JayneStars.com logo

Patrick Ma: “I Will Reward Gigi Lai for Giving Birth!”

By on October 10, 2012

Patrick Ma: “I Will Reward Gigi Lai for Giving Birth!” thumbnail

The birth of Gigi Lai’s (黎姿) third daughter, Pegella, was received with great excitement. Gigi Lai’s husband, Patrick Ma (馬廷強), was extremely delighted and has been visiting mother and the baby everyday at the hospital.

Asked if he will be rewarding Gigi for giving him another little princess, Patrick responded, “Of course, she will be rewarded! I’m very happy! Mother and baby are doing well!” Asked if the couple wished to have another child to pursue a boy, Patrick said, “We’ll let things happen naturally; we have not decided yet.”

The couple named the baby girl, Pegella. Patrick explained why the name was chosen, “This name has an auspicious meaning. We thought of the name together, but have not decided on the Chinese name yet.” The Ma family will not be distributing photos of Pegella to the press, similar to how they managed the low-profile birth of Gigi’s twin daughters two years ago.

Patrick revealed that Pegella’s twin sisters were very happy when visiting the hospital, but were slightly jealous of the little baby. Pegella’s features resemble her parents, as well as her twin sisters.

Gigi is recovering well postpartum despite giving birth via Cesarean section and will be able to leave Cannossa Hospital within a few days. Gigi thanked her friends’ congratulations, such as Lawrence Ng (吳啟華) who had sent congratulations via Weibo.

Patrick Ma Greets the Press Happily

Source: Ming Pao

Tags: , ,

• Gigi Lai and Husband Wait for Hours at Hello Kitty Restaurant(33)
  • Out of Love for Brother, Gigi Lai Persists in Managing Stressful Beauty Business(22)
  • Gigi Lai Enjoys Family Trip to Universal Studios Singapore(31)
  • Gigi Lai Prepares for Third Pregnancy with Pilates Class(18)
  • Is Gigi Lai Chasing for a Son?(27)
  • Gigi Lai Hosts New Year’s Eve Party(61)
  • Gigi Lai Gave Birth to 8 Pound Baby Girl, Pegella(57)
  • Pregnant Gigi Lai Holds Twin Daughters' Birthday Party Amidst Typhoon(17)
  • Gigi Lai 5 Months Pregnant With Twin Boys!(33)
  • Gigi Lai and Michelle Reis Both Pregnant With Their Second Child(68)

• Readers' Comments (58)

1. Hannahh says:

Good to see the love from Patrick to GiGi!

2. shoshotah says:

looks like my boyfriend’s sister in this picture. obvioulsy gigi looks a million times better. she wish she can be as pretty as she is.

3. Hannah says:

You can see happiness all over Patrick. Congrats to the couple!

4. EL says:

At first i thought Gigi deserves a better guy, but now im just so happy for her that she has a loving husband and a great family. Congrats!

5. EL says:

Btw, does anyone know what happened to Patrick’s legs?

6. Khanh says:

I still think that he would be more excited if she had a boy

• Kidd says:

Of course he will be more exciting if she had a boy. He already has 2 daughters. Parents usually want children of both gender. But, can see his genuine happiness in his eyes.

• Khanh says:

Yeah I know he is still happy.

Do you reckon they will have another kid? Try and find a boy

• Fox says:

There are tabloids to say that he supposed that he couldn’t have children. So any child, girl or boy, is valuable present to him.

• Hannah says:

Well, yeah, considering Patrick and Gigi already have twin girls. Couples tend to try for the opposite sex of their first born.

Yup, Kidd. Patrick looks sincere.

• Anna says:

my guess is that they will keep trying until they have a boy. They certainly have the money for it. My cousin kept trying for a girl but ended up with 5 boys…lol She stopped b/c she wanted the family to still live comfortably.

7. Yen says:

Rewarded for giving birth >.<|||
      Baby making machine ahhh??

• goddessofkrw says:

I was thinking the same thing. There’s no point of giving birth if it’s for financial gain.

• Hannah says:

What’s wrong with a husband wanting to cater to his wife after she went through labor? He knows that it was a painful experience for her, and by giving her gifts, it’s his ways of showing his love.

• Jen says:

Yeah I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it too. The only difference between her and other normal women would be that her push present is much much more expensive. Even Rachel Zoe got a 10 carat ring from her husband after she gave birth to their son. My friends get items like Hermes bracelets. So what’s wrong with getting a bit more if you husband can afford it.

• bizzybody says:

I agree with Hannah. Sometimes media may take the words literally and it doesn’t sound good. But it’s not wrong with a husband showing his appreciation by showering her with gifts for all the wifey goes through just to give birth to their bundle of joy. Besides, the reward mentioned may not be gifts or money.
          Regardless of how they started or ended up being married, Gigi is lucky to have Patrick as he seem to genuinely love and appreciate her.

• skinnymocha says:

Really? The wives receive gifts after labour?

To me, welcoming a child into the world would already be the greatest gift. The husband need only stand by the wife’s side and give his time and effort in helping raise the child. Share the load.

When I hear the word “reward,” it sounds rather demeaning. Perhaps I’m taking it far too literally and it might really be a sign of love and gratitude from husband to wife.

• Funn Lim says:

There is nothing wrong with husbands rewarding wives for successful deliveries. It shows he cares in his own way, instead of just words. Moreover giving birth is dangerous so if he is happy she is alive and baby is healthy and chose to express himself by giving her gifts so be it. I just find it wrong that the media needs to emphasise on that each and every time, as if she is a baby making machine and her fees in properties, etc.

• Yuyu says:

Rewards are only given to those who earned it. Earning means working hard and putting in effort. I think the better wording should be “he thanked her by …” or “he expressed his gratitude by… ”
          Whether she is his baby making machine or he truly loved her and appreciates her is something we don’t know.

• Nicole says:

I agree with Yuyu.
          And I think the word “REWARD” is just used by the media to sensationalise the news.

• Kidd says:

Agree with Nicole. It’s the media who use this word to ask her. They ask him ‘will you reward her?’ and he replied ‘Of course will reward.’. He most probably didn’t think too much about the term use.

• advo says:

The wording of the headline made me sideeye him, but his statement in context does not offend me. I don’t think it’s wrong for him to “reward” her lavishly when that’s a way for him to express gratitude. And yes, I do think men should be grateful to their wives because pregnancies and births are extremely taxing on women!

• sunshine says:

I don’t think there is any wrong with giving gifts for a wife who gives birth to a baby.

Anyway, maybe because Patrick Ma is rich and Gigi is a (former) celebrity that’s why people will think the other way.

Sad, people think too much nowadays.

• Hannah says:

Whatever he does, the media will paint it in a negative way. Well, if he shows no sign of appreciation or does nothing, people will say he’s not happy about having another daughter. Can’t please everyone!

• Anne says:

I totally agree! On each ocassion when I gave birth, my husband bought me a gift. Considering what I went through and even though I didnt expect anything I was ery touched by his thoughtfulness and love for me. Good on Patrick Ma. I commend his love for his wife.

• exoidus says:

LOL, ofcourse you have to insert coins into the vending machine.

8. Emma says:

he looks like a really nice guy – his facial features seem to show he’s a very kind person. congrats Mr Ma and Gigi!

9. Cleo says:

That’s FOUR girls at home who will adore him like birds appearing EVERY TIME he is near – hahaha.

Imagine if she gives birth to a son. This husband will handover half his kingdom to her.

11. Critics says:

Reward for giving birth!!!!

I am a man but I feel his statement shows
      total disrespect for women.

The process of conception to delivering has always been a risk to the life of women.

Sorry to note that the chinese men are still stuck with the 1900s mentalities.

• ddsgsd says:

patrick ma =/= all chinese men

• Kidd says:

So, what should a man do as not to insult women after she gave birth?

• bizzybody says:

Critics, I’d like to know the answer to Kidd’s question too.
          Insulted would be if the husband is playing around with another woman while you’re pregnant/in labor/after your delivery/at any point of time during marriage.

• Jen says:

What is wrong with rewarding her for giving birth? Don’t you all buy presents for your husbands/ wives to show love and appreciation as well?

• bizzybody says:

I feel the same way as you Jen. I think those who can’t afford to ‘reward’ their husband/wife may feel insulted when they hear that statement cos to them love does not involve anything materialistic.
          However, what makes one think in terms of $ when talking about rewards and feel insulted? Rewards can mean lots of things. If I can’t afford to get my wife a gift to show appreciation, i can reward my wife with a kiss and vow to change all the smelly diapers for 1 year and I understand her well enough to know that she understands my meaning by that offer, etc…
          Of course, the rich can do or gift what they like cos they’re rich. No point complaining cos we’re not the one receiving ;)

• Primrose says:

Nothing wrong at all for husbands to show appreciation after their wives go through nine months of pregnany, morning sickness, hormonal changes, leg cramps, backaches, weight gain and several (painful) hours of labour to have their baby! And I believe Patrick didn’t mean that he is rewarding Gigi because she gave birth but rather to show his appreciation for the process that she went through.

• TVBFanatic says:

The husband should have been there through the process though right? Going to classes together, doing the housework, taking care of the wife while she is pregnant. Yes, the wife has the most important job in keeping herself healthy and watching what she eats, but the husband has a responsibility as well.

A healthy child is the reward. Not every event in our lives needs material rewards.

• Hannah says:

Well, did it say Patrick wasn’t there for her throughout her pregnancy? We don’t know that. The news only talk about how Patricks gives Gigi gifts here and there bc that’s a far more interesting topic than reporting about how loving their family is.

• Kidd says:

Agree with Hannah. How do you know Patrick wasn’t there for Gigi during her pregnancy? He could be by her side during her pregnancy and still give her gifts. It’s not mutually exclusive.

I really don’t get you guys. Is it because Patrick is filthy rich and he married a celeb so you guys think so badly of him? I bet if a normal husband buy a gift for his wife after she gave birth, you guys will say he’s caring and romantic.

• TVBFanatic says:

I never said Patrick wasn’t… I was illustrating what a husband should do :P

• TVBFanatic says:

But since you mentioned it Kidd – why do YOU think we were talking about Patrick? To me all the posts above were talking generically about husbands…

• Kidd says:

@ TVBFanatic

Because this article is about Gigi and Patrick and all you complainers are focusing on Patrick saying he will reward Gigi.

Since the article is about Patrick and his ‘reward’, it is logical to think you are talking about Patrick.

“The husband should have been there through the process though right?”

You made it sound like Patrick hasn’t done so and only know how to give gift.

• TVBFanatic says:

No.. I’m am talking about husbands in general. If I was talking about patrick I would have used “Patrick” – besides, how would I know what he did during the pregnancy?

If you think about it, none of us would. Therefore we are talking in general.

• Hannah says:

^ The above comments are directly, and indirectly, referring to Patrick in some way. So, it’s logical, as Kidd pointed it out, to think that you were talking about Patrick when you said, “the husband should have been there throughout the process.” It sounded as if you were indirectly saying Patrick wasn’t.

12. Larry 3 says:

Lucky husband. Now what a bout producing a boy?

13. happybi says:

So happy for Gigi and Patrick!!! What a loving husband! I really like this guy as you can see the genuine happiness on his face when he talks about his wife and children. As for having a boy… honestly do not think that’s a big deal.. as long as it’s a healthy baby, all is good. I wished them a long happy marriage!

14. TVBFanatic says:

Be sure to cherish her every day Patrick, and not just on days when she gives birth ;P

All the best!

15. gwen says:

the news make it as if gigi is a baby making machine..get rewards when she give birth…why cant they be potrayed as a happy family without talking about rewards..marriage is in sickness and in health..does that means if gigi is not in the good books he will punish her..afterall the opposite of reward and punishment..ha ha ha

16. Flower says:

He already seems extremely happy and geniunely thankful for Gigi’s hard work. You could be sensitive and take it wrong but Im sure is not really like what poeple thinks that she’s a baby machine etc. His love is there the gifts are bonus since he def’ could afford it and it keeps the happy spirit going when a husband do that kind of things once in a while to show appreciation.

17. Jayne says:

I think the best gift is always non-material in nature, such as more appreciative words and more loving gestures. It is easier to buy a gift than to give the gift of love though.

However, gift-giving culture has been embedded in our lives. We mark every important event by giving material gifts, such as birthdays, anniversaries, funerals, Christmas, baby arrivals, Christening, retirement, and now even a “push gift” for giving birth.

The problem is the emotional attachment to money, where by spending more money on a gift, a person can demonstrate his sincerity and well wishes. Such as a man proposing with a diamond ring, the larger the carat size indicates his willingness to spend money on her and how much he loves her.

• TVBFanatic says:

I agree… the materialization of our world is very strong. People attach meaning to items and wealth that really aren’t there. We have had proof recently that gifts/wealth are not a replacement for gestures (re: Gaille and her expensive gifts, and even Bosco’s car gift…).

Giving gifts have no meaning unless there is real passion behind them. My wife and I long ago agreed no more gifts on birthdays/anniversaries. Instead we treat ourselves out to a night on the town or on big occasions we take a vacation. We build memories rather than adding “one more item” to the pile – lol!!

• Jayne says:

TVBFanatic,

“Instead we treat ourselves out to a night on the town or on big occasions we take a vacation. We build memories rather than adding “one more item” to the pile – lol!!”

Agree with your statement very much. Building memories together, whether having a memorable party or going out together, gives a longer lasting happiness than buying a certain material gift.

Although certain material gifts, such as a yacht enabling a couple to drift away out to sea would provide many beautiful memories together.

It depends on the type of gift, but it’s become an expectation that we receive gifts for occasions. There is a certain sense of entitlement that others should give gifts to acknowledge our birthdays and holidays etc.

18. sau says:

beautiful mother which will produce beautiful princesses!! congrats … xx

19. E says:

SHE IS GLOWING ^^ I love Gigi. Wonder what the Chinese name will be :)

20. asasdfhjkl says:

so does anyone know what happened to his legs?

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• Job Opening

JayneStars.com is now hiring an entertainment news writer.

Work from home in our paid part-time position. CLICK HERE for details on how to apply!

• JayneStars News Subscription