JayneStars.com logo

Wallace Huo Talks “Swordman” Love Interests

By on March 6, 2013

Wallace Huo Talks “Swordman” Love Interests thumbnail

Wallace Huo’s (霍建華) newest television drama, Swordman <笑傲江湖> for Hunan STV, has generated mixed reviews from the public. As a loose adaptation of the wuxia epic The Smiling, Proud Wanderer, one of Jin Yong’s (金庸) most celebrated novels, Swordman had been undergoing tight critical scrutiny since producer Yu Zheng (于正) first announced of its production in late 2011.

As one of the most successful producers on romantic idol dramas, Yu Zheng’s announcement on penning the ambitious wuxia epic collected much negative feedback from Jin Yong fans. Loyal fans of the original novel were quick in jumping to the conclusion that Swordman would eventually become a drama that would “be so bad that it is good.” Other reluctant fans blatantly expressed that the adaptation would be a disgrace to the novel.

And as expected, Yu Zheng has kept up with his reputation as a romantic writer in Swordman, which is conspicuously shown through a rewritten love triangle between protagonist Linghu Chong, his primary love interest Ren Yingying, and antagonist Dongfang Bubai.

Despite all the attacks and disappointment, Swordman still became one of Hunan STV’s most-watched television shows for prime-time. Surely, something must have drawn audiences into watching the show.

Wallace Huo, who portrays Linghu Chong, expected such criticism to arise when he first took on the role. However, the Taiwanese actor made it very clear that Swordman is meant for a different audience. “I am personally against adaptations that are very different from the original work, but despite its changes, I was quite impressed with the Swordman script. The relationships between the characters are splendid. I believe that many younger audiences are not very familiar with the original, so [Swordman] should be able to serve these younger audiences.”

The drama’s main love story arc – in which Linghu Chong is torn between his loves Dongfang Bubai and Ren Yingying – is a highly popular topic of discussion between the fans. Although it is a given that Linghu Chong and Ren Yingying are endgame, thousands of fans commented on Yu Zheng’s Weibo requesting for Linghu Chong to choose Dongfang Bubai in the end.

Wallace said, “I know many fans cannot understand to why Linghu Chong doesn’t respond to Dongfang Bubai’s pursuits after everything she has done for him. But the ending is set, and nothing can change it. Linghu Chong has to end up with Ren Yingying.” However, Wallace expressed that he finds Linghu Chong and Dongfang Bubai’s relationship to be fascinating, as the extent of their relationship cannot be simply written down into paper.

If his love interests Dongfang Bubai, Ren Yingying, and Yue Lingshan were animals, what would they be? After a moment of thought, Wallace said, “In my point of view, I’d say Yue Lingshan is a bit more cunning than the others. She is a very smart cat. Dongfang Bubai, in my opinion, is like a tiger mom. First off, she is very powerful, and second off, she is very passionate, which makes her appear very aggressive. Ren Yingying, to me, is like a sheep. She is very docile, patient, and easy to talk to.”

On Joe Chen

The popularity of the Linghu Chong and Dongfang Bubai relationship brought back old love rumors concerning Wallace and Joe Chen (陳喬恩), who portrayed Dongfang Bubai. Wallace and Joe fell in love on the set of the 2004 Taiwanese drama, 100% Senorita <千金百分百>. Though the pair separated several years later, their relationship did not end on bad terms.

Weeks ago, Joe posted an ambiguous post on Weibo, which read, “Up at 6 in the morning. I think of the cat, and [I] think of you.” Attached to the post was a photo of her watch. Fans believed that Joe was referring to Wallace, and wondered if the ex-couple had rekindled their once-extinguished love flames on the Swordsman set.

Looking shy, Wallace explained, “That was when we were young. We are now old and even our wrinkles have appeared. Many things have changed in the past few years. I’ve gotten older. She’s gotten older. There have been big changes. Both of us have experienced different setbacks and different matters, so we have both changed dramatically.”

Wallace admitted that he has not read Joe’s Weibo post. When the interviewer showed Wallace the post, Wallace looked down at his own watch and said quizzically, “It wouldn’t be this one, right? I need to give her a call. I need to ask her who she was talking about. Don’t drag me into this!”

Ren Yingying as Ideal Wife

Wallace does not take pleasure in sharing his private life, and dryly said, “That’s because I have such a boring life. It’s not interesting.”

Currently single, Wallace was asked if Joe Chen remains to be his ideal type. He apathetically answered, “Not bad. She’s good, and a pretty girl.”

Not wanting to be drilled about questions concerning Joe Chen again, Wallace decided to reveal his ideal type, “I like docile and low-profile girls. I also like those who are pardoning and forgiving, and someone who I can take out with and manage a house. These requirements shouldn’t be too high, right?” Wallace laughed.

Wallace’s description of the ideal girl is exactly like Ren Yingying. To this, Wallace agreed.

Source: Hunantv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

Tags: , , ,

• Yu Zheng’s “Swordman” Finale Accused of Copying "Painted Skin 2"(25)
  • The Many Criticisms of Yu Zheng’s "Swordman"(65)
  • Wallace Huo's Theme Song for "Swordman" Released(35)
  • Will Wallace Huo and Joe Chen Rekindle Love Flame?(45)
  • Wallace Huo’s “Swordsman” Releases 9-Minute Trailer(20)
  • Starring Wallace Huo, Yu Zheng's "Swordsman" Accused Of Being An Idol Drama(78)
  • Who Broke Joe Chen's Heart? Fans Point at Louis Koo, Wallace Huo(69)
  • Joe Chen, Ming Dao’s “Beauties of the Emperor” to be Rebroadcast October 14(2)
  • Wallace Huo Cheated on Joe Chen with Viann Zhang?(19)
  • Joe Chen Torn Between Louis Koo and Wallace Huo?(50)

• Readers' Comments (20)

Quite clearly refuted the rumours.

As for Swordsman, I don’t think mixed review is a fair statement. You can say it was almost universally panned. Mixed seems more like half and half. Universally panned is more suitable even if the actors are well liked.

Yu Zheng, oh Yu Zheng…no no no… Wallace ge, ah Wallce ge, Yuzheng is behind you… RUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. LeilaFan says:

Nobody can beat Linghu Chong role of Jackie Lui in TVB 1996 adaption. Those who not watch it yet, give it a try, and you fall in love with Jackie Lui.

• Cara says:

Agreed! Jackie Lui IS Linghu Chong! It was as if he wasn’t even acting, but just being himself. At some angles, Wallace has the looks of how I’d imagine LHC to look like, but not the temperance. He’s a bit too brooding, and doesn’t have LHC’s carefree temperance.

“Wallace decided to reveal his ideal type, “I like docile and low-profile girls. I also like those who are pardoning and forgiving, and someone who I can take out with and manage a house. These requirements shouldn’t be too high, right?” Wallace laughed.”

Then he must marry his manager if his manager is a woman.

I am not sure but maybe some hardcore Wallace fans will know. Did he and Joe dated several years? My impression was probably 1 year since he left for China not long later?

• HeTieShou says:

I don’t think even the hardcore fans would know since only he would know for sure… But of course, if he does not say or hint anything, then honestly even if his own parents would not know, but fans?? no way!!

5. Kidd says:

I wonder how viewers who have not read the novel or watch previous versions will feel if they pick up the novel expecting a romance novel and find that there is no love triangle plot between DFBB-LHC-RYY and DFBB only appears in 1 chapter and is a man.

• Funn Lim says:

Maybe this will encourage more to read the original novel. It will help if JY comes out publicly to say he hate this adaptation. Surely book sales will rise.

Kidd you gotta see the last episode, the last 5 minutes. I don’t get the ending. I mean I get why the ending but I don’t get the ending. This is even more screwed up than any TVB adaptation and yet,not one word from JY. Has it been about money all these while?

6. Cara says:

I gotta disagree on him saying Ren Ying Ying is a sheep though. Perhaps to LHC, she is forever doting and caring, but she definitely can be ruthless. She isn’t Ren Wo Xing’s daughter for nothing.

• Little fishy says:

Yea, I think in the tvb version, she is quite strong, and can flare up if anyone dare her, but she got really tame as soon as she interact with him. I think only to him that she’s a sheep

• Cara says:

I think it’s more because of her she fell in love with LHC? Even in the book she’s like that. She fell in love with him because of his ability to care and to love, which is a rarity in the jianghu life. He’s like a breath of fresh air to her, because she grew up where everyone is hungry for power (DFBB, her dad, etc.). Also, LHC always treated her really well, and even when he’s thinking of Yue Ling Shan…well, she can’t blame him, right? She knew all along that he liked YLS.

• Cara says:

Opps, I meant *how.

7. sexy says:

I got the other new Interview.. and quite contradiction

and I don’t get..
      first, he denied any relationship with Joe Chen, and now… he says “anything is possible..”

mmm Wallace seems very wishy washy, just like his character LHC (LHC in YZ’s Swordman)

• minnieb says:

He does say everything is possible. Can watch his interview on YT. He clearly said that he won’t say, it’s impossible because no one knows about the future.

• Funn Lim says:

From what I know, as from translated articles from fans, he never denied his past relationship with Joe. And he emphasises he is not with anyone right now, not even Joe.

And of course he can’t predict the future but so far he has always been the sort never to answer any questions about his love life but if he denies it, it must be the case.

• sexy says:

nope what I mean wasn’t about they past relationship.. but what Wallace said these day

I mean just about 3 days ago Wallace convincingly denied any rumours with Joe Chen..and hint that Joe not his type, even bagged don’t drag him to that “miss you posted” (this article)

but the next day.. he gave an ambiguous answer.. and said its possible
          (in the link I gave)

8. singALong says:

Wallace Huo, who portrays Linghu Chong, expected such criticism to arise when he first took on the role. However, the Taiwanese actor made it very clear that Swordman is meant for a different audience. “I am personally against adaptations that are very different from the original work, but despite its changes, I was quite impressed with the Swordman script. The relationships between the characters are splendid. I believe that many younger audiences are not very familiar with the original, so [Swordman] should be able to serve these younger audiences.”

He is such a liar! Why the hell would he argue with the director about the romance with DFBB if he was all for the love?!! And some hardcore fans of his said Wallace was tricked into taking this role? That the script was changed on him during the filming? BS!

• Cara says:

I admit I’m a purist when it comes to the novel, and this storyline makes me wanna puke up blood. I probably would’ve liked it more if it was a completely original story and not an adaptation.

9. singALong says:

hehe Cara, I was not talking about the storyline/plot..

but how Wallace seems hypocrite!

Readers are no longer able to comment on this old article.

• Job Opening

JayneStars.com is now hiring an entertainment news writer.

Work from home in our paid part-time position. CLICK HERE for details on how to apply!

• JayneStars News Subscription