JayneStars.com logo

“Big Wheel” is the Most Anticipated Drama of 2013

By on October 29, 2012

“Big Wheel” is the Most Anticipated Drama of 2013 thumbnail

The annual TVB Anniversary Awards is drawing near, and the sales presentation trailers for the upcoming 2013 drama line-up will also be released soon. The 2013 Program Presentation event will be held on November 8, and the trailers will hit TV screens on November 24.

In the past few months, TVB artists have been busy filming for the sales presentation clips.  Rosy Business 3 <巾幗梟雄3> has, by far, received the most attention from sponsors and the Hong Kong press. However, due to Myolie Wu’s (胡杏兒) “replacement” of Sheren Tang (鄧萃雯) as the main female lead in the franchise, many fans of Rosy Business have voiced out their disappointment, and some fans claimed that they have lost interest in the third installment.

The Hippocratic Crush 2 <On Call 36小時II> is also receiving a lot of attention, but the most anticipated drama of 2013 is actually Big Wheel <巨輪>, which stars Ruco Chan (陳展鵬), Edwin Siu (蕭正楠), and Linda Chung (鍾嘉欣). Fans noticed that the setting and story line of Big Wheel is very similar to the classic At the Threshold of an Era <創世紀>. Both Big Wheel and At the Threshold of an Era are cross-millennium dramas that allow for political and social commentary throughout the past decades in Hong Kong.

The following dramas will be included in the 2013 Program Presentation, which will air on TVB Jade on November 24:

Cousin, You are Good <老表,你好嘢> – featuring Roger Kwok, Joey Meng, Wong Cho Lam, Ivana Wong, Louis Cheung, Huang Kwong Leung

A Great Way to Care 2 <仁心解碼II> – featuring Alex Fong, Yoyo Mung, Tavia Yeung, Ben Wong, Ram Chiang, Aimee Chan, Edwin Siu

A Good Heart Goes Haywire <好心作怪> – featuring Michael Miu, Bosco Wong, Niki Chow, Joey Meng, Vincent Wong, Mandy Wong

Big Wheel <巨輪> – featuring Ruco Chan, Edwin Siu, Linda Chung, Louise Lee, Kristal Tin, Louis Yuen

Love Reverses Three Lifetimes of Fate <情逆三世緣> – featuring Bobby Au Yeung, Esther Kwan, Ben Wong, Ngo Ka Nin, Mandy Wong, JJ Jia, Rebecca Zhu

The Love Firm <傳愛事務所> – featuring Wayne Lai, Moses Chan, Christine Ng, Fala Chen, Elliot Ngok, Jason Chan

Sniper Attack 2013 <神槍狙擊2013> – featuring Eddie Kwan, Kathy Chow, Michael Tse, Kate Tsui

The Two Cities of Unrequited Love <單戀雙城> – featuring Aimee Chan, Lin Xiawei, Tony Hung

The Hippocratic Crush 2 <On Call 36小時II> – featuring Lawrence Ng, Kenneth Ma, Tavia Yeung, Him Law, Mandy Wong, Benjamin Yuen, Candy Chang, Eliza Sam

Rosy Business 3 <巾幗梟雄之諜血雌雄> – featuring Wayne Lai, Myolie Wu, Edwin Siu, Natalie Tong, Sire Ma

Food for the Slaves <食為奴> – featuring Raymond Lam, Ron Ng, Fala Chen, Sharon Chan, Nancy Wu

Cold Mountain, Hidden Dragon <寒山潛龍> – featuring Kenneth Ma, Raymond Wong, Aimee Chan, Priscilla Wong

Source: ihktv.com, Weibo.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , , , , , , ,

• [STYLE] 2013 TVB Anniversary Awards(65)
  • Wayne Lai and Myolie Wu Share Bed Scenes in "Rosy Business 3"(67)
  • [STYLE] TVB Star Awards Malaysia 2013(62)
  • Chilam Cheung and Linda Chung Win TV King and TV Queen at TVB Stars Awards Malaysia 2013(276)
  • 2013 TVB Anniversary Gala: Kenneth Ma and Kristal Tin Voted as TV King and TV Queen by Colleagues(293)
  • 2014 TVB Calendar(81)
  • 16 New Dramas Introduced at 2014 TVB Sales Presentation(135)
  • Rape Scenes to Be Cut from "Rosy Business 3" to Avoid Backlash(20)
  • Linda Chung Refuses to Dine with Wealthy Businessmen(177)
  • Top Ten Nominees for TVB Best Actor and Actress Leaked(219)

• Readers' Comments (94)

If Big Wheel really the most anticipated or this is pointless noise?

• gold4canada says:

I think most anticipated is an exaggeration.

• Puff says:

Totally agree!!! Seriously how can this be most anticipated? I’m really looking forward to TITS2, WAB2 and Hippocratic Crush 2…

• Nicole says:

Mistranslation. It just says “Audience are looking forward to Big Wheel”, and “quite a lot of audience are anticipating ‘Big Wheel’”, nothing about it being the most anticipated? Maybe just one of the most anticipated?

• fez says:

see, this is a clear example of how the media can falsely report things. “quite a lot of audience is anticipating Big Wheel.” Seriously what is a LOT? who wrote this article? Linda Chung fans? honestly, a petty 100 or so LC fans feeling excited about this drama does not mean its the MOST ANTICIPATED of the year. Look at it. Just another low budget series like she always does.

2. Nicole says:

So not looking forward to
      The Two Cities of Unrequited Love – featuring Aimee Chan, Lin Xiawei, Tony Hung
      And
      Cold Mountain, Hidden Dragon – featuring Kenneth Ma, Raymond Wong, Aimee Chan, Priscilla Wong

Who is Tony Hung?

• gold4canada says:

he was seen in the tvb lighting ceremony. hosts that show where they go into the war zones in middle east.

• Hannahh says:

haha me too @Nicole

• smile says:

wow…aimee’s a lead in the two cities of unrequited love? That’s going to be a hard one to watch and easy one to miss. :P

• Hannah says:

Couldn’t agree more! I was hoping that TVB would “drop” those two, but it’s not happening. -_-

Tony is a host. No series at all.

• star says:

1 mediocre supporting actress, 1 host and 1 who only acted in a sitcom leading the show. -.- Couldn’t imagine what it would turn out to be.

• Nicole says:

Although Xiawei’s not pretty, her acting’s pretty ok. Since she even went to acting school, her acting will most likely be better than Aimee’s. Hehe
          But if TVB really wants to promote her, they should put her in a series with leads who are able to anchor the show, instead of floundering around with Aimee Chan who can’t even save herself.

3. Hannahh says:

Not a lot of good series next year.

4. momo says:

haha, are you serious? i’d rather watch Cold Mountain, Hidden Dragon than this lols.

Only series im looking forward to are:
      The Hippocratic Crush 2 and Rosy Business 3

5. VFC says:

Only THC2, Haywire and Sniper Atttack catches my attention….don’t really have high hopes for TITS2 doubt it can surpass the first one. Never a fan of RB so could really care less if they replaced the female lead. Big Wheel seems promising as well.

6. purplepaw says:

i have a feeling kenneth will be outshined in THC since lawrence ng is going to be in it and hasn’t filmed with tvb in so long. if tvb was trying to promote kenneth more, it was a huge mistake to bring back lawrence at this time lol

• momo says:

I think Lawrence does well portraying villains than good guys. He was so convincing in The Grand Canal (大運河) and boring to watch in Healing Hands IMO :x

• purplepaw says:

i honestly don’t remember healing hands cause i was probably around 5 years old? LOL. but it seems like the older generations would really enjoy watching him since it’s been so long

• Nicole says:

I thought he was quite charming in Healing Hands. He has the smart, soft-spoken look.

• momo says:

I found Bowie’s character more interesting hehe

• skinnymocha says:

Gosh, I liked him in villainous roles too. Heck, even the sleazy type of characters he played in movies. He does have the look of an educated man with a white collar job, but I found Paul rather dull… I was never invested in the relationship between him and Jackie.

7. Skyler says:

Most anticipated series? Gotta be kidding right? Base on what?

8. momo says:

But other than Ruco and Linda, there is no big shots in the drama. Unlike At the Threshold of an Era, there are alot of popular actors and actresses.

9. Bubblez says:

I’m interested in watcching: big wheel, A Great way to Care 2, THC 2, WAB 2 and A Good Heart Goes Haywire

10. Kidd says:

My most anticipated series is ‘Cold Mountain, Hidden Dragon’ because it’s wuxia. :D

• Veejay says:

haha, kidd. I tot you will say because guys in CMHD dresses so girly hehe.. I kinda like KM and RW, so i will def watch it too :)

• Nicole says:

TVB sucks at wuxia now. Why not watch China wuxia series instead?

• Kidd says:

Because TVB series is in Cantonese. :D

and I don’t have problem with Aimee. :P

• Veejay says:

I find some Mainland Wuxia series to be too perfect to believe, like for eg. the girls in Mainland Wuxia are too perfect in looks like barbie dolls, pretty eyes, tall nose and oval white face and some of them look alike like clones sometimes LOL.. but their panaromic view is good though.

• Veejay says:

@Kidd,

You just remind me of aimee in CMHD, i think i will skip her part LOL..

• exoidus says:

LOL, isn’t perfect good? Anyway mainland wuxia except the one based on JY works is so draggy with a weak plot.

Only good point with TVB wuxia is like Kidd pointed out “cantonese” otherwise it looks like they are cosplaying to kill with laughter :D

• Nicole says:

The main problem with that CMHD series isn’t aimee, even though she and her cantonese is one of the problems, but that TVB wuxia series are badly produced and cheap now. Just laugh at their horrible costumes and girly hairstyles.

• Veejay says:

I remember one told me.. TVB’s old wuxia production are way better than the new ones cuz you can still princes/kings/etc riding real “horse” in the scene and you just can’t find any now!! and the soldiers just have to die and regain alive and die again just to populate the fighting scene..rofl.

• exoidus says:

Too expensive with a real horse TVB don’t want to pay the insurance fee so use CGI horses instead, LOL.

TVB is making sure the klfs are working hard for the money. Nonstop die, stand up, die again, stand up again…

Also no real fighting either just shooting out energy balls from their hands, LOL

• Kidd says:

The 90′s wuxia series have very fake props and few people too, but, they are still enjoyable. As long as the storyline is good, and there’s enough wuxia elements, I’m ok with it.

And I don’t really have problem with the costume and hairstyle except for Kenny’s hair. :)

I still have hope for TVB’s wuxia.

• Funn Lim says:

Like in 3 Kingdoms still using real horse. Horse is no problem. Sir Run Run Shaw can loan one. I just hope less CGI since CGI tech in TVB is still 100 years from the good ones.

• Funn Lim says:

“I still have hope for TVB’s wuxia.”

I hope for TVB’s wuxia, but not sure if still have hope. I still remember the evolution from dark make up with shiny clothes to ok make up and floaty clothes to less make up and ordinary clothes. So I wonder what’s the take now? Maybe glossy lipstick is still in, definitely a lot of fake lashes.

Yes I do want a TVB wuxia but a proper one, an adaptation. Did Gu long’s estate ban TVB? Why not Gu Long? Or all adapted? Then what about the comic series but less CGI and more kung fu? I think Jin Yong will even give blanket ban to China after Swordsman is out. So he is the lost cause. But I have good memories of DGSD, and the others except for Lawrence Ng’s CMK. That was traumatising.

• Veejay says:

just curious Funn, how is Lawrence Ng as CMK was traumatising? LOL. I guess you’re the only one to felt that LOL.. cuz I thought Lawrence being in Wuxia’s clothing and hairstyle looked weird.

• exoidus says:

TVB and good storyline doesn’t belong in the same sentence.

Huh, I thought Run Run Shaw sold his shares already? Anyway just use a donkey instead or perhaps show off their internal energy by running instead, LOL.

That must be the worst HSDS ever I mean Lawrence as CMK, Damien & Michelle as his parents (all of them way too old for their characters). I think JY banned TVB after watching this one and almost died of fire deviation, LOL

• Kidd says:

I have to admit I was a bit disappointed when I found out it’s not adapted from any book.

But, I think an original wuxia series can still be good. ‘Blade Heart’ was an original story. Although some people felt it’s too depressing, I still think it’s a good effort and good series.

The ATV wuxia classic ‘Reincarnated’ was also an original story. The series came first before the book.

TVB has been taking really big artistic liberties in their recent wuxia adaptations anyway (e.g. LWOLAP and The Four). Might as well make an original one.

• Veejay says:

*I guess you’re not the only one*

• skinnymocha says:

Reincarnated? That 70′s show with Yu On On? That – along with it’s sequel – were probably the first dramas I ever watched. I look back at old photographs of me as a child and I can spot that show on the TV screen in the background. :D

• momo says:

That’s my favorite wuxia of all time!!! Sequel Dragon Strikes is even better :D I had the hugest crush on the guy who played “wun fay yueng” lolols

• momo says:

whoops, forgot to quote…

• Kidd says:

I tried to watch ‘Reincarnated’. But, the first episode showed Wan Fei Yeung being bullied unfairly and it get my blood boil. So, I stop watching.

Maybe I will try it again later, since it’s such a classic and so many people like it.

• KK says:

“That must be the worst HSDS ever I mean Lawrence as CMK” (Quote)

Jin Yong was the one who chose Lawrence to act as Zhang Wuji and not TVB. TVB chose someone else originally. Not sure who it was though.

• HeTieShou says:

I agree that TVB has really fallen from the wuxia pedestal which is why I do not watch ancient series from TVB anymore.. I just watch china series for wuxia and ancient series.

I can’t believe that Jin Yong chose Lawrence for Zhang WuJi. What a big miscast…

• HeTieShou says:

The series for Reincarnated really came before the book?? I did not know that. I enjoyed it but did not like the beginning when Wan Fei Yeung was bullied. But we all know that he will arise sooner or later…

• Kidd says:

@ KK

“Jin Yong was the one who chose Lawrence to act as Zhang Wuji and not TVB.”

Wow, this is new news to me. I know Damien and Michelle are Jin Yong’s choice of Zhang Cui Shan and Yin Su Su. But, I didn’t know Lawrence is also JY’s choice.

@ HTS

“The series for Reincarnated really came before the book??”

Yes. It’s an original story created by ATV’s scriptwriters.

• Funn Lim says:

Just shows how much JY knows his own story and then blame TVB for screwing up. I will take this news with a pinch of salt.

• KK says:

It was in the newspapers back then. But I guess no one bothered to comment in the internet about past news.

• HeTieShou says:

Thanks for the info Kidd. Sad that many scriptwriters cannot come up with a great and original story anymore. Gu Long and many other wuxia writers have stories that have not been adapted yet but I guess TVB does not dare adapt those. They may make a mess out of them like what they did with JY’s novels so he banned them.

• KK says:

Shaw Brothers did a lot of Gu Long and Jin Yong movies back then.

TVB did Gu Long. But the last one by Felix was a flop.

11. hcfoo says:

Most anticipated because Ruco is the sexiest guy on jaynestars?

12. Ciara says:

wow, wth?? Most anticipated? I didn’t even notice … o_O..

13. exoidus says:

Where’s the GPS series with Ruco, Louise & Rebecca? That one will be my most anticipated series of 2013.

Not many series that im looking forward to really but the one that takes the cake must be “The Two Cities of Unrequited Love – featuring Aimee Chan, Lin Xiawei, Tony Hung” hahahaha…..

• Daisy says:

You mean Priscilla Wong? Rebecca isn’t in the series.

And I agree Aimee leading? And who the heck is Tony Hung? I rather they promote the more experienced actors like Fan Kan from 3K or Eric Li (he always plays the bad guy except Bottled Passion) or Matt yeung

14. sushiroll says:

Ruco is ageing like so badly. Time to slap on La mer…….

• 14802 says:

Actually TBB is ageing. Look at Tavia, kenneth, Ron in Silver Spoon, even LF in HAL, etc… But few in the younger generation look much promising. Cast of some so-called big productions are uncles and aunties.

What is Food for the Slaves about?

16. skinnymocha says:

I sort of want to see LF do comedy – has he done comedy before? His dramatic roles bore me quite a bit.

• star says:

Yes, in Love is… Pyjamas, but his screen time is quite short.

• VFC says:

He’s done a lot of comedy like Food For Life, he was the comic relief in that series. Same with his characters in Eternal Flower and Survivors Law

• star says:

Thanks for the information. :) Shall put Food for Life in my list of dramas to watch. Hopefully it’s still available now.

17. Tegan says:

I wonder if there’s any chance they’ll make new trailers (from footage they’ve already filmed) for TITS2 and WAB2? Never too early to create publicity for 2013′s grand productions.

18. AL says:

Support Mandy Wong:
      A Good Heart Goes Haywire – featuring Michael Miu, Bosco Wong, Niki Chow, Joey Meng, Vincent Wong, Mandy Wong

Love Reverses Three Lifetimes of Fate – featuring Bobby Au Yeung, Esther Kwan, Ben Wong, Ngo Ka Nin, Mandy Wong, JJ Jia, Rebecca Zhu

The Hippocratic Crush 2 – featuring Lawrence Ng, Kenneth Ma, Tavia Yeung, Him Law, Mandy Wong, Benjamin Yuen, Candy Chang, Eliza Sam

• Wilson says:

she’s really being groomed heavily this time huh. Should be the winner for most improved this year.

19. AC says:

I think my most anticipated series is Triumph in the Skies 2.

20. 9394 says:

I miss Sheren Tang on Rosy Business 3. I don’t see Myolie Wu’s do well in Iron Lady role.

21. starry says:

Food for the Slaves – featuring Raymond Lam, Ron Ng, Fala Chen, Sharon Chan, Nancy Wu

Looking forward to that. I NEEED a TOB redo with Ron and Nancy as endgame. Thanks TVB.

22. sandcherry says:

The Two Cities of Unrequited Love – featuring Aimee Chan, Lin Xiawei, Tony Hung
      ———————————————–
      Does anyone know who is “Tony Hung”?

23. rcc says:

Looking forward to all series of Ruco, like his acting. Big Wheel is anticipated cuz its story background is HK in the past decades. But my most anticipated remains TOT2.

24. Jerrijerri says:

What happen to the series ‘Detective Columbo’ starring Wayne Lai? Coz didn’t find it in the list.

25. chubbs says:

wat is rosy business 3 without shereen tang?

• karen:) says:

Agreed! i always thought RB was popular because of the onscreen chemistry between Wayne and Sheren

26. lol says:

if so ruco chan next year best actor i hope so or maybe this year

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: