Li Shing Cheong’s Name is Finally Known

By on January 16, 2013 in Hot Gossip!, NEWS, Star Interviews

When Ricky Wong (王維基) opened his new television station HKTV, he made it clear that all actors, leading, supporting and “green leaves” – will be important contributors to the success of his new drama station. All experienced actors, said Ricky, are difficult to come by in the television industry.

It appears that TVB has finally received Ricky’s battle call. Over the past year several years, we have seen green leaf actors, such as Koo Ming Wah (古明華), Tsui Wing (徐榮), Mak Cheung Ching (麥長青), and Raymond Chiu (趙永洪) rise to greater prominence.

Li Shing Cheong (李成昌) was among the most popular green leaf actors to get recognized last year. Along with Carol Cheng (鄭裕玲), Hui Siu Hung (許紹雄), Sunny Chan (陳錦鴻), and Chin Ka Lok (錢嘉樂), Li won the Outstanding Artist award at the 2012 TVB Anniversary Awards, his first award since joining in the industry 34 years ago. Li, or any of the Outstanding Artists, were not told beforehand that they would be given the award. Li arrived to the award ceremony thinking that he would be presenting an award.

When Li took his award, he clutched it tightly. His smile was of true happiness.

Recalling his first day of joining TVB, Li said he remembered that day very well. “I signed my first contract on October 11. It was my birthday. From having hair to having no hair… it’s been over 30 years,” said Li. “Whether or not I win an award, I will still be happy, that is, as long as I have my salary!”

Li joined TVB’s artist training class in 1979. He was a starring cast member in the sitcom, Hong Kong Eighties<香港八一至八六系列>, which ran for six seasons. He portrayed the youthful and hardworking Hong Jai, a new immigrant from mainland China.

“After playing Hong Jai, I wondered if I would ever have a chance to portray leading characters again… but it never happened. Everyone is endowed with a talent, and maybe being a leading actor is not a talent of mine.”

Li has acted in many TVB dramas in the last three decades. He was a familiar face to the audience. They knew he was Susanna Kwan’s (關菊英) lover in Heart of Greed <溏心風暴>. They knew he was Kiki Sheung’s (商天娥) menacing older brother in Rosy Business <巾幗梟雄>. But did they know his name was Li Shing Cheong? Not many of them.

“I considered changing my stage name to ‘that dude’,” Li joked. “After all, I was recognized, but my name wasn’t. Even so, I never thought of giving up. I have an addiction to acting. I tell my students at the acting class that when you join this industry, it shouldn’t be for money, nor should it be for the sake of being a celebrity. It should be because you truly like acting.”

Li’s acting itches came at a very young age. “I remember whenever my teacher is absent, our counselor would take over the class and have some students tell stories. Every time, I would be secretly wishing that she would call me. I think I was born to love acting.”

Although Li knew that he would probably never have the chance to portray a leading character again, he has discovered that portraying supporting characters can receive just as much success. “On those two episodes of my character dying in Witness Insecurity <護花危情>, King Sir (Chung King Fai 鍾景輝) came up to me and said he was very impressed. I was really happy!”

Source: ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?
Li Shing Cheong’s Name is Finally Known

• Li Shing Cheong, TVB’s Go-to "Gambling Addict" Is A Family Man(19)
  • “The Day of Days” Jumps on the Fresh Bandwagon(23)

• 31 comments to Li Shing Cheong’s Name is Finally Known

1. Bubblez says:

I love his acting. It just comes so natural! I cannot to wait to see his future dramas as well.
      I think he was also in Forensic Heroes 2 as a bad guy, but I’m not too sure. I hated his character in HOG.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    2. P. Tan says:

It’s so heartening to know that at last TVB is recognizing the worth of these “lesser” actors and ackowledging them with awards. To see their happy and grateful looks was enough to touch one that night. It is the acknowledgment that is more important than the prize itself.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
      • Victoria replied:

well said @P.Tan

Login or Register before you can reply to Victoria
    3. Mark Lim says:

Once again, the Outstanding Award winners all heavily, greatly, deserved it. As previous posted about Benz Hui, this guy is someone that TVB needs to cherish. Sure, he may not get lead roles, or win anything for that matter. But he, and the other winners, are truly brilliant actors. They are the definition of “acting”. Don’t believe me? Watch some of Li Shing Cheong and Benz Hui’s dramas. Benz Hui is universally comedic, and he brightens up any dramas. Li Shing Cheong on the other hand, can play characters that can piss you off so bad while making you appreciate his good effort. He can play anything. TVB, cherish these veterans, because once they are gone, they ain’t coming back.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mark Lim
      • Cloud9 replied:

Rosy Business 1 Bad
        Rosy Business 2 Good
        Fantastic acting on these two Rosy Business

Login or Register before you can reply to Cloud9
    4. jayne says:

Li Shing Cheong got my attention as early as “Looking Back in Anger” portraying Kiki Leung’s elder brother. Li can tackle any role and one of the under-appreciated talents at TVB.

I watched his acceptance award and very glad he was recognized last year.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • HeTieShou replied:

Yea, I remember him in the Grand Canal and even the cameo in HSDS 86. He is a great actor and I am glad that he is getting the recognition that he deserves.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • lychii04 replied:

I love TVB’s green leaf actors, especially those who’ve been around for a while. Its what makes TVB unique in my opinion.

Login or Register before you can reply to lychii04
    5. Hannah says:

I wish TVB would cherish their green-leaf actors. I feel like TVB gives out these awards to keep them from moving to Ricky’s HKTV, and not because they truly recognize their talent. Eh, it’s better than nothing I guess.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    6. Summer says:

I like him in Divas in Distress pairing with Gigi jeh. I love when they use his baldness as a gimmick all the times.

Login or Register before you can reply to Summer
    7. Sheena says:

Although he acted many roles as bad guy I still like his acting. The other one I like very much Benz Hui

Login or Register before you can reply to Sheena
    8. ebbie says:

He is good in every role!!! In fact I thought he is quite handsome too…lol.. So glad he finally get some recognition!!!
      I always remember one role he played, long ago- cant remember the title of the series: he was MiMi Choo’s boy friend, I tink it’s a police series- so hilarious- he was so good!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
      • Len replied:

It is ‘Cold Blood Warm Heart’. Love him in this series too.

Login or Register before you can reply to Len
    9. Mlove says:

That’s what I’m talking about a true actor. Every character, he does it like a pro. Tvb you better give him a raise. Cuz u sure don’t want him to leave.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mlove
    10. pepe69 says:

this guy is comedic, hilarious & multi-faceted actors. he can talk so fast with a mole..I was laughing non-stop when seen how he manipulate/casanova to Susanna Kwan in HOG with Louis Yeun… The final episode where his wig was blown away revealing he is indeed bald after cheating Suzanna is “perfect”

Login or Register before you can reply to pepe69
    11. smileyy says:

he was great in blissful Ferris wheel

Login or Register before you can reply to smileyy

I may not have known his name in the past but he was always there, like Koo Ming Wah. An amazing actor, and very very adaptable, from comedy to serious drama, from nice guy to the worst villain. Maybe except the role of emperor but he can do any role.

• sophia replied:

So true Funn Lim. He and other supporting actors should get paid more. A list actors get paid way too much but supporting actors not so much. I feel bad for them. But hey life is unfair right?

Login or Register before you can reply to sophia
    13. sandcherry says:

Agree. Li Sing Cheong is an amazing actor. He can play any roles and he did well in all his roles, good or bad, serious or comedic.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
    14. Rachel says:

i’ve always enjoyed watching Lee Sing Cheung act. even in his villain roles, he’s absolutely hilarious. he’s one of those villains you can never really hate hahaha and recently in Divas in Distress, he played a super funny character! really hope this year, him along with the other under appreciated actors will really be given the chance to shine!

Login or Register before you can reply to Rachel
      • stmlw20 replied:

Yep always enjoyed his acting as well and totally agree with ya on the fact that other actors including Lee Sing Cheung himself given the chance to shine..

Login or Register before you can reply to stmlw20
    15. Rambling Mind says:

Guys like Lee Sing Cheong were never appreciated and it’s good to see him at least getting recognised.

I believe that it’s the evergreen actors that are holding TVB up at the moment. They’ve just lost so much talent and if they’re not careful, they’ll be ATV part deux

Login or Register before you can reply to Rambling Mind
    16. Primrose says:

Amazing actor! He deserves the win. Read that he coaches the new actors/actresses at TVB.

Login or Register before you can reply to Primrose
    17. Gar says:

He is truly a versatile actor. I’m glad he finally got the recognition that he rightfully deserves for all his hard work he put in the past few decades.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
    18. AC says:

In a way, I’m glad some of the other green leaves left because the ones who stayed at TVB are becoming more cherished and well known. Happy for his award this last year!

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    19. H says:

I really enjoy watching him because even though his roles are not huge, I still notice him!

Login or Register before you can reply to H
    20. Ric says:

He’s such a great actor. I was rooting for him to win supporting actor over Michael Tse for his role in Rosy Business.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
    21. Woot says:

He’s awesome!! Love watching him and stupid TVB decides to only recognize him after being pressured – disrespectful. This person should’ve been highlighted long time ago!

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
    22. snoopy says:

Another great actor! Very happy to see him get an award. Truely deserve it! ^_^

Login or Register before you can reply to snoopy
    23. myra-belle says:

I was really happy to see him in Divas in Distress having a greater supporting role than usually the short scenes he are appearing in so many series. It is great that he got awarded, people now at least know the name when he’s having only 1 min on the screen.

Login or Register before you can reply to myra-belle
    24. asdfjkl; says:

i remember him mainly from portraying cop roles like Cold Blood, Armed Reaction, MOL.. there should be more.

hope to see him in more prominent roles

Login or Register before you can reply to asdfjkl;