Hu Ge’s New TV Drama “Nirvana in Fire” Unveils Character Posters

By on January 30, 2014 in TV Dramas

Mainland Chinese actors Hu Ge (胡歌) and Wang Kai (王凱), and mainland Chinese actress Tamia Liu (劉濤), will star in an upcoming period drama titled Nirvana in Fire <瑯琊榜>, which will begin filming at Hengdian World Studios after Lunar New Year.

Nirvana in Fire is based on an Internet novel by author Hai Yan (海宴), who was invited to pen the screenplay for the television adaptation. Often called the Chinese version of The Count of Monte Cristo, the story revolves around a gifted young man named Lin Shu (Hu Ge), whose father serves as a general in the army. Already a high-ranking military officer by his teenager years, Lin Shu enjoyed a close friendship with Prince Xiao Jingyan (Wang Kai) and was even engaged to Princess Nihuang (Liu Tao).

At age 17, however, Lin Shu’s life turned upside down when his father’s army was framed and obliterated by a scheming political rival. Thanks to his loyal soldiers, Lin Shu escaped death, but due to the cold environment, his body became weak and frail, and he lost his martial arts abilities. From then on, his face was permanently pale and his fingers always ice-cold.

After twelve years, Lin Shu returned to his country’s capital with a new name, Mei Changsu, and a new identity, the leader of the Jiang Zuo Alliance. He then became the strategic adviser for his friend, Prince Jingyan, who had been exiled by the king. Despite the efforts of Prince Xiao Jingheng (Victor Huang 黃維德) and the crown prince (Gao Xin 高鑫) to win the throne for themselves, Mei Changsu succeeds in paving the road for his friend to take over as king, as well as the avenging the injustices dealt to his troops many years before.

Like the original novel, Nirvana in Fire will not be set in any particular dynasty. However, the production company, Shandong Entertainment Media, revealed that the costumes will be based on the pre-Tang Dynasty style.

Nirvana in Fire Hu Ge2  Nirvana in Fire 2  Nirvana in Fire 3

Sources: QQ.com; Sdchina.com

This article is written by Joanna for JayneStars.com.

49 comments to Hu Ge’s New TV Drama “Nirvana in Fire” Unveils Character Posters

1. Kitty Doan says:

Tamia Liu (劉濤) is good,,, can’t wait

Login or Register before you can reply to Kitty Doan

Sounds interesting. Costumes as usual for mainland drama looks very good.

• Puff replied:

Hmm, not all mainland drama costumes look good all the time… Lan Ling Wang for example was not good.

Agree that this sounds interesting, and the costume looks ver good… It exudes an ethereal beauty feel. Hopefully it’s not photoshop effect and the movie will look and feel the same.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • HeTieShou replied:

Yup, not all China series have nice costumes. Some have bad and hideous looking ones. But for this series,the costumes do look nice. Let’s hope the story and all is good. Great that Liu Tao is still acting even though she us married with children. By the way,is that Hu Ge in the above photo with Liu Tao? It firs not look like him if it is him.

Meant to say does not

• Little fishy replied:

I thought lan ling wang costume was not too bad? The boy costumes were good. The girl costume is ok. But it was not hideous? I like the different colour scheme in lan ling wang than the usual tame colour scheme in other series.

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
      • HeTieShou replied:

I was not referring to lan ling wang but was just saying in general. I agree that the costumes for lan ling wang were not too bad because I have seen worse.

• msxie replied:

Some of the men’s costumes in LLW looked so medieval European. And the villainous Zheng’er always wore the same gaudy outfit with lacy frill upon becoming queen.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
      • Puff replied:

Didn’t say Lan ling wang costume is hideous, just not very good. Lan ling wang male costume was ok, but female was definitely bad especially a few of Ariel’s outfit and as msxie said Zheng Er’s gaudy outfit.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff

Puff,
        Sorry did not mean to say that you thought the costumes were hideous. I was just talking in general how some series do have ugly costumes while others have nice costumes.

• Little fishy replied:

I know what’s you mean, though just didn’t think it was that bad to be listed as an example lol. It’s true there are so many hideous costumes from other drama, more so than LLW :p they would be more suitable example. About LLW male costume resemblance European medieval is because some feel that the Gao is a mixed blood, like not true Chinese? That’s why the clothes is like that (can’t remember where I read this though)

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
      • Puff replied:

Thanks HTS for the clarification. No worries, I know you didn’t think I thought LLW costume was hideous. I just wanted to clarify for the avoidance of doubt by any others. 🙂

Thanks little fishy, interesting angle about the mixed blood… But I thought the Gao royal family is pure chinese. 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff

@Puff,
        Thanks and just wanted to clarify to make sure. I guess we both know each other well enough to not misunderstand but others may not know what we are saying at times.

• Puff replied:

Indeed HTS 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • Little Fishy replied:

Like i said i cant remember where i read it. But one of the thing was mention is the possibility of mix blood, and thats why that whole family were outrageously handsome/beautiful, but slightly mental/evil lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to Little Fishy
  3. MW says:

Whoa! “Nirvana in Fire” looks promising. Can’t wait.

So glad we’re getting more and more mainland TV drama news. Thanks, JayneStars.com!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
  4. annoymous says:

looks interesting. hopefully it is not long and dragging.

Login or Register before you can reply to annoymous
    • Little fishy replied:

90% of Chinese series is long and dragging >__>

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
      • HeTieShou replied:

That is not true and it varies from series to series.

• Puff replied:

Not true. It varies. The latest one I’m watching, Mulan with Yuan Hong I haven’t fast forward yet and I’m up to ep 20.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • MW replied:

I enjoyed Mulan too. Loved both characters played by Elanne Kong and Yuan Hong, especially the book worm. haha 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
      • Puff replied:

Totally agree MW… Yuan Hong is super cute as the book worm. Well acted.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • Little fishy replied:

Really? I would have put Mulan in the long and dragging series, though I’ve only seen the trailer, as I don’t feel there is much storyline to Mulan, a remake = just get longer each remake >_> and there are many Mulan remake >_>

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
  5. lemongrass says:

Sounds interesting. Looking forward to watch this.

Login or Register before you can reply to lemongrass
  6. ita says:

Tamia liu, is she the A Zhu in TLBB with Hu Jun?. Like her, very pretty and act quite well..

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yes,that is her. She was also the Mian Dian princess in Hzgg 3. That was my first time seeing her.

• Puff replied:

I’ve never seen her before, probably because I only started watching a lot more mainland dramas recently. Hope she’s good.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff

Puff,
        Yea,she is a good actress. I first saw her in HZGG 3 as the Mian Dian princess.She stopped acting for awhile due her marriage and kids that I thought she would retire. I think that is why you have not seen her much yet if you did not watch series in the past because she used to act a lot. She was also in that one series with Nicky, Da Li princess with Ruby Lin and Da Ren Wu (Gu Long novel)with Nic Tse and Angelica Lee.

• Little fishy replied:

I like her in the one with Nicky wu, though I don’t like Nicky :p she was absolutely gorgeous in that one, but such a sad sad sad sad ending -.- I feel for the other emperor T_T

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
      • Puff replied:

Thanks HTS. I’m even more looking forward to this now. Hope it’ll be good.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • HeTieShou replied:

You are welcome Puff, but it is just my opinion that she is a good actress. However, some may not like her acting since acting is subjective. If you have time, you can check out some of her series to see how they are. I personally enjoyed the series that acted in. I also hope this series is good and what a relief that it is not a remake since I am tired of remakes.

@Little Fishy,
        There is way more to any series than just the cast. I watch any series that I think seems to be good based on many factors besides the cast. A series cannot be good without a good plot/storyline overall regardless of how good the cast is. THat is just what I have discovered after watching series for so many years.

• Puff replied:

Thanks HTS, I might check out HGG3 since I haven’t watch that yet.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • HeTieShou replied:

You are welcome Puff and I highly recommend HZGG3 but many were bias against it due to the cast change. However, I think the cast did really well, but most importantly the story was good in my opinion anyways.

• skinnymocha replied:

Her role as Ah Zhu is the most memorable to me! I also like her in this Cantonese drama called 外來媳婦本地郎.

Didn’t know she’s still acting though – thought she was (semi)retired.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
      • HeTieShou replied:

She was in a Cantonese drama? Or was it a mainland drama dubbed in Cantonese? I do not think she ever acted for HK.

• skinnymocha replied:

Not HK, it was set in Guangdong. 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
      • skinnymocha replied:

Someone’s even uploaded a bunch of episodes here on Youtube.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
      • HeTieShou replied:

Oh ok, thanks for clarifying that.

7. ping0 says:

Liu Tao is absolutely beautiful! I am so glad she is back at leading roles again after her break, I keep seeing her in supportive roles, I was afraid she got stepped down. Hearing this makes me very happy! I would never thought that she would be paired up with HU ge! I am looking forward to this!

Login or Register before you can reply to ping0
  8. msxie says:

How refreshing that this is not another remake!

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
    • HeTieShou replied:

Totally agree and there are times that I am so excited to see an ancient series just to discover that it is a remake. I am so tired of remakes!!!

• anonymous replied:

I also agree. I find that remakes are too redundant and everything gets old and no originality.

Login or Register before you can reply to anonymous
      • msxie replied:

Is there a film makers website where fans can voice criticism about remakes?

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
      • HeTieShou replied:

Even if there was, I highly doubt that they would care about what the fans think. They just want yo cash in on the remakes and are running out of ideas.

• MW replied:

For the younger generation, it’s not a remake (even though a drama really is).

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
  9. nfc says:

Tamia Liu!!1 shes good! i always like her acting. shes pretty too!

Login or Register before you can reply to nfc
  10. Mono says:

Hu ge sure play chor lau heung, he look so hot in costum drama

Login or Register before you can reply to Mono
  11. cc says:

So excited for this(not re-make)drama… I don’t know much about the story-line but sounds very interesting and what a new fresh pairing… Hu Ge my forever crush and Tamia liu awesome…

Login or Register before you can reply to cc