JayneStars.com logo

Kevin Cheng to Open His Own Production Company!

By on August 4, 2012

Kevin Cheng to Open His Own Production Company! thumbnail

After waiting for 19 years, Kevin Cheng’s (郑嘉颖) acting career and popularity received a powerful boost last year. Appearing in Ghetto Justice <怒火街頭> and Bu Bu Jing Xin <步步惊心> last year, his market value increased tremendously. Kevin will reportedly earn $7 RMB in new mainland Chinese TV drama, Ip Man <叶问>. Aside from his successful acting career, Kevin will release a music album and hold a concert next year under his new contract with EEG. Aspiring to achieve even greater accomplishments, Kevin announced plans to establish his own production company to produce his own TV dramas!

Production Company to Open Next Year

In recent years, numerous artists such as Fan Bingbing (范冰冰), Ruby Lin (林心如), Hawick Lau (劉愷威), and Cecilia Cheung (張栢芝) have established their own production companies to maintain greater control over their own artistic works. Kevin Cheng is the latest artist to capitalize on his popularity and reinvest his newfound wealth, converting his name into a powerful brand that will now involve business interests.

Consistently in high demand in mainland China, Kevin now seeks to challenge himself as a producer. In an interview with Ming Pao Weekly, Kevin stated, “Yes, it is true. I hope I can establish my production studio next year.” He indicated that he will start looking for investment partner. Since it is his first attempt as a producer, he is looking for an experienced partner. While filming mainland dramas, Kevin paid close attention to directing, set design and lighting, as well as budgeting project management issues. He hopes to leverage his past experiences for his new production studio.

Pre-production planning for his company’s first drama is currently in progress. Kevin indicated that the script was the soul of the production and it was critical to have a good script. Working in the industry for nearly two decades, Kevin is well aware of the talented individuals in the industry and will seek out the respective scriptwriters, production crew members, and actors.

If the role suited him, Kevin will take on the role of actor and producer simultaneously. Kevin stated that he wished to film a historical war drama, but it would require an expensive budget. Thus, he will need to plan the project carefully. Kevin spoke excitedly about his new role as a producer, “I really want to seek a new challenges in my work!”

Kevin is Not Afraid of Viewers’ Comparisons

Earlier, the announcement of Kevin landing the role of legendary Wing Chun martial artist, Ip Man, came as a surprise to many audiences. Kevin is excited about his new role, and shared that the drama will be completely different from the movie, popularized by Donnie Yen (甄子丹). The TV drama will show progression of the life of Ip Man and how he became a respected Wing Chun martial artist among the masses. Kevin will also play a more vulnerable and emotional Ip Man.

Although Kevin is not trained in martial arts, he will put in his best efforts to learn Wing Chun in order to deliver greater physical intensity onscreen. Kevin is not worried about comparisons to Donnie Yen as the iconic Ip Man. Kevin said that having feedback is good, “It does not matter if the results are good or bad, I will attempt to try and deliver the best to the audience.”

Looking for a Life Partner

Recently, many TVB actors were plagued with scandals with mainland Chinese actresses. Kevin expressed that he was not worried at all. As a millionaire bachelor, it was not surprising that many women will flock to Kevin, giving rise to frequent rumors with his female costars. During his filming in China, there were indeed beautiful women who threw themselves at Kevin. He said candidly, “If there are no such women, I am lying to you!”

Kevin disclosed the type of qualities he looked for in a significant other. He said, “I am not particularly interested in women with curvaceous figures. even if she is not pretty, it does not matter. No matter how beautiful she is now, she will not be beautiful 10 years later.” Kevin pointed out that communication is most important in a relationship. He hoped to find an intellectual woman, in which they can mutually support and take care of each other.

Kevin further expressed that casual dating was not for him. He was looking for a marriage partner, “I want a life-time partner, someone that I can spend the rest of my life with!”

Source: Ming Pao Weekly # 2282 via ihktv.com

This article is written by Stella for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , ,

• Kevin Cheng Prefers Mature Women Instead of Young Girls(22)
  • Kevin Cheng Worn Out By "Ip Man" Martial Arts Scenes(58)
  • Kevin Cheng Likes “Dangerous” Challenges(36)
  • “Bu Bu Jing Qing” Broadcast Date Has Not Been Determined Yet(26)
  • "Bu Bu Jing Qing" Trailer and Music Videos Build Buzz(56)
  • Kevin Cheng’s 20-Year Journey(14)
  • Nicky Wu's Popularity Topples Kevin Cheng in TV Awards Race(22)
  • Myolie Wu, Kevin Cheng, and Michael Tse Nominated in Seoul International Drama Awards(44)
  • Kevin Cheng Hints that Annie Liu Is Not His Cup of Tea(42)
  • Kevin Cheng And Annie Liu Dating For 3 Months?(71)

• Readers' Comments (39)

1. Jayne says:

This is very good news for Kevin! Congrats! Becoming a TV producer is a natural progression for artists who have high wealth. Their name has now become a brand.

I wonder who Kevin will employ in his new production company? Will Virginia Lok work for him? I commented on such a partnership when rumors of Ms. Lok’s departure from TVB surfaced. It is possible.

I suspect Kevin might cast Ben Wong in his productions, since they are very good friends.

Last year has been a big turning point for Kevin. Two hit dramas have truly turned around his life and career. 2013 sounds like another major turning point for him.

• TVBFanatic says:

Yes, i always like to read stories about artists who are thinking about what to do after TV and start businesses to broaden their earning power. All the best to Kevin in his endeavors.

2. j says:

“No matter how beautiful she is now, she will not be beautiful 10 years”.. haha, not exactly what a woman wants to hear, but realistic nonetheless. He is truly a diamond bachelor!

• Funn Lim says:

Don’t tell his future wife! She might get upset!

Anyway this is a trend these days isn’t it? At least he can explore his own options and find roles he wants. But whether 620 will follow him is to me .. I don’t think so. It is like she is starting all over again and she has to do more work when she is more comfortable at a more established place. But maybe she won’t say no when Kevin comes knocking asking to hire some actors under her charge.

It is good news, and quite an expensive one too!

How come many chinese artistes want to be producers? What about directors? Anyone?

• Funn Lim says:

“. Kevin indicated that the script was the soul of the production and it was critical to have a good script.”

He got that right!!

• TVBFanatic says:

Funny thing is… once he finds and truly falls in love, she will always be beautiful in his eyes not matter the age because he’ll always see her as the girl he fell in love with.

3. elin says:

good to hear.. tht he has realistic plans regarding woman n future.. all the best to hm.

4. Ita says:

Watch his latest interview, he talks alot about himself , childhood, his work, his view of marriage etc. No wonder he is diamond bachelor.

5. variel says:

I hope he finds his other half soon. :)

6. Jun says:

Hu Ge want to be a director

“During his filming in China, there were indeed beautiful women who threw themselves at Kevin. He said candidly, “If there are no such women, I am lying to you!”

However, Kevin has been able to steer clear of scandalous news. He said, “At my age, what I am looking for is a wife. If I am not interested in them, I will not give them the wrong signal. I will not waste my time nor their time.””

I always liked his honesty or rather his no frills approach in answering questions. Ask him A and he will answer A. That is why I never quite believed those previous negative press about his personality or his coldness. He is aloof but not necessarily cold. After all he is not a young man, he has a mind of a mature man befitting his age. So it is a joy reading his Q&A. I know very little of him, about his younger days and childhood but I find him interesting as a personality. Is there a write up about him? Focusing on his childhood, teenage hood, etc?

• Funn Lim says:

Lo and behold, went to wikipedia

and found out something I never knew! Chinese American? Is he still holding american passport?

• Meiyi says:

I agree with you Funn,on:I always liked his honesty or rather his no frills approach in answering questions. Ask him A and he will answer A. That is why I never quite believed those previous negative press about his personality or his coldness. He is aloof but not necessarily cold. After all he is not a young man, he has a mind of a mature man befitting his age. So it is a joy reading his Q&A
        May all his wishes comes true!

• Meiyi says:

I agree with you Funn. He is indeed a rare gem. May all his wishes comes true!

8. Lucia says:

Congrats Kevin!

When will Kevin’s contract end with TVB? Thanks.

I hope Kevin will find his life partner soon.

9. Linda says:

I like what Kevin stated that he is straight fwd in looking for life partner :). It is different from fun dating. It is joyful and share of life. He looks for a friend female to share life and understanable. I agree look is just not so important but compatible. This is what both man and woman look for in partner as well.

10. funnlee says:

An actor is still an actor at the end of the days. How much do you find what he said was true?

KC is definitely not as naive&stupid like Lam Fung, Ron & companies. Even if he is crazy of busty chinese celebrities, he’d let his hard earned reputation to be tarnished by an unnecessary relationships or connections with those females. He says he does not like busty gals (presumably those with plastic surgery on their boobs) but not all busty gals are fake. In fact, some of them are very kind hearted and very genuinely warm,feminine and intellectual in nature. I maybe one of them.

11. RLF Lover says:

I am proud and excited for Kevin! He has definitely worked hard to be where he is today and I can only hope that it’s all good from here. I hope he’ll have a concert in Malaysia!

12. polypeptide says:

He hoped to find an intellectual woman, in which they can mutually support and take care of each other” sounds like Charmaine would be a good match :)

• SY says:

Charmaine comes across as a very calculative woman! Don’t think she is right for KC. Anyway, just my personal view

• HeTieShou says:

I agree that Kevin and Charmaine are not a good match. She does seem calculative as SY mentioned and if she is, she is definately is not fit for Kevin. However, it is up to him and as long as he is happy, that is all that should matter.

13. exoidus says:

Can’t help to feel that he is a total miscast for Ip Man. Can imagine him using the “force” to choke his opponents instead of his fists, haha.

Yeah Kevin is too smart to fall into the traps of plastic dolls and he will make sure to clean his mouth after his meal, LOL.

Agree with him that connection on the same wavelength is more important than looks. Guess it’s on a relative sense since a beautiful woman will still be beautiful ten years down the road. Not to mention inner beauty.

*thumps up* for intellectual women :D

• Funn Lim says:

But will intellectual women want him?

And what is intellectual women? Like Joe Ma’s wife perhaps?

• vivien says:

Joe Ma’s wife very lenient and forgiveful. Husband ‘eating out’ many times but she still support him. LOL

• Jayne says:

Funn,
          I have this feeling that Kevin may be seeing someone already. “Intelligence” is relative, but he is likely looking for someone sensible and maybe even to help him out with managing his production studio.

Very interested to see who he will ask to work with him. Since he spent many years at TVB, we may see some familiar names work with him.

He likely could not refuse the Ip Man role because it offered so much money.

• exoidus says:

Hmmm good question his definition of intellectual women might differ from others.

Guess someone who is plastic free, not directly stupid and can help him out with his business.

Joe Ma’s wife is one in a million when it comes to letting hubby eating outside and having one eye closed, LOL. Don’t know if she is intellectual or not.

14. P. Tan says:

This decision of Kevin to own a production company must be new to most of us. He must have given great thought and time to want to meet this new challenge (turning to business now).He has always seem to me a very sensible and practical person and not given to frivolous and extravagant living. Neither is he a woman seeker. He’s a loner, to be sure, but yet has many good friends, men and women. I also find him very focused in all he does, be it singing, acting or just inter-acting with his friends. So, I do wish him success in his new venture and like some of you, I hope he finds a wife soon.

15. dimple says:

intellectual woman might not wanna date him. he’s too good looking!!!

• infact says:

not because he is good looking ,

the reasonm, he definitely is not a cup of tea of intellectual woman.

16. infact says:

hope he can make it,

frankly, he is not a smart and capable person.

17. P. Tan says:

I gree with Jane that Kevin may probably have someone already in mind and communication and it’s just a question of when to reveal their relationship. Also, by mentioning that he would preferably choose an “intellectual” woman to a beauty without, so to say, intellect, it means that he wants a person who has understanding and knowledge, one who can discuss most matters with him, not one who is superficial and cared only for her looks and perhaps having a good time and nothing else. That would be most boring in the long run and will not last. He himself had said that there had been “beauties” who had thrown themselves at him ( he puts it in a negative manner), but these are the very women he’s not particularly interested in.

18. eason who says:

whoever wrote this article needs to retake ESL again, it is awfully written just like most of the articles on this site. Simply pathetic.

19. ic says:

I agree with u! Curvy figure and pretty won’t buy you true love! Must find someone that truly cares about you inside there heart and not by their body!:) good luck!

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription