Niki Chow, Kenneth Ma at “The Misadventure of Zoo” Costume Fitting

By on March 27, 2014 in TV Dramas

Popular television stars Niki Chow (周麗淇) and Kenneth Ma (馬國明) team up for the first time in TVB’s upcoming period drama The Misadventure of Zoo <流氓皇帝>, a remake of the classical 1981 television drama series of the same name, which starred Adam Cheng (鄭少秋) and Louise Lee (李司棋).

On March 27, Niki, Kenneth, Mandy Wong (黃智雯), Benjamin Yuen (袁偉豪), 6 Wing (陸永), Harriet Yeung (楊詩敏), and Koo Ming Wah (古明華) attended a press conference for the comedy drama at TVB studios in Tseung Kwan O. Niki will be starring as Louise Lee’s role Yee Yung Yung, a simple-minded young woman who is extremely faithful to her love. Kenneth portrays Adam Cheng’s classic role Chu Kam Chuen, a wide-eyed peasant who dumps his longtime girlfriend after he strikes rich with a pot of gold.

Speaking about Kenneth’s unfaithful role, Niki was asked if she had once met a similar person in real life. She laughed lightly and said, “I don’t remember! I don’t remember the unhappy things!” In the series, Niki portrays a naïve girl who is loyal to Kenneth, but after Kenneth becomes rich, he dumps her for another woman.

The 34-year-old said she is looking forward to working with Kenneth, as this will be their first collaboration together. “[Kenneth] is known for being slow. He is very suitable to play these characters!” Niki stated that she will be portraying Yee Yung Yung from her teenage years to her senior years. Niki said this will also be her first time trying old-age makeup.

Kenneth said he is not worried about viewers comparing the remake to the classic, saying, “When the original was airing, I was very young. Many of the younger audiences of today have never seen the classic before. The producer actually told me to not imitate Adam Cheng’s portrayal, but to come up with something myself. I don’t have pressure.”

Asked if Kenneth had once been unfaithful to a former girlfriend after becoming rich, he said, “I haven’t tried it yet. I don’t know what will happen in the future, but this is the sickness that many men have. I didn’t strike rich yet so I don’t know!”

The Misadventure of Zoo

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

48 comments to Niki Chow, Kenneth Ma at “The Misadventure of Zoo” Costume Fitting

1. Hannah says:

Kenneth and Niki are ok. I don’t know if comedy is their forte. Kenneth portrays the YKT-type well. He’s a bit forceful in other roles. Niki isn’t bad, but she can be bland at times.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    • Jenny Mok replied:

I agree….

Login or Register before you can reply to Jenny Mok
  2. Nori says:

LOL This clip is actually hilarious!

Login or Register before you can reply to Nori
    • Vetina replied:

agree w/ nori

Login or Register before you can reply to Vetina
  3. Vetina says:

well done

Login or Register before you can reply to Vetina
  4. Vetina says:

horrible costumes.

Login or Register before you can reply to Vetina
    • miriamfanz replied:

Yeah! What’s with his hat?!

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
      • Larry 3 replied:

the hat is in colonial times

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
      • miriamfanz replied:

Adam Cheng’s hat didn’t look as bad…

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
      • Larry 3 replied:

Well give most of TVB costume productions that is left there, it should have been more presentable then that.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  5. Puff says:

Gee, TVB is really at all time low since this is the 2nd remake production this year…

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
    • kolo replied:

i dont mind if the remake is a clasic but i never heard about this drama,hope it will be a good one.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
      • Joanna replied:

This show was rather popular then

Login or Register before you can reply to Joanna
      • llwy12 replied:

Actually, The Misadventures of Zoo IS a classic — it was very popular back when it aired and the ending scene was especially famous. I wonder if they are going to do the same ending scene with the same hit song composed by Joseph Koo with lyrics by James Wong (love that song…boy, I miss those 2 music legends!!). I’m assuming they’re keeping that scene, since Nikki mentioned about trying old-age makeup…

I’m hoping they don’t butcher the remake….

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
      • kolo replied:

after some search on youtube i found the end scene with the music.i remember this song,yes this song is quite good,the melody is very distinctive for that era.but i hope they will compose a new song with the old end scene because i think every drama must have their own characteristic music which can be remembered of that drama.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
    • HeTieShou replied:

Totally agree with you Puff! Besides trying to get former artists back that have made it big, they are now trying to re live the old days by remaking their classics hoping to draw the audience back to the good old days when their series were golden. I wonder if this plan of theirs will work or backfire??? We shall see…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Larry 3 replied:

TVB has been doing the remakes since 90s… same ole TVB

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
      • Puff replied:

Indeed we shall see HTS. I’m getting more disappointed with TVB. There’s no creativity in the story, script, and there’s no attempt at improving if they are doing remakes and getting former artists back.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
  6. katies says:

I thought Nikki said she won’t act this year. guess she changed her mind

Login or Register before you can reply to katies
    • Lori replied:

she probably changed her mind cus she wanted to act with kenneth since she never collab with him before (:

Login or Register before you can reply to Lori
    • AC replied:

I thought it was rumored that she will be filming 2 tvb series this year.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
  7. Lori says:

The hat looks hilarious :p

Login or Register before you can reply to Lori
    • HeTieShou replied:

My thoughts exactly!

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  8. jop says:

when are they gonna make shows made for young people

Login or Register before you can reply to jop
  9. Theresa says:

Cast seems eerily similar to on call.. Sans tavia

Login or Register before you can reply to Theresa
    • miriamfanz replied:

Poon Ka Tak is producer for both. that might explain it

Login or Register before you can reply to miriamfanz
  10. Shrimpboat says:

I can’t imagine they had a big budget for costumes back in the old days (70’s and 80’s), but the outfits were still so creative and beautiful. These days…it’s like they just don’t care.

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
    • HeTieShou replied:

Of course things were cheaper back then versus now…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Shrimpboat replied:

oh! yes, good point!

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
  11. holidayNo.1 says:

wow this tv film is weird kenneth’s outfit looks like
    a very old fashioned clothing OMG

Login or Register before you can reply to holidayNo.1
  12. Iris says:

Am I the only one who thinks that the English titles of TVB shows are going downhill big time?

Login or Register before you can reply to Iris
    • Bubblez replied:

No, you’re not the only one, Iris. I also think some of these English titles are weird or long. 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    • HeTieShou replied:

I always thought their English titles were really unique which is not a bad thing. But lately the titles have gotten just plain weird.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Funn Lim replied:

Wei!! Ruse of Engagement is a great title. Storm In A Cocoon is also a great title. Even Gilded Chopsticks is a good title. This zoo thing, maybe they’ll change it later.

• Bubblez replied:

Those titles are fine. But what about the upcoming titles that were shown at this year’s HK FLIMART?
        All that is Bitter is Sweet, Madam Cutie on Duty, Ghost Dragon of Hidden Mountain, Black Heart White Soul, or Noblesse Oblige?

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • Funn Lim replied:

All that is Bitter is Sweet – Nice!

Madam Cutie on Duty – Temp title?

Ghost Dragon of Hidden Mountain – If it is about a ghost dragon in a mountain hidden from view, it is at least an accurate title

Black Heart White Soul – Nice! I get it!

Noblesse Oblige – Ok, this one I don’t get.

• Bubblez replied:

All of them are original titles but I wish they would stick with the previous title for 大藥坊.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    • Larry 3 replied:

The English titles have always been pathetic lately.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    • Ric replied:

I’ve always thought they should use English names that are actually translations of their Chinese names. Most of the time the English name doesn’t make any sense when you first watch the series but I find that by the end of the series the name usually makes much more sense.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
  13. HeTieShou says:

I never saw the old version, was it good???

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • llwy12 replied:

It was pretty good — the cast was definitely stellar and the story was interesting, though I wasn’t too into the series because I personally can’t stand Adam Cheng (good actor but dislike him as a person) and also I’m not too fond of Republic-era series. If you’re planning on watching the remake and have never seen the 1981 version, I would suggest not watching the old version because you might get yourself frustrated with the different levels of acting…

On a related note…I see that Lee Kwok Lun is part of the cast — he was in the old version too…I wonder if he will be playing the same character? How about Chun Wong? Is he part of the cast as well? He had a pretty significant role in the original version and since he’s still with TVB, it would make sense for TVB to cast him in this series.

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
      • HeTieShou replied:

Thanks for the info [email protected] I guess I will just watch the new version since I probably cannot find the old version anyways. I do not think it was ever released on DVD.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  14. angelababy2 says:

bad drama act by mah kok ming.

Login or Register before you can reply to angelababy2
  15. mika s. says:

i love it when niki chow goes in traditional t v shows! also remember to watch bosco wong !

Login or Register before you can reply to mika s.
  16. mika s. says:

my favouritee celebrity is niki chow!

Login or Register before you can reply to mika s.
  17. Kora Tai says:

Niki Chow (周麗淇) and Kenneth Ma (馬國明)are in for a challenge.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kora Tai
  18. munchkin says:

Am I the only one that thinks Kenneth can’t act? I mean his expression are just so stone to me. I’m sure he’s good at remembering his lines but then he just doesn’t captivates me when he acts. Just sayin’

Login or Register before you can reply to munchkin
  19. heidi says:

the hat looks ridiculously awk.

Login or Register before you can reply to heidi