John Woo’s “The Crossing” to Release December 2

By on September 9, 2014 in Movies

Director John Woo (吳宇森) recently announced that his highly anticipated disaster epic, The Crossing <太平輪>, will be split into two movies. The first installment will open in theaters on December 2, with the second part reaching theaters on May 1 of next year.

The Crossing, which boasts a star-studded cast including Zhang Ziyi (章子怡), Takeshi Kaneshiro (金城武), Huang Xiaoming (黃曉明), Tong Dawei (佟大為), Korean actress Song Hye Kyo (宋慧喬), and Japanese actress Masami Nagasawa (長澤雅美), tells the story of three star-crossed couples, whose lives are shaken by war and disaster in the 1940s. Spanning a timeline of 60 years, The Crossing underscores the idea that love can redeem and defeat any and all difficulties.

Woo first came up with the idea for The Crossing in 2008, when he decided that he wanted to film a movie epic that would tell the shocking and hidden perils during a historic time of turmoil. However, in 2012, right before filming was scheduled to begin, Woo suddenly fell ill and had to go to America for medical treatment.

“One day when I was sitting on my hospital bed, I saw a really bad movie,” Woo shared. “I suddenly felt that I couldn’t just die like this. I couldn’t die without filming a movie that I feel would be perfect.”

Now, six years after Woo’s initial inspiration, The Crossing is ready for audiences’ eyes. With a price tag of 400 million RMB, the movie is sure to dazzle viewers with its captivating plot, richly drawn characters, and extensive special effects. In fact, Woo insisted on staying in the editing room before his body had fully recovered, in order to oversee the film’s post-production editing and ensure the highest quality.

John Woo Discusses Inspiration Behind “The Crossing”

Source: Sina.com

This article is written Joanna for JayneStars.com.

19 comments to John Woo’s “The Crossing” to Release December 2

1. Terminator says:

“Love, Faith, and Hope”!

Interesting that Woo has conspicuously stolen a page from the Christian Bible and used it as the theme for his movie.

Login or Register before you can reply to Terminator
    • msxie replied:

Woo is a devout Christian, according to an old interview.

Although love, faith and hope are not exclusive to Christianity.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
  2. jenny says:

The storyline sound so boring. Even the trailer don’t look promising. And the worst of al isl it has Huang Xiao Ming, the plastic face i hate most.

Login or Register before you can reply to jenny
  3. DramaAddict says:

This “bad movie” he watched while he was hospitalized, I wonder which movie was that. Another three months till the movie comes out…

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    • Terminator replied:

He must have watched some TVB drama and mistaken it as a movie.

Login or Register before you can reply to Terminator
      • kiwi replied:

LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • Tammy replied:

Hahahah I concur~

Login or Register before you can reply to Tammy
  4. m0m0 says:

Takeshi…as hot as ever

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
    • DramaAddict replied:

Agree!

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    • kiwi replied:

Yup, the real deal. 😀 🙁 LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
    • Tammy replied:

He gets better with age! Matter of fact, he doesn’t age! So manly and handsomeeeeeee!

Login or Register before you can reply to Tammy
  5. jj says:

Hmm, so this movie is his “perfect” movie then? I really hope so after such big promise! Lol.

@m0m0: agree, Takeshi is still so adorable after all these years!

Login or Register before you can reply to jj
  6. kiwi says:

What medication did he take while in the hospital? 😀 🙁 LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
    • darren replied:

He must have seen Red CLiff. Honestly that was a horrible movie. Heck any movie from Hongkong and China today and the past 10 years just really dreadful. I kid you not!

Login or Register before you can reply to darren
      • kiwi replied:

Okay bud. 😀 🙁 LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
  7. Tess says:

I don’t care who’s the director or the movie genre, as long as there’s Takeshi, it’s worth watching!

Login or Register before you can reply to Tess
    • DramaAddict replied:

Thumbs up! That’s what I tell myself too when I look through his movies! 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
  8. m0m0 says:

just watched the trailer…, looks boring….

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
  9. I do not know if I am a hater but every time I saw Zhang Ziyi – I do not like her acting + face. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon was a crazy good movie but Zhang Ziyi decreased its greatness by 20%

Login or Register before you can reply to [email protected]