Kevin Cheng and Fruit Chan Spent 8 Hours with Macau Police

By on January 14, 2017 in Movies, NEWS

Kevin Cheng and Fruit Chan Spent 8 Hours with Macau Police

A few days ago, the Made in Kowloon <九龍不敗> film crew—including director Fruit Chan (陳果) and actor Kevin Cheng (鄭嘉穎)—were taken to the Public Security Police Force department in Macau after they were seen shooting a part of the movie in front of a restricted building in the city. They were detained by the police for 8 hours.

The incident started when Fruit Chan moved the film crew to the front of a police department in Macau. Kevin, who plays a Macau police officer, was told by the director to step into the department building and then walk back out. As the movie did not apply for a filming permit beforehand, the Macau police brought the film crew, including Kevin, back to the department for questioning.

At the police station, Kevin’s phone had to be confiscated, but he did manage to notify his close family and friends beforehand. Kevin and the Made in Kowloon film crew were finally released at 11 p.m. They were confronted by reporters, but did not respond to their questions. When they were about to board their ferry back to Hong Kong, Kevin smiled and said he was fine. The film crew made it back to Hong Kong by 3 a.m.

According to reports, director Fruit Chan had to sign an apology statement to the Macau Security Force and other departments about not following the proper license procedures. Fruit Chan stated that he now understands what has to be done, and apologized again for the inconveniences he had caused for the Macau police. He stressed that he will follow all procedures when he films in Macau again.

Upon their return to Hong Kong, Fruit Chan and Kevin released a video recording of them explaining what had happened with the Macau police. Fruit apologized to Kevin for getting him involved, while Kevin said he was well, even praising the police department for having delicious food.

Timeline of the incident

January 11, around 11:00 p.m.
Kevin Cheng attends a banquet in Hong Kong, hosted by Pegasus Motion Pictures

January 12, around midnight
Kevin Cheng arrives at the Hong Kong-Macau Ferry Terminal, en route to Macau

January 12, around 3:00 p.m.
Kevin Cheng, Fruit Chat, Alan Wan, and other crew members of Made in Kowloon shot a scene in front of the Public Security Police Force Intelligence Agency. Kevin was told by director Fruit Chan to step into the building and walk back out. Because the film crew did not apply for a filming license there, Macau police brought them in for investigation.

January 12, around 11:25 p.m.
Kevin Cheng, Alan Wan, etc. leave the police department and return to their hotel.

January 13, around 1:05 a.m.
Kevin Cheng leaves his hotel.

January 13, around 1:20 a.m.
Kevin Cheng arrive at the Outer Harbour Ferry Terminal, leaving for Hong Kong.

January 13, around 3:00 a.m.
Kevin Cheng arrives in Hong Kong.

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for

5 comments to Kevin Cheng and Fruit Chan Spent 8 Hours with Macau Police

  1. funnlim says:

    8 hours over a permit issue? Really Macau? Your police force so free that something as simple as permit needs 8 hours? And they had to apologise to the police for detaining them for 8 hours? Are the lawyers dead?

    Login or Register before you can reply to funnlim
    • queenian replied:

      @funnlim or the crew could’ve just done the right thing and gotten a permit. Im sure that they’ve all been working in the industry long enough to know that you need a permit to film anywhere especially in front of a police station. it was their mistake in the first place so of course they have to apologize.

      Login or Register before you can reply to queenian
      • funnlim replied:

        @queenian I won’t dispute on the permit part. But 8 hours of questioning is an abuse of police power. Especially they know the actors have nothing to do with the permit.

        Login or Register before you can reply to funnlim
    • rainbow28 replied:


      Yes, the police is not very productive if they need 8 hours to question the crew on the permit issue. It’s like spending the whole day or work shift questioning the crew.

      Login or Register before you can reply to rainbow28
  2. aiya says:

    8 hours might be the standard penalty for not coughing up any “grease money” to get themselves out earlier.

    But then, these are the same cheap skates who tried to avoid paying a filming permit fee by using such “cockroach” approach to filming. It was akin to brand piracy.

    Login or Register before you can reply to aiya