Chilam Cheung Angrily Blasts “Triumph in the Skies 2” PA Crew

By on October 8, 2012 in NEWS, TV Dramas

On October 7, Chilam Cheung (張智霖) updated his Weibo blog with an angry post, complaining about the poor time management of the production assistant crew for Triumph in the Skies 2 <衝上雲霄II>. His post attracted over 2,000 comments and over 3,000 re-posts.

Chilam’s post read, “I strongly urge the Triumph in the Skies 2 production assistant crew to find better job opportunities elsewhere! Acting may be an entertainment career, but in truth, it is also a job that requires effort and it needs to be handled in a serious manner. With your messy schedules and confusing arrangements, you guys don’t even know what you’re doing! Not only is this disrespectful to the actors, it is also disrespectful to the audience! You guys are bringing down the television industry to ruins! The downfall of Hong Kong television dramas will be all on you guys!”

Two hours later, Chilam expressed that he has calmed down, and wrote, “I suddenly realized that I am the one who should say sorry. I should not carry such high expectations. I did not take your abilities into account. I am sorry!”

According to various Hong Kong reports, the production assistant crew of Triumph in the Skies 2 accidentally switched up the actors’ schedules with the lighting technicians’ schedules. The lighting technicians were supposed to arrive on set two hours earlier to get their equipment set up for the scene. Chilam and the rest of the cast followed the schedules they were given, resulting in the entire cast to wait helplessly for the next two hours.

After the incident, Triumph in the Skies 2 producer, Joe Chan (陳維冠), gave a public apology to Chilam and the cast. He explained, “TVB has a hired a lot of new production assistants recently. With their lack of experience, they have handled the situation poorly. This is indeed the fault of the PA. He should take full responsibility.”

A similar situation happened a month ago involving Chilam’s Triumph in the Skies 2 costar, Francis Ng (吳鎮宇). The location of filming was not communicated to the actor properly, and Francis ended up having to drive in circles for an hour to find the exact filming location.

Source: Sina.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

74 comments to Chilam Cheung Angrily Blasts “Triumph in the Skies 2” PA Crew

1. advo says:

First Francis got ticked off and now someone as collected as Chilam? Tsk tsk. TVB is doing such a hack job. Expectations for TITS2 have been further lowered.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
    • Applelim replied:

Tsk tsk indeed! To upset Mr Nice Guy Chilam must be something serious! Its bad management to have nearly all staff newbies in the crew

Login or Register before you can reply to Applelim

A meltdown. He should have just quoted Christian Bale; “The PA crew and I are DONE PROFESSIONALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

I mean if it was a genuine mistake and just 1 time, isn’t his meltdown a bit too much?

• Funn Lim replied:

And imagine, he is paid a lot for promotion, acting as well as waiting whilst these pa crew are paid peanuts.

• advo replied:

Well, actors have big egos. However, it’s hard to imagine someone like Chilam to overreact tbh.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • advo replied:

Also, this incident comes after some PA screwed things up for Francis. You’d think they would be extra thorough after that…

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • Funn Lim replied:

Did TVB hire new PAs? Or TITS 2 is cursed?

Anyway the picture above is really funny. I guess even nice guys like Chilam can have diva moments. But I am not surprised. There was a time in a TVB award show he looked like he could kill someone and gobble them up. Like Bobby Au Yeung, I never thought he was nice no temper sort of guy.

• advo replied:

Yes, the producer talked about a lot of the PAs are newbies. While it’s understandable to make mistakes, I can understand why some people would get particular frustrated by waiting around doing nothing.

As for whether he has high EQ or not, he is known for it. I always understood it to be Anita who’s more diva-esque and he was the opposite. Even on Weibo, Anita mentioned that that Chilam has high EQ so the PA must had committed a serious mistake.

Also, TVB is known for their very long work schedules right? I can imagine that 2 hours would further prolong an already very long day.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • Funn Lim replied:

Nahhh he probably just had a really bad day and people do tweet before thinking, that sort of thing.

• advo replied:

@ Funn

IDK, usually if you tweeted in a passionate moment, you retract once you have cooled down. He followed up with saying it’s my own fault for having too high expectations of you (PA or TVB?). So I think either he’s is a diva or he got really mad about the incident. And the incident could really just be one too many since Francis went through something similar.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • sehseh replied:

Chilam does have a temper. He’s not that friendly off-stage.

Login or Register before you can reply to sehseh
    • Erica replied:

Is he human? Are you human? If so, then he sure can have a melt-down.

If you’re allow to be annoy or pissed when you want for your flight and then it got delay, cancel etc… then you would be yelling or frustrated. If not then something is definitely wrong there.

In addition, I bet this isn’t the first time either. It’s just 2 times we see it, and under close door, i bet there is more to piss a person off and release their stress. I’ll give the PA a benefit of the doubt but they need to step it up since renting an airplane scene cost a bit and now it’s pushes two hours more or have to be done on time or else…

Login or Register before you can reply to Erica
      • Erica replied:

*wait**

Login or Register before you can reply to Erica
    • ita replied:

i think his popularity made him a bit over. If it is one time and only 2 hours don’t have to make it such big deal. I bet if he’s not famous he probably won’t make such a big fuss.
      Don’t get me wrong, he is one of my fave, but i think his reaction is a bit out there.

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
      • ita replied:

after all you tend to tweet when you are mad than you will realise it’s not big deal after all. Having bad day ey?

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
      • Sheena replied:

I don’t think is his popularity that got him like that! Is the PA fault, Chilam isn’t the type that get mad so easily! Plus anyone would be mad when they have to wait 2 hours for someone that made a mistake! If it was least than half an hour or an hour I would say he overreacted but 2 hours that is just too long

Login or Register before you can reply to Sheena
      • SY replied:

Agree with Sheena. 2 hours wasted just because of an error that could be avoided if the new PAs were more attentive to details. Only people who have a lot of time on hand don’t mind people wasting their time. If professional people, time is money. Chilam could used the 2 hours resting instead of waiting around doing nothing! I would be pissed if I was in his situation!

Login or Register before you can reply to SY
      • Little fishy replied:

Chilam was way famous before, it’s not like he just got famous yesterday and hence pull the drama for more publicity. Also, I agree with other ppls, if you are limited in time, having to wait 2 hrs is a serious stress. Adding worry about the filming will be done on time, if not, that mean you need to extend filming days, that means you need to change your other schedule. I think ppls are overreacting to chilam’s post, he’s human, he can vent and should be allowed to vent his comment. As a friend, you would listen and help him release the steam, not go and tank up on his every words

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
  3. TVBFanatic says:

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again TWITter (or Weibo) is for Twits.

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
    • advo replied:

I highly disagree. I think Twitter is an excellent tool that exposes people for who they really are.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
    • Erica replied:

How else are they gonna talk to their fans +coworker??

I don’t want to see news about them all the time and have no idea what they really want to say about thing. I for one is all for it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Erica
      • advo replied:

The way they did pre-social media?

However, I personally like social media because I think it makes the celebs more human.

Login or Register before you can reply to advo
      • TVBFanatic replied:

Face to face? lol… how did people ever communicate before TWITTER?!?!

Yes.. Twitter is an excellent tool for proving people are Twits. He never should have tweeted such stupidity. That type of commentary is best left behind closed doors between him and the crew. Instead, he shares it with the world and makes himself look bad in the process.

Everyone has been frustrated at times.. but to air your dirty laundry in public? lol… he had just joined the ranks of many others who have been made to look the fool through their own misguided use of a tool that really has no value (IMHO of course :P)

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
      • Nicole replied:

You don’t get to see your idol everyday face to face if you are a fan?
        Aren’t they more human nowadays, when they post snippets of their lives and photos which they share with their fans?

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
      • lol replied:

Please! Chilam is normal people too like us who post our annoyances in fb or twitter!

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • Fox replied:

But the difference is that: Our weibo/FB/twitter rants dun create much attention. Btw just be careful with watever we rant on weibo because it always can cause to troubles. Maybe better just hint :P.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • TVBFanatic replied:

You aren’t understanding Nicole. There is NO PLACE for this type of RANT of twitter. he should have taken it to them Face to Face instead of making an ass out of himself. That’s my point. He’s a twit using twitter. He exposes himself to the public and makes a mess. It’s proof that he’s not capable of thinking things through and understanding the implications of his actions. We have been seeing more and more of this online.

I’m not talking about possible PR benefits.

I LOVE seeing people caught like this. Like the woman who was on long term disability from work, receiving insurance payments for an injury, who posted pictures of herself in a bikini on a beach in Cuba waterskiing. Then she comes back to Canada to collect her insurance checks. Seeing her in court to face fraud charges was awesome 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
      • Nicole replied:

I am understanding that you think that social networking is for twits, and we should all go back to the dark ages, before phones and just traipse on foot over land and water to get to the person to see them face to face to complain! How very productive we all would be. Have you ever wondered how busy Chilam and the PA’s superior might be? And you are expecting them to make an appointment to meet up face to face and have a cuppa to discuss the work progress of a PA? I don’t think so.

Chilam’s case is nothing like the woman who was caught for receiving disability payouts. He wasn’t doing anything illegal, but just vented his frustration in an outlet that is increasingly popular.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
      • TVBFanatic replied:

You misses the point 😛 It wasn’t a comparison in terms of results… it was proof that people are stupid when they use these tools. They still think them private when in reality they aren’t.

As to your comments in regard going back to the dark ages – lol.. seriously? That is what we call a “straw man argument.”

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
      • Nicole replied:

What I see is a man who is obstinate in his opinion that social networking is needless and useless, and thus will take any opportunity to damn them further, and calls it “proof” that they are unnecessary.

If you like face to face and snail mail so much, then maybe you shouldn’t be using the internet. 😛

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
      • TVBFanatic replied:

There is lots of proof out there that people don’t know how to use them. And you know what? Should Twitter/Weibo/Facebook all disappear tomorrow, the world would keep turning. They are not critical application.

I work in the IT world… so I have a very different view on many things when it comes to being online. I see what people do, I know the kind of information that can be scrubbed from the internet for only a few dollars. it’s downright scary what people will post about themselves online.

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
      • Nicole replied:

There are many things in the world that’s just fun and non-critical, but people still pay good money for them and enjoy them!. Not everything that exists in the world need to be FOR THE PURPOSE OF OUR SOLE SURVIVAL AS THE HUMAN RACE you know? Weibo/twitter/facebook may not be critical or so are things like fancy jewelry or stuffed toys.

And if you work in the IT world, I believe you would know the undeniable power of social networking advertising and promotion.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
  4. sbatw says:

For him to react this way, I think what had happened, did not happen for the first time.

But actually I pity the PAs. They are overloaded with duties. Who doesn’t make mistakes anyway?

Perhaps TVB needs to look into its recruitment and training programmes.

Login or Register before you can reply to sbatw
    • Ray replied:

Did you watch Scarlett Heart and most costume dramas where they portrayed the king or even queen will kill anyone who made a mistake / or said something not pleasant to their ears? Well, if these PA lived in those days, their heads are not on their bodies anymore. hehehe

Login or Register before you can reply to Ray
      • Funn Lim replied:

That is if Chilam is the emperor. He is not. And this is not olden days where everybody work at the threat of decapitation. This is modern world. Chill!

• Ray replied:

Does that makes us a bit slack then as there is no threat? Just a thought. I have seen people being indifferent because there is no repercussion even if they made mistakes.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ray
      • TVBFanatic replied:

Ray is right. let’s bring back capital punishment for an employer every time someone makes a mistake – lol

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
  5. AC says:

Chilam must have been really mad to make an outburst like this. I’m glad they apologized to him. I do feel bad for the PAs though since they get paid the least and have to do the most work. Hopefully, they will just learn from this to not make the same mistake next time.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    • Funn Lim replied:

Sadly they can’t rant about him if he was the one who is late. Life is indeed unfair.

• sehseh replied:

Lol, so true. I like Chilam acting and singing, but his 2nd weibo rant is so unnecessary.

Login or Register before you can reply to sehseh
  6. Lee says:

Celebrities should really give up Weibo/Twitter if they want to maintain their images. What a double edged sword!

Login or Register before you can reply to Lee
    • subtleness replied:

now raymond lam is smart

Login or Register before you can reply to subtleness
      • Kidd replied:

Yeah, a smart move not to open an account. Won’t post something wrong in the heat of the moment.

Kate Tsui also does not have a weibo account, I believe.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • lol replied:

Or like Ron, having your other half invade and control your weibo 😛

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • Fox replied:

Yup, Kate dun use weibo.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • subtleness replied:

perhaps they have a secret account

Login or Register before you can reply to subtleness
      • Funn Lim replied:

Maybe she uses Facebook?

7. skinnymocha says:

“I should not carry such high expectations. I did not take your abilities into account. I am sorry!”

Haha. But I didn’t expect rants coming from Chilam, of all people.

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
    • Michael replied:

He didn’t just let the incident go and apologize like a man. He decides to disrespect the PAs some more publicly.

Why do girls even like Chilam?!?!

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
      • skinnymocha replied:

Hmm. I’d usually see these kind of responses as being rather petulant, but in this particular case, TVB (management and not the PA’s) had it coming. I always had the impression Chilam’s the more calm and collected type. Does he rage often or is this just a one-off thing? If it’s the latter, I guess he must have felt pretty strongly about the matter. Still should have dealt with the issue with a bit more sense though…

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
      • Nicole replied:

I believe it’s not a one-off thing, Myolie has mentioned that it had happened several times to Chilam? Who knows how many blunders the PA really made, and Chilam did not make a fuss.
        Also both Francis Ng and Lawrence Ng had complained about the batch of PA.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
  8. nemo says:

well TVB lost alot of experienced ppl because they’re a cheap company that no one wants to stay and work for so they hired a of new ones and overworked them so what happens? this messup. chilam should just blame TVB for being the cheap a——- that they are instead of those poor PAs who prob didnt even get proper training and was just told to go do the job.

Login or Register before you can reply to nemo
  9. exoidus says:

He should’ve known better working for TVB so why the sudden outburst. Did he really expect TVB to exhibit professionalism, LOL.

The fact is he isn’t that great either. So much for the grand plan to get those superstars back…

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  10. Gia says:

Maybe someone should give him a chill pill.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gia
  11. JDub says:

Doesn’t anyone succeed at suing TVB. Erica Yuen was locked in a room and forced to sign a contract. Jenny Lau had her head slammed against a door–similar to a WWE head slam. And TVB allowed the aggressive producer to work at TVB for 12 years and counting!!! Macy Chan and Queenie Chu have to live with men in the same room in a hostel in Japan and then are forced to drive in rainy conditions in a foreign country and thus end up hospitalized. Maybe Chilam did overreact, but he is a rebel with a cause. NO CHILL PILL needed.

Login or Register before you can reply to JDub
    • JDub replied:

Wait, I forgot one more: Stephen Chan’s corruption case. THE ICING ON THE CAKE. I am waiting for the cherry topping………

Login or Register before you can reply to JDub
    • Fox replied:

I don’t comment about Jenny Lau, Macy Chan and Queenie Chu’s incident, but for Erica Yuen, I laughed. She said 6 ppl including an executive in Txb were there to force her to sign. Well, is she this important? With something about Erica Yuen I never blv her. But, where is she now?

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  12. miss says:

Can anybody tell me link for anita yuen and chilam weibo?

Login or Register before you can reply to miss
  13. Christy says:

You’ve got to put yourself in his shows, I can see how he’s got pissed, he’s known as a popular and probably heavyweight actor, people wait for him and its not for him to wait for people … if you see where Im coming from.

Login or Register before you can reply to Christy
  14. Anna says:

I guess all the former PA’s moved to CTI..

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna
  15. Lynn11 says:

Every newbie will make mistakes. Just learn and move on.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lynn11
  16. Hannahh says:

Well those PA are new so making mistake is kinda normal. I love Chilam but he shouldn’t be too upset and give them a chance.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
  17. Fox says:

Now i wonder wat will happen yo this PA? I work, I know that when working its easy to make mistake especially to newbie. I understand Chilam was pissed off but posting on weibo this way is the fastest way to lead the PA to be fired. I guess he was so mad at one oment. But wat happen happened. Now he only can regret.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    • Nicole replied:

Don’t think he’s fired because myolie still saw him today or yesterday and she said he became good and hardworking LOL. Maybe he was given warning letter?

Login or Register before you can reply to Nicole
    • lol replied:

The producer backed him so nothing happened. It’s TVB’s fault for not giving any training. Chilam is a calm and nice guy surely the PA made too many mistakes in the first place. It’s good that Chilam made this public because TVB managed artistes won’t dare since they are TVB staffs too.

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • Fox replied:

Chilam always can complain with this PA’s boss, instead of make it to public. Well, weibo/FB/twitter is the place to write to the public to read, he should be careful. See, now Chilam is also bashed.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  18. FC says:

Wow, what a brat. He should be grateful he even has a job and that pays well. Big whoop that you had to wait 2 hours…..#firstworldproblems

Login or Register before you can reply to FC
    • Ray replied:

Hmm… I also dont like to wait even for 15 minutes if an appointment is made unless that person called me up to state reason and i have the say whether to continue waiting or i just go off. I think this is more like a principal. ONe person waiting is 2 hours, if there are 10 persons waiting, it is 20 hours already. All wasted and non-productive.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ray
  19. Jojo says:

anyone is entitled to rant and share the rant in social media. this is just how things are in 2012. also, coming from one of the nicest guys in the industry, the rant is probably provoked n warranted. TITS2 has a star studded cast and the crew should know that the cast members has very high expectations. For a problem to be repeated and repeated is maybe a reason for Chilam’s outburst again n again. He was not even properly pacified and the problem appears again. So, how is the apologies to be accepted when mistakes still happening?

I think his second post is hilarious.. witty n sacarstic. He’s dropping his standard to match the PAs.. LOL

TVB has a big cast and they are not doing preparation to deal with it. The netizens should go after TVB n not the casts. Be it Chilam or Francis Ng!

Login or Register before you can reply to Jojo
    • skinnymocha replied:

Definitely agree. Especially the last paragraph. For ANY of their productions, TVB should have put more effort into training the PA’s to a sufficient level, let alone a big budget one like this.

As for Chilam being a “big star” and “higly paid”, I find that argument completely null. It is what it is. Chilam is paid to do his job and so are the PA’s, so do it right! In ANY workplace, if you don’t deliver, of course you’d be criticised. (That’s if you’re looking for “quality” – something that’s clearly amiss in TVB’s mindset these days.)

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
  20. Melody says:

I for one think Chilam over-reacted. Yes, he waited for 2 hours, his time is precious, he is human.. so aren’t the PA human? He’s paid like 100 times more than the darn PA anyway. And he was waiting on the set, doing nothing. Couldn’t he have taken a rest, chat with his co-stars etc?

But to tell the general public you over-react just cos someone mixed up your schedules and to air your grievances on weibo is something a 15 yr old kid does after what he wrote in his 2nd weibo.

Pure sarcasm and stupidity at himself. The general audience like me, yes we all know now, he’s impatient.

Login or Register before you can reply to Melody
    • kiki replied:

well said :0) Chi Lam Cheung probably thinks hes the only one who has no time to spare n all others cant be compared to him? phewww, pls…
      on top of this, the other guy Francis Ng is so damn overrated and he can probably walk all over the younger ones too b/c he thinks hes so popular haha….sigh…

Login or Register before you can reply to kiki
  21. CHo says:

I mean…they (Francis and Chilam) are both very exprienced actors. therefore, they expect quality of the backstage crew. They have expectation because they are fresh new siusangs where they are still learning. That is what makes tvb better!

Login or Register before you can reply to CHo