Aimee Chan Grateful for TVB to Stretch Acting Ability

By on January 22, 2013 in NEWS, Star Interviews

Aimee Chan (陳茵媺) , the Miss Hong Kong turned TVB actress who hails from Toronto, Canada, can always be seen with a sweet smile and cheerful personality. Yet, when it comes to acting in a series, Aimee takes her roles very seriously and passionately.

Aimee reveals that each time she prepares for a new role, she will read the script continuously and practice her lines over and over until she begins to turn herself into that character. Similar to her breakthrough role of Oi Tai in The Last Steep Ascent<天梯>, Aimee poured herself into that role and truly felt for the character. “I feel so bad for Oi Tai and her tragic experience. Her background and mine are completely different. I feel much more fortunate because I don’t have the burdens of a family and I had a very happy childhood. When I had to get into character as Oi Tai, I had to hold back because I’m usually a very hyper person. I had to keep reminding myself that I’m no longer a happy and lucky girl, rather, as Oi Tai, I was on the verge of suicide and depression.

“During the 5 months of filming, I did become very depressed internally. I couldn’t smile and couldn’t be my usual cheerful self, so I understand why it’s so difficult for actors to sometimes withdraw themselves from their roles. Another actor taught me that I can only stay in character during filming. When I go home, I have to take a long hot bath and pop a bottle of champagne to remind myself who I really am. That’s the only way I can continue to do what I love – acting.”

Although Aimee is given more leading roles and opportunities within TVB lately, she does not let that change her outlook. “I am thankful that I can continue to act in Hong Kong and I’m really appreciative that TVB gives me a variety of roles to play, and that the producers have faith in me to let me carry on different types of roles. To be honest, I’m not especially bright and my Chinese isn’t that good, but for them to believe in me and give me these opportunities – I couldn’t be more thankful. I just hope to be the best actress I can be for the audience and play a wider variety of roles.”

With Aimee’s optimistic and happy-go-lucky personality and the right touch of luck and opportunities, she is easily on the road to stardom.

Source: Lisa Magazine via kuangaitvb.com

This article is written by Natalie for JayneStars.com.

48 comments to Aimee Chan Grateful for TVB to Stretch Acting Ability

1. airtranbay says:

sorry, but she can’t act

Login or Register before you can reply to airtranbay
    • wish_18 replied:

totally agree with u

Login or Register before you can reply to wish_18
  2. Mlove says:

No…. I don’t wanna see her in any tvb series anymore. You blewed ur chance.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mlove
  3. Mr. Lee says:

Having Moses as a boyfriend has it’s benefits……

Login or Register before you can reply to Mr. Lee
    • Anna replied:

agree

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna
      • Nelly replied:

Ditto ^^

Login or Register before you can reply to Nelly
      • Angie replied:

^^Ditto Again. LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to Angie
  4. passerby says:

Not a pretty sight.

Login or Register before you can reply to passerby
  5. Nicole says:

Should be acting disability instead.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
  6. Fai says:

Your depressed when acting the role….dude….I as the audience is depressed just watching you “try” to act!

She’s just so lucky to have Moses….so many TVB actress out there who can act so much better and never got the chances that she is getting. I guess that one’s life!

Not a very cute pic of her in this article.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fai
  7. pepe69 says:

she is one of the petty leng-lui which makes guys salivate…whoowhoo

Login or Register before you can reply to pepe69
  8. Bubblez says:

Compared to some past Miss Hong Kongs, I feel like Aimee Chan cannot act at all. And I really think that if she wasn’t dating Moses, she will probably get less leading roles.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    • Sds replied:

You do know that the vast majority of past ms hk can’t act if pushed in front of a train right?

Login or Register before you can reply to Sds
      • Bubblez replied:

Past Miss Hong Kong participants include Florence Kwok, Mandy Cho, Halina Tam..

All of these are older but they can definitely act!

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  9. shumai says:

what acting ability??! she’s as stiff as a corpse.

Login or Register before you can reply to shumai
  10. Daisy says:

He Cantonese is pretty bad still… I know she’ mostly speaks in English and all but can’t she at least try to improve her canto? Like Fala speaks mandarin but her Cantonese is already 3x better than her!

Login or Register before you can reply to Daisy
  11. jasmine7 says:

It’s always good when couples fall in love, dating, etc, but I find Moses and Aimee are flaunting their relationship and a little over the top. For some reason I find it irritating and annoying.

Enough’s enough.

Login or Register before you can reply to jasmine7
  12. lkv says:

:)12 comments and all stated the same thing: she sucks :(

^^

Login or Register before you can reply to lkv
    • LP replied:

i’ll add another one..she sucks big time!!

Login or Register before you can reply to LP
  13. LyNN says:

She is plainly just cute. Aside to that, she doesn’t has the beauty to win her any bigger roles.

But, she is really lucky to have Moses. That’s why she has been promoted badly despite without the look to win audience.

As on acting skills, time will tell whether she will improve? I believe it’s a matter of opportunities for grooming which she already got the privileges from TVB.

Login or Register before you can reply to LyNN
  14. Sds says:

Lol theres so much hate articles about aimee should b banned from here

Login or Register before you can reply to Sds
    • oafy replied:

You mean the hate articles should be banned or Aimee? =)

Login or Register before you can reply to oafy
      • oafy replied:

Hmm… Actually I’ve figured where all the punctuation should in that sentence.

Login or Register before you can reply to oafy
      • SDS replied:

The missing punctuation wasn’t actually deliberate, but now that I think about it, it is kinda funny.

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
    • Profile photo of jayne jayne replied:

SDS,
      Aimee appears to be a bubbly and very positive person. Viewers just need to look outside of her acting and dating life a bit.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • SDS replied:

I find her acting acceptable so I’m probably watching a different Aimee Chan from a lot of the commentators here :)

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
      • passerby replied:

Then she should be in a different profession?

Login or Register before you can reply to passerby
  15. Exo jern says:

I liked her when she was Miss HK and the year after, she had a princess look then. I still like her but getting a bit overrated!

Login or Register before you can reply to Exo jern
  16. Gia says:

I think a new requirement need to be enforce in TVB, if you can’t act at least be drop dead gorgeous !This includes guys too.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gia
  17. Critical acclaim says:

Aime did well in ‘The last steep ascent’. You guys who say she can’t act, are the same ones who now clamour for Charmane Sheh, who also can’t act in her early drams, like ‘Detective investigation files’, of which you conveniently forget.

Bet in your first job, you muddled through in blurry fashion and don’t even know how to press the fax machine or coffee maker,,…

Login or Register before you can reply to Critical acclaim
    • Josie replied:

The difference is Aimee is no longer a newbie. DIF was Charmaine’s 3rd series and Rebecca debuted in SSSS. Aimee has been in over 10 series!

And most ppl get their first job during high school or college so they shouldn’t be complete morons who can’t function at an entry level.

Login or Register before you can reply to Josie
    • 939393 replied:

yes, Aimee did okay in TLSA, but not enough to propel her to first-line status. How can you compare Aimee with Charmaine? Charmaine was only criticized in her first couple of years in the industry while Aimee has been in the industry for like what? seven years? I believe that 7 years of ‘training’ should enhance her acting skills into higher ground but in Aimee’s case it’s just mediocre

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
      • Raina replied:

Aimee was crowned in 2006. She debuted in 2008… its barely five years…..

Login or Register before you can reply to Raina
      • sandcherry replied:

I think people have to be fair to Aimee Chan. She has improved a lot in her acting in the last two years. She acts better than Bernice Liu (at least to me). All Aimee has to work on is to slow down when she speaks. Her facial expressions and inner emotions are not bad. Aimee’s biggest problem is she speaks too fast in her dialogues and without the proper pauses.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • 939393 replied:

well, 5 years is long considering that it’s half a decade. and hey, mandy debuted almost the same period as aimee but is already leaps and bounds ahead in terms of acting.
        yes she HAS improved, but as i said, not enough to propel her to first line status.

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
      • Raina replied:

I believe Mandy actually went through acting class, so she probably did learn many fundamentals whereas Aimee Chan learns from ugh herself?

Login or Register before you can reply to Raina
      • 939393 replied:

even so, she should have taken the initiative to take up acting classes since she knows that she isn’t good enough.

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
      • sandcherry replied:

How about Christine Kuo? She was also filmed in 8 drama series, plus 4 movies. Do you think her acting and Cantonese are better than Aimee Chan’s?

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • sandcherry replied:

It is not Aimee Chan’s fault. It is due to TVB’s current situation, without any proper fadans, and they have to push everyone up to act 1st lead roles. Of course, some actresses (like Aimee Chan, Eliza Sam, Christine Kuo, etc.) are luckier than others (like Nancy Wu, Elaine Yiu, etc.).

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • 939393 replied:

Never have i said that Christine is better than Aimee. and Christine is considered as a newbie with only 2 years+ of acting experience, and she’s not one of the first line fadans, so it’s a wrong comparison to be made there. As far as i’m concerned, tvb did not pull everyone up to fadan status, just Aimee and Sharon. But it’s apparent that Aimee is more favoured given her numerous nominations in last year’s anniversary awards. I’m not saying it’s entirely Aimee’s fault, just that it’s undeserving of her to have risen up to her current status so soon.

Login or Register before you can reply to 939393
    • Bubblez replied:

“You guys who say she can’t act, are the same ones who now clamour for Charmane Sheh, who also can’t act in her early drams, like ‘Detective investigation files’, of which you conveniently forget.”
      Somebody got their facts wrong. Although I’m not a fan of Aimee, I liked her role in Someday but her acting isn’t at its top yet. And I love Charmaine Sheh’s acting…

“You people only know to criticise, same as you criticise Rebecca Zhu in ‘Silver Spoon, Sterling Shackles’, which I find she did well there for a first timer.”
      Two. I found it to be good for a new actress. :/

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • sandcherry replied:

In old days, Aimee Chan would not have moved up so fast. Unfortunately, TVB has no good and solid fadans now. In order to meet with new competitions (new free TV channels in Hong Kong), they have to promote as many fadans as possible. Aimee Chan is just lucky to be there at the right timing.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  18. Carole says:

TVB trying too hard to promote her. Sorry Aimee you really can’t act.
    Please don’t compare her with Charmaine Sheh.

Login or Register before you can reply to Carole
  19. stmlw20 says:

I prefer her over Rebecca ZHu big time!!! cant stand Rebecca ZHu

Login or Register before you can reply to stmlw20
    • sandcherry replied:

Agree. Rebecca Zhu should not have acted such a heavy role in her debut. Without any acting training or experience, she just could not handle such a complex role, Siu Yau. Rebecca Zhu might not be a bad actress, but she should start something minor first to build up her acting skills and experience.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  20. Djojs says:

Yes, we all know Aimee is not the greatest of actresses but I actually don’t mind her. She has a nice face to look at.

Login or Register before you can reply to Djojs
  21. le says:

There are alot of us who’s not fond of her acting. But, she gets LOTS of publicity or else this article won’t exist.

Login or Register before you can reply to le
  22. Critical acclaim says:

Aimee is not yet of fadan standard, and rightly so. She is, however, good as a supporting actress, and for that, she should be proud of herself and her fans proud of her.

She, being elevated to 1st tier line is not her fault, blame TVB for making all the wrong moves, she has potential and will continue improving, hang on there, keep it up, Aimee, never mind all these armchair critics…

As for comparing with Charmaine, why not? She too can’t act in her early days and it takes her more than 5 years to show some results, she too gets a lot of flak those days, lest you forget.

Login or Register before you can reply to Critical acclaim