Michael Miu and Oscar Leung Are Good Friends Despite 20-Year Gap

By on April 29, 2013 in NEWS, Star Interviews

If lovers can be more than a generation apart, so can good friends. After working closely together in several projects, including Gun Metal Grey <刑警>  and L’Escargot <缺宅男女>, 54-year-old Michael Miu (苗僑偉) and 34-year-old Oscar Leung (梁烈唯) formed a close friendship for almost 7 years.

In an interview with Oriental Weekly, Michael and wife, Jaime Chik (戚美珍) arrived early for fear of letting Oscar wait. Coincidentally, Oscar also arrived half hour early so as not to let the couple wait for him. The respect the two men have for each other is apparent not only in their consideration for each other, but also through their strong affinity.

In 2006, Michael starred as an expert poker player in Dicey Business <賭場風雲>. He remembered amusingly how Oscar was cast as the younger version of Bobby Au Yeung (歐陽震華). However, it was only after working together in Gun Metal Grey that Michael had a lasting impression of Oscar. Michael said, “In Gun Metal Grey, I had thought he was a flamboyant man, carrying old toilet paper in his pocket. It was only later that I realized he actually incorporated his own idea into his character’s personality.” Michael was impressed by Oscar’s serious work attitude despite not being cast as the first or second lead.

Jaime concurred, “Once at a karaoke session, when everyone was in a drunken slumber, this young guy still continued to sing, even though there was no one to listen to him. I thought he was a newcomer but in reality, he has been in the industry for a while.”

Despite the age difference, both Michael and Oscar shared many common interests. Whether cars, soccer, or singing, Michael and Oscar are able to have deep conversations about their favorite topics, bridging their friendship further.

Jaime and Michael’s Lasting Marriage

During the interview, Jaime also spoke about her lasting relationship with Michael. The couple has known each other for more than 30 years and married for 23 years. The secret to Michael and Jaime’s marriage is to be able to accept and tolerate each other’s weaknesses. Jaime shared, “When we were initially dating, both of us were young and stubborn. In addition, I am a girl and I would not give in to him. After so many quarrels, we found it rather meaningless and awkward. In the end, he often gave in to me. Not long, I also began to see things from his perspective, and realized that like him, I also have my own bad points.”

Oscar is Not Considering Marriage Yet

Like Michael and Jaime, Oscar and his girlfriend, Tina, have been together for more than 10 years. Admitting that he is the temperamental one in the relationship, Oscar often throws temper fits at Tina. Not only is his girlfriend able to understand his work stress, she also makes sure that the apartment they share is always clean. Despite being the chauvinist one in the relationship, Oscar has since learnt to change his ways to suit his girlfriend.

Although Oscar and Tina are in a committed relationship, they do not have immediate wedding plans yet. With his rising career, Oscar wants to focus on work first.  He revealed that his current living conditions with Tina is similar to that of a marriage, and he feels no compelling reason to get married unless they have children. Oscar still wants to see more of the world before settling down with a family.

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Karen for JayneStars.com.

13 comments to Michael Miu and Oscar Leung Are Good Friends Despite 20-Year Gap

1. Jodie says:

I like Oscar, he seems to be a really underrated actor who deserves more attention.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jodie
  2. Apple says:

I totally agree.

Login or Register before you can reply to Apple
  3. Bubblez says:

Ah, two of my favourite actors!!
    I think Michael Miu had a lasting impression when he filmed The Academy. As for Oscar, Forensic Heroes!

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    • Bubblez replied:

lasting impression on me*

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  4. RLF Lover says:

I have always admired Michael Miu and I think he’d be a great person to befriend!

I’ve also noticed Oscar Leung a lot in recent years and I’m so glad he’s finally got his big breakthrough last year. I can’t wait to see more of him and hope that his career will go a step higher 🙂 He deserves it for all the hard work and effort he’s put in.

Login or Register before you can reply to RLF Lover
  5. clear says:

very funny, since when jaynestars became a tvb political site

Login or Register before you can reply to clear
  6. lol says:

oscar gets the best promtion news its always about oscar being friends with all the big name actors first it was chi lam and aaron kwok

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
  7. Michael says:

Oscar has famous friends that have helped him throughout the years. These friends have been a great network for him. I think Oscar could do very well in the business world.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
  8. YQ says:

First noticed Michael Miu in The Academy and just fell head over heels for this old man.

As for Oscar Leung, I remember him from Shine On You and also Love Bond; both very good series for him to breakthrough.

Glad to hear Michael and Oscar gets along just like Michael and Bosco Wong! 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to YQ
    • Bubblez replied:

Haha I agree with you on Michael Miu! 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  9. Panzer says:

I think Michael Miu is the type of guy who is good friends with everyone. Pretty sure I have read articles about his friendship with Bosco and other young actors too.
    He really does play the big brother and let everything bad slide off his back in order to make everyone happy.

Login or Register before you can reply to Panzer
    • llwy12 replied:

Yup…Michael has always been that way, even back in the 80s.  I remember Felix Wong would always say how Michael was the ‘big brother’ within the 5 Tigers group and he was the one always taking the lead in terms of arranging gatherings, get-togethers, parties, etc. (makes sense, since Michael and Jamie have a huge network of friends from both the entertainment and business worlds…LOL).  That’s why I’m not surprised that Michael is able to make friends with pretty much everyone (young and old) – he has that charming, outgoing, sociable personality that people are easily attracted to…

Login or Register before you can reply to llwy12
    • Bubblez replied:

It seems that Michael Miu’s actual character is similar to the character he portrayed in The Drive of Life 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez