JayneStars.com logo

Joe Ma to Return to TVB in June

By on February 11, 2013

Joe Ma to Return to TVB in June thumbnail

After last year’s successful Tiger Cubs <飛虎>, Joe Ma (馬德鐘) will once again return to TVB to film in June. Although no longer a managed artist under the station, Joe retained good relations and is willing to help out TVB in a year when uncertainties lie ahead for the Hong Kong television broadcasting industry.

Joe’s Popularity is Plummeting?

The New Year started on a rocky note for Joe Ma. Filming earlier in mainland China, Joe was plagued by negative press claiming that his popularity had plummeted dramatically. Oriental Sunday had reported that Joe performed in a Guangzhou show by discounting his fee by 20,000 RMB, but the viewers fell asleep and was not entertained by him. After Joe was largely ignored by Ricky Wong’s (王維基) HKTV, Joe allegedly will sign a per series contract with TVB in September.

In response to Oriental Sunday’s caustic report, Joe’s management company issued a statement and said that the details found in the report were false, including the performance discount fee to the bored audience’s reaction. Joe’s company retained all rights to pursue legal action.

Back in Hong Kong

In fact, Joe remains in high demand and has been busy filming a mainland China drama until a few days ago, when a local snowstorm halted filming and resulted in a short break for Joe. This allowed Joe to return to Hong Kong to spend time with his family.

The day after Lunar New Year, Joe and his wife, Karen Cheung (張筱蘭), had a meal outside to celebrate the festivities.  Married for 20 years, Karen had formerly taught at Hong Kong University, but resigned from her post last year to focus on taking care of her family. Although Karen holds a Ph.D. degree and is well versed in several languages, Karen explained her choice to put her career on hold,  “My grandma said that a woman should follow the wishes of her husband. So I will also hand over the decision-making to my husband.”

Karen will sometimes visit him in mainland China and accompany him at media events. Next month, the couple looks forward to flying to Kuala Lumpur for their son’s swimming competition while taking in the local Malaysian sights. With Joe back in Hong Kong in June to film for TVB, the family will also have more quality time together.

Sources: Gog.com; Sina.com

Tags:

• Joe Ma to Collaborate in New Drama With Kate Tsui(28)
  • Him Law Teased About Tavia Yeung at “Tiger Cubs 2” Promo(8)
  • Joe Ma's Sex Advice to Son: "It's All About Safety"(23)
  • Sammy Sum Stars as Sharon's Chan's Lover in "The Apostle"(13)
  • Joe Ma Offered Sammy Leung's Role in “The Apostle”(67)
  • What to Watch in 2014 Hong Kong Dramas(64)
  • Joe Ma Wants to Be a Marine Engineer(1)
  • Rose Chan and Joe Ma Avoid Each Other to Prevent Awkwardness(15)
  • Charmaine Sheh Becomes Giant BB on "Super Trio Maximus"(11)
  • Joe Ma Suffers From Torn Ligaments On Set of "Tiger Cubs 2"(10)

• Readers' Comments (23)

1. Eunice says:

Joe Ma is not that bad…
      He’s tall and quite charming in particular roles he played. I liked him in TITS, in Relic of an Emissary, and also in Tiger Cubs.

• sandcherry says:

Joe Ma has improved quite a bit in his acting in the last few years. Unfortunately, he was not nominated much for the Best Actor Award.

2. Lee says:

He has aged like fine wine, just like Michael Miu.

3. Nikki says:

I sure hope he returns and that his popularity doesn’t “plummet”! I’ve been watching Joe Ma since I was around 6 or 7 years old (I’m now 17) and I’ve always liked him! He’s one of my favorite Chinese actors. I hope only good things lie ahead for him and that we’ll get to see him in future TVB dramas soon.

4. asdfjkl; says:

Really excited to see him in Tiger Cubs II!

5. Bubblez says:

I really like his acting.. although half of the time I hate the characters he’s portraying, especially in The drive of life which is a good thing!

I liked his role in that series with Charmaine Sheh:)

I cannot wait to see his new drama :)

Never knew he was gone in the first place. I find him boring but serviceable as an actor.

7. Ric says:

I always liked Joe. He’s very convincing in authoritative or power hungry roles.

8. melted says:

I’ve always been a fan of Joe ever since the Vigilante force days. It’s been a good 10 years come to think of it. He improved heaps over the years and I still find him very charismatic on screen!

9. Mlove says:

Yeah… Thats great news. Can’t wait to see him…

10. Jayne says:

I like Joe Ma in supporting roles rather than leading roles. He’s nice eye candy and succeeds in cop roles, but still somewhat limited in range as to the roles he can portray convincingly.

However, compared to some newbie inexperienced actors, then I do prefer watching Joe Ma

11. Tracy says:

Joe still look so handsome.. <3

12. HeTieShou says:

Great to know that Joe is coming back. I wonder who will replace Jessica’s role since she is not coming back???

13. ebbie says:

He’s not that good playing good guys.
      Any goodie goodie character will put me to sleep!
      But he’s great playing meanies & macho guys. His height gives him an advantage in certain roles as well.

14. Lucia says:

Welcome back Joe! I cannot wait to watch your next drama serie!

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: