Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye’s “Legend of the Purple Hairpin” Commences Filming

By on October 17, 2012 in NEWS, TV Dramas

Produced by Michelle Ye (葉璇), Chinese period television drama, Legend of the Purple Hairpin <紫钗奇缘> recently commenced filming in Hengdian World Studios. Starring Michelle Ye as Huo Xiaoyu, Raymond Lam (林峯) as the “Yellow-Clothed One” Nalan Dong, and Michelle Chen (陳妍希) as Lu Jinglan, Legend of the Purple Hairpin is a loose adaptation of the popular traditional opera, The Purple Hairpin <紫釵記>, written by Ming dynasty playwright, Tang Xianzu (湯顯祖).

Although it has been ten years since Michelle and Raymond have last worked together, their powerful onscreen chemistry has continued to charm their fans even to this day.

When deciding the cast for the drama, Raymond was the first person Michelle considered for the role of Nalan Dong, the drama’s lead male character. She admitted, “Raymond has a very noble look when it comes to costume dramas. He is very casual yet elegant, and very skillful. He absolutely suits the lovesick nature of Nalan Dong. He is my very first choice for the role.”

“An opportunity like this is very rare,” said Raymond. “Because we both have very busy work schedules, we could never have a chance to work together. I will cherish this opportunity.”

Elaine Jin (金燕玲), Kingdom Yuen (苑瓊丹), Zheng Yitong (郑亦桐), and Zhang Tianqi (张天其) will also star in the drama.

However, an actor for Legend of the Purple Hairpin’s other male lead, Li Yi, has not been decided yet.

Legend of the Purple Hairpin takes place during the prosperous Tang Dynasty, and will focus its story on the romantic fate of four characters – dancer Huo Xiaoyu, the heroic “yellow-clothed one” Nalan Dong, the scholar Li Yi, and the brave Lu Jinglan. Ka Wai Nam (賈偉南), the scriptwriter for 1984’s The Duke of Mount Deer <鹿鼎記> and 2009’s Beyond the Realm of Conscience <宮心計>, will helm the script.

The drama will incorporate elements of martial arts action and dance. The production company has also put aside a large budget to invest on the drama’s light-weighted and extravagant Tang costumes. Three different dance stages were especially built for the drama’s large-scale action scenes.

Besides Hengdian World Studios, Legend of the Purple Hairpin will also film in Xian.

Source: QQ.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

87 comments to Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye’s “Legend of the Purple Hairpin” Commences Filming

1. starry says:

she looks stunning

Login or Register before you can reply to starry
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yes, she does but the costume looks a bit too modern.

2. AL says:

Support you…Raymond…I wonder how can i watch those drama that film in China while i am in US…

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
    • Hannahh replied:

download it

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
  3. Hannah says:

I like her costume. Michelle has dancing background, so the dancing part shouldn’t be hard. Now, who will be playing the other male lead? Hmm…

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    • AL replied:

Raymond Lam…i think..

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
  4. Anna says:

Thanks for this! I thought Benny Chan was going to be in this series and probably would be playing Li Yi…was that false news or did he drop out?

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna

False news. He might act as a guest in this but not Li Yi

• Anna replied:

Thanks Fox!

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna
  5. RLF Lover says:

Can’t believe I’d actually waited 10 years to see them collaborate again!

Login or Register before you can reply to RLF Lover
    • Kelly replied:

me too!

Login or Register before you can reply to Kelly
  6. Gar says:

They look great together! Looking forward to this!

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar

She looks pretty! Costumes look ok from 1st picture.

• Funn Lim replied:

Hengdian World Studios must be one very very busy and fully booked place.

• HeTieShou replied:

I know and I really how big it is?? I am guessing that it is bigger than TVB’s ancient city studio.

• HeTieShou replied:

Ok just looked up the info about Heng Dian studios. Wow, very nice and impressive. I hope it continues to expand.

• Funn Lim replied:

It is probably 10 times the size of TVB.

• HeTieShou replied:

Yea, and I was just looking at the photos of it the other day. Wow, very nice!! It is like its own little world. It is great that they allow people to tour it as well. It will just keep on expanding and really hope that will have more and more beautiful sets and scenery for all to use and enjoy.

• Fox replied:

In the picture where showing the full clothes, the clothes dun look that ok :P. A bit ugly in fact. Very China style.

• Funn Lim replied:

Link please!

• Funn Lim replied:

By the way it IS a china series of a China era. So definitely it must look chinese. Can;’t expect Raymond running around in leotards.

• Fox replied:

Not that Chinese era feel, I mean the clothes look like in Chinese series.

Link, wait tomorrow. I’m going to watch HAL now so lazy to find.

• Fox replied:

My download hasn’t finished so here you are:

Very colorful.

• Funn Lim replied:

I find the costume too modern.

• HeTieShou replied:

Thanks for the link Fox! Yes, the costume in those particular photos do look too modern. I hope there will be others that are better. I really loved the costumes for BXJ 2007. Those were nice and had an ancient feel to them.

• Hannah replied:

Costumes are ehhh

I guess Michelle wanted to reunite with Siu Wah. Hahaha

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
      • HeTieShou replied:

If they really put aside a big budget for the costumes as mentioned above, then I really hope they will have better ones then the ones in those photos.

• Kidd replied:

Wow, the neckline of Michelle’s dress sure is low. Did she hire the costume maker of ‘Curse of the Golden Flower’?

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Lee replied:

I disagree… bigger studios like Tangren allot plenty of money for good quality clothes. I’m guessing Michelle Ye didn’t want to sink too much money into the production budget for this one.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lee
      • Fox replied:

Or it’s simply the taste of whoever made these clothes.

8. ALovesFung says:

Congrats to LF for getting another great role, especially costarring with Michelle again. Can’t wait to see their sparks fly in this series! LF Love Fung!

Login or Register before you can reply to ALovesFung
    • AL replied:

same here…LOVE Raymond (LF)

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
    • Fox replied:

Personally, I dun find the role Na Lan Dong is that great :P.

• kcabc replied:

Hope the actual script will be much better from what I read so far.

Login or Register before you can reply to kcabc
      • AL replied:

I don’t know the story of this drama, but at least Raymond is playing the lead male character. It may get him to more movie/drama in China. So, he can be more popular and to the next level of success!

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
      • Fox replied:

Of course he’ll play lead male character. Among all of his 3 China series (including this one), he has never played second lead :P. Most of Txb artists play second lead or supporting in their first China series but it didn’t happen to LF. He is already main lead in New breath of love in 2006.

• AL replied:

what other two China series did Fung filmed? i will try to see in here…thx

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
      • Fox replied:

New breath of love and Ad Mania.

• AL replied:

thx to Fox… i saw “New breath of love” and will look for “Ad Mania” :)

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
      • Fox replied:

Ad Mania hasn’t been aired yet. Actually only 2 first eps were aired but then the series was postponed.

• HeTieShou replied:

The story is the most important aspect to any series.

• AC replied:

Fox- Do you know if they’re ever going to air it? or at least release it anywhere?

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
      • Fox replied:

Ad mania? its has 26 eps so they are finding a suitable channels for it. I dunno why they made it that bad number of eps. Cant break to 3 eps per nite

• AC replied:

only 26 episodes? I thought I heard that it was 80 episodes total that they were going to split up into either 2 or 3 “seasons”.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
      • Fox replied:

Season 1 has 26 eps and total of 86 eps. But season 1 hasn’t been aired so can’t continue season 2 and 3.

9. kcabc says:

Hate the hat. He will look much better without it. Michelle must love color, all the costumes so colorful :)

Login or Register before you can reply to kcabc
    • Fox replied:

Everybody hate this hat, lolz.

I think the hat is ok…

10. sky says:

it’s cheap to open a production company? seem like most actors opening them..

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  11. Munkimui says:

I recently learned about Nalan from a lecture on TV by a college professor. He has a tragic life. Lets see if this drama is in great detail as the lecture. I havent even finish watching their first drama together with tavia. Dont even have the time:/

Login or Register before you can reply to Munkimui
  12. HeTieShou says:

Is Tammy Chen Yi Rong going to be in here??? I hope so..

• Hannah replied:

She is.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
      • HeTieShou replied:

She is?? I did not see any mention of her above do was not if she was going to be in it for sure or not.

• Anna replied:

Here’s a pic of the cast

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna
      • clamine replied:

The costumes look terrible and inferior.

Login or Register before you can reply to clamine
      • star replied:

Agree, the materials look cheap. Michelle’s and the other lady’s costume look quite revealing for that era or are they acting as dancers?

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • Fox replied:

Tang dynasty is that revealing.

Tammy is in this one, one of 4 main chacs, wife of Li Yi, love Na Lan Dong.

• HeTieShou replied:

Thanks for the pix and info but yea, the costumes are a bit revealing and modern looking. I think the costumes for Lost in The Chamber of Love was a lot better.

• DC replied:

How about this one? This one looks better.

Login or Register before you can reply to DC
      • HeTieShou replied:

Thanks for the photo DC! Yea, that costume is better. I really hope that the other ones will be good too.

13. Hannahh says:

Oh looking forward to it. Love Michelle n Raymond as onscreen couple.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
  14. sandcherry says:

I don’t like the costumes either. They look too modern and perhaps cheap to me (as per photos found on the link).

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  15. Roxy says:

“Legend of the purple hairpin” doesnt look interesting. The casts are unappealing, except LF.

Login or Register before you can reply to Roxy
    • HeTieShou replied:

As the saying goes, please do not judge a book by its cover. You should always watch a series for more than just the cast. The series just started filming and here you are, criticizing it and not giving it a chance. Remember that there is more to a series than just the cast.

• Roxy replied:

I only judge a book by its movie. JK! Anyways, that’s your opinion and I respect that. I have my own opinions too. I only watch a series if I like the cast.

Login or Register before you can reply to Roxy
      • HeTieShou replied:

Not sure if I call it an opinion but is more of a tendency. I have seen do many viewers/ fans just blindly going for the cast or their favorites just to whine and complain about how bad a series is after watching it. However, they still continue to do so. I admit that having my favorites in a series is a big plus but that should not mean that the cast is the only thing in a series. I am sure that many would agree with me that the story/plot line is the most important or one of the most important things in any series.

• Fox replied:

Haha, don’t judge the book by its movie was the most funny comment I’ve seen when ppl talk about Twilight.

For Txb series now, I feel bad but I have nothing else to watch but the cast :D. Because their plots are getting pretty lame.

• HeTieShou replied:

Oh yea, that comment is really funny. I can’t believe that I missed it before.

• Veejay replied:

@HTS,

I agree with your saying but ppl tends to forget this phrase often when they see the casts they like.. ppl often get carried away when they see the casts they like and dislike.. for example, if I see poster of Aimee being female lead, I don’t think i’ll be interested to watch her series at all.. despite how good the storyplot is.

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
      • Fox replied:

Go to 9gag and there are many troll pix with similar quotes like this :D.

@Veejay,
        I know what you mean I do admit that I sort of do that at times too. However, I have learned to go beyond just the cast. Like many, I used to go just for the cast in the past too but then I realized how bad many of the series are. Therefore, I have decided to look at other aspects of a series,especially these days since they keep on remaking the same old story over and over again… it gets sooo redundant.

16. sandcherry says:

Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye looked good in the above photo as a couple in this drama series.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  17. Skyler says:

Thanks y’all for providing pix and info about the series. Both RL and MY look great in the pix. Hope there will more news about this couple.

Login or Register before you can reply to Skyler
  18. Grace says:

After the 3 Kingdoms i’m scared… what if this comes from another lousy script?
    Anyway LF headpiece looks nice!

Login or Register before you can reply to Grace
    • HeTieShou replied:

Just give it a chance. I guess it is good to have lower expectations rather than high expectations just to get disappointed.

19. ALovesFung says:

Raymond will be awesome in any role, it is the script that makes him look bad. But the love and support from his Honey never ceases! LF Love Fung!

Login or Register before you can reply to ALovesFung
    • AL replied:

agree…support Fung…don’t forget to vote him for TV King when the time come.thx

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
    • HeTieShou replied:

Not necessarily because I think some roles are suited for some then others. This is not aiming at Raymond but just speaking in general..

20. E says:

Michelle looks amazing!! Raymond looks odd…kinda modern.

When is it gonna air??

Login or Register before you can reply to E
    • DC replied:

Still filming… don’t know yet.

Login or Register before you can reply to DC
    • HeTieShou replied:

They just had a blessing ceremony and will or have just started filming and some are wondering when it will air. I guess many are just too anxious to watch this. I hope they take their time and allow the artists to rest unlike TVB which I think they do.

• Fox replied:

They started filming rite after the blessing ceremony, means 4 days already. The filming schedule is quite tight.

• HeTieShou replied:

Thanks Fox! Do you know how many episodes this will be and how long they are planning to film for? I remember how tight filming for BXJ was back then. They had to film 30 eps in about 2 and half to almost 3 months. That is pretty tight. I hope Ray and Michelle will ignite the sparks again and be able so work together again in the future.

• E replied:

Do rest, I want a good drama not a rush one.

Miss Lofty Water :(

Login or Register before you can reply to E
      • yxm replied:

@HeTieShou: if i remember correctly, it’s 20 episodes and they will film for 2 months. Not sure how long each episode will last though. Seems a bit short!

Login or Register before you can reply to yxm
  21. Yuyu says:

Why would any man be described as elegant? There are tons of better words. Is Michelle trying to make fun of Raymond? Or is Raymond androgynous?

Login or Register before you can reply to Yuyu
  22. LAM says:

raymond should act more in china because china population more than 1.3 billion. hong kong just 7million tiny. LF will be more richer. LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to LAM