Dayo Wong and Fala Chen to Star in Blockbuster Comedy Movie

By on April 19, 2014 in Movies

Dayo Wong (黃子華) and Fala Chen (陳法拉) are cast as the main leads in Ronald Cheng (鄭中基) and Gordan Chan’s (陳嘉上) upcoming $80 million HKD blockbuster comedy, Cheung Po Tsai <張保仔>. The movie originally intended to star Louis Koo (古天樂) and Shu Qi (舒淇), but their schedules unfortunately did not work out in favor. Cheung Po Tsai is estimated to begin filming in Guangzhou at the end of April.

In the movie, Dayo and Ronald will be portraying a pair of hilarious pirates. With the cast’s fresh sparks of chemistry and Dayo as lead, the film hopes to hit high viewership ratings.

Initially, Dayo planned to spend the upcoming months preparing for his stand-up comedy at the end of the year. When he was contacted about Louis’ drop from Cheung Po Tsai and asked if he could take the role, Dayo decided to save some time aside in order to participate. On the other hand, Louis’ schedule is extremely busy with three movies waiting for him, including Triumph in the Skies <衝上雲霄>, The Principal of Five Kids <5個小孩的校長>, and SPL 2 <殺破狼2>.

When reporters approached Dayo’s manager, May, to ask about his situation, she expressed, “Dayo accepted Cheung Po Tsai because he is great friends with Gordon and Ronald. They asked for his help and accommodated his schedule. They said it would only take one and a half months and should not affect his stand-up comedy at the end of the year. With that, Dayo agreed! But after this project, he is really not going to be up for anything else!”

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Shirley for JayneStars.com.

Note: This article was modified on April 21, 2014 to note that Cheung Po Tsai is a film, rather than a series as initially reported.

• No Related Posts.

• 29 comments to Dayo Wong and Fala Chen to Star in Blockbuster Comedy Movie

1. Nori says:

Series? wait… I don’t understand. Is it TV drama or just a single film?

Login or Register before you can reply to Nori
      • sandcherry replied:

I have the same question. It does not look like it is a TVB drama series.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • winnie replied:

This is one confusing article ” Dayo is finally offered the opportunity to star in a grand production.”, with Louis Koo dropping out, i best guess is … it’s a movie, which is why Dayo and a grand production.
        “Dayo agreed! But after this series, he’s really not going to be up for anything else!”” They kept referring to series, and i always thought series is a long tvb drama that covers a story line over many episodes.

Login or Register before you can reply to winnie
      • sandcherry replied:

After reading the Chinese source (I usually just rely on the posted article unless there are some questions raised), I realized that “Cheung Po Tsai” (張保仔) is a movie, a $80 million grand production, co-produced by Ronald Cheng and Gordon Chan. Dayo Wong has been named as “sales box poison” in the past in movies, therefore he is never cast in any grand productions. Dayo Wong was asked to help with a last minute’s notice due to the unavailability of Louis Ko and Shu Qi. Due to his close friendship with Gordon Chan and Ronald Cheng, he accepted the offer.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
        • Funn Lim replied:

Here it says series. Confusing. Maybe a series of movies??

• sandcherry replied:

Ronald Cheng and Gordon Chan are co-directors, not co-producers.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
        • Primrose replied:

I read the Chinese source too. It is a movie. Simply wrong translation (again!!!) by the writer and slipped up by the editor (again!!!). And it’s not “hopes to hit high viewership ratings”, but rather box office takings (source said 票房).

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose
        • pandamao replied:

I read the original source as well and I can understand why there was a confusion by the translator. However, logically speaking, translator should have caught the various hints to determine whether the article was referring to a movie or tv series production.

Anyway – I wouldn’t be so harsh to the translator and editor. It’s pretty difficult to be fluent in both very different languages. Jayne is normally pretty good with making the changes after reading the comments of the errors.

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
        • Primrose replied:

“It’s pretty difficult to be fluent in both very different languages.” – Disagree. There are many professional and accredited translators and interpreters, all who are highly proficient, competent and fluent in two (and sometimes more) language.

I am an ex journalist and occasionally do freelance writing work these days. It just irks me when people call themselves writer/editor but lack the professionalism that comes with the job title. Unfortunately my command of Chinese is not very good and I depend on this site for my fix of entertainment news.

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose
        • pandamao replied:

@Primrose – there are exceptions in this world and I am not throwing JayneStar translators in that high podium.

If I am depending on someone to aide me on something I can’t do well, I suggest some appreciation. At the very least, the article was translated to about 70% accuracy. Just saying …

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
        • Primrose replied:

@pandamao – appreciation is one thing. Professionalism is another. As a reader enjoying a free service, maybe I shouldn’t expect too much. But this site has advertisers to answer to. And as a site whose goal is “to provide entertaining, insightful and inspiring content … … ” surely 70% accuracy is not the benchmark set by the editor and advisory committee, unless they come out here to specifically say so. I have yet to work for any publication, website or company that tells me that as long as my work is 70% accurate/properly written, it is ok and my pay cheque is in the mail. Maybe I should apply to JayneStar 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose
        • jayne replied:

Primrose,
          We will gladly make corrections to any facts that were incorrectly posted in our articles. We strive to convey the correct facts in our stories to our readers, although sometimes human errors will result.

“I have yet to work for any publication, website or company that tells me that as long as my work is 70% accurate/properly written, it is ok and my pay cheque is in the mail. Maybe I should apply to JayneStar”

In the meantime, would appreciate you curbing your sarcasm. What made you draw the conclusion that our articles are 70% accurate? That is an insult to the hard work put in by our writers.

We welcome constructive criticism to improve. However, you take opportunities to insult our writers and our professionalism. If you are dissatisfied with the quality of our writing, you may take your insults elsewhere and seek out more well-written entertainment journalism on the web.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
        • pandamao replied:

@Jayne –

The 70% remark was something random I threw out there. It had no backing to where the 70% came from. Please do not take to heart.

Thank you and your team for all your hardwork!

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
        • jayne replied:

Pandamao,
          I understand where your remark came from, which originated from the desire to defend our writers. However, a certain reader apparently wished to use that to “further her argument” about her long-time complaints about our website. Anyway, had enough of these complaints. I will correct any editorial errors made, but just tired of those who use it as a convenient opportunity to put down the hard work of our writers every chance they get.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • HeTieShou replied:

I just skimmed the original source too and it is confusing and I can understand why the translator said series instead of movie. I had a good feeling that it would be a movie because I don’t think Dayo has the time in his schedule in the near future to be a series. Also, they mentioned Louis and all so that is another hint that it is most likely a movie since I do not think Louis will ever act in a series again.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • megamiaow replied:

I dont think it’s that confusing. If it’s a TVB series it would usually specify even in Chinese. Added to that the original planned cast only partake in films now.

I also was confused by this. It might seem a small mistake but it can change the whole take of people reading it. Anyway, Dayo in a movie…hm…maybe he’ll break the cycle this time.

Login or Register before you can reply to megamiaow
    2. Daisy says:

Im pretty sure its a movie no drama would only film for 1 month.. unless its one of those mini dramas..

Login or Register before you can reply to Daisy
    3. DramaAddict says:

I’d much rather watch Dayo Wong than Louis Koo.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    4. holidayNo.1 says:

seriously……….i am pretty sure that it would ok for them
      to movie film or it might be a drama….. i prefer to watch watch both of them dayo wong and louis koo

Login or Register before you can reply to holidayNo.1
    5. holidayNo.1 says:

i don’t think is a tv series of drama i think is a movie film is more like talking about filming movie not really a TVB film

Login or Register before you can reply to holidayNo.1
    6. m0m0 says:

i don’t think fala has any comedic skills in her acting. her actings is always overly exaggerated.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
      • MW replied:

Just skip it.

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
        • Xiaomei replied:

Agreed

Login or Register before you can reply to Xiaomei
    7. Aces_Abuevers08 says:

AIYA! SPL 2? (SHA PO LANG) GOSH! I CAN’T WAIT!:DD <3.

Login or Register before you can reply to Aces_Abuevers08
    8. Hannah says:

Ah, I see. Go figured. Louis doesn’t have time for other movies, so it’s unlikely it’s a series.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    9. aptos says:

Dayo is known as one of the comedy kings? He tends to use “sick” or “lame” jokes to get folks to laugh just like Stephen Chow. His jokes are not free flowing or natural but forced just like Johnson Lee, Gum Gong and a few others. I can think of others who are better just using with their facial expressions alone like Koo Ming Wah or Leung Ka Fai.

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
      • MW replied:

“Dayo Wong is known as one of the comedy kings?”

Agreed, maybe in Dayo Wong’s dreams? haha 🙂

Seems like they went from A-list (Louis Koo and Shu Qi) to F-list (Dayo Wong and Fala Chen).

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
        • corn replied:

lmao.I dont like either of them either much.

Login or Register before you can reply to corn
    10. Smartaleck says:

On the other hand, Louis’ schedule is extremely busy with three movies waiting for him, including Triumph in the Skies
      ———————————————–

Does this mean Fala is not gonna be in TITS movie? If she won’t be, I’m celebrating (:

Login or Register before you can reply to Smartaleck