Sean Lau Wins Best Actor at 49th Golden Horse Awards

By on November 25, 2012 in Movies

The 49th Golden Horse Awards were held in Taipei on November 24, 2012. Sean Lau (劉青雲) and Gwei Lun Mei (桂綸鎂) won the Best Actor and Best Actress awards respectively. Hong Kong talent dominated the major awards victories, while Taiwan had a weak representation.

Sean Lau delivered a brilliant performance as a triad set to recover money lost in a local loan shark scheme in the film, Life without Principles <奪命金>. Sean hugged good friend and former Golden Horse Best Actor, Nick Cheung (張家輝) before going on stage. Sean said.” I want to thank the director, my family and wife. This award should go to my father in-law who lives in Taiwan, who will call me  to let me know the response of the media about my movies.”

Gwei Lun Mei (桂綸鎂) won the Best Actress award for her performance as a woman involved in a love triangle in the film, Girlfriend, Boyfriend <女朋友 男朋友>. She burst into tears and said, “Thank you to the panel of judges, I am grateful for all the support and motivation during my career. I like making movies and will continue to do so. I want to thank my parents for putting up with my bad temper and for allowing your daughter to pursue her passion.”

Hong Kong director, Johnnie To <杜琪峰> won Best Director for Life Without Principles. He was not present at the ceremony, but Sean Lau picked up the award on behalf of Johnnie.

China’s Beijing Blues <神探亨特張> won the Best Film award. Director Gao Qunshu (高群书) was shocked in receiving the award, and he thanked the world for giving an unknown director such as himself the recognition.

Mainland actress, Liang Jing (梁靜) won the Best Supporting Actress award for her performance as a toothy midwife in Design of Death <杀生>. She said the original actress resigned from filming, so her costumes were too big, and she had to wear false teeth to play a fisherman. Her husband is the director of the film, but this did not result in any conflicts for Liang Jing.

Hong Kong actor, Ronald Cheng (鄭中基) won the Best Supporting Actor award for his performance in Vulgaria <低俗喜劇>. Ronald was so excited to win and told the media that he thought a comedic role would not have a chance to win the award. He will continue to film more comedies and hopes more viewers will watch his movies.

Chin Ka Lok (錢嘉樂) won an award for Best Action Choreography in Motorway <車手>, and he was the only one who provided some humor at the long  ceremony.  He spoke in broken Mandarin, “Thank you, Anthony Wong (黃秋生), Shawn Yue (余文樂) and the team of backstage heroes. I am very lucky this year to have gotten married, become a father, and receive a Golden Horse Award.” Chin Ka Lok thanked his mentor Sammo Hung (洪金寶), who was responsible choreography for Tai Chi Zero <太極之零開始>. Ka Lok said, “Without Sammo, I would not be here today!”

Speaking to the media afterwards, Ka Lok said,”I love walking on the red carpet, so the international film makers will know how many movies I have made.” He also chuckled and said, ” I don’t know a lot of English, but my feeling of winning is amazing!”

The 49th Golden Horse Awards was a star studded event that included many famous movie stars from Hong Kong, mainland China and Taiwan. Andy Lau (劉德華), Deanie Ip (葉德嫻), Nicholas Tse (謝霆鋒), Chapman To (杜汶澤), Denise Ho (何韻詩), Nick Cheung (張家輝), Angelababy (楊穎) and Chiling Lin (林志玲) walked the red carpet and set the press into a frenzy.

49th Golden Horse Awards- Video Footage

Sources: On.cc, On.cc, On.cc, On.cc, On.cc, On.cc

This article is written by Lance for JayneStars.com.

32 comments to Sean Lau Wins Best Actor at 49th Golden Horse Awards

1. Profile photo of jayne jayne says:

Congrats to Sean Lau, Chin Ka Lok and all the winners! Looks like Ka Lok has established a strong reputation for his action choreography skills.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
  2. Nicole says:

Was Sean Lau’s acting in Life without Principles that impressive? Who were the other candidates?

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
    • Profile photo of jayne jayne replied:

Nicole,
      The other Best Actor nominees were:

Nick Cheung (張家輝) – Nightfall
      Sean Lau (劉青雲) – Life Without Principle
      Joseph Chang (張孝全) – Gf * Bf
      Chapman To (杜汶澤) – Vulgaria
      Nicholas Tse (謝霆鋒) – The Viral Factor

Other nominees in other categories listed here:

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
    • dd replied:

Personally I feel it should have gone to Joe Chang.

Login or Register before you can reply to dd
      • kiki replied:

i like him too. hes not overly handsome but he has a certain ‘charm’ to him.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiki
  3. Shirleypow says:

Wonderful, he got it! Great!

Login or Register before you can reply to Shirleypow
  4. Carole says:

CONGRATULATIONS to Sean Lau. So glad that he won. He acted so well in The Bullet Vanishes .

Login or Register before you can reply to Carole
  5. Woot says:

I watched that movie…honestly, I thought it was the usual standard for most HK movies lately. Sean Lau is an amazing actor, but he’s been in a greater role with greater performance, so I’m not sure if this is the best one to win the award, but I’m happy he did anyway cuz he’s always so awesome! :)

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
  6. dd says:

Taiwan had a really rough year.

Also, Nightfall.
    Really?
    REALLY?!!

What the f***.

Login or Register before you can reply to dd
  7. Kaka says:

Congrats to Sean Lau, he’s a great actor!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Kaka
  8. exoidus says:

Why isn’t Tony Leung nominated for his role in “Silent War” and Aaron Kwok “Floating City”. Both were better than Sean Lau in that movie.

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  9. blurjen says:

way to go Sean and plse ask Amy to come back to TVB !

Login or Register before you can reply to blurjen
    • GiaKiem replied:

I like your comment . I’d love Amy to come back :)

Login or Register before you can reply to GiaKiem
  10. Poppy says:

I like Sean Lau and thinks that he is a great actor. However, he seems to be winning all the time. Surely some of the other (just as good) actors should get a look in sometime to make it fairer.

Login or Register before you can reply to Poppy
    • Kristy replied:

Sean Lau has been nominated a lot for the Golden Horse Awards, but if I recalled correctly this is his first Golden Horse Award he’s actually won.

Why should they make it fair? Every movie is a different character and challenge, if they excelled at it and made the movie great, then they should receive an award for it. Or maybe you think they should do it like TVB? Give everyone an award so it’s more “fairer”

Login or Register before you can reply to Kristy
    • Carole replied:

Nah, he didn’t win many times.
      Nominated 9 times in HK film award and won ONCE.
      Nominated 2 times in Golden Horse and won once.
      He truly deserve the accolades.

Login or Register before you can reply to Carole
  11. Eros says:

He deserves it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Eros
  12. Newton Law says:

Some comments by Netizens

Taiwanese model Lin Chi-ling especially raised some eyebrows with her sexy gown, which revealed her large assets.

When she went up on stage to present the award for Best Director, she bent down to hand the award over to actor Lau Ching Wan, in the process showing off her ample cleavage.

Netizens called her behaviour “unbecoming” and “unlady-like”. They further criticised her “fake kiss” on stage with fellow presenter Huang Bo, which they said was obscene.

When presenting the award, Chi-ling said her dream was to have a kissing scene with Hong Kong heartthrob Andy Lau. She then closed her eyes, puckered her lips and leaned towards Huang Bo, who appeared to be totally shocked and excited.

Taiwanese model Lin Chi-ling’s antics on stage lead many netizens to say she is “trying too hard” to gain media attention.

She later performed a skit on stage with co-host Huang Bo, where she pretended to kiss him.

She then closed her eyes, pursed her lips and leaned towards Huang Bo, who appeared to be totally shocked and excited.

Some said her leaning foward and bending down to present the award was a deliberate attempt to show off her breasts

Netizens said her act was “obscene”.

Login or Register before you can reply to Newton Law
    • Veejay replied:

I have a feeling that Chi Ling’s perky voice was made up. Its not her natural voice.

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
      • Funn Lim replied:

I think her entire image is built on feminine and sexiness. Hence her clothes. And she has the body to wear it.

Chinese audience has something against a sexy woman. I am sure marilyn monroe would have been branded as obscene.

As for her voice, of course probably she made it more girllish, more sexy (chinese word can describe that as “chiu hei” or something like that). But she speaks that way from beginning until now. Her voice apparently seduced a lot of men and I can understand why. She is feminine.

• Veejay replied:

No doubt she’s pretty and feminine and can seduce alot of men with that kind of body…but still I can’t stand her voice, ha ha ha.. i guess only women can’t stand it but men likes it so muchhhhh.

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
    • Critics replied:

Yep, her antics were widely reported.

And yet she is working with children under her personal charity foundation.

The parents of those children better think twice to allow their children to be exposed to her behavior and character.

Login or Register before you can reply to Critics
    • Newton Law replied:

Wonder how the Longines guys are thinking on her antics.

Her Obscene Antic is truly not an Elegant Attitude.

Login or Register before you can reply to Newton Law
      • Darren replied:

i saw the clip and personally it isnt’ much to talk about. Her asset isn’t like those girls from Vulgaria. NEXT

Login or Register before you can reply to Darren
  13. Passerby says:

Sean Lau? I thought his name was Andy? When did he start calling himself Sean?

Login or Register before you can reply to Passerby
    • Funn Lim replied:

Andy Lau is Lau Tak Wah. Sean Lau is Lau Ching Wan. He has always been Sean.

• Kidd replied:

He used to be Andy. I remember a long time ago, I read a Chinese entertainment mag in English. Lau Ching Wan’s name was written as Andy. I think Sean was a name he used later.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Looooooooooo replied:

Please don’t confuse me

Login or Register before you can reply to Looooooooooo
    • Tegan replied:

Yeah, “Sean Lau” gives me pause as well. Come to think of it, I have seldom seen him referred to as Sean Lau. I was reading an English newspaper report (The Straits Times) about the Golden Horse Awards today and they called him Lau Ching Wan.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tegan
      • Funn Lim replied:

Eh I thought he was Sean for a long time.

14. 4siansLin says:

Who is Sean Lau?!?!?!? I always thought of him as Lau Ching Wan. You can practically give the award to Mr. Lau every year, he is just deep into his character.

Login or Register before you can reply to 4siansLin
  15. longhair says:

Yay. Well done Lau Ching Wan! Good night for Hong Kong movies. Goes to show that Hong Kong movies are still the best in the Chinese-speaking world.

Login or Register before you can reply to longhair