21 Years Later, TV King is Close but Still Far for Ruco Chan

By on December 18, 2016 in NEWS

21 Years Later, TV King is Close but Still Far for Ruco Chan

With only Hong Kong to take down, “Kuen Lo” Ruco Chan (陳展鵬) is on a winning streak to become the year’s triple TV King.

In October, the A Fist Within Four Walls <城寨英雄> star won Favorite TVB Actor in Singapore, followed by a landslide victory for TV King in November’s TVB Star Awards Malaysia. Tonight, Hong Kong will be deciding whether or not they will crown Ruco as 2016’s Best Actor.

It is not going to be a easy race. With House of Spirit’s <一屋老友記> Bobby Au-yeung (歐陽震華) and Dead Wrong’s (致命復活) Roger Kwok (郭晉安) as some of his biggest competitors, Ruco’s ultimate goal of being Hong Kong’s TV King seems to be as far as it is close.

Ruco’s been in the top five race for TV King since 2013, when he broke out in Brother’s Keeper <巨輪>. Despite nabbing both Singapore and Malaysia’s TV King trophies last year for Captain of Destiny <張保仔>, Ruco said 2016 is the year where he felt most comfortable at where he’s standing.

The actor said, “I am much happier about my chances this year than previous years. You often get roles that you think are great, but viewers may not think the same. Of course I’ll be happy if I win all three. After all, I’ve treaded through this industry for 21 years. It was a slow start, but I know I’m considered one of the luckier ones. To win [TV King] is something that feels very near, but also very far. Just because I want it, doesn’t mean I’ll get it. But anyway, I do feel getting closer to it every year. Kuen Lo is a role I’ve been waiting for since my debut. He isn’t very hard to do, but to play such a simple-minded and youthful character can be quite challenging for someone who’s been in the industry for a long time. This is probably the role where I felt most viewers have come to like and identify with.”

Ruco is currently in his last month of principal photography for his new action drama The Unholy Alliance <同盟>. He will then get into work for Heaven’s Will <天命>, a drama about the Qing official, Heshen. After Heaven’s Will, Ruco will take a long break to spend more time with his family.

“We all have different stages in our lives. There’s going to be a period when we’re grinding through and taking risks, but life’s not all about that. We need to slow down and enjoy life too. I can’t even remember the last time I had vacation with my family.

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

25 comments to 21 Years Later, TV King is Close but Still Far for Ruco Chan

1. diana80 says:

Keep up your good work, Ruco!! As long as you have strong will & determination, i believe you will be crowned the TV King of Hong Kong sooner or later…it’s just a matter of time.

Tonite’s TV King winner is really unpredictable. But i think Ruco will not be going back empty-handed. Roger, Ruco and Bobby are all my predicted winners for tonite.

As for TV Queen, i really hope it could be someone else other than Nancy Wu. Even if not Maggie Shiu, Kristal Tin’s performance in Brother’s Keeper 2 is as solid as her performance in the first installment of the series too. In other words, Kristal also deserves the title…at least her winning will not be as easy as Nancy (who has high chances of winning twice in a row).

Login or Register before you can reply to diana80
    • lam86 replied:

@diana80 TV king surely roger no doubt excellent acting. RUCO either win my favourite or empty handed. But bobby definitely deserve my favourite if tvb not rigging it tonight. But popular drama should be My house Spirit!

Login or Register before you can reply to lam86
  2. funnlim says:

I will give TV King to Roger the deserving winner who inspite the insipid story manages to just give it his most sinister menacing sneering self and still make me cheer for his Vincent.

Ruco can get the favourite award. But yes I would have given to Bobby but maybe House of Spirits can get best series or TVB can create a new award called Best ensemble cast and give it to House of Spirits.

Login or Register before you can reply to funnlim
    • funnlim replied:

” This is probably the role where I felt most viewers have come to like and identify with”

I feel Kuen Lo is an injustice to Ruco’s talent and one of the worst developed character and next to nancy’s probably most wasted. I know actors are supposed to say their most popular role as blah blah blah but come on Ruco, let’s be fair; your prince role was far more complex.

Login or Register before you can reply to funnlim
    • lam86 replied:

Best Actor : Undisputed Roger Kwok 4th winning of tv king awards (I hope he prepares his excellent speech and talk about his successful drama life since at the threshold of an era until now, and i hope his wife will be there later and hug him!) but top 5 should be roger,ruco,bosco,bobby and alex fong

My Favourite Male: Great competition from bosco,roger,bobby,vincent and ruco but i believe BOBBY will nail it!

Best Actress: Kristal or Nancy the other actress really not very appealing. But not that kristal or nancy very appeal just slightly appeal than the rest. No choice nancy will nail it again this time @@

My favourite actress: hard to say this one totally wont know

Best Drama: House of Spirit!!!

Best supporting actor and actress impossible to judge bcoz the nomination all also keh leh feh see who got luck later will nail it.

hehehehehe

Login or Register before you can reply to lam86
  3. jimmyszeto says:

It’s been a terrible year but TVB will give Ruco the award because of him being a consistent servant to the company over the years rather than his performance. I bet no one can remember a single memorable scene involving Ruco this year. It was just an average role, average performance. Rogers character was 100 times more difficult to portray and he was excellent but will likely come up empty handed.

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
    • lucida replied:

@jimmyszeto
      Yes agree with your comment.

Login or Register before you can reply to lucida
    • janet88 replied:

@jimmyszeto I hope tvb gives the award to Ruco…but if he is competing with Bosco, it will be very tough. But please don’t give it to roger.

As for tv Queen award, I am sure there are actresses who deserve other than Nancy and kristal.

Login or Register before you can reply to janet88
  4. passingby says:

The same few armchair critics giving their 2 cents’ worth. The views expressed here are merely their own opinion and in no way represents majority views. Unless these people are sitting on cannes or oscars judging panel they’re not qualified to judge but of cos feel free to express their opinion which shouldn’t be taken seriously. sorry Roger isn’t in top 3 according to a news report. In my opinion his role isn’t breakthrough. It’s similar to BHWS. Notice how he kept emphasising on the sacrifices he made to gilm

Login or Register before you can reply to passingby
    • lam86 replied:

@passingby hahaha,almost started. by 11pm i wonder if you still dare to sneak out from ur cave anot :p

Login or Register before you can reply to lam86
      • loveruco replied:

@lam86
        Ruco won!!! Look who is the one who should dare to sneak out from his/ her cave.LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to loveruco
    • meryl5treep replied:

@passingby like your level headed comments.

Login or Register before you can reply to meryl5treep
  5. passingby says:

Sorry glitch…
    …film this drama. That smacks of cheap publicity and fishing for sympathy votes. Surely roger if he’s confident of himself need not resort to this tactic.

Login or Register before you can reply to passingby
  6. lam86 says:

when benjamin yuen and fa man can win most popular already can know tvb rigged it to the max wtf tvb. Purposely want to give all the fist drama actors and actresses to win everything. TVB can go die la stupid shit. The most rigged award of on earth . lolol…

Login or Register before you can reply to lam86
  7. hannah says:

Congratz to Ruco! Saw the show last night and he won best actor! my preference still Roger or Bobby.

Login or Register before you can reply to hannah
  8. happybi says:

Happy for Ruco but honestly don’t think he deserve the win this year. And nancy again? Sorry but Maggie was way better. Also think its a joke that Benjamin won favorite character and Joyce Tang got nothing! What a disappointment this year.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
    • ivan replied:

@happybi agree !

Login or Register before you can reply to ivan
    • janet72 replied:

@happybi i haven’t watched it yet….but benjamin as 牙佬 was so boring…he is devoid of emotions even when grace wong’s character died.

Login or Register before you can reply to janet72
  9. ivan says:

I feel sorry for roger . He put so much effort in his role in dead wrong and he was top notch in the show . He lost 30pounds for the show and
    distance himself from his wife during filming because he gotten into the character a lot . I also heard that he almost got depressed while filming dead wrong .
    All effort and end up getting nothing .

Login or Register before you can reply to ivan
    • loveruco replied:

@ivan
      No doubt Roger is a great actor but this is life – you win some, you lose some.Anyway, he is not the only actor who has sacrificed a lot. There are many others who have done so. At least for Roger, he has won tvb king 3 times already.

Login or Register before you can reply to loveruco
      • janet72 replied:

@loveruco those who have won tv king award 3x should step aside for the others…can’t possibly let them win every year. there are so many in tvb who have worked so hard for 20 years and more…they truly deserve recognition.

Login or Register before you can reply to janet72
      • joycelyn replied:

@janet72 agreeeeeeeeeeee

Login or Register before you can reply to joycelyn
      • isay replied:

@loveruco It’s like that in every award, not everyone agrees but that’s fine. Roger isn’t the first or only nor will he be the last to “sacrifice” for his role.

Login or Register before you can reply to isay
  10. lucida says:

It’s clearly shows that Tvb is starting to change from this year they’re not judging actors performance is more on contract basis, long service and popularity votes. So no matter how good and excellence the actor performance is no longer important for this new generation. So different from the Oscar…hahaha popularity votes. Tvb should be thankful to the veteran actors willing to come back and collaborate with the newbies and promote them at the same time. TVB is actually more like an elementary school after these actors getting their awards and popularity infact they’ll have more opportunities to venture into movies and stage theatre which is even more popular, unlimited salaries and international recognition.

Login or Register before you can reply to lucida
  11. george says:

Ruco should have won his award in previous years. But this year, with Dead Wrong, Roger should have won it! Check out his hard work for the role https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSjz2N-Vw6w.

Login or Register before you can reply to george