“Saving General Yang” Opens Worldwide April 4, 2013

By on February 18, 2013 in Movies

Hong Kong tragic war film, Saving General Yang <忠烈楊家將>, is finally coming to worldwide cinemas on April 4, 2013!

Directed by internationally acclaimed Hong Kong director, Ronny Yu (于仁泰), Saving General Yang tell the story of Song Dynasty general Yang Ye, who is tasked to defend the Northern Song Dynasty of China from the opposing Liao Dynasty of Khitan. Betrayed by court statesman Pan Renmei, Yang falls into enemy hands. Yang’s seven sons, led by eldest son Yang Dalang, infiltrate the Khitan army to save their father, sacrificing themselves in the process.

Saving General Yang is based on the traditional Chinese folklore, Generals of the Yang Family, which is itself inspired by a true story. Produced by Raymond Wong (黃百鳴) and distributed by Hong Kong’s Pegasus Motion Pictures, the screenplay of Saving General Yang is helmed by Raymond Wong’s son, Edmond Wong (黃子桓), who is best known for his work on Donnie Yen’s (甄子丹) Ip Man <葉問> trilogy.

Ronny Yu, who reached worldwide fame after directing 2003’s Freddy vs. Jason and 2006’s Fearless <霍元甲>, returns to direct Saving General Yang after a seven-year hiatus.

With a budget of over $311 million HKD, Saving General Yang is the most expensive production by Pegasus Motion Pictures since its establishment in 2009. The epic motion picture stars an ensemble of popular actors from Hong Kong, Taiwan, and mainland China, including Adam Cheng (鄭少秋) as the great Song general, Yang Ye; Xu Fan (徐帆) as Yang’s wife, She Saihua; and Ekin Cheng (鄭伊健), Yu Bo (于波), Vic Chou (周渝民), Li Chen (李晨), Raymond Lam (林峯), Wu Chun (吳尊), and Fu Xinbo (付辛博) as Yang and She’s seven sons.

It took Raymond Wong a bit of convincing to bring Ronny Yu back to the studios. What drew Ronny to direct a story that has already been adapted numerous times before?

Filial piety, honor, loyalty, and courage are the main themes explored in Saving General Yang, which were the main attractions that drew Ronny to direct the film. “Besides entertaining the audience, this film can also enlighten the younger generation on what ‘filial piety’ really means. Filial piety never gets old, and is never outdated.”

Vic Chou, who portrays the third son, Yang Sanlang, also praised the script. “I was crying when I read the script. The seven Yang brothers are willing to sacrifice themselves to protect their brothers. I really cry each time I read the script.”

A 2-minute Chinese trailer was released on Yahoo Hong Kong and Taiwan on February 8. The film will be released worldwide, with the exception of the United States, on April 4, 2013.

“Saving General Yang” Trailer

Saving General Yang Adam Cheng  Saving General Yang Yu Bo

Saving General Yang Vic Chou  Saving General Yang Li Cheng

Saving General Yang Wu Chun  Saving General Yang Fu Xinbo

Source: Chinayes.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

34 comments to “Saving General Yang” Opens Worldwide April 4, 2013

April 4? So long away!! At least it uis not April 1! Posters look… not good. Too clean.

• Profile photo of jayne jayne replied to Funn Lim

Funn,
      These are only character stills for the Yang warriors. Not sure if the official poster is out yet.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
    • Susan replied to Funn Lim

The film will be released worldwide, with the exception of the United States, on April 4, 2013. When in United States? I am doomed

Login or Register before you can reply to Susan
      • CL replied to Susan

yea…why “exception of the United States”??? when can we see it?

Login or Register before you can reply to CL
      • adramafilledworld replied to Susan

My heart sank when I read that part. I was really hoping to watch it. I know I wasn’t going to enjoy it that much with the dubs and prefer subs, but that just ain’t cool.

Login or Register before you can reply to adramafilledworld
  2. Darren says:

why do they dress like they from some mythical movie? Lord of the ring + Troy cross over! Ridiculous Chinese dressing westernize to impress Chinese audience. They have lost themselves!

Login or Register before you can reply to Darren
    • Ric replied to Darren

I don’t agree. The dress is pretty typical of what ancient films have these days.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
    • Cara replied to Darren

Um…that is what generals from the ancient dynasties always wore. What do you expect them to wear, PJs?

Login or Register before you can reply to Cara
    • Crystal replied to Darren

Correct me if I am wrong but the stuff you see in westernized films I.e the outfits and all could have been taken from elsewhere. Thus, theyre not exactly “original” either.

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal
    • msxie replied to Darren

you probably mistakenly think of Manchu clothes as representative of Chinese traditional dressing. .

This is the clothing style of early Han Chinese dynasties. It’s Lord of the Rings that copied the Chinese wuxia clothing and hair

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
    • Elle replied to Darren

I hate it when people think Lord of the Rings is an original concept, I mean I love the films myself, but you can see all the references to other cultures and their history, especially the older Chinese dynasties.

Login or Register before you can reply to Elle
  3. Charbydis says:

I hope this is better that Cecelia’s version cos that was horrible! But I always like Adam Cheng onscreen so would most likely watch it!

Login or Register before you can reply to Charbydis
    • Looooooooooo replied to Charbydis

He is the father of Chok

Login or Register before you can reply to Looooooooooo
      • Moo replied to Looooooooooo

No way Andy lau is the chok king and father . His the person who invented chok

Login or Register before you can reply to Moo
      • clamine replied to Looooooooooo

@Moo: I thought Adam Cheng is the father of Chok.

Login or Register before you can reply to clamine
      • Looooooooooo replied to Looooooooooo

Patrick tse is the great grandfather of chok

Login or Register before you can reply to Looooooooooo
      • Cara replied to Looooooooooo

@Looooooooooo – no, Patrick Tse is the grandmaster of chok – chok代宗師! XD

Login or Register before you can reply to Cara
  4. Canto says:

Is this a true story? I should wikipedia it. Is a sad story if it is true… I’d bet the father would not want his sons to die to save him.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
    • shu replied to Canto

i found nothing in wikipedia about his 7 son’s recued his father,i dont think this a real event.

Login or Register before you can reply to shu
      • Moo replied to shu

It a real story not a made up story by some people

Login or Register before you can reply to Moo
    • Fox replied to Canto

Half true, half legend. Yang family existed in real history, the father and the sons really died in Golden Sand Battle, but their story was also exaggerated by the admirers. Watever, they were still the heroes who fought for the country.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Looooooooooo replied to Fox

In wuhan , there is a temple to tribute yang’s father , mother and seven sons.it is a tourism landmark

Login or Register before you can reply to Looooooooooo
      • shu replied to Fox

i dont think the golden sand battle really happened.it was made up by storytellers,if such great event have happened why isnt it mentioned in wikipedia?
        but agree that the Yang’s family were heroes of the northern-song dynasty.

Login or Register before you can reply to shu
      • Funn Lim replied to Fox

Wikipedia is a reference source but not the only or ultimate source.

• Cara replied to Canto

It’s a real story, but I think some details about the Yang family were romanticized and exaggerated.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cara
  5. AL says:

love it…support Raymond….hope good show…well done every actor

Login or Register before you can reply to AL
  6. cc says:

OMG Vic, a definitly watch for him….

Login or Register before you can reply to cc
  7. HeTieShou says:

I just hope that it lives up to the expectations since it has been a long wait…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • looooooooooo replied to HeTieShou

I think wu chun is one of the survivor

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooo
  8. Rain says:

Super excited to see Wu Chun on the Big Screen again…

Login or Register before you can reply to Rain
  9. Rain says:

Super EXCITED to see Wu Chun again on the big Screen…

Login or Register before you can reply to Rain
  10. Cara says:

Parking my butt here until April 4 for Raymond. Although I wished Louis was able to film the movie instead of Ekin.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cara
  11. looooooooooooooo says:

louise got injured before filming

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooooooo
  12. YanYanKong says:

Does United States mean the whole North America? Cause I don’t see it here in Canada. I checked the theatre list of coming soon movies and couldn’t see this movie. =( I really wanna watch this in a theatre though.

Login or Register before you can reply to YanYanKong