JayneStars.com logo

Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye’s “Legend of the Purple Hairpin” Commences Filming

By on October 17, 2012

Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye’s “Legend of the Purple Hairpin” Commences Filming thumbnail

Produced by Michelle Ye (葉璇), Chinese period television drama, Legend of the Purple Hairpin <紫钗奇缘> recently commenced filming in Hengdian World Studios. Starring Michelle Ye as Huo Xiaoyu, Raymond Lam (林峯) as the “Yellow-Clothed One” Nalan Dong, and Michelle Chen (陳妍希) as Lu Jinglan, Legend of the Purple Hairpin is a loose adaptation of the popular traditional opera, The Purple Hairpin <紫釵記>, written by Ming dynasty playwright, Tang Xianzu (湯顯祖).

Although it has been ten years since Michelle and Raymond have last worked together, their powerful onscreen chemistry has continued to charm their fans even to this day.

When deciding the cast for the drama, Raymond was the first person Michelle considered for the role of Nalan Dong, the drama’s lead male character. She admitted, “Raymond has a very noble look when it comes to costume dramas. He is very casual yet elegant, and very skillful. He absolutely suits the lovesick nature of Nalan Dong. He is my very first choice for the role.”

“An opportunity like this is very rare,” said Raymond. “Because we both have very busy work schedules, we could never have a chance to work together. I will cherish this opportunity.”

Elaine Jin (金燕玲), Kingdom Yuen (苑瓊丹), Zheng Yitong (郑亦桐), and Zhang Tianqi (张天其) will also star in the drama.

However, an actor for Legend of the Purple Hairpin’s other male lead, Li Yi, has not been decided yet.

Legend of the Purple Hairpin takes place during the prosperous Tang Dynasty, and will focus its story on the romantic fate of four characters – dancer Huo Xiaoyu, the heroic “yellow-clothed one” Nalan Dong, the scholar Li Yi, and the brave Lu Jinglan. Ka Wai Nam (賈偉南), the scriptwriter for 1984’s The Duke of Mount Deer <鹿鼎記> and 2009’s Beyond the Realm of Conscience <宮心計>, will helm the script.

The drama will incorporate elements of martial arts action and dance. The production company has also put aside a large budget to invest on the drama’s light-weighted and extravagant Tang costumes. Three different dance stages were especially built for the drama’s large-scale action scenes.

Besides Hengdian World Studios, Legend of the Purple Hairpin will also film in Xian.

Source: QQ.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , , , ,

• Raymond Lam is Blindly in Love with Michelle Ye(62)
  • Raymond Lam Services Michelle Ye on "Legend of the Purple Hairpin" Set(46)
  • Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye’s “Loved in the Purple” to Air on TVB Overseas Channels(36)
  • Raymond Lam Does Not Plan to Renew Contract With TVB?(197)
  • Michelle Ye Cozies Up to Raymond Lam on Filming Set(32)
  • Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye to Work Together Again!(92)
  • "Loved in the Purple" Synopsis(60)
  • Michelle Ye Clarifies Relationship with Raymond Lam(17)
  • Rain Li to Reunite Onscreen With Raymond Lam?(26)
  • Raymond Lam Loses $100,000 at His Concert(44)

• Readers' Comments (87)

1. starry says:

she looks stunning

2. AL says:

Support you…Raymond…I wonder how can i watch those drama that film in China while i am in US…

3. Hannah says:

I like her costume. Michelle has dancing background, so the dancing part shouldn’t be hard. Now, who will be playing the other male lead? Hmm…

4. Anna says:

Thanks for this! I thought Benny Chan was going to be in this series and probably would be playing Li Yi…was that false news or did he drop out?

5. RLF Lover says:

Can’t believe I’d actually waited 10 years to see them collaborate again!

6. Gar says:

They look great together! Looking forward to this!

She looks pretty! Costumes look ok from 1st picture.

• Funn Lim says:

Hengdian World Studios must be one very very busy and fully booked place.

• HeTieShou says:

I know and I really how big it is?? I am guessing that it is bigger than TVB’s ancient city studio.

• HeTieShou says:

Ok just looked up the info about Heng Dian studios. Wow, very nice and impressive. I hope it continues to expand.

• Funn Lim says:

It is probably 10 times the size of TVB.

• HeTieShou says:

Yea, and I was just looking at the photos of it the other day. Wow, very nice!! It is like its own little world. It is great that they allow people to tour it as well. It will just keep on expanding and really hope that will have more and more beautiful sets and scenery for all to use and enjoy.

• Fox says:

In the picture where showing the full clothes, the clothes dun look that ok :P. A bit ugly in fact. Very China style.

8. ALovesFung says:

Congrats to LF for getting another great role, especially costarring with Michelle again. Can’t wait to see their sparks fly in this series! LF Love Fung!

• AL says:

same here…LOVE Raymond (LF)

• Fox says:

Personally, I dun find the role Na Lan Dong is that great :P.

• kcabc says:

Hope the actual script will be much better from what I read so far.

• AL says:

I don’t know the story of this drama, but at least Raymond is playing the lead male character. It may get him to more movie/drama in China. So, he can be more popular and to the next level of success!

• Fox says:

Of course he’ll play lead male character. Among all of his 3 China series (including this one), he has never played second lead :P. Most of Txb artists play second lead or supporting in their first China series but it didn’t happen to LF. He is already main lead in New breath of love in 2006.

• AL says:

what other two China series did Fung filmed? i will try to see in here…thx

• Fox says:

New breath of love and Ad Mania.

• AL says:

thx to Fox… i saw “New breath of love” and will look for “Ad Mania” :)

• Fox says:

Ad Mania hasn’t been aired yet. Actually only 2 first eps were aired but then the series was postponed.

• HeTieShou says:

The story is the most important aspect to any series.

• AC says:

Fox- Do you know if they’re ever going to air it? or at least release it anywhere?

• Fox says:

Ad mania? its has 26 eps so they are finding a suitable channels for it. I dunno why they made it that bad number of eps. Cant break to 3 eps per nite

• AC says:

only 26 episodes? I thought I heard that it was 80 episodes total that they were going to split up into either 2 or 3 “seasons”.

• Fox says:

Season 1 has 26 eps and total of 86 eps. But season 1 hasn’t been aired so can’t continue season 2 and 3.

9. kcabc says:

Hate the hat. He will look much better without it. Michelle must love color, all the costumes so colorful :)

10. sky says:

it’s cheap to open a production company? seem like most actors opening them..

11. Munkimui says:

I recently learned about Nalan from a lecture on TV by a college professor. He has a tragic life. Lets see if this drama is in great detail as the lecture. I havent even finish watching their first drama together with tavia. Dont even have the time:/

12. HeTieShou says:

Is Tammy Chen Yi Rong going to be in here??? I hope so..

13. Hannahh says:

Oh looking forward to it. Love Michelle n Raymond as onscreen couple.

14. sandcherry says:

I don’t like the costumes either. They look too modern and perhaps cheap to me (as per photos found on the link).

15. Roxy says:

“Legend of the purple hairpin” doesnt look interesting. The casts are unappealing, except LF.

• HeTieShou says:

As the saying goes, please do not judge a book by its cover. You should always watch a series for more than just the cast. The series just started filming and here you are, criticizing it and not giving it a chance. Remember that there is more to a series than just the cast.

• Roxy says:

I only judge a book by its movie. JK! Anyways, that’s your opinion and I respect that. I have my own opinions too. I only watch a series if I like the cast.

• HeTieShou says:

Not sure if I call it an opinion but is more of a tendency. I have seen do many viewers/ fans just blindly going for the cast or their favorites just to whine and complain about how bad a series is after watching it. However, they still continue to do so. I admit that having my favorites in a series is a big plus but that should not mean that the cast is the only thing in a series. I am sure that many would agree with me that the story/plot line is the most important or one of the most important things in any series.

• Fox says:

Haha, don’t judge the book by its movie was the most funny comment I’ve seen when ppl talk about Twilight.

For Txb series now, I feel bad but I have nothing else to watch but the cast :D. Because their plots are getting pretty lame.

• HeTieShou says:

Oh yea, that comment is really funny. I can’t believe that I missed it before.

• Veejay says:

@HTS,

I agree with your saying but ppl tends to forget this phrase often when they see the casts they like.. ppl often get carried away when they see the casts they like and dislike.. for example, if I see poster of Aimee being female lead, I don’t think i’ll be interested to watch her series at all.. despite how good the storyplot is.

• Fox says:

Go to 9gag and there are many troll pix with similar quotes like this :D.

@Veejay,
          I know what you mean I do admit that I sort of do that at times too. However, I have learned to go beyond just the cast. Like many, I used to go just for the cast in the past too but then I realized how bad many of the series are. Therefore, I have decided to look at other aspects of a series,especially these days since they keep on remaking the same old story over and over again… it gets sooo redundant.

16. sandcherry says:

Raymond Lam and Michelle Ye looked good in the above photo as a couple in this drama series.

17. Skyler says:

Thanks y’all for providing pix and info about the series. Both RL and MY look great in the pix. Hope there will more news about this couple.

18. Grace says:

After the 3 Kingdoms i’m scared… what if this comes from another lousy script?
      Anyway LF headpiece looks nice!

• HeTieShou says:

Just give it a chance. I guess it is good to have lower expectations rather than high expectations just to get disappointed.

19. ALovesFung says:

Raymond will be awesome in any role, it is the script that makes him look bad. But the love and support from his Honey never ceases! LF Love Fung!

• AL says:

agree…support Fung…don’t forget to vote him for TV King when the time come.thx

• HeTieShou says:

Not necessarily because I think some roles are suited for some then others. This is not aiming at Raymond but just speaking in general..

20. E says:

Michelle looks amazing!! Raymond looks odd…kinda modern.

When is it gonna air??

• DC says:

Still filming… don’t know yet.

• HeTieShou says:

They just had a blessing ceremony and will or have just started filming and some are wondering when it will air. I guess many are just too anxious to watch this. I hope they take their time and allow the artists to rest unlike TVB which I think they do.

• Fox says:

They started filming rite after the blessing ceremony, means 4 days already. The filming schedule is quite tight.

• HeTieShou says:

Thanks Fox! Do you know how many episodes this will be and how long they are planning to film for? I remember how tight filming for BXJ was back then. They had to film 30 eps in about 2 and half to almost 3 months. That is pretty tight. I hope Ray and Michelle will ignite the sparks again and be able so work together again in the future.

• E says:

Do rest, I want a good drama not a rush one.

Miss Lofty Water :(

• yxm says:

@HeTieShou: if i remember correctly, it’s 20 episodes and they will film for 2 months. Not sure how long each episode will last though. Seems a bit short!

21. Yuyu says:

Why would any man be described as elegant? There are tons of better words. Is Michelle trying to make fun of Raymond? Or is Raymond androgynous?

22. LAM says:

raymond should act more in china because china population more than 1.3 billion. hong kong just 7million tiny. LF will be more richer. LOL

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• JayneStars News Subscription

Never miss any of JayneStars' hottest entertainment news!

Enter your email address: