Natalie Tong Cries for “Storm in a Cocoon”

By on March 21, 2014 in NEWS

Known for her sympathetic roles in many TVB dramas, Natalie Tong (唐詩詠) tackled one of her most challenging roles to-date in TVB’s Storm in a Cocoon <守業者>. Portraying a young and selfish con-artist in the series, Natalie often had to shift her emotions from being manipulative to vulnerable.

“I don’t know why, but I tend to play many delicate and pitiful characters in the past,” Natalie said. “Then again, it was easy for me to grasp onto those feelings. However, this time, I am portraying a character that is rather energetic, and she is completely different from my own personality. I am usually a quiet person.”

To get herself into character easier, Natalie would warmly greet the staff and her costars while going into the studios, and she would try her best to engage in conversations and talk more often. “I want to maintain the high-tide emotions.”

Natalie’s role, Fung Chi Ching, is a young woman who was offered a job in the silk factory in order to avoid her monetary debts. She ultimately falls in love with her co-worker Hung Chor Kau (Matt Yeung 楊明), but their romance suffers a tragic ending. “There was a lot of crying scenes for me towards the end of the series,” Natalie explained. “I’m actually an oversensitive person myself so I can cry easily, and plus the script was really well-written, it got me always crying.”

Natalie shared a lot of her onscreen time with Maggie Shiu (邵美琪), who portrays Natalie’s superior. Natalie expressed that she received a lot of acting tips from Maggie and praised her to be a very helpful senior, “Maggie is usually pretty cool, but once we started to have meals together, we began to talk a lot. She often gives me a lot of acting advices. She told me to be watchful of how I enunciate my dialogue.”

Source: On.cc

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

40 comments to Natalie Tong Cries for “Storm in a Cocoon”

“But their romance suffers a tragic ending.”

Now that is a huge spoiler!

• llwy12 replied:

That line actually isn’t too bad, as it doesn’t reveal that much actually. The episode summaries reveal even more…

Anyway, I’m definitely going to miss this series after next week. It’s been a good series so far — the script is pretty well-written (though not without flaws of course, but luckily the flaws don’t detract a whole lot from the story itself) and the acting has been pretty solid from most of the cast (with a few exceptions of course). Overall, this series has been an enjoyable ride!

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
    • HeTieShou replied:

That is not much of a spoiler because that statement is pretty general. I personally do not mind spoilers because I always imagine things differently versus when anyone describes it.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Heather Mak replied:

Noooo!!!! I wanted Natalie and Matt to be together in that other show with Ruco and Florence and Louis something. Now they are finally together in this show and it’s gonna be a tragedy? TVB, COME ON!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Heather Mak
    • Puff replied:

Not a huge spoiler. Not that bad. I just hope Steven and Tavia will not suffers a tragic ending.

Both Steven and Tavia are so good. Tavia crying scene in ep 25 was very good IMO.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
  2. Lucia says:

Oh no. I want Chor Kau to have a good ending because he is a decent and honest person.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
  3. holidayNo.1 says:

i really like natalie’s acting on the storm in a cocoon
    yeah that’s want a think as welllllll………………

Login or Register before you can reply to holidayNo.1
  4. Diana says:

Hated this drama. so boring and dull.

Login or Register before you can reply to Diana
    • TVBfan88 replied:

you must have watched all of the episodes to come up with that bold statement. lol

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBfan88
    • HeTieShou replied:

Regardless of how great or popular any series is,it cannot be liked by everyone. But of course,you’d have to,watch it from beginning to end in order to make an opinion on it. I have noticed that many just see a few episodes here and there and then make their judgement. I do not that is fair to the series.just saying in general and not aiming at anyone or any particular series.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Judy Cheung replied:

I acquiesce as well. Republican-era dramas are sad, depressing.

Login or Register before you can reply to Judy Cheung
    • kolo replied:

in my opinion its not boring,in contrary its one of the best tvb drama last time,with a good old school story,nice background and music.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
  5. Tb1 says:

It’d be nice if there was a spoiler warning.

Hoping Steven and Tavia don’t have the same ending.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tb1
  6. Charbydis says:

Oh yikes! I actually like the Chi Ching and Chor Kau pairing! There were getting cute together after ep 20.

This drama is strange. I can’t say I like it a lot, but I certainly don’t hate it. It is quite similar to other series in plot about a large family with internal fights. I actually find the plot quite dull but the chemistry between the casts (except Stephen Wong, he looks quiet awkward in here!) makes me continue to watch.

Login or Register before you can reply to Charbydis
    • Funn Lim replied:

It is similar but dull? Never a dull moment. For what it is worth, I thought I figured out the plot and then there are unexpected twists. Really the most exciting series on TV right now because the way it goes, it is anything goes!

• her replied:

couldn’t have said it better. Just when you think it couldn’t get any more typical, then bam! twist! I’m sitting at the edge of my seat during each episode and screaming “no!!!!” at the end.

Login or Register before you can reply to her
      • Puff replied:

Yes indeed. As Steven said great script. Nice surprises and great acting. Great chemistry. Really enjoyable.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
  7. HeTieShou says:

How many episodes does this series have? I completely forgot.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • sandcherry replied:

As per Wikipedia, there should be 32 episodes.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • HeTieShou replied:

Thanks Sandcherry! I vaguely remembered that there were 25 eps but I guess I remembered wrong.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Funn Lim replied:

If 25 should have ended yesterday.

• HeTieShou replied:

I lost track of which episode you guys are on. Oh so you are past 25? You guys are reaching the end then. I really hope the ending is good. There are often times many good series with bad endings which messes everything up.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Puff replied:

HTS only 25 episodes aired so far in HK. I’m caught up this weekend and am up to ep 25

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
  8. jp says:

Love Steven Ma!!

Login or Register before you can reply to jp
  9. lemongrass says:

Totally unexpected of the killer. Actually don’t like story of that era but I started out of curiosity to find out of the killer. Even after knowing who did it, its casts kept me going as they are good even those with smaller roles. And there are 2 characters I really hate, the uncle played by Lee Kok Lun, and Cho Yiu’s mother played by Helen. Guess they are just terribly good in acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to lemongrass
  10. Catherine says:

watched first few episodes and boring for I.

Login or Register before you can reply to Catherine
    • Dinamarca replied:

speaks everything 4 i.

Login or Register before you can reply to Dinamarca
  11. picklehead says:

I’m kind of confused. I thought she made an oath to be single? What is that procedure called because I tried to look it up online (I’d never heard of it before).

I remember she had the ceremony, did her hair in a certain way and I assumed that was that. Now I see her with the two braids and she’s allowed to date. ?

Login or Register before you can reply to picklehead
    • MW replied:

Fung Ji Ching/馮芷晴 took the oath of celibacy/自梳女 in order to escape marrying the bully/超哥, who her stepmother/后母 sold her to.

After she came clean (thus, came the braids) about all the lies and that she really needed the money for her father, maybe it was understood that the oath was just a scheme that they came up with and taken under pressure without sincerity? Maybe the tragic ending is related to the bully?

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
      • MW replied:

Or, maybe she cannot let her deceased father see her as a celibate woman/自梳女?

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
      • Funn Lim replied:

MW is right. When she took the oath it wasn’t voluntary so she is released from her oath and no longer is a sworn single woman.

• picklehead replied:

But I thought once you go through the ceremony that’s it.

Like getting married, once you go through with it (during that time) you couldn’t get out of it just like that.

Login or Register before you can reply to picklehead
      • Funn Lim replied:

Maybe they made an exception for her because of her circumstances. Even marriage is something you can get out from if you are forced into it, Of course you must go to the magistrate and beat the drums and all that.

• MW replied:

Didn’t everyone agree that taking the oath was the best escape from the bully, who threatened to take her against her will (for more beating and whatever)?

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
  12. Wallace Yeung says:

Hands down best tvb drama of 2014

Login or Register before you can reply to Wallace Yeung
  13. DramaAddict says:

My first time watching Natalie Tong and I really like her acting. I think she could be the next Tavia Yeung, at least reaching the fadan level very soon.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
  14. DramaAddict says:

I was wondering if someone out there can clarify for me one of the earliest scenes where Fung Chi Ching was still a con artist. Helen Ma’s character was duped by Chi Ching. And it seemed like Chi Ching was in desperate need of cash because she asked Chor Kau to lend her money. But the following scene, she was trying to buy gold & silver nuggets with a handful of cash. And then the next scene we manipulates the women co-workers into lending her some more cash. It didn’t make sense to me why she was buying gold & silver. There was no follow up to that scene and it had me scratching my head. Was it an inconsistency? Maybe some of you out there who’s been following closely can explain to me. Thanks.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
  15. Bluehorsy says:

I liked this drama a lot. It feel like tvb isn’t promoting it much though.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bluehorsy
  16. Corine says:

overrated drama.

Login or Register before you can reply to Corine
    • Corine replied:

& of course his drama will be written well, because if not, Steven may leave again or threaten tvb. so tvb has to satisfy him and plus he chose tavia to be his female lead. he got what he wants.

Login or Register before you can reply to Corine