JayneStars.com logo

Charmaine Sheh: “Every Woman Should Have Her Own Money”

By on February 16, 2013

Charmaine Sheh: “Every Woman Should Have Her Own Money” thumbnail

Mainland Chinese period drama, Marry in the Purple <嫁入豪门>, is Charmaine Sheh’s (佘詩曼) first mainland drama to broadcast on Chinese television after leaving TVB’s management in 2011.

The 40-episode drama serial, which premiered on China’s Jiangxi Satellite Channel on February 10, roughly takes place during the warlord period of Republican China in the 1920’s. The ruthless warlord Cao Zhenfang destroys the Xu family’s soy sauce business, pushing the family into poverty. To fulfill a marriage promise, Shen Yingxiu takes her sister’s place to marry the Xu’s family only son, Jiajun, and helps the family from the attacks of the warlord’s influence.

Charmaine stars as Yingxiu, the serial’s leading tragic character. Chiang Tsu Ping (江祖平) stars as Yingxiu’s older sister, Yingdi, who ends up marrying the warlord’s son, Cao Rui (Kelvin Lu 陆昱霖). Benny Qian (钱泳辰) stars as Xu Jiajun, and Kent Tong (湯鎮業) stars as the warlord, Cao Zhenfang.

“This role is very challenging,” said Charmaine in an interview with Tencent QQ. “I will do my homework every single day to grasp the appropriate emotions of my character.”

Yingxiu is by far one of Charmaine’s most tragic characters to portray. The TVB Award-winning actress revealed at an earlier interview that she would spend almost 40 out of the 50 filming days crying.

Charmaine laughed, “I appear very quiet and wooden when I’m trying to cultivate these emotions. I would rarely interact with others, and outsiders would probably think I was being a diva! I never had to cry so much in my life before. I once had to cry in five scenes in a row. I cried so much that I felt like my body was getting dehydrated. My eyes were swollen after work that day.” Charmaine then added with a joke, “Women are made of water.”

Money Is a Sense of Security

Charmaine went through several rumored relationships since joining in the industry in 1997, but she has never directly admitted to a single one.

Hinting that she is now single again, Charmaine stated, “If I am in a new relationship, I will definitely share it with everyone. I will not hide it.”

Charmaine also revealed, “Ten years ago, I was willing to sacrifice everything for my career, including love. But now, I am different. When I meet my love, I will courageously love him with all my heart.”

Would Charmaine also want to marry a wealthy heir like her character in Marry into the Purple? Charmaine shook her head, expressing that her views of her future are far from that of her character’s fate. “I never thought of marrying into a wealthy family, but I will definitely marry a person I love. Even if a woman marries into a wealthy family, the money may not necessarily be yours. It is probably your husband’s, or your mother-in-law’s. I believe that every woman should have her own money. That way, you will have a sense of security.”

Source: QQ.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , , ,

• Synopsis of TVB Crime Thriller, “Line Walker”(40)
  • Anthony Wong Admits Altering Dialogue in "Lord of Shanghai"(19)
  • Kenneth Ma Receives Acting Tips from Wayne Lai and Anthony Wong(16)
  • Sammi Cheng, Charmaine Sheh Join “Triumph in the Skies” Movie?(69)
  • Charmaine Sheh Has No Urge To Have Children(32)
  • Charmaine Sheh to Star in “Triumph in the Skies” Movie?(46)
  • Michael Miu and Charmaine Sheh Promote “Line Walker”(0)
  • Charmaine Sheh, Donnie Yen Honored in Achievement Awards(11)
  • Kent Tong, Myolie Wu, and Kenneth Ma Join "The Hero" Cast(52)
  • Charmaine Sheh Celebrates 39th Birthday(29)

• Readers' Comments (17)

1. sandcherry says:

Unfortunately, her drama series, “Marry in the Purple”, will not be airing by Fairchild TV in Canada. Moreover, I don’t quite enjoy watching drama series with Mandarin dialogues.

• sandcherry says:

I love to watch more of Charmaine’s drama series. I hope she will film more drama series for TVB.

• Bubblez says:

Most Mainland dramas don’t get shown unless it’s either dubbed or broadcasts really late here. And it is usually shown with Talentvision (I think) or some other chinese channel. :p

• pino says:

she is doing better in ancient series i think,but her acting is just average.

• HeTieShou says:

I think her acting is just average too. I guess some just have the innate talent to act well while some don’t regardless of how long they act for.

2. Nelly says:

She right about earning money herself. It’s a firm of women’s empowerment.

• HeTieShou says:

I agree but it is hard to earn your own money at times once you have kids. UNless you have help or can afford to hire others to take care of them while you work. But in her case, I am sure she can do both since she has the money and may have her mom’s help.

I agree that just because a woman marries into a rich family does not mean that the money is hers because it isn’t. The money is her husband’s and her in laws’ money, not hers…I think having and making my own money would give me confidence and security.

3. polypeptide says:

Given her childhood, it shaped her strong character. I truly admire her for it. Lots of celebrities take the easier way out by marrying the rich, and she doesn’t.

• HeTieShou says:

She is not married yet so who knows?? But I am glad that she knows that it is still better to have your own income even after marrying someone rich because the money will still not be hers.

• sandcherry says:

I don’t think Charmaine cares too much about marrying guys from very wealthy and renowned families. I very seldom heard about her related rumours. She should have been one of the hot chicks when she was young (after her winning and before she got famous and popular), but she chose her career instead ……… Charmaine also revealed, “Ten years ago, I was willing to sacrifice everything for my career, including love.”

• sandcherry says:

She must have resisted many temptations to have dates with rich guys.

4. chiki says:

Good for Charm to rely on her own self and money. It’s not always the easy way out but it’s the way that gives you the most sense of accomplishment as a person. Especially in the entertainment world, you need that confidence.

5. AL says:

I love Charmaine….I wish she can meet her Mr. Right soon…she is rich enough…about time to find one to marry…she is 37!

• kun says:

37 is an age of a MILF. Too old for any young, handsome or rich guy. It’s also too hard to pregnant her since her fertility is too weak to bear child with this body size at this age.

6. Fox says:

It’s absolutely right. Woman, even in a marriage, still need to have own money.

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: