Anthony Wong’s Ongoing Feud with Chapman To

By on March 21, 2014 in NEWS

Anthony Wong (黃秋生) and Chapman To (杜汶澤) are known for their hot tempers and blunt statements. The public became aware of their long-standing hostility after their recent online exchange over Hong Kong politics. Anthony revealed that he has been tolerating Chapman for a lengthy time, “Of course, many things happened between us, which is why our relations are [so poor] now. Would I just wake up and knock my own head?”

When Chapman won the Hong Kong Film Critics Society Award for Best Actor in 2012’s Diva <DIVA華麗之後>, Anthony criticized that Chapman was undeserving of the award. At that time, Chapman chose not to comment on Anthony’s remarks.

In March, one of Hong Kong’s former newspaper editor was attacked with a cleaver in broad daylight. This sparked a rally where thousands took to the streets to protest against threats to press freedom. However, Leung Chai Yan (梁齊昕) , daughter of Hong Kong Chief Executive Leung Chu Ying (梁振英) voiced doubt over the attackers’ motives, citing that the attack has nothing to do with press freedom. This drew criticisms from netizens.

Anthony and Chapman, who are known for their outspokenness, also posted their differing opinions. When Anthony launched a personal attack at Chapman, the latter chose to remain quiet and eventually announced that he would tolerate Anthony because of they share the same manager, Mani Fok (霍汶希).

Anthony retorted, “What is he tolerating? I only have two questions. He said she [Leung Chai Yan] was ignorant, so he knows a lot? He said she is cold-blooded, so how warm-blooded is he? I am not targeting him. To anyone who says these words, I will ask these two questions.” At the same time, Anthony hinted that Chapman is a man with few friends. Anthony said, “Who is friends with him? How many friends does he have in this industry? I am the last to leave him! I used to be so good to him. Of course, he did not feel that. Who’s tolerating whom? Do you know many people used to put up with him? Go and research. I can’t speak for others.”

Anthony said bluntly that he will never work with Chapman, “I don’t even like the person; why would I film with him? We can’t even communicate. I’m a terrible person, with clear lines drawn between love and hate!” However, Anthony did not extend his dislike towards Chapman’s wife, Kristal Tin (田蕊妮), and said he does not mind collaborating with her.

Wife to the Defense

Asked to comment on Chapman and Anthony’s feud, Kristal said, “I don’t feel the need to be their mediator because only when there is an exchange of words is it considered a quarrel. My husband didn’t scold him.”

When Kristal was asked if it was indeed true that Chapman has no friends in the industry, she said, “Nothing happened to them in private. It’s really hard to understand. Anthony’s English name is Anthony Wong, buthe should change his name to ‘Anything Wrong’! Don’t have to worry about Chapman.” She added, “We have always felt that we have many friends.”

Kristal also added, “I feel Hong Kong is a society that allows freedom of speech. I believe they have their own stand. Everyone is only voicing their own opinions. But I want to say this, some things are not opposites. One does not have to be warm-hearted to say someone is cold-blooded.”

Mani Fok’s Response

Chapman and Anthony are both artists managed by Emperor Motion Pictures. Their manager, Mani Fok, commented on their relationship, “I don’t feel caught in the middle. It’s about how people get along with each other. I deeply respect Anthony. Collaborating with Chapman for many years, he is like a little kid in my heart, and is one of my cherished artistes. I hope they can be friends and get along peacefully.”

Sources: ihktv.com; ihktv.com

This article is written by Karen for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?
Anthony Wong’s Ongoing Feud with Chapman To

• Chapman To Brings Woman Back Home While Kristal Tin is Away(2)
  • Kristal Tin: "I Once Hated Myself"(0)
  • Kristal Tin's Sexy Photos for Album Revealed(5)
  • Forgiving Chapman To's Infidelity Allowed Kristal Tin to Find Greater Happiness(8)
  • Kristal Tin Gives Chapman To 100 Points as a Husband(0)
  • Kristal Tin Would Be “Ordinary” Without Chapman To(4)
  • Kristal Tin Mourns Mother's Death(1)
  • 2015 TVB Anniversary Awards: Anthony Wong, Nancy Wu Crowned TV King and Queen(155)
  • Netizens Vote for TV King: Ruco Chan’s Fandom Trumps All(96)
  • TVB’s 2015 Anniversary Series Sets Tough Competition for TV King and Queen Awards(6)

• 35 comments to Anthony Wong’s Ongoing Feud with Chapman To

Login or Register before you can reply to Cinny
        • Sugar replied:

LOL agree.

Login or Register before you can reply to Sugar
      • jokes replied:

Francis Sean Lau and Nick Cheung are Anthony best friends

Login or Register before you can reply to jokes
      • HeTieShou replied:

Who does not have friends? You know the saying, Cao Tao has best friends and even Guan Gong has people who dislike him.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    2. m0m0 says:

what happened between them?

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
      • Puff replied:

Yes, what happened between them over the years that led to such a blow up in public. Actually, it’s like a schoolyard spat, both needs to grow up and move on

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
    3. hmmm says:

thought they were bff’s in intial d

Login or Register before you can reply to hmmm
    4. Samme says:

LOL Anthony Wong => “Anything Wrong”
      good one there lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Samme
      • clamine replied:

Anthony said he was the one who actually came up with that “Anything Wrong” name years ago – so that was an old hat joke.

Login or Register before you can reply to clamine
    5. windy says:

I think they are both the kind of ppl who just seems very cocky, a big attitude and i think i am all that kind of guys hahaa…LOL..so makes sense one can NOT tolerate the other. Too similar and too outspoken who thinks they are always the right ones.

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
    6. Larry 3 says:

Put these two in a TVB drama then.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
      • felicity replied:

LOL.

Login or Register before you can reply to felicity
    7. Hannahh says:

I never like Chapman

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
    8. aptos says:

I believe Chapman To tends to put his foot in his mouth before thinking…Anthony is more experienced and does stand up for what is “right”. Several months back, he had a spat with some female whom he considered was not “qualified” while vying for the same position vacated by Eric Tsang.

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
    9. anoninhk says:

argh, i don’t really like either of them but i think chapman became a swell head much too soon.

Login or Register before you can reply to anoninhk
    10. DramaAddict says:

It’s interesting how Chapman To keeps quiet and does not respond to Anthoney Wong remarks. But with Derek Wan he does’n’t sit back and take it.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
      • LINVIN8 replied:

Maybe it’s because he thinks/knows that Anthony is right (even partially). Just my opinion though.

Login or Register before you can reply to LINVIN8
        • DramaAddict replied:

Perhaps.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    11. Sand says:

I dont particularly like or dislike anyone of them but based on what i read here, i feel chapman is the bigger person here by choosing not to say anything. Choosing not to say anything doesnt mean u are in the wrong,

Login or Register before you can reply to Sand
      • DramaAddict replied:

Agree with you that “choosing not to say anything doesn’t mean that u are in the wrong.”

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    12. kolo says:

it looks like they have a father and son relationship.the father(anthony) who correct his son’s badmouthing on other ppl,and chapman keep silent and doesnt dare to speak against his “father”.i think they are just from the same coin but a different side.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
      • DramaAddict replied:

Yeah , they’re both from the same coin alright. Both hot-head men with annoying personality traits. I really like the last line you wrote.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    13. felicity says:

Anthony Wong does not suffer fools gladly. He is indeed a hothead, while the other one is a know-it-all judgemental, big mouth. Both I suspect are difficult to get along, but Chapman To irritates me more.

Login or Register before you can reply to felicity
    14. tristan says:

I think they are both very *cocky* individuals. Conceited in a way, big attitude and I think i am all that so very similar kind of in a way and sometimes these kind of ppl don’t get along. I dislike the way they both speak so i don’t know if anyone should be on their side. Of course listening to that TVB wife of his, she is obviously on husbands side but who knows what really happened between them for them to be acting out like kindergardeners now.

Login or Register before you can reply to tristan
    15. tristan says:

I think they are both very ccockyy individuals. Conceited in a way, big attitude and I think i am all that so very similar kind of in a way and sometimes these kind of ppl don’t get along. I dislike the way they both speak so i don’t know if anyone should be on their side. Of course listening to that TVB wife of his, she is obviously on husbands side but who knows what really happened between them for them to be acting out like kindergardeners now.

Login or Register before you can reply to tristan
      • tristan replied:

I think they are both very showy individuals. Conceited in a way, big attitude and I think i am all that so very similar kind of in a way and sometimes these kind of ppl don’t get along. I dislike the way they both speak so i don’t know if anyone should be on their side. Of course listening to that TVB wife of his, she is obviously on husbands side but who knows what really happened between them for them to be acting out like kindergardeners now.

Login or Register before you can reply to tristan
        • DramaAddict replied:

Agree!

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
        • DramaAddict replied:

Meant to reply to Tristan.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    16. endless says:

“How many friends does one have?”

For this matter only time will tell and who attends your wake which by than, does one really care?

Login or Register before you can reply to endless
    17. April says:

One’s hot-headed and feels the need to express every one of his displeasure to the world. Anthony Wong always make the news with his displeasure: his dispute with Astrid Chan, this.

The other behaves like a little kid in public and doesn’t really think before he speaks. Chapman To is a funny guy but honestly, sometimes he gets on people’s nerves with how he comes off during interviews and stuff.

Really not surprised that they don’t get along.

Login or Register before you can reply to April
    18. clamine says:

Chapman also recently incurred the wrath of mainland netizens with his politically incorrect FB posts. And of course Deric Wan just had to strike a blow at Chapman with his PC correct post to show to his patriotism for China. Now this is an interesting situation. Chapman challenged the netizens to keep him out of mainland China.

Login or Register before you can reply to clamine