JayneStars.com logo

Jacqueline Law’s Body Is Cremated; Ashes Return to Hong Kong

By on July 5, 2012

Jacqueline Law’s Body Is Cremated; Ashes Return to Hong Kong thumbnail

The funeral service for deceased Hong Kong actress, Jacqueline Law (羅慧娟), has concluded in Singapore. Suffering from pancreatic cancer for the last 2 years, 46-year-old Jacqueline Law passed away on June 30, 2012. Many of Jacqueline’s friends, such as Kitty Lai (黎美嫻), Monica Chan (陳法蓉), Dicky Cheung (張衛健 ), and Eugena Lau (劉美娟) especially flew to Singapore to mourn for Jacqueline’s death. Yesterday, Jacqueline’s body was cremated. Her husband, Lau Chi Man (劉志敏) flew back to Hong Kong with Jacqueline’s ashes.

Jacqueline’s funeral service was held at Singapore’s Mount Vernon Sanctuary, in the Grace Service Hall, under Christian tradition. The hall’s high ceilings and majestic setting allowed for a grand memorial service. At the funeral, Jacqueline’s friends sang Amazing Grace to bid their friend goodbye. When an 8-minute clip of Jacqueline’s last words were played, all the guests present burst into tears of grief. The memorial hall was also decorated with numerous photos of Jacqueline smiling. Copies of Jacqueline’s DVD–chronicling her struggles in life, including suffering from pancreatic cancer–were distributed to guests.

Jacqueline Law Remembered by Good Friends

Jacqueline Law was remembered by friends for her cheerful personality. She easily shared her laughter and lived life to the fullest. Monica Chan, Kitty Lai, and Dicky Cheung’s eyes were swollen from crying at the funeral service yesterday.  Monica and Kitty were Jacqueline’s closest friends who shared her last days of life together. After Jacqueline’s body was cremated, Monica and Kitty cried uncontrollably and unable to speak with the media at length. Monica gathered herself together and said, “Thank you everyone for your heartfelt concern.”

On a flower basket from Jacqueline’s elder brother, it was written, “I love you very much. I am very proud to have you as my younger sister. In this present life or future life, we will always be siblings. One day, may we be able to reunite once again….”

Jacqueline’s mother was not present, since it was considered to be taboo for an elderly parent to attend her own daughter’s funeral. Jacqueline’s mother wrote on her flower basket, “Jacqueline, my dearest daughter, you will forever be alive in my heart.”

Dicky Cheung said, “Although Jacqueline’s life was very short, but she shone brightly throughout her life, especially towards her last days. Although Jacqueline has left us, she left behind a positive legacy.” Dicky indicated that he will attend Jacqueline’s memorial service in Hong Kong.

Jacqueline Law’s Ashes Return to Hong Kong

After the 45-minute funeral service in Singapore concluded, Jacqueline’s body was escorted away in a white casket to the cremation site. Jacqueline’s husband, Mr. Lau, emerged holding Jacqueline’s ashes close to him. Crying emotionally earlier, Mr. Lau allowed the press to take photos, while urging them to convert to Christianity. Mr. Lau said, “Hopefully, you will listen to Jacqueline and believe in the Lord, okay? Next week, there will be a memorial service [in Hong Kong].”

Mr. Lau also asked the press to give him privacy and space to mourn after the funeral rites were completed. On July 5th, Mr. Lau flew back to Hong Kong with Jacqueline’s ashes. He indicated that when it was time for his own death, he wished to be buried with Jacqueline in Hong Kong.

Sheren Tang (鄧萃雯), Louie Castro (賈思樂), and Annie Liu (廖安麗) were unable to attend Jacqueline’s funeral service in Singapore. However, it was understood that they will be attending the memorial service to be held in Hong Kong on July 12th.

Stephen Chow Cold-Hearted?

Although Stephen Chow (周星馳) had dated Jacqueline for 3 years after collaborating in TVB drama, The Final Combat <盖世豪侠>, Stephen remained quiet over her death and did not send a funeral flower basket. Although criticized by the press as being cold-hearted, Stephen allegedly did not wish to fuel any negative gossip over Jacqueline’s death. Since Jacqueline is survived by her husband, Stephen did not wish tabloids to focus on his former relationship with Jacqueline.

Source: Oriental Daily, Oriental Daily, Oriental Daily

Jayne: I am quite surprised that Stephen Chow did not comment regarding Jacqueline’s death. I think it is just good manners to at least wish her a peaceful after life when prompted with the question, given that they had loved each other for 3 years in their lives.

Tags: , , ,

• Jacqueline Law Spends Lunar New Year Holiday With Kitty Lai and Monica Chan(17)
  • Friends Throw Baby Shower for Ada Choi(22)
  • Jacqueline Law Remembered at Memorial Service(46)
  • Jacqueline Law Suffering From Pancreatic Cancer?(15)
  • Acting Legend, Alex Man, Recalls Classic Performances(42)
  • Stephen Chow Hopes to Land “Lost in Thailand” Star for New Film “Mermaid”(5)
  • “The Grandmaster” Grabs 14 Hong Kong Film Award Nominations(18)
  • The Trends of Mainland Chinese Cinema(20)
  • Monica Chan Breaks Down Over Con-Artist Ex-boyfriend(49)
  • Yang Mi Takes Up Producing for TV Drama “Micro Times”(4)

• Readers' Comments (42)

1. Larry 3 says:

There is a clip of Apple Daily phone interview with Stephen Chow on Jacqueline’s death….just saying thank you couple of times…..He could have say something else; well its his choice.

2. Tony says:

Stephen only interested with gal + love + sexx.
      Others than that he doesn’t even have time, interest and guts to bother…….yet he’s still considered to be among the hottest blooded people than most of the newer generation of artists.

“I am quite surprised that Stephen Chow did not comment regarding Jacqueline’s death. I think it is just good manners to at least wish her a peaceful after life when prompted with the question, given that they had loved each other for 3 years in their lives.”

Jayne, perhaps he is also in pain and is in shock of this loss as well? Their relationship goes beyond good manners. I thought it is tact that probably prevented him from commenting right now. Maybe he felt her husband wouldn’t like a former boyfriend saying something. In time he will.

• Larry 3 says:

We would know for sure if he goes to the funeral in Hong Kong next week….

• Funn Lim says:

I don’t think he will go. It would detract from the actual purpose; to mourn.

• HeTieShou says:

I also do not think that he will go. I remember that Maggie Cheung man yuk did not go to Leslie’s funeral. I heard it was because she was too devastated to go. Therefore, just because someone does not show up does not neccesarily mean that they do not care for the person who passed away. In many cases, it is because they are too devastated and sad to come.

• HeTieShou says:

I was thinking the same as you Funn. I think since Stephen was a former lover and not just a regular friend, it is actually pretty awkward for him to comment right now because Jacqueline was married and all… I do believe that Stephen does feel sad over the passing of Jacqueline.

I am so glad to know that Dicky is a friend of Jacqueline’s too. They acted together in Book and Sword and paired up in Saga of the Lost Kingdom. They were so cute together… I did not know that they were friends and am happy to know that they are…

• llwy12 says:

They were also in the sitcom “My Son-in-Law” together as well (which, ironically, I happen to be re-watching right now)….I’m actually not too surprised that they were good friends because they did collaborate quite a few times and plus they do have some common beliefs as a result of their religious faiths (Dicky is a Catholic and Jacqueline is a Christian — without going into a detailed explanation, the two faiths definitely aren’t the same, but they do share some basic doctrines)….it’s actually kind of interesting, but alot of the artists from that generation (the 80s/early 90s) have very close relationships / friendships that they’ve maintained over the years — it’s just that those friendships are not always known because most artists don’t talk about those types of things voluntarily or some just prefer to keep certain things low profile…

4. Larry 3 says:

Monica Chan reflecting on her friend’s death: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3LoBvLzEvs

5. noamd 822 says:

I find her husband somewhat strange.
      First, he urges the media to convert to Christianity – wrong time, wrong place.

>>>He indicated that when it was time for his own death, he wished to be buried with Jacqueline in Hong Kong.

Mr Lau supposedly had 2 wives – one who gave him all his existing children, and who also died of cancer.
      Why only Jacqueline?

• Larry 3 says:

ha… I agree; thats not the right time to say those things…

First, he urges the media to convert to Christianity – wrong time, wrong place.

• sandcherry says:

“he urges the media to convert to Christianity” ………..What does that mean? I don’t understand the meaning.

• kenny says:

I do have issues with some of these Christians. You can stick to your belief for all I care, but it is another matter in using every opportunities in converting others. I rather stay in hell with all the sinners (I’m no saint either) than with some of these people.

• HeTieShou says:

I would not say that all Christians are like that
          but a majority of the ones that I have met go on and on about their religion and try to convert anyone at any chance they get. I wonder why they do that???

• Funn Lim says:

I have met many christians are who are open minded and even poked fun at Jesus, and they’re catholics. They do have a sense of humour.

• sandcherry says:

Funn:

I find that Catholics are not as persuasive as Protestants in preaching.

• Funn Lim says:

Protestants more persistent?

• HeTieShou says:

Catholics do not consider themselves Christian.

• rloeun says:

Catholics and Christians are not the same, at least that’s how it was explain to me. But I find that Catholics aren’t so persistent.

• HeTieShou says:

I found that strange too…

I don’t understand your last question though.. What do you mean “why only Jacqueline?” That does not make sense to me. I feel bad for her husband though. He married twice and lost both of them due to cancer.

Those messages from Jacqueline’s brother and mother are the so sweet and great to say to any family member…So touching…

• nomad 822 says:

>>>What do you mean “why only Jacqueline?” That does not make sense to me. I feel bad for her husband though. He married twice and lost both of them due to cancer.

Precisely that.
          Mr Lau had TWO wives. So why say he wants to be buried next to #2. Isn’t it preferable not to utter such (idiotic imo) things .. just out of respect and fairness to his late wife #1?
          Afterall wife #1 was also his wife (I presume for a longer time too) and bore his children?

To me, it says a lot for the dude when he utters:
          (1) everyone should convert
          (2) he wants to be buried next to Jacqueline in HK.

• HeTieShou says:

Oh ok, thanks for clearing that up. Now I also wonder the same thing. Maybe he loved Jacqueline more?? Jacqueline was married to him in 2008 so they were not married that long ago. Maybe he likes her more because she is a lot younger than his first wife and is a celeb?? Now that I think about it, I also feel a bit bad for his first wife..

• Brie says:

@nomad 822

Yeah, I’m side-eyeing the husband too, for the reasons you cited, as well as for allowing this amount of media coverage of his wife’s wake and funeral.

• exoidus says:

A plausible explaination is that his marriage to first wife was a political one. Arranged by his parents i.e not the love of his life, unlike Jacqueline.

• nomad 822 says:

Fair enough (about the match-made first union).

But since that marriage did not end in divorce, and wife #1 (presumably) is the mother of his children = keep those wishes private.

To me, that’s just plain respectful to his late wife (and her family) too.

Whatever Mr Lau wants to do in future … NO need to make such a very public and ‘dramatic’ declaration of undying love. (my take).

I agree about the too much media coverage too. Her entire journey and illness has been low key and private so far – why the high-profile exposure now?

As for Stephen Chow:
          You don’t need to line up anyone’s ex’es. Esp for a wake, and when they’re celebs – the media circus, and the resulting chaos.

Who really knows what goodbyes have already gone on quietly in private = more meaningful and sincere anyways, than these high-profile 5 min appearances.

I always find media coverage at funerals sensationalist – like a red carpet event of which star came, attended, cried etc.

Pretty morbid, tasteless and pointless. Worse, when reporters interview red-eyed attendees on their thoughts of the dead person, or her illness-journey.

People should be allowed to mourn and grieve IN PEACE.

Unless, instead of mourning .. the deceased had chosen a ‘Celebration of Life’.

• Jayne says:

Nomad,
          “People should be allowed to mourn and grieve IN PEACE.

Unless, instead of mourning .. the deceased had chosen a ‘Celebration of Life’.”

People mourn differently. Jacqueline had a lot of friends and since she was a popular actress, Mr. Lau allowed media access to her mourning services and taking of photographs. Many celebrities’ funerals are well covered by the media. Reporters are simply doing their jobs by taking photos and writing their news reports. Perhaps Mr. Lau felt that if there is the public interest in Jacqueline’s death (because she was a beloved artist), why fight the popular wishes? Perhaps he found comfort in the fact that Jacqueline was well loved by many people and thus allowed it.

Mr. Lau simply cooperated with the media’s requests, allowing them to take photographs of himself holding Jacqueline’s urn etc. I see nothing wrong with it…not everyone mourns in quiet grief or anger. That does not equate to him being eager for publicity.

Thus far, the media has only been respectful in the coverage of Jacqueline’s death. Aside from Stephen Chow, no other artist has been black listed or anyone crying crocodile tears.

I sense that Jacqueline was truly loved by her friends, who try their best to bid farewell to her one last time.

• llwy12 says:

Just FYI…for those who question Lau Chi Man’s ‘intentions’ or why he decided to part from his usual low-profile routine, I recommend reading the cover story of today’s issue of Mingpao magazine (all 12 pages of it)….I think it will help people better understand what Jacqueline and her family have been going through for the past 2 years…

6. J says:

It’s possible that Stephen didn’t want the media to cause any more mayhem/troubles for her family at this time. The media can take anything an artist says and manipulate it to sound juicy. After all, this time is for Jacqueline’s family to mourn, and they shouldn’t have to answer to the media’s questions regarding senseless gossip.

I don’t think the media nor fans should think too much into it. Everyone handles these types of situations differently.

• HeTieShou says:

I agree and I don’t think that Stephen has any bad intentions at all, especially since he did once love Jacqueline and wants her to rest in peace. He also wants her family to be at peace while they mourn her loss as well.

Rest in peace Jacqueline… You will be forever loved, missed and remembered by everyone…

• llwy12 says:

Yup…. I’m not particularly fond of Stephen Chow either, but honestly, I don’t feel it’s fair to criticize him for not ‘publicly’ expressing his feelings about Jacqueline’s death. First of all, it’s really not in-line with his personality to be all high-profile and such anyway, so that’s why to me, it’s not surprising that he wouldn’t make a public display of things…most importantly though, how do we know that he didn’t offer his condolences to Jacqueline’s family or directly to her husband? He actually might have done so, but just chose to keep quiet about it knowing how crazy the HK Media is….I don’t think we’ll ever know. Btw, I had read that back when Jacqueline had gotten into that diving accident that caused her to lose her hearing, Stephen Chow did send her a note asking how she was doing and wishing her a speedy recovery — granted, she wasn’t married at that time, but still…if they had truly been on bad terms, I highly doubt he would have done even that….

• HeTieShou says:

Thanks for the info! I also do not think it is fair to criticize Stephen like that. I have a feeling that he most likely has offered his condolence to her family and all but does not need to announce it to the world. Just because a couple breaks up does not mean that have to be on bad terms or hate each other.

7. Hannahh says:

RIP Jacqueline.

Stephen is a jerk as much as i like watching his movie.

8. sandcherry says:

Rest in peace, Jacqueline.

I am sure you will have a happy life in Heaven!

9. Lucia says:

RIP Jacqueline. You are now with God.

10. clamine says:

RIP Jacqueline. And my most sincere condolences to the grieving family! May they find peace and comfort in their faith.
      From my own experience, the Christians I know are never pushy with their religion towards other people.

Change some relevant facts in the article below written by Steven Ma in his 2008 book, it could just as easily apply to Jacqueline’s grieving family. I know when my friend’s father passed away, her Christian faith provided great solace to her and definitely helped her get through that difficulty grieving period.

Dedicated to Man Lok
      送給文諾

Liu Kai Chi and Chan Man Yee’s youngest son, Man Lok, has departed for his heavenly home. I don’t know Uncle Chi or Man Yee at all, nevertheless, I paid great attention to Man Lok’s illness. I may not have a parent’s feelings, but I have experienced taking care of a terminally ill family member. Concerning my experience, not going into it; but I do want to comment on this particular family.

As parents, how could they not be sad at their son’s passing away! That kind of pain is beyond the expression of written or verbal words. Soon after Man Lok’s passing, I happened upon Uncle Chi’s interview airing on a certain television station. My tears fell.

Throughout the whole interview, Uncle Chi was very calm and composed. He said his whole family is Christian, and that their viewpoint on death maybe be different from other people’s. He said although Man Lok has departed but to him, he just left earlier for his heavenly home and to the Lord’s embrace. One day, the whole family will unite again!

I am not a Christian*, but after hearing Uncle Chi’s words, sadness notwithstanding, there was also comfort. Life on earth, the meaning and the worth of living are not measured by the length of time. Lived a long life but never experienced the warmth of the mortal world, what’s the point? Lived a short life but enjoyed all the love and warmth of the mortal world, what’s there to regret? Today, Man Lok is in the Lord’s embrace. Although lived for just a short 6 years, but I believe Man Lok had experienced to the fullest both his parents’ and older brothers’ love and tender care for him. Today, he is experiencing another kind of love in another dimension. He is already silently reciprocating his family’s longing and love for him!

Wish: Uncle Chi and Man Yee, Man Zit and Man Sun will continue their optimistic outlook towards all future challenges, and to propagate the most glorious side of humans to the world, and to forever keep the most precious emotion in life deep within their hearts.

source: 圖文並謬 58-59 2008
      Translator: Tamaya

TN: Liu Kai Chi is a veteran film and television actor, who’s married to former TVB actress Chan Man Yee. Their youngest son, Liu Man Lok, died of pneumonia on April 5, 2006, after a nearly three-year battle with leukemia.

*Steven has since embraced Christianity, as revealed in his weibo Oct 1st 2010.

11. Masaharu says:

My condolences to her family and friends.

• Funn Lim says:

Maybe he is mourning in private? I do know some don’t even say anything when their grandmas died.

12. ruby says:

i don’t think so..
      i think Stephen really shock
      but Jacqueline was married..
      he respects her family

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: