JayneStars.com logo

Edwin Siu: The Fallen Has Prevailed

By on November 30, 2012

Edwin Siu: The Fallen Has Prevailed thumbnail

“How many decades do we have in a lifetime?” Chai Kau would ask in No Regrets <巾幗梟雄之義海豪情>. “The most important thing is to live a happy and satisfied life!”

This phrase would play repeatedly in Edwin Siu’s (蕭正楠) mind. Having just gone through his tenth anniversary in the entertainment industry last August, Edwin can now finally understand what it means to live a life of happiness, satisfaction, and with no regrets.

“The Good Will Always Prevail”

Edwin debuted as an idol singer under Music Nation in 2002, and his debut album, Born to Fly, was very successful. Avid Cantopop lovers may in fact remember 2002 to be the “Year of the Newcomers,” in which Edwin, Juno Mak (麥浚龍), and Shawn Yue (余文樂) debuted. The “Best New Singer” honor was among the most competitive and highly anticipated award category at music award ceremonies that year. The fan bases of Edwin, Juno, and Shawn were at each other toe-to-toe, and it took quite a long time for the judges to come up with the ultimate winner for the award. In the end, Edwin defeated Juno and Shawn by winning Gold at the JSG Best Ten Music Awards – Juno won Silver, while Anson Hu (胡彥斌) won Bronze.

But Edwin’s glory did not last for long. In the afterparty of the JSG award ceremony, a paparazzi reporter overheard Edwin saying the phrase, “The Good will always prevail,” to his colleagues. The next day, the reporter took the phrase out of context and claimed that his phrase was meant to be directed towards Juno, Edwin’s strongest opponent. The article alleged that Edwin saw Juno as the devil, and believed that his loss was well-deserved.

The report angered Juno’s fans, Juno’s label, Edwin’s own label, and the Cantopop industry in general.

A year later, Edwin was forced to leave Hong Kong to start his career anew in Beijing. Edwin filmed several mainland Chinese dramas, and although he was billed as the first male lead in most of them, his dramas were not well-received by the mainland Chinese public. In 2008, Edwin returned to Hong Kong, joined TVB, and started from scratch. Edwin’s first drama with TVB since his return was in 2008’s When Easterly Showers Fall on the Sunny West <東山飄雨西關晴>, which starred Liza Wang (汪明荃), Charmaine Sheh (佘詩曼), and Joe Ma (馬德鐘).

Thinking back to his first few years in the industry, Edwin admitted that he was very outspoken and frank. However, he did not regret any of his unreserved actions. “Life is like a finished screenplay. If it is destined to come at you, it will come. Even if I didn’t say that phrase, I would probably still meet the same fate. I am actually thankful for these unfortunate experiences, which taught me to cherish all the things I have now. I am much more practical and independent compared to what I was ten years ago, because all the things I have earned now is through my own hard work. Back then, my music label spent a lot of resources to promote me. It was my company who gave me my success, not me.”

The Next Big Actor?

Edwin never thought he would end up as an actor. When he first debuted, his sole concentration was to do well in the music industry. “I didn’t know when I started to like acting,” said Edwin. “I originally joined TVB because I really needed a job.”

After working as a supporting actor in TVB for four years, Edwin finally managed to snag a position in the spotlight this year. Edwin’s popularity in the television market shot up in the past few months, and he is currently on the same popularity league with other 2012 rising stars, such as Mandy Wong (黃智雯), Oscar Leung (梁烈唯), Koo Ming Wah (古明華), and Eliza Sam (岑麗香). Edwin’s 2012 dramas have all made it to the annual Top 10 Highest-Rated Dramas list. Edwin is also a hot favorite to win this year’s Most Improved Actor award and Best Supporting Actor award.

“There is no one in the world who doesn’t want to win an award,” said Edwin. “However, I will not keep my hopes up too high. No matter the results, I will still be happy. If I do have a chance to be on the stage, I will thank my ex-boss, Lee Jun, and my ex-manager. They provided me with such a great starting point to my career. I may have fallen down halfway, but it was not their fault.”

It’s Never Too Late

Would Edwin regret that he has lost ten years of his youth? The 35-year-old Edwin did not believe that age should be a limiting factor. “We’re in a different generation now. People are living longer and healthier. The transition to adulthood is being pushed back farther and farther.  In the past, a person may reach middle age when they turn 30 years old, but now, it’s 40 or 45 years old. Take Michael Miu (苗僑偉) for example. He is much more charismatic and energetic than many younger actors today.”

When it comes to work, Edwin is full of hope and anticipation. But when it comes to dating, Edwin shakes his head. “I can’t say that I’m afraid of dating, but at this moment, I really don’t think dating is suitable for me. TVB siu sangs like Raymond Lam (林峯) and Bosco Wong (黃宗澤) place their careers in top priority. None of them focus primarily on dating. I have to work even harder at my age. I need to put all my energy and focus on my career.”

Indeed. Good opportunities do not come knocking on the door every day. Edwin has fallen once, and he cannot afford to fall again.

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: ,

• Edwin Siu and Raymond Cho Portray Homosexual Couple in “The Five Eunuchs”(22)
  • “The Confidant" Ending Leaves Questions Unanswered(40)
  • Edwin Siu and Him Law are Satisfied with Careers(9)
  • Ending Spoilers for "The Confidant" Revealed(28)
  • Wayne Lai Asks Audiences to Stop Nitpicking "The Confidant"(74)
  • Funn's Thoughts: The Eunuchs of "The Confidant"(51)
  • Edwin Siu's Income Soars Past $5.57 Million(28)
  • Ruco Chan and Edwin Siu Dismiss Jealousy Over Money(45)
  • Edwin Siu and Kristal Tin’s Bad Impressions of Each Other(4)
  • "Across Heaven and Earth" Trailer Reveals Lack of Originality(65)

• Readers' Comments (28)

Juno Mak? Seriously, Juno Mak? Isn’t he the one dependent on his daddy? Have no fear Edwin.

2. shadowrain604 says:

Well that was kinda lame. His comment wasn’t even a big deal imo. Not like he had a sex scandal or was criticizing anyone, don’t think it was fair for his career to be screwed over like that. But I’m glad he’s doing well now, he seems like a solid actor and quite likeable. Just wondering, is he more popular in the Mainland or HK right now? I always thought he was more popular in the mainland…

• Funn Lim says:

I suppose he made the mistake of saying anything supposedly negative about the guy with a father who has the money to buy the music industry and probably did, all for his son.

• Kidd says:

You don’t need to make negative remarks about a guy with powerful father to have your career destroyed. You just need to make a remark that the public felt is bad. This was how Choi Fung Wah’s career get destroyed. Choi Fung Wah said ‘a moments glory is his eternal’ when Leslie Cheung won a singing award. Many were angry at his ungracious remark and his music career nose-dived.

• Funn Lim says:

True. But not in Juno’s case. He ain’t even 1 millions miles near Leslie’s talent.

• Josie says:

But ken choi is a crazy weirdo anyway.

3. P. Tan says:

I really like him and hope he continues to do well in filmland.

4. sandcherry says:

Edwin Siu was one of the good looking singers in his generation.

5. Kidd says:

It’s all for good. 10 years ago, Edwin’s acting was pretty weak. Just check out Aqua Heroes. He has improved very much now and deserve the recognition. Maybe his stint in Mainland helps him.

• advo says:

Kidd, but that was his debut series or something wasn’t it? Surely, he’s bound to improve in 10 years no matter what? His progress has just not been seen in HK, because his shows never made it that far. That said, staying in TVB just stunts your acting, so I agree that Mainland acting might have been better for him.

• Heather says:

Ron’s in the industry for about a decade and he did not improve at all.

• Cara says:

@advo – Ron’s a funny case cuz I think he actually DEproved. I thought he acted his best in TITS and was decent in Twin of Brothers. Then everything just went downhill from there.

6. simplitee says:

Oh i love Edwin!! I hope he receives the Most Improved this year.

7. Ric says:

It just makes his success now all the more sweeter. Hard work always pays off.

8. subtleness says:

–“There is no one in the world who doesn’t want to win an award,” said Edwin.–

agree cus i don’t buy other actors saying they don’t want the award, aren’t motivated blabla….

9. ebbie says:

Wow!!! I didnt know his history… interesting… all the best!

10. advo says:

I think Edwin have done quite well, but I still haven’t seen any role with a particular breakthrough – maybe because I’ve boycotted all TVB shows this year. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I do believe Edwin is one of the people to watch. TVB seems to favour him now.

• AC says:

Are you talking about series that Edwin is in? There’s Daddy Good Deeds if you like the happy family type of series and I’m really loving The Confidant even though Edwin doesn’t really shine in that to me.

11. Hannah says:

Chai Kau is from RB, and Lau Sing is from NR.

A lot of news about Edwin lately. Seems like he might win something at the ceremony,

12. Anonymous says:

I like him So much! He certainly deserves an award and more shows with him starring as male lead… support Edwin!

13. opium says:

The first time i ever saw him was in DIE where he acted as a person with 2 different personalities. I loved him from that time because i was like, geeezzzz he was Hot! :P

14. Michelle says:

The beginning dialogue of Chai Kau in this article is from the series “Rosy Business” and not “No Regrets” as mentioned by Jayne.

15. Kumi says:

I like his acting and hope he will get an award soon – he acts well both as a goodie or a baddie.

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: