61 Applicants at Miss Hong Kong 2017 Second Round Interviews

By on June 27, 2017 in NEWS

61 Applicants at Miss Hong Kong 2017 Second Round Interviews

Miss Hong Kong 2017 held its second round interviews today. From over 130 applicants at the first round interviews, 61 women were called back for second round interviews.

Emerging as this year’s number one favorite, 24-year-old Kelly Ng from Canada was immediately dubbed as a young Carmen Lee (李若彤). Appearing in a pale pink bodycon dress and a ponytail, Kelly expressed that she is confident about the competition.

Twenty-three-year-old Boanne Cheung (張寶欣) is the younger sister of Bowie Cheung (張寶兒), winner of Miss Friendship 2016. Boanne revealed that Bowie shared advice on how to pose elegantly for photos.

Louisa Mak‘s (麥明詩) friend, Christina, is another confident applicant. Wearing a low-cut dress and showing off her toned figure, the 22-year-old admitted that she is not too fluent in Cantonese.

Other favorites include 23-year-old Nicole Wu (胡美貽), 21-year-old Michelle, 23-year-olds Regina and Nicole Kam. Nicole Wu resembled Tracy Chu (朱千雪) due to her sweet smile.

This year’s youngest applicant is 17-year-old Mandy, who stood out at 5-feet-7-inches. Twenty-five-year-old Suki is the tallest applicant at 5-feet-10 inches.

Twenty-year-old Shirley is a native from Harbin, China and resembles both Moka Fong (方媛) and Krystal, a member of Korean girl group f(x).

Several applicants stood out with their awkward features. Surprisingly, 22-year-old Tomato was called back for a second interview despite her toothy smile and bony figure. Twenty-three-year-old Moon Ho resembles Lord Voldemort from Harry Potter. Twenty-seven-year-old Amanda was one of the oldest contestants as well as one of the hairiest, with unkempt hair all over her legs.

Source: Ming Pao

This article is written by Su for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?
61 Applicants at Miss Hong Kong 2017 Second Round Interviews

• Miss Hong Kong, Juliette Louie, Doesn't Care About Being Called Ugly(37)
  • Grace Chan Mentors Kelly Ng in Miss Hong Kong Pageant(1)
  • Hot Favorites for Miss Hong Kong 2017(0)

• 19 comments to 61 Applicants at Miss Hong Kong 2017 Second Round Interviews

1. Profile photo of coralie coralie says:

Wow talk about personal attacks. This is unnecessarily blunt and mean

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
    2. Profile photo of happybi happybi says:

Lord Voldemort!! OMG too funny!! but I saw some pic of the first round and some of the girls really does look odd!!!

The girl in the red up top has a nice smile.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
      • Profile photo of bubbletea bubbletea replied:

@happybi I totally agree with you. If any of these girls go to TVB, I hope they can act and sing , really, really well, cause their looks are nothing to write home about, and that is what these shallow beauty contests are about.;…Looks.

Sorry to say that but it is the truth.

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbletea
    3. Profile photo of yuannie yuannie says:

Woah… The last paragraph is really mean and totally uncalled for.

Login or Register before you can reply to yuannie
      • Profile photo of nigel nigel replied:

@yuannie indeed why why why? The whole article was badly written. Really mean

Login or Register before you can reply to nigel
    4. Profile photo of opalowl opalowl says:

Mean and uncalled for? Well, they entered a competition to be judged on their looks. Don’t want shallow comments? Don’t enter a beauty contest.

Login or Register before you can reply to opalowl
      • Profile photo of jjwong jjwong replied:

@opalowl Agree. It’s a beauty pageant so looks is the main focus and critics.

Though I don’t see Moon Ho and Voldermort resemblence. And why Amanda doesn’t have a last name? Lazy writing, lol. And none of these girls look anything like the so-called look alike mentioned. Credible of this article is questionable xD

Login or Register before you can reply to jjwong
      • @opalowl there is a difference between evaluating and even commenting on someone’s physical appearance (which, yes, in the context of beauty contests is fair game) and downright uncivilised borderline hateful personal attacks.

The sad thing is grown up, adult people perpetuating this kind of mean spirited culture.

Would you be okay if it were children saying those things to their peers? Is that the message we want to send to the younger generation?

Whether or not contests like these attract comments like those or not, if the first reaction you have by reading this article is: “Well, they asked for it,” instead of “wow, people are vile” then I ask you to re-evaluate your own morality.

Login or Register before you can reply to peanutbutterjelly
        • Profile photo of opalowl opalowl replied:

@peanutbutterjelly Nice try but…

Whenever someone with a chip on their shoulder decides to act as a moral police, it turns into pigeon’s chess.

If you as an adult can’t handle the facts, perhaps you should evaluate the opinions you offer others. Walk the walk, not offer lip service.

Login or Register before you can reply to opalowl
        • @opalowl Try what? My opinion basically boils down to: “Don’t be a sh!tty person.”

I’d rather be accused of ‘moral policing’ than be the person who tried to defend the act of calling other people a ‘Voldemort lookalike’. Whether you think that’s a ‘fact’ or not it’s still a reprehensible act. As a human being, adult or not, no one deserves such treatment.

Also, criticising your comment isn’t the same as an attack or personal insults so I don’t understand how I’m not ‘walking the walk’.

Login or Register before you can reply to peanutbutterjelly
        • Profile photo of opalowl opalowl replied:

@peanutbutterjelly

How is giving an opinion you disagree with being a sh1tty person? Does being a self proclaimed moral police mean your opinion or actions above others? An opinion is just that, an opinion. You don’t have to agree with it, but its not amoral or uncalled for when its being asked. These contestants GAVE permission to be judged and that’s exactly what happened here. Can’t stand the heat, gtfo out of the kitchen. Don’t want to be judged on a subjective matter? DO NOT ASK OTHERS TO JUDGE YOU IN A BEAUTY CONTEST. Seriously, its that simple. You can’t expect to have the cake and eat it too.

Login or Register before you can reply to opalowl
        • @opalowl defending and perpetuating mean and vile comments is sh!tty behaviour. It might be your opinion that the women deserved to be humiliated publicly but that’s a sh!tty opinion nonetheless.

Opinions are not exempt from criticisms, sorry. Accusing someone from moral policing doesn’t make the criticism of that person invalid, sorry not sorry.

Login or Register before you can reply to peanutbutterjelly
        • Profile photo of opalowl opalowl replied:

@peanutbutterjelly

Moralizing a situation when it’s not necessary is redundant. It just an act to do ‘the right thing’ and act self righteous. I understand its the biggest achievement for some individuals, but at least do it where it’s appreciated. These beauty contestants knew what they were getting into when they signed up for the pageant. They’re asking to be judged on their looks, not crying for help from subjective opinions.

Sh1tty person or not I’m not worried about criticisms from a nobody online, I only care about the freedom of speech in this situation. Especially when said person is invited to a function and asked for their subjective opinion. Everyone should have the basic right to freedom of speech. You have no issues with that right even though you were never asked for an assessment of my moral character. Yet, you have issues with others that’s exercising that very same right. Luckily, nobody was censored here because of your tunnel vision or nonsense moral code.

Free speech is there to protect what we don’t want to hear, not to protect what we want to hear. Imagine a world where free speech is no longer valid because it was deemed ‘mean’ or ‘vile’ for a moral police or even some extremists. I reckon North Korea must be paradise for you. The citizens are only allowed to say how wonderful their leader is. I’m sure you’ll fit right in since it’s all rainbows and gold from an unicorn’s bottom. Like I said from my first response to you, pigeon chess. Perhaps the better description for someone like you is bigotry.

Login or Register before you can reply to opalowl
        • @opalowl

Wow. So many logical fallacies, I’m having a field day!

————————————————————————

“Moralizing a situation when it’s not necessary is redundant.”

+++And? So is commenting on this article. Or do you think what you said is productive in any way? Redundant or not, still doesn’t make my statements invalid.

————————————————————————

“These beauty contestants knew what they were getting into when they signed up for the pageant. They’re asking to be judged on their looks, not crying for help from subjective opinions.”

+++You knew what you were getting into when you posted the scoffing comment. This is the internet. You’re asking for some kind of reaction when you hit that send button or did you think you’re screaming into a void? Same logic.

————————————————————————

“Sh1tty person or not I’m not worried about criticisms from a nobody online”

+++Says the person who kept replying to said criticism. I mean if it really doesn’t bother you at all you could’ve just ignored me altogether, I promise you my feelings won’t be hurt.

————————————————————————

” I only care about the freedom of speech in this situation.”

“Everyone should have the basic right to freedom of speech.”

+++You know that everyone includes me right? Also you act like I’m demanding for some kind of censorship? Criticising the CONTEXT of what you said is absolutely different than crying for censorship. I’m simply exercising MY right for freedom of speech (remember? The thing you care so much about?). Me exercising my right doesn’t censor or prevent you from saying anything and neither did I ask for such thing so your whole point was, dare I say, redundant.

————————————————————————

“You have no issues with that right even though you were never asked for an assessment of my moral character.”

+++ And I still don’t have issues with it because I like your right to say sh!tty things because I love my right to call you out on it. Isn’t this a wonderful arrangement?

——————————————————————————-

“Free speech is there to protect what we don’t want to hear, not to protect what we want to hear.”

+++Right back at you!

Also, I want to take this chance to remind everyone this very noble and wise sounding statement coming from opalowl in context translates to: yes ‘journalists’ can call a young woman ‘a Voldemort lookalike’ because FREEDOM.

I’m both amused and depressed at the same time. Go figure.

————————————————————————
          ———————————————————————–

Jesus, how did it come to this?

I mean what happened was basically:

You: “This is my opinion”

Me: “Your opinion is sh!tty”

You: “Oh my god you’re attacking freedom of speech how dare you you must love North Korea BIGOT!”

That escalated quickly.

(I’m not exaggerating people, look at our convo, it’s all here for you to read because my North Korean loving ass failed to censor them. My plans are foiled oh I am so sad)

Seriously kid, I’d have more respect for you if you just would’ve left it at ‘I don’t care that my opinion is sh!tty mind your own business grandpa!’

But noooo, going on this whole straw man ‘freedom of speech’ rant and how you find it so important but started it because you got all prickly when I was just calling out on your BS opinion and therefore exercising my right. How ironic.

Come at me more with your logical fallacies if you want, I feel like being unproductive and redundant.

But we both know you wouldn’t because you are:

“not worried about criticisms from a nobody online”

Wise words. I agree. I support you. Practice what you preach.

Login or Register before you can reply to peanutbutterjelly
        • Profile photo of pleikupho pleikupho replied:

@peanutbutterjelly seriously. The Voldemort comparison is uncalled for. You wouldn’t find comments like that in an American pageant. Why is the Hk press so mean and vile?

Login or Register before you can reply to pleikupho
        • Profile photo of opalowl opalowl replied:

@pleikupho

Hmm, interesting.

Login or Register before you can reply to opalowl
        • @pleikupho I dont know, because ‘freedom of speech’ or something. Ask opalowl, they know a lot about that.

Maybe not that it’s a double edged sword that can cut everyone, including them, but I’m sure they’re about to find out.

Login or Register before you can reply to peanutbutterjelly
    5. Profile photo of rucofan1100 rucofan1100 says:

wonder which american, canadian, raised-overseas-maybe-spent-2-minutes-in-hongkong-and-has-no-idea-who-the-chief-executive-is beauty is gonna win miss “hong kong” this year

Login or Register before you can reply to rucofan1100
      • Profile photo of jjwong jjwong replied:

@rucofan1100 LOL! Good jab. Worse, some doesn’t even speak Canto xD

Though in their defense, MHK doesn’t do any HK-ambassador things like Miss USA. MHK is basically a foot in the TVB door. So it isn’t a big deal for them to know nothing about HK IMO.

I’m curious: Does HK not have homegrown beauty? Do these contestants and/or past winners rly have no ties with HK whatsoever (i.e. relatives in HK)?

Login or Register before you can reply to jjwong