Who Will Be 2019’s TV Queen? Here’s a Look of Possible Nominees
There is still three months left before TVB is to hold its annual TVB Anniversary Awards, a celebration for television programs that have aired throughout the year. TVB hasn’t announced the nominees yet, but one thing we can all learn from previous years is that it isn’t hard to predict who will be among that list.
1) Koni Lui (呂慧儀) from Lo and Behold <愛 · 回家之開心速遞>
The Come Home Love sitcom series is among one of TVB’s most successful recent original programs, and Lo and Behold has been one of its more consistent spin-offs with a loyal audience. Its lead star Koni Lui will definitely be nominated, but it is difficult for sitcom actresses to win.
2) Annie Liu (劉心悠) from Guardian Angel <守護神之保險調查>
Guardian Angel is not an original TVB program, and neither is Annie Liu a TVB managed artiste. Regardless, the Shaw Brothers’ original series had failed to make a long-lasting impression, so it is unlikely that Annie would make it as top five.
3) Kate Tsui (徐子珊) from Guardian Angel
Guardian Angel was largely regarded as Kate’s comeback to Hong Kong television. No longer a TVB managed artiste, Kate’s nomination is unlikely.
4) Adia Chan (陳松伶) from The Ghetto-Fabulous Lady <福爾摩師奶>
This Sherlock Holmes-inspired series suffered in TV ratings, so being a top five contender is unlikely for Adia.
5) Sisley Choi (蔡思貝) from The Defected <鐵探>
One of TVB’s more popular in-house artistes, Sisley is a promoted star. However, she would still need a few more years of experience before she can compete for TV Queen.
6) Samantha Ko (高海寧) from My Commissioned Lover <婚姻合伙人>
It’s been a rather unlucky year for Samantha, who has had her dramas either postponed or warehoused. But her future is bright.
7) Ali Lee (李佳芯) from Big White Duel <白色強人>
Big White Duel may have good chance to compete for Best Drama, but with Ali’s political controversy this year, she may not win Best Actress for the second time anytime soon.
8) Kelly Cheung (張曦雯) from Big White Duel
As one of TVB’s newest leading actresses to hit the market, Kelly has a bright future, but she still needs some more years of experience.
9) Rosina Lam (林夏薇) from Our Unwinding Ethos <十二傳說>
Rosina is no longer a managed TVB artiste, and while Our Unwinding Ethos did well in ratings, it is unlikely that Rosina would win.
10) Moon Lau (劉佩玥) from Our Unwinding Ethos
Moon is a rising star, but still needs more time to perfect her craft.
11) Nancy Wu (胡定欣) from Justice Pao: The First Year <包青天再起風雲>
A top TVB leading actress and two-time winner, Nancy is a familiar face during anniversary season, but Justice Pao’s weak ratings are definitely affecting her chances of getting into the top five.
12) Elaine Yiu (姚子羚) from Justice Pao: The First Year
The same can be said for Nancy’s friend and costar Elaine.
13) Kristal Tin (田蕊妮) from Girlie Days <她她她的少女時代>
The former TV Queen is no doubt a solid actress, but Girlie Days hasn’t been impressing with its low viewership ratings.
14) Kingdom Yuen (苑瓊丹) from My Life As Loan Shark <街坊財爺>
Kingdom’s talent blows all her competitors out of the ballpark, but would TVB give the veteran actress an award?
15) Mandy Wong (黃智雯) from My Life As Loan Shark
Mandy is definitely a hot favorite to win, but with My Life As Loan Shark being Mandy’s only drama this year, she’s on the weaker side of the competition.
16）Maggie Shiu (邵美琪) from My Life As Loan Shark
As solid as she is, she may share the same fate as her costar Kingdom Yuen.
17) Sharon Chan (陳敏之) from The Man Who Kills Trouble <解決師>
In a male-centric show like The Man Who Kills Trouble, it’ll definitely be hard for Sharon to win.
18) Miriam Yeung (楊千嬅) from Wonder Women <多功能老婆>
Wonder Women hasn’t aired yet, but as Miriam’s comeback to Hong Kong television, one can definitely predict that the show will be in the running for Best Drama. Miriam will definitely be a top five favorite for Best Actress too, but she may not win.
19) Selena Lee (李施嬅) from Barrack O’Karma <金宵大廈>
Although only five episodes have aired, critics are already seeing Barrack O’Karma as a contender for Best Drama. Praised for her performance, Selena will definitely be in the top five.
20) Natalie Tong (唐詩詠) from Big White Duel and The Man Who Kills Trouble
Natalie shined in the Big White Duel, and if The Man Who Kills Trouble keeps up with the expectations, don’t be surprised if Natalie will win Best Actress a second time.
21) Alice Chan (陳煒) from As Time Goes By and Wonder Women
Winning Most Popular Female Character from her performance as Princess Taiping in last year’s Deep in the Realm of Conscience <宮心計2深宮計>, Alice is now on the rise to compete for TV Queen. Praised for her performance in As Time Goes By, Alice may have a chance to win this year.
22) Kara Hui (惠英紅) from The Defected
The Film Queen is a worthy winner, but we can all just wonder if TVB will give the TV Queen award to a non-managed artiste.
This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.