Will “Inbound Troubles” Have a Movie Version?

By on January 27, 2013 in TV Dramas

Audiences love TVB drama, Inbound Troubles <老表,你好嘢!> so much that they have suggested a movie version to be made. Despite its controversial content in the depiction of Hong Kong and mainland Chinese tensions, Inbound Troubles averaged 30 ratings points in the first two weeks of broadcast.

Producer Wong Wai Sing (黃偉聲) admitted that the characters from Inbound Troubles have opportunities to be explored further. Wong had produced 2009’s E.U. <學警狙擊>, which gave life to Michael Tse’s (謝天華) highly successful “Laughing Gor” character, resulting in one drama sequel and two movies. Stating earlier that TVB will film a sequel if the ratings for Inbound Troubles continue to be strong, producer Wong did not omit the possibility that a movie version will also be filmed and will await senior management’s decision.

However, producer Wong will first film new TVB drama, Food for the Slaves <食為奴>, in February. Although Raymond Lam (林峯), Ron Ng (吳卓羲), Fala Chen (陳法拉), Sharon Chan (陳敏之), and Nancy Wu (胡定欣) had filmed the original presentation clip, they are unavailable due to scheduling conflicts. The confirmed cast now consist of Ben Wong (黃智賢), Wong Cho Lam (王祖藍), Joey Meng (萬綺雯), Bob, and Louis Cheung (張繼聰).

Since the majority of Food for the Slaves‘ cast are actors from Inbound Troubles, this led to confusion as to whether this is the sequel in ancient format. Wong Cho Lam quickly denied this was the case, although admitting that the recent popularity of Inbound Troubles brought the cast many money-making opportunities. At Mimi Chu’s (朱咪咪) upcoming Hong Kong Coliseum concert in February, the cast may gather together once again due to popular demand.

Cho Lam Watched Viewers’ Reactions Closely

Wong Cho Lam spent nearly half a year writing the script for Inbound Troubles, incorporating personal family experiences and current events into the drama. Initially nervous by the number of viewer complaints generated, Cho Lam was relieved by the good ratings. “More than 200 complaints were filed, in return for over 2 million viewers tuning in! Thank you everyone!” Cho Lam thanked fans at an Inbound Troubles promotional event alongside fellow cast members.

Roger Kwok (郭晉安) and Joey Meng (萬綺雯) felt that Cho Lam was a very fair scriptwriter in distributing the weight of the characters evenly throughout the drama, allowing each role to shine.

Angela Tong (湯盈盈) was one-month pregnant while filming Inbound Troubles and unable to avoid risky scenes in the drama, such as a car crash and falling down. “I requested a stunt double for my action scenes, but the director and assistant director refused. When Roger carried me on his back, I felt jostled. After they found out that I was pregnant, they felt very guilty.” Currently eight months pregnant, Angela is expecting her first baby with husband, Chin Ka Lok (錢嘉樂).

Source: Ming Pao

16 comments to Will “Inbound Troubles” Have a Movie Version?

1. Agnes Tan says:

I hope they mk a movie version for Inbound Troubles, my family enjoy the series very much.

Login or Register before you can reply to Agnes Tan
  2. Cloud9 says:

I enjoy this drama very much, good time to watch during Chinese New Year

Login or Register before you can reply to Cloud9
  3. Lawls says:

I hope they make this into movie too, it is a really good series. I always have a good laugh after a stressful day:)

Login or Register before you can reply to Lawls

I love the pun on Helena Law and dressing her exactly like the Queen of England!

• pandamao replied:

her random English words are super funny!

i like the pairings of this series a lot myself but I prefer they get rid of Bob. He’s just ugh … annoying

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
      • smurf120 replied:

I remember watching old Hong Kong comedies when people would always throw in random English words to sound more educated. Some real life relatives who grew up under British rule still do that.

Login or Register before you can reply to smurf120
  5. Larry 3 says:

make it just to piss off the Mainland Chinese officials.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  6. snoopy says:

Would be interesting to see what else they can add to the movie. While I’m not a fan of Wong Cho Lam, I enjoy watching it every night for stress relief and a bit of laugh.

Login or Register before you can reply to snoopy
    • AL replied:

same here

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
  7. Spice says:

I find the show very interesting but Joey Meng is so bland. Not a bit of funny bone in her and I don’t think she is suited for humorous shows.

Login or Register before you can reply to Spice
  8. Djojs says:

This series is ok but not that fantastic to spin off a movie.

I think I only enjoy scenes with Jo lam, the other 3 starlets, Mimi chu, Helena and Chiu chiu.

Parts relating to Roger, joey and Angela are boring.

Login or Register before you can reply to Djojs
  9. dd says:

I’m starting to become a bit disillusioned with this drama. Especially the exploitation of May Chan where pretty much every scene of her has her character eating something. I mean, she likes eating but certainly there’s more than that to her right?

And Tommy Wong’s character having a lot of money and using it as a tool…I don’t think money is realistically an end-all solution to everything.

And now we’re doing this incest cousin relationship. I don’t know…yay I guess.

Login or Register before you can reply to dd
  10. Spice says:

Why is cousin relationship incest? I believe they are 2nd cousin.

Login or Register before you can reply to Spice
  11. blurjen says:

cant wait to this serial

Login or Register before you can reply to blurjen
  12. blurjen says:

cant wait to wtach!

Login or Register before you can reply to blurjen
  13. Megamiaow says:

I find this series so dull I dont see what the appeal is. So many offending stereotypes of people as well. My mum loves it though, it must do something for the See Lai audience.

Login or Register before you can reply to Megamiaow