Raymond Lam to Win JSG Most Popular Male Singer Award?

By on January 8, 2013 in MUSIC

Rumors have been floating around that TVB intends to compensate Raymond Lam (林峯) for his loss of TV King with the Most Popular Male Singer Award at the Jade Solid Gold Awards, to be held on January 13.

In the past 4 years, the Most Popular Male Singer Award has been dominated by Leo Ku (古巨基). Leo had expressed late last year that he would pass up on the ceremony, and instead go on an overdue vacation with his family. In addition, because of TVB’s dispute with the “Big Four” record companies (Warner Music, Universal Music, EMI and Sony Music) over copyright payments, the ceremony will see the absence of singers such as Hacken Lee (李克勤) and Eason Chan (陳奕迅). Thus, Raymond has a great chance at winning this award for the first time.

Asia Pacific Most Popular Awards Expanded

In an attempt to quell rumors of unfairness, TVB executives have allegedly decided to change the “Asia Pacific Most Popular Hong Kong Artist Awards” to “Asia Pacific Most Popular Artist Awards” to include singers from China, Taiwan, Singapore and Malaysia for the awards this year.

After Raymond Lam and Ivana Wong (王菀之) clinched the “Asia Pacific Most Popular Hong Kong Artists Awards” last year, netizens created an uproar claiming the awards ceremony was a hoax.  Without the presence of singers from the “Big Four” record companies last year,  Raymond and Ivana were apparent shoo-ins for the awards.

On that account, Raymond Lam may face stiff competition from Taiwan’s Show Luo (羅志祥) and May Day (五月天). The top female singer awards will probably be a clash between Joey Yung (容祖兒) and Taiwanese singing sensation, Elva Hsiao (蕭亞軒). However, TVB has yet to respond over the reported qualification changes for the Asia Pacific region awards.

Dismal Line-Up

Without the presence of many singers from the “Big Four”, TVB has limited choices for the performance segment of the awards ceremony. As of now, Fiona Sit (薛凱琪), Shirley Kwan (關淑怡), Kay Tse (謝安琪) and G.E.M. (鄧紫棋) will perform. Singers from The Voice <超級巨聲> – Hubert Wu (胡鴻鈞) and Jay Fung (馮允謙) will make guest appearances too.

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Karen for JayneStars.com.

40 comments to Raymond Lam to Win JSG Most Popular Male Singer Award?

1. AL says:

no matter what is the reason…i love Raymond to win the award…he deserves it, he has great music this year! anyway,,,it is always rumor…hard to predict whether TVB will really give Raymond the award!

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
    • James replied:

I find it appalling how people can take the TVB music awards seriously. 3/4 of the music industry aren’t even showing up (only EEG artists and Gold Label).

If anything, giving Raymond the best actor award would have at least been way more credible than giving him the best singer award…you can argue all you want about his loyal fanbase but his songs don’t chart well (look them up yourself).

Login or Register before you can reply to James
      • looooooooooooooo replied:

Based on the whole yearly round -up of 2012, we can justified that LF deserved the asia pacific most popular singer and why not most popular singer. I only believe eason only had an edge on him and leo’s popularity is on the demise.

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooooooo
      • YanYanKong replied:

I live in Vancouver and listen to the chinese radio station. His songs really don’t chart well and you can’t even see his songs nominated on the year end top ten songs voting. I like his singing and most of his songs, but I rarely hear it on the radio and It seems like only one DJ on that station likes Ray’s singing (The DJ is prob in her 50’s by the way).

If you look at the JSG awards this way though and only count the singers from the 2 music companies, then Raymond will be the only singer that deserves the most popular male singer award. What other male singers are there from the 2 companies that can sing and dance at the same time as well as Ray can? Plus, it’s the MOST POPULAR male singer. You can totally see how popular he is with his fan base.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • Fox replied:

Which songs dun chart well? Stone did top 3 charts and now End of being naive are running in all 4 charts, even 903 (5th last week) :P.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • looooooooooooooo replied:

gold song should goes to gin lee

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooooooo
      • YanYanKong replied:

Yeah, I was surprised that TUNG LAM is doing so well on the radio station this year. It was ranked 4th on the top 20 song chart last week(Here in Canada). I don’t rmb any of his songs even getting close to top 3. I have a feeling 4th will be the highest this song goes cause I haven’t heard it on the radio this week, but I do hope it continues to 1st place.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
    • Ric replied:

It’s not hard to predict at all. Raymond is the only choice if Leo does not participate and the Big 4 artists also do not come. I can’t think of a single name to give it to besides Raymond.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
      • looooooooooooooo replied:

what about edmond leung or chilam?

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooooooo
      • YanYanKong replied:

Edmond and Chi Lam? I don’t think Edmond is good at singing or else he would have won at least one best male singer award during the course of his many many years as a singer. And Chi Lam, he’s not bad, I think he can sing, but not that active in the music scene. Also, one thing they can’t beat Ray is singing live and dancing at the same time.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • Gar replied:

I’ve been fortunate to see LF in concert twice when he was touring in North America and I have to wholeheartedly agree with YanYanKong that he is pretty amazing when he sings live and dances at the same time. He’s definitely a great performer and I love his voice!

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
      • YanYanKong replied:

@ Gar

Finally, someone else who likes Ray for his good singing and performing, not for his looks. May I ask for your gender please? I’m a female by the way, but please, not one of his crazy fan girls.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • RayIan replied:

I love both Lam Fung and Chilam voices, but currently Chilam not actively involve in music industry and produce album.
        I would like some day they will compete with each other in music industry and acting in the same series/movies together, that would be great.

Login or Register before you can reply to RayIan
  2. miriamfanz says:

I don’t think there’s a doubt about Raymond’s popularity in HK and I wouldn’t argue if he does win it. But the Asia award last year was really a big stretch

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
    • looooooooooooooo replied:

asia pacific is justified but gold song ? we really have a doubt

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooooooo
  3. AC says:

I feel like there’s been rumors of Raymond getting it for months now. lol. that being said, I do hope he gets it. :)

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
  4. sau says:

def want raymond lam to win, i really dont like leo ku, i use to but since he starting getting famous, he’s lost that touch! thinks too much of himself..

Login or Register before you can reply to sau
    • YanYanKong replied:

I never liked Leo cause I never thought he could sing! When you watch him sing live, he doesn’t even know how to use the proper techniques to sing and he can’t even dance. He’s only lucky to have received such good songs to perform which made him famous.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • Gar replied:

I’m not a fan of Leo’s but I have to say that he does sing the No Regrets theme song really well. That song is actually quite difficult to master with the sudden change in pitches and the lengthening of certain notes. He does it rather effortlessly.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
      • Rachel replied:

I agree so much! Leo is ok but he is considered a “senior” in the singing industry. I like his song from no regrets. I think raymond deserves it more though. For the tv king award too because I think he has more fans than Wayne lai. Raymond sings too so it adds on to the amount of fans he has. I think the JSG awards aren’t as important as the tv king award but I think even if Raymond was to leave tvb he would make it in the mainland

Login or Register before you can reply to Rachel
  5. Ric says:

I don’t think the award will be given to Raymond to just compensate for his loss at the TVB anniversary awards. More like there is no one else to give it to. There’s no other option but him.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
    • June replied:

I agree with you, Ric. That’s TVB

Login or Register before you can reply to June
    • Fox replied:

What’s loss at Txb anni award? He dun lose anything but the politic of Txb did.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  6. Larry 3 says:

TVB always being pathetic.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  7. Jeff says:

Raymond winning most popular male singer is possible and theres not much to argue, But knowing TVB and tabloids they might just be Hyping Raymond up and used as a promotion pawn, Just like they did for the Best actor award~

Speaking of which, Highs and Lows was a good performance for Ray but not his best!~ I didn’t have a problem for him losing to Wayne or even Kenneth but what bothers me was how TVB set it up and pushed it so hard that it was going to be him and then give him nothing~ Poor guy~

But as a Raymond fan, I really hope he gets this one~

Login or Register before you can reply to Jeff
    • AL replied:

i am totally with you…agree 100%

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
      • Raina replied:

For years, Raymond has been used for promotions. I sometimes think the whole entire linda chung fiasco was meant to promote her since she was new. Perhaps, raymond had a bit of an attraction towards her, or maybe not, but I do know he was getting real annoyed as the rumors continued even when MR was done airing. Now, if only I can find those articles…

Login or Register before you can reply to Raina
      • Gar replied:

Raymond and Linda do look pretty good together. Oh well….but I do wonder what Linda didn’t like about him though.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
      • Raina replied:

Gar,

I never took them seriously cause of how the endless reports just coming and both kept denying. Also, ive seen them together at a concert, both were very awkward with one another as far as chemistry goes. And it wasnt the kind of awkwardness where they like each other and were shy.

I dont think anyone can top michelle ye and raymond lam’s chemistry. Haha kinda off topic but yeah.

Login or Register before you can reply to Raina
    • Mark Lim replied:

Damn, you hit the nail on the spot about what happened to Raymond. And looking by the news, it looks like he won the JSG award already. Well deserved.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mark Lim
  8. [email protected] says:

THIS YEAR, BESIDE JSG, RAYMOND LAM HAD MANY AWARDS FROM CHANNELS IN HK SUCH AS METRO RADIO WITH 3 AWARDS… NOW, THIS YEAR, HE REALLY DESERVES TO WIN BOTH POPULAR MALE SINGERS IN HK AND ASIA… I DON’T THINK LEO KU CAN BE MORE POPULAR THAN HIM NOW…LOOKING AT VOTING SYSTEMS FOR MUSIC AWRARDS, RAY ALMOST GET THE TOP…WITH LARGE FANS BASE… I NEVER LEO’ SINGING AND VOICE… TERRIBLE,,, SO FAR RAY OVERCOMES LEO KU VERY SOON IF RAY ENTER EEG AND THEN EEG GIVE RAY SUPER SONGS TO SING!

Login or Register before you can reply to [email protected]
    • Larry 3 replied:

Something wrong with you?

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  9. Tvb fan says:

Hahahaha

Consolation award!

Login or Register before you can reply to Tvb fan
  10. looooooooooo says:

without award, you cannot proceed to stage to thanks your family, friends, colleague,manager etc.that is the whole idea

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooo
  11. Mark Lim says:

I don’t think music awards matter much to Raymond Lam anymore. He’s close to retirement, I can definitely see it. All he wants is good ending to his career before returning to his family business, which is being TV King.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mark Lim
    • YanYanKong replied:

I can see that attitude in him too. Doesn’t seem like he cares about awards. He cares most about family. So you can say for write anything about him, but if it affects his family, then he totally can’t take it.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
  12. Mark Lim says:

Well, aren’t you a bit late to reality. It’s been like this forever. Awards are always rigged, if not, 90% of the time. Legitimate awards are hard to come by now.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mark Lim
    • YanYanKong replied:

Then maybe we should do a poll for music on this site just like Jayne did here for the dramas. And make sure everyone votes according to singing performance, not for looks or anything like that.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong
      • Fox replied:

Lolz, I really doubt that many ppl here can be that fair (means based on the performance alone, not any other factors).

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • YanYanKong replied:

Yeah, so why are people here complaining about the results of the awards and how unfair they are, when they won’t be fair if their votes were counted.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong