JayneStars.com logo

Jessica Hsuan and Benny Chan Portray Lovers in “Love Amongst War”

By on April 18, 2012

Jessica Hsuan and Benny Chan Portray Lovers in “Love Amongst War” thumbnail

Former Hong Kong TVB artists, Jessica Hsuan (宣萱) and Benny Chan (陈浩民), will appear as onscreen lovers for the first time in mainland drama, Love Amongst War <薛平贵与王宝钏>. The pair will portray lovers who are challenged by societal barriers and extreme poverty. Early buzz has compared the drama to hit series, Naked Wedding <裸婚时代>!

Jessica portrayed Wang Baochuan, the third daughter of a wealthy, aristocratic family in the Tang Dynasty. Despite to her elite background and beautiful exterior, she fell in love with commoner, Xue Pinggui, portrayed by Benny Chan. Due to an unfortunate twist in fate, Benny’s character even became a beggar!

Jessica’s family opposed her marriage to Benny due to his extreme poverty. Will Jessica and Benny’s relationship survive based on pure idealism alone, or will they be separated by the reality of materialistic practicality?

Due to its theme, Love Amongst War has generated comparisons to popular mainland drama, Naked Wedding, wich explored how couples’ marriages were contrained by trying financial situations. Love Amongst War incorporated numerous modern elements, to lighten the themes explored in the drama.

Benny stated, “This is the first time I have worked with Jessica Hsuan. I hope to bring a refreshing feeling to the collaboration!”

Love Amongst War is a 48-episode historical fiction mainland drama, which will be broadcast in  Hebei, Guangdong, Shandong, Hunan, and Jiangsu next week. The drama also stars Xin Zi ( 馨子), Tu Liman (涂黎曼), Chen Weimin (陈为民), and Zhang Liang (张亮).

Watch Clip of “Love Amongst War”!

Sources: Sina.com.cn, Sina.com.cn

Jayne: Jessica and Benny as lovers? It’s a bit unbelievable!

Benny had released a new Mandarin music album in China recently. Apparently, he is still quite popular in China, where last year’s scandal with Rose Chan may have caused harm to his image in Hong Kong than in China….

Tags: , , ,

• Review: Curse of the Royal Harem (TVB 2011)(78)
  • Jessica Hsuan's Boyfriend Already Met Her Parents(93)
  • Jessica Hsuan Announces Dating Italian Boyfriend(117)
  • Benny Chan And Wife Expecting Third Child(30)
  • Caught Feeding Woman, Benny Chan's Fidelity Towards Wife is Questioned(28)
  • Thai Actress Poyd Receives 7-Figure Sum for Hong Kong Thriller(51)
  • Jessica Hsuan Does Not Want to Be a Stay-at-Home Mom(11)
  • Jessica Hsuan Exercises 7 Days a Week to Lose 11 Pounds(29)
  • Mainland China Media Criticize Hong Kong Actors as Caring Only About Money(154)
  • Jessica Hsuan Takes Time to Enjoy Life(30)

• Readers' Comments (47)

1. apple says:

yeah..what a mismatch couple!!!

and Jessica will always look too odd to me in period series…

• Jenny says:

Jessica is too old for this type of role. especially in the ancient days where marriage age for women is 16 – 18. If you didnt get marriage by then you consider as old maid. Jessica is way too old to play 18. She should pay more mature roles.

• Kidd says:

That’s what my first thought too. Girls married young in those days. It very unlikely for a wealthy girl like Jessica’s character to remain unmarried until late twenties unless she has some defect or maybe bad reputation. So, the character must be still a young girl and Jessica does not look like a young girl.

2. Sky says:

48 episode? I’ll pass…. Too freaking long!

• HeTieShou says:

48 eps is not too long at all. There are way longer series than 48 eps. As long as the series is good, then the number of eps should not matter.However, I can understand when a series has a lot of eps that it can be stereotyped as being long and draggy.But I still think that you need to give a series a chance first.

• Fox says:

I felt curious, didn’t China government license under 30 episode China series (except adaptions of 4 great novels) only?

• Alec Nguyen says:

I also wonder the same thing, I read some source they said this series is 36 episodes only.

3. Strawberry says:

Well, I do like Jessica and she still looks great for her age, so give her a break.
      Benny is ok at acting, so will see how the series turn out to be.

However the storyline is old… rich falls in love with poor…. sure I have seen it 1000+ times

I do like the fact that I recognised more and more actress/actors in mainland Series…

Is there any good website that has English sub, except from Viki???

Cheers

4. daisy says:

The storyline seems too bland, hopefully they will make the drama better than it seems

5. Hannahh says:

i like the casts but it’s contain 48eps which is too long.

6. Veejay says:

very funny when in hk, these veteran artists are no longer considered as valueable as last time while in China, things are different, they still can become the main leads despite their old age which can already hold a role of a mom & dad..

• exoidus says:

Haha so true didn’t knew China was that good at recycling, LOL.

Got better things to do than watching Benny the beast playing a gentleman in disguise…

7. Alec Nguyen says:

Jessica looks very pretty and I love her natural acting skills.

• Veejay says:

Jessica sure looks pretty there with nice skin but that looks just made her looks er…. odd. She really doesn’t suit ancient series, looks very weird there.

Dont get me wrong, I actually like watching Jessica’s series but ancient just doesn’t suit her..

8. yui koike says:

not trying to be a sour grape but BENNY CHAN? This idiot shedding croc tears during the rose chan incident! he is a lousy actor either

9. Hannah says:

Jessica’s look is very modern. I find ancient not her forte.

In spite of the scandal, Benny is not a bad actor. I do find the two an odd pairing, but let’s see…

10. NX says:

Actually Jessica look quite young in the clip, but definitely not 18. Benny seems doing fine after the scandal!

11. pingta says:

No matter how much Jessica injects botok into her face, it does little help. When a 8-year old kid looks into (especially) her eyes, logic dictates that he can straight away tells that she’s an OLD auntie! Really……

As for the case of Benny Chan, well his face has gone quite flabby since the Rose Chan’s scandal……Her flirting nature and playboy style really impress me. Keep up this image….

• Krystal says:

Jess is a actress what bothers you? If you are not happy just dun watch her drama nobody force you to watch them. Benny is a actor so what playboy they have their own private lifestyle which does concerns you. Who are you to comment like this who wouldn’t grow old? Excuse me can u stay 18 years old forever?? As long as they can act out their roles and play their part well is the main actor and actress spirit, you don’t have to comment like that. Please think before you comment. Thank you

12. Khanh says:

I still reckon that rose was using Benny to get more famous

13. sandcherry says:

Jessica Hsuan looks very young in the above photo. She looks in her late 20 or early 30. Will have to watch the drama series first before we can tell if she really looks that young. I think she is 40 or 41 this year.

14. Alec Nguyen says:

yap, we should wait and rate her performance after watching her role. As Jessica said she always cried in this series. Looking forward to her crying skills,

15. anoninhk says:

wow, if both actors were mainlanders, they would have started receiving parent roles years ago. i’m sorry, but even though they both look young for their age, they just aren’t convincing to play a tragic young couple.

Jessica as some ancient beauty is already unbelievable. Sorry I will pass.

17. Sin says:

what’s up with all the hate, who care if they are getting old, They can still act better than most of the tvb actor and actress now a day…dont judge the book by it cover, the series haven’t even come out yet, I bet it will be excellent with high rating

• Funn Lim says:

I highly doubt it. 1. Benny’s reputation is in tatters and he was never known to be thespian of great acting anyway. 2. Jess maybe when he voice is dubbed is ok but the criticisms are valid. This is not the right choice for her, age, looks, everything. I don’t think they can pull high ratings. It won’t be terrible though. And no, I can name others who can actor better than either or both of them. Reality is, they’re old, and some roles aren’t meant to be.

• Sin says:

I guess you haven’t see some of benny latest series in mainland china, his acting is excellent, it doesn’t matter about the age in mainland…most director is looking for high quality acting, experience, and expression

• Alec Nguyen says:

for sure I will not pass this series. Must watch and say sorry after, it’s never too late

• Funn Lim says:

I am not aware Benny hired you as his publicist…

18. Grace says:

I’ll watch anything with Jessica in it!
      Both are pretty good in comic roles, hope it’s a comedy.

19. Alec Nguyen says:

The captures are so good :D waiting for this series

20. Lan says:

Storyline has been used to many time. When I was younger I used to like Jessica. But now that I’m older and rewatching her old and new series, I realize that I just liked her strong indep modern woman character. When I watch her I just feel like I’m watching her “act” like herself. I don’t think she could cry or play evil character or girly characters. IMO She’s a pretty one note actress.

• sandcherry says:

Agree that Jessica is good for characters with strong personalities. She acts better in modern drama series. You will surely agree with me if you have watched her recent TVB ancient drama series, “Curse of the Royal Harem”. She did not do well in it.

• Alec Nguyen says:

at least, in Curese, she is better than Myoile.

• CC says:

Jessica acts well in ATV series Chinese Ghost Story, strong independent characters does suit her better.

Curse of Royal Harem isn’t her type of series.

• HeTieShou says:

I think Jessica did ok in Curse of the Harem. She did a lot better than Myolie. Myolie doesn’t fit those kinds of characters so I am STILL shocked that she won an award for that role.

• sandcherry says:

Agree that Jessica acted better than Myolie in “Curse of the Royal Harem”. But Jessica is still a better actress for modern series, preferably with a strong and firm character.

21. HeTieShou says:

I guess as long as Benny did not rape, murder or do something else really really bad, all will be forgiven and forgotten with time… Also, I must say that Rose doesn’t seem as innocent as she tries to be. I am not defending Benny, but just want to be fair.

22. Alec Nguyen says:

http://www.tudou.com/programs/view/HywNPfUU38M/ it’s so good. look forward to this series. anyway, it’s always No.1 rating in China

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: