JayneStars.com logo

TVB Artists Attend Farewell Dinner for Producers Mui Siu Ching and Lau Kar Ho

By on March 16, 2012

TVB Artists Attend Farewell Dinner for Producers Mui Siu Ching and Lau Kar Ho thumbnail

TVB held a farewell dinner for Producers Mui Siu Ching (梅小青) and Lau Kar Ho (劉家豪) last night, wishing them luck as the wife-and-husband team ventured towards new career opportunities at another Hong Kong television station, Now TV. Both producers have worked at TVB for over two decades, creating dramas that won juggernaut ratings and the masses’ favor. The departure of Lau Kar Ho and Mui Siu Ching marked the passing of a golden era in TVB dramas.

Lau Kar Ho entered TVB in 1986, while Mui Siu Ching started working at the company in 1987. Kar Ho Gor’s trademark was dramatic family sagas, featuring the bitter rivalry between family members fighting over the family’s immense wealth. In the 1990s, Kar Ho Gor often partnered with veteran actor, Alex Man (萬梓良), in classics such as Big Family <大家族> and The Key Man <巨人>. Kar Ho Gor’s more recent hit dramas were Heart of Greed <溏心風暴> and Moonlight Resonance <溏心風暴之家好月圓>.

In a field dominated by male producers, Mui Siu Ching was known for her hard work ethics and knack for spotting new talent.  Siu Ching Jeh was one of the first producers to cast Leon Lai (黎明), Moses Chan (陳豪), and Wayne Lai (黎耀祥) in lead roles. Putting in extremely long work hours, Siu Ching Jeh was a perfectionist who had extremely high expectations for the quality of her productions. Confessing that the work pressure was often so immense, Siu Ching Jeh ended up bursting into tears while working on Can’t Buy Me Love <公主嫁到> and Forensic Heroes 3 <法證先鋒III>. Her hard work paid off enormously, as both dramas reigned in the number one spot in ratings for 2010 and 2011 respectively.

TVB Executive Chairman, Norman Leung (梁乃鵬), and executive manager, Virginia Lok (樂易玲), organized the farewell dinner last night. Norman Leung stated, “If the outside environment were not too good, TVB’s big doors will always be open for them (Lau Kar Ho and Mui Siu Ching) to return!” Mr. Leung did not obliterate the possibility that TVB and Now TV may have a joint collaboration together. Numerous artists such as Tavia Yeung (楊怡), Linda Chung (鍾嘉欣), Fala Chen (陳法拉), Kate Tsui (徐子珊), Michelle Yim ( 米雪), Susanna Kwan (關菊英), Ha Yu (夏雨), and Lee Heung Kam (李香琴) were present.

Lau Kar Ho will serve as the President and Mui Siu Ching as the Vice President when they start working at Now TV in April, allegedly earning much higher salaries than what they had received at TVB. With the impending retirement of Lee Tim Shing (李添勝) later this year, TVB will face a dire shortage of superstar producers capable of bringing in reliable ratings. Young and inexperienced production staff were reportedly unable to rise to the heavy responsibilities. It will be interesting to weigh how this will impact the quality of TVB series in 2012.

Images source: Sina.com.cn

Note: This article is written for JayneStars.com. DO NOT re-post this article on any other websites. No part of this article may be copied, reproduced, rearranged, redistributed, modified by any means or in any form whatsoever without prior written permission.  You may use the content online and for your non-commercial, personal use only. Copying these materials for anything other than your personal use is a violation of copyright laws.

Jayne: Is TVB’s golden era behind them? Their dramas from the 1980s and 1990s had a lot of “heart” and often effectively drew the audience’s emotions. In recent years, audiences have complained that their dramas only contact packaging and no soul. Will TVB be able to rise above the competitive environment in the television broadcasting industry and reach new heights?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

• [STYLE] 2013 TVB Anniversary Awards(65)
  • TVB Anniversary Awards: Nominations Revealed on November 29(106)
  • 2014 TVB Calendar(81)
  • TVBC Offers Charmaine Sheh 50 Million RMB Contract(27)
  • Raymond Lam to Film for NowTV?(75)
  • 2013 Next Magazine TV Awards Results: Linda Chung Reaches #1(35)
  • Myolie Wu on Her Relationship with TVB’s Big Four Fadans(88)
  • Results of "2012 Best of TVB Awards" @ JayneStars.com(78)
  • TVB Announces Official 2012 Anniversary Awards Nominations(170)
  • Kate Tsui Wins "2012 Sexiest Woman Alive in China Award" @ JayneStars.com!(169)

• Readers' Comments (71)

1. AC says:

Oh wow, I didn’t realized they were going to be president and vicepresident of Now tv. Congrats to them. I’m kinda surprised TVB threw them a party even though they’re leaving to go to their competition. haha

I think TVB will get better because there’s all this competition now. Competition brings out the best in people.

• Hannah says:

Agree that competition brings out the best in people. Will TVB rise above all or fall apart? We’ll have to wait and see.

What is grandma Tavia wearing? Linda is a tower with her heels, lol

• Larry 3 says:

I think its President & Vice President of Drama Production, they are partnering with Mainland China tv stations to produce dramas.

• Fox says:

NowTV and Txb will become a family, so Cheung Wah Biu might work for Txb again.

2. Larry 3 says:

NowTV and TVB are sort of partners; TVB is going to buy them someday…

3. Fox says:

How high is the heels of Ms. Chung?

Lol @ the fashion coat of Ms. TY. She looks like an umbrella in this one.

• Hannah says:

I say 4-5 inches.

TY isn’t known for her fashion sense now.

• Veejay says:

Im sure TY, Fala and Kate aren’t wearing anything less than 4-5 inches lol..I guess it’s the natural height of Linda that helps to make her tall.

• Hannah says:

lol, no.

I saw a picture with their whole body. TY wore boots (1-1.5 in heels) Couldn’t see what Fala and Kate wore, but Linda’s heels are at least 4 inches.

• 1ni says:

Linda is 173cm & Fala is 171cm. If Linda is wearing 4-5inch then Fala must b in flat shoes.

• Veejay says:

1ni,

You could be rite that Fala might be on flats since kate seems taller than her in the Pic.. knowing Kate is actually shorter than Fala. I guess Ty too were on flat boot/shoes.

• Veejay says:

Hannah,

TY’s fashion sense is definitely going down hill, I can’t remember any glamourous outfit she wore so far.

Even Kate has better fashion sense than her anytime.

• Hannah says:

TY is shorter than Fala, but in the picture she’s almost the same height. So, her boots are 1-2 inches. I’m assuming Fala wore flats, too.

• Fox says:

Too high heels dun look good on Linda. Someone above said she looks like a tower and I kinda agree. 2-3 inches will be better on her because she’ll look more soft.

• sure-lee says:

@Veejay

I’ve seen many pictures from this dinner party, and I noticed that Tavia and Kate were both wearing flat-heeled shoes, while Linda’s is like 4-5in. Didn’t get to see Fala’s shoes.

• Veejay says:

I wanted to ask too how high is the heels that linda was wearing..made her extremely taller than anyone.

and TY really need to put on less foundation, she’s making her entire face too powderish not natural at all. She’s already a pretty girl but why need thick makeup?

Fala, linda and kate have more natural makeup that night

• cinsin says:

Thick make up seems to be the norm these days for most TVB actresses. E.g Myolie

• cinsin says:

But Fala does not look good in the photos. I think Fala is the kind of girl that needs contouring around her face. She looks like she has a “bread roll” face in those pictures.

• Fox says:

Maybe she dun feel confident enough with her outside look. She WAS a pretty girl.

• HeTieShou says:

I wonder how many layers of make up do they wear?? Many times, less make up is better. Is it really necessary to wear that much make up?? Doesn’t it make your face feel unnatural and awkward??

• Fox says:

You can try to slap to see how much foundation fall down, then you will know how thick is the foundation :P. Usually 4 layers: 1. Cream, 2. Base, 3. Foundation, 4. Facial blush (Cheek Chalk). How thick is each layer is the matter, hehe.

• HeTieShou says:

@Fox,
          Thanks for the info! So when do you put the powder on?? Does that go on last?? When you say cream, you mean the make up type cream and not skincare type cream right??

• HeTieShou says:

OH yea, I should slap them to see how much make up falls off. But then again, I can just rub it to see how much comes off… I had one of my friends do that to me once since she thought I had powder on but then nothing came off. THat was embarassing…

• Fox says:

Hehe, I make a mistake :P. Base = Foundation and then Powder :P. I always mistaken their names (lucky dun mistaken their usages :P). Cream can be makeup cream or skincare cream.

Now for normal events, I use BB cream because it can replace both foundation and powder and also look thinner, like I don’t wear makeup :). Maybe you can try.

• Vivien says:

TY and Myolie always wear very thick makeup. Followd by Kate. Linda and Fala wore the less.

• claimine says:

post 23 shows full body length group picture w/o Fala. TY was in flat boots. LC standing on at least 4 inch heels towers them all by at least a head. lol!

Scroll up the thread to see pix of LC with TY, and another with Fala. LC so tall.

• lol says:

Linda is already tall and she’s making other look like dwarfs by wearing the tallest heels too lol

4. reader says:

anyone know who is the old man sitting besides 620? he is part of FH3 cast, he plays Mandy’s grandpa, but i can’t find his name in cast list.

5. KKim168 says:

@reader , I think his name is Chow Chung..

6. TVBaddict says:

LOL The photo of Fala and Kate chit-chatting is so cute…

• Veejay says:

I think they must be talking about how to beautifying themselves haha..all these women talks can last for hours!! or days!!

7. HeTieShou says:

I wonder if TVB will be able to survive with not just artists leaving, but the producers too?? TVB has a tough future ahead of them with the departure of so many talented people and the opening of new stations. Will TVB still be able to rule HK??? Time will tell…

8. HeTieShou says:

I also wanted to add that it is nice that TVB held a farewell dinner for them. I have a good feeling that they may come back to TVB in the future. Many artists have left and came back so I guess it is normal and they don’t have to be so sad…

9. Addy says:

I still have not seen HOG or MR, LOLL. Are they worth my time?

• Lana says:

Yes, Heart of Greed was brilliant in my opinion! Moonlight Resonance was also great, it is more fast-paced than HOG. Moses Chan and Linda were better in HOG whereas Fala and Tavi were better in MR. I do think you should watch them though!

• Fox says:

Depends. I personally think HOG is slightly better than MR but it has like 2 series in 1: A story of the Tong family and another love story of Alfred-SJS.

10. jian says:

jus being curious here, why isn’t catherine tsang in the celebration, i thought she was their superior?

11. Lucia says:

Linda should dress more appropriate for the weather otherwise she might get sick.

12. Kay says:

This is off-topic:

Does anyone feel Linda and Kate aren’t promoted as much? Kate had the most series last year, but her roles were forgettable. Linda still leads her series, but they are small productions. Also, the airing time is bad. I think Fala might go down that path, too. She only has 1 series this year and TITS2 is still in the air.

I guess that’s the trend with TVB. Promote them like crazy at first. Once they made it, let them be on their own.

TVB is promoting the next line of actresses: Aimee, Selena, Natalie, Mandy, Sire, and maybe Nancy.

• Fox says:

It’s the strategy of Txb. Promote, stop, promote, stop then they can’t think that Txb really needs them. Joyce Tang once said tat in an interview. If during the stop the artist can still gain fans, he/she will be promoted again.

• Addy says:

I really liked “Kate” in Relic… until she died and her twin took over LOL

I do not like Fala’s roles. And I don’t watch Linda dramas (not my taste). As for Myolie, eh, IDK, she gets good roles, but somehow I can’t take her seriously. She’s always a comedic actress to me. And Tavia was just boring last year.

• Addy says:

I support new artists so I’m glad that TVB’s FINALLY, after so many years, making a move to start promoting their next line. I enjoy watching Selena, Mandy, Sire, and especially Nancy, so that’s good. I’m a bit ambivalent towards Aimee and Natalie, but they are bearable. Natalie is better than Aimee though as she’s a little more flexible with her acting. Aimee can pretty much do only one role – herself. lol. Her accent is not annoying (to me), but seeing her film period/costume dramas with that accent is just absolutely hilarious.

13. sure-lee says:

I will miss Mui Siu Ching and Lau Ka Ho a lot! Loved their series, and grew up watching them!

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• Job Opening

JayneStars.com is now hiring an entertainment news writer.

Work from home in our paid part-time position. CLICK HERE for details on how to apply!

• JayneStars News Subscription