Chow Yun Fat and Nicholas Tse Film Wong Jing’s New Gambling Movie

By on July 30, 2013 in Movies

On July 28, the star-studded cast for upcoming Lunar New Year film, Casino <賭城風雲>, attended a press conference held at TVB City in Tsueng Kwan O. Directed by Wong Jing (王晶), Casino is co-produced by TVB and stars Chow Yun Fat (周潤發), Nicholas Tse (謝霆鋒), and Chapman To (杜汶澤).

It has been 30 years since Chow Yun Fat last filmed a local Hong Kong movie. He recalled that his last Lunar New Year film was 1988’s Eight Happiness <八星報喜>, which was directed by Johnnie To (杜琪峯). Fat Gor expressed that he is looking forward to his “TVB comeback” and exclaimed that his costar, Nicholas Tse, had always been his idol.

“[Nicholas] is my idol. If I don’t film a movie with him, I don’t know how I’m going to face his dad (Patrick Tse 謝賢) and mom (Deborah Dik 狄波拉)… his father took great care of me years ago, and I will always try my best to see if I can bully [Nicholas]!” Fat Gor joked.

Fat Gor added that he had been watching over Nicholas as he grew up, got married and had kids. Nicholas laughed and said, “Now I’m divorced.” Fat Gor immediately replied, “Wow! Faster than me!”

With his slicked back undercut and black shades, the press remarked that Fat Gor had the aura of a captain. Even Triumph in the Skies 2 <衝上雲霄II> captains Sam Gor (Francis Ng 吳鎮宇) and Jayden Cool (Chilam Cheung 張智霖) will have to stand aside and make way for him! Fat Gor immediately said, “Don’t say that. They are my idols!”

Fat Gor exclaimed that he is an avid follower of TVB dramas and has been watching Triumph in the Skies 2 and Karma Rider <師父·明白了>. He said, “Kenneth Ma (馬國明) [in Triumph in the Skies 2] is a baddie… he has so many girlfriends. I don’t understand why [Myolie Wu (胡杏兒)] has to be so cold to her elder brother. It’s like he killed someone or something. The 8:30 pm show [Karma Rider] is pretty good too! Priscilla BB (Priscilla Wong 黃翠如) is not bad!”

Asked if Fat Gor will be willing to shoot a bed scene for a film, he said, “I don’t mind, but I don’t know about my wife.”

Though the cast are good friends with director Wong Jing, the Casino director clarified that the entire cast were paid with their market prices. Wong Jing hinted that Fat Gor was paid with an astronomical fee, saying, “Whatever Hollywood gave him, I gave him. If I have the budget, I should give my friends these benefits!”

Despite the title, Wong Jing assured that the film would cover family-friendly topics. “It is a co-production after all. Mainland China has over 1.3 billion people, and we have responsibility to educate their children. This film will not encourage gambling.”

Video News Coverage

Chow Yun Fat 7

Source: On.cc; On.cc; On.cc

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

30 comments to Chow Yun Fat and Nicholas Tse Film Wong Jing’s New Gambling Movie

1. ita says:

Is it just me or Mr chow getting younger. He looks very fit and young for his age.

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
    • SY replied:

ya i think he looks a lot much better than men his age.but his wife doesn’t aged so well.

Login or Register before you can reply to SY
      • pandamao replied:

His wife is actually aging well but whatever women next to CYF won’t look too great at their real age.

It’s like saying Chik Mei Zhen does not age well next to Michael Miu.

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
    • Michael replied:

Its the hair. These old men keep getting more hair as they age lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
    • llwy12 replied:

Haha…yup! The more Fat Gor ages, the more handsome he gets!

Though I’m not a fan of Wong Jing’s movies, I absolutely love Fat Gor (huge fan of his since the 80s) so I would likely watch this movie just for him (though it sounds like this might turn out to be another Wong Jing style raunchy comedy).

By the way…I thought the official English name for the movie was “From Vegas to Macau”? At least that’s what came out in all the press reports…

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
  2. jayne says:

Glad to see Sammy Shum and Philip Ng in the cast. Hope their exposure continues to climb.

IMO, the female star power in the film is a bit lacking.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
  3. pandamao says:

I love Chow Yun Fat. I can’t believe he still has a head full of hair. I can’t wait to watch this. I know this will be good! I remember in an interview, Wong Jing criticized Chow Yun Fat for focusing in Hollywood and neglecting Hong Kong b/c those Hollywood films did not bring out the best in Chow Yun Fat. I also agree with Wong Jing because CYF’s HK movies brought out a special magic in him. When he speaks Cantonese, he’s got so much charm!

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
    • Michael replied:

The older he gets, the more hair he has on his head. lol power of hair transplant. All the male celebs do it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
      • emily replied:

Michael don’t you know that most Chinese people don’t lose hair…. He probably just dyed it black!

Login or Register before you can reply to emily
      • Michael replied:

lol you can’t be serious Emily. lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
      • pandamao replied:

actually chinese men have hair loss problem too though …

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
      • Michael replied:

emily probably just see all the Chinese celebs have hair (transplant) and she thinks that’s the norm amongst Chinese men. If she takes a look outside, she will see lots of Chinese men lose alot of hair when they get old.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
  4. asdfjkl; says:

can someone please explain to me why chapman to is so popular? he seems to be in everything…

Login or Register before you can reply to asdfjkl;
    • bad english replied:

cause he is chapman to

Login or Register before you can reply to bad english
    • Coconut replied:

He is decent actor that can be funny or serious. Raymond Wong promote him because he is cheap labour, compare to other big cast.

Login or Register before you can reply to Coconut
    • breakfast replied:

cheap labour and maybe good communication skills like oscar leung, hongkong entertainment industry is mostly about connections

Login or Register before you can reply to breakfast
  5. Hannahh says:

Looking forward to CYF comeback and with Nicholas!

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
  6. Baby Kangaroo says:

Im looking forward to Fat Gor TVB come back.

Login or Register before you can reply to Baby Kangaroo
  7. Renshukki says:

CYF is sooo cute and look so young. I guess having some fat is not bad. Nich seems to age alot in that photo and skinny

Login or Register before you can reply to Renshukki
  8. Siro123 says:

Wow!! Sammy shum also playing a role in this WJ-movie!! Working with Nicholas and Fat Gor! 2 movie kings!!! How great!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Siro123
  9. felicity says:

Chow Yun Fat is da man!!! It’s good to see him back making HK movies as he was severely wasted in Hollywood. I love to watch CYF movies from the 80s, from the zany romantic comedies to the hardcore bullet ballet action flicks of John Woo. He’s such a friendly and humble superstar, always self-deprecating and amiable despite his status. The younger generation should learn from Mr. Chow.

Login or Register before you can reply to felicity
    • Charbydis replied:

I LOVE CYF! Onscreen and offscreen. I love his professionalism, flexibility and respect towards others. It is hard to find a superstar so modest nowadays! Hope CYF can save Wong Jing’s movie!

Love Fat Gor!

Login or Register before you can reply to Charbydis
  10. llwy12 says:

In a sense, I’m sort of glad that Wong Jing is helming the CNY movie for TVB this year rather than Eric Tsang — at least with Wong Jing, we get to see ‘big stars’ in the movie…also we will be spared from the endless parade of TVB artist cameos that Eric loved to put in his CNY movies…Wong Jing already said that since this movie is a joint collaboration with Mainland (TVB is actually only a small investor — there are like 5 other companies investing in this movie), there won’t be very many TVB artists participating in the movie.

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
  11. windy says:

wow, WTH happened to Nicholas Tse?
    is he still in his 30’s only? hahah

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
    • Michael replied:

Its just the wrong choice of shirt. If he wears a skin tight shirt, you will get wet.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
      • windy replied:

hahahaha LOL i doubt it

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
    • breakfast replied:

nothing wrong with his shirt, he looks like his dad

Login or Register before you can reply to breakfast
  12. 000 says:

Wow has it actually beeb 30 years????? I’m going to wiki that 😮 but I’m so excited for this. I love when veterans come back!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to 000
  13. oh_man says:

wtf? 2 jokers and Mr. Chow FML…

Login or Register before you can reply to oh_man
  14. holiday says:

chow yun fat was really good in the last tycoon! he’s such a good actor. can’t wait to see this!

Login or Register before you can reply to holiday