2011 Miss Hong Kong Pageant: First Round Interviews

By on May 12, 2011 in NEWS

The 2011 Miss Hong Kong Pageant first round of interviews was held yesterday. The quality of women were poor and several odd-looking applicants attended, such as “Long Haired Wong Cho Lam,” “Mandarin Duck G Cup ” and “Whiskers Woman. ” An applicant who resembled Li Bingbing forgot to zipper the back of her dress and grabbed media attention.

In recent years, the Miss Hong Kong pageant has been accused of producing a worsening quality of contestants. The 2010 Miss Hong Kong winner, Toby Chan, was criticized for being a “pork chop.” Yesterday, 82 applicants entered TVB to meet with executives, Virginia Lok, Stephen Chan, Lee Man Shueng, Chen Wai Ying, and the Miss Hong Kong pageant producer, Ho Siu Wai. The second round of interviews will take place next week. Although there were a large number of applicants, unfortunately the quality was more shocking than pleasing. There were few true beauties at the event.

Many applicants appeared in low-cut attire to showcase their figures and make a lasting impression. One woman boosted her chest to produce a G-cup effect, rivaling Jolin Tsai. Although the effect was attention-grabbing, the applicant had oddly different sized eyes. Other applicants attempted various tricks to stand out from the crowd. An applicant resembling Li Bingbing was reasonably attractive and wore an elegant gray dress, however, she forgot to zipper the back of her dress! “Blind Girl in Shades,” Chung Man Yan mistook the different colored carpeting for a stage. When she raised her leg to climb the invisible stage, the audience laughed.

“Long Haired Wong Cho Lam” Most Memorable

Among the odd looking applicants, there were several women who resembled less attractive versions of celebrities. A twenty-year-old beauty, known as Apple, was somewhat chubby, which detracted from her appearance. The media nicknamed her as “Sensual Stephy Tang.” Apple was accompanied by her friends and family in a 7 passenger vehicle.

One applicant known as Miss Ma possessed thick eyebrows. She was friendly until reporters asked whether she had shaved her whiskers prior to attending the interview. Miss Ma grimaced and walked away. In addition, “Long Haired Wong Cho Lam” and “MK Girl” also left lasting impressions.

Source: The Sun

Jayne: The media tends to publish photos of the non-attractive women at the first round of interviews for shock value. We’ll see the true quality of the Miss Hong Kong contestants at the Meet the Press event in a few weeks! I actually thought 3 of the applicants looked good.

114 comments to 2011 Miss Hong Kong Pageant: First Round Interviews

1. Funn says:

My god, what a bra!

Login or Register before you can reply to Funn
    • pandamao replied:

My thoughts exactly!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to pandamao
    • Chriselle replied:

I’m totally on you with this one. How come some people aren’t self-conscious? This time, it’s a good thing to be actually.

• Funn replied:

I think it was deliberate, to get attention. After all attention is all they want by joining this lame show. I hope there are prettier ones. So far all of them I would not say qualify for the pageant but then the pageant has pretty low standards.

Login or Register before you can reply to Funn
    • ita replied:

not sure if she can see her toes w/ that kind of bra. lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
    • Vivien replied:

It’s so lame!

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
      • Garry Ward replied:

This is absolutely discraceful.These ladies/girls have spent so much in preparing for this SPECIAL occassion, and to be met on stage by a bunch of morons dressed as low level clowns. WHY? HONG KONG ? is it OK to treat these contestants the same as the low presenters. Sir Run Run shaw sitting there watching his beloved company be lowered to this level is totally un acceptable. That low level grub with the white mohawk is nothing short of dog vomit. TVB JADE is a sickening demonstration of how not to support our talent. TVB OFF.

Login or Register before you can reply to Garry Ward
  2. Fox says:

Some looks good.

Wonder why there is a girl wears gauze mask. She is sick or dun want ppl to see her face?

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    • Chriselle replied:

@Fox, She’s wearing sunglasses if I’m not wrong. I feel like most of these girls don’t know how to show off themselves. It doesn’t do her much good if she’s hiding her face. Her hair is actually nicely done and cute on the top. Nice shoes and dress too.

• Fox replied:

No no, not the girl in the sunglasses. In the full list of attendance, there is a girl wore mask.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • star replied:

Yeah there was… you can see all the participants in that 2011 hk pageant video. I believe it’s on youtube on the TVB channel.

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • Chriselle replied:

@Fox, Do you happen to still have the link to the pics of all the attendees? I want to see them.

• Fox replied:

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  3. ilovehk08 says:

the girl that is wearing black and is 2nd to the last picture looks quite skinny, which makes her head look kind of big. I just think it’s not a great image for a Miss Hong Kong too be that skinny. Anyways, here’s more pics if anyone’s interested (: http://b.tvb.com/misshk/2011/05/11/《2011香港小姐競選》首輪面試/

Login or Register before you can reply to ilovehk08
    • Judy replied:

I agree, when too skinny, they almost look too child-like.

Login or Register before you can reply to Judy
    • iampheng replied:

Oh, I just noticed them too. But hasn’t skinny always been popular in HK? I’m dieting 2 years in advance for my Asia tour lol

Login or Register before you can reply to iampheng
  4. Lacey says:

Every year, the HK media is so nasty to the contestants. They should be less critical or harsh, the pageant is supposed to be a glamorous and a positive event for these women.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lacey
    • Kidd replied:

I agree with you. The media should not be so nasty. This is supposed to be a pageant that will choose a representative to represent HK in other pageant. Why give it such an ugly tone?

“Although there were a large number of applicants, unfortunately the quality was more shocking than pleasing. There were few true beauties at the event.”

I doubt that. They most probably choose the few less pleasing ones to publish for sensationalism.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • iampheng replied:

I agree, also. It’s like they get a kick out of criticizing the young women who enter. If I was reading these as a teenager, I would never enter the pageant from fear of crucification by the press!!

Login or Register before you can reply to iampheng
      • Lilly replied:

I’m 15 and I wish I could enter, but too bad I’m not an HK citizen. I know I’m prettier than those contestants

Login or Register before you can reply to Lilly
      • cinsin replied:

@Lilly, I’m sure they have a competition in you own country. They always do. If you win you can go to MCI instead

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin
    • Nina replied:

I find HK media to be very low class. They belittle the people they interview on purpose. Oh so very rude.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nina
      • exoidus replied:

it’s all about selling newspapers they have to do what’s needed. Anyway that want to participate in a pageant should be prepared for it. “be prepared to be thirsty, when eating salty fish”

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • HeTieShou replied:

I don’t understand how belittling people and criticizing them will make the papers sell better? Don’t tell me that Hk people like to see people make fun of others on purpose. If so, then I really question the mentality of the HK people…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • exoidus replied:

maybe you are right. the quality is so bad that to sell papers they have to report that there are many beauties instead haha. in the end personality is more important. who wants a beautiful girl that is totally braindead?

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • Kidd replied:

It’s Apple Daily who started this trend of reporting sensational and negative news and it sells. So, other magazines follow suit. They not only report/invent negative news, but, they also like to put the ugliest picture of celeb in their mags. :sigh:

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Fox replied:

Because ppl like to read these things than “good” stuffs.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Masaharu replied:

Yeah for some reason HK media always has low-class type of reporting and loves to degrade the artistes. I believe moreso than other Asian counterparts.

Don’t even mention about the pictures. Sometime a star can look like a youthful goddess but the other times the same star can look like an aged wrinkled granny, and the press always managed to find some “ugly” expression. Sigh too.

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
      • Funn replied:

Normal! Scandal sells, sarcasm sells. If every reports glowing reviews, no one will bother. Look at American Idol; everybody is great, everybody is good, very boring to watch.

Login or Register before you can reply to Funn
      • Kidd replied:

@ Masaharu

“I’ve also noticed that HK news always report female actresses competing for “limelight”(using bodily ‘assets’ or ‘business line’) at events instead of focusing on the event itself. How filthy.”

Yes, I’ve always dislike this kind of reporting and I hate the word ‘career line’ being used in this context. Does this imply that the success of an actress’s career is parellel to the depth of her cleavage? The more you show the high up higher up you go?

This kind of reporting made the news so vulgar. Why couldn’t the reporter just say the actress dresses elegantly and give some compliments and then focus report on the event they are supposed to be reporting? Many times, I see the actresses dress very becomingly. They look nice and the dress look nice. But, all the reporters talk about is how much cleavage and legs they show. Spoil the atmosphere.

In the trashy magazines in the US don’t report like this.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Garry Ward replied:

Nina, You put it in a few words, 100% CORRECT. These girls go through so much to try and represent Hong Kong and a chance to represent HK over seas. With nothing short of dogs vomit coming from the low level presenters. I personally find it very sickening and of the lowest lowest level This to so many girls is a very important chance in life. The dogs vomit with the white peaked hair dwark is nothing short of an insult to Hong Kong. Macau is able to show respect, why not Hong Kong ???PLEAE HK wake up and get rid of this human garbage from the screen NOW.

Login or Register before you can reply to Garry Ward
  5. cinsin says:

Miss HK pageant has gotten worse and worse each year. Most of these do not even showcase any talent. Don’t most of them “sing” in the talent section because they have no other talent to showcase?

How do these girls make it to the first interview? There must be worst contestants out there that have pushed them through. I would be very embarrassed to be made fun of because I was deemed “ugly”.

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin
    • SDS replied:

In memory, not many Miss HK were actually talented when they went on. lol so you might be exaggerating the ‘quality going downhill’ thing. Personally I can only name one handful of truly talented winners. And i mean talented in terms of acting not the circus acrobatics the ‘talent’ section is suppose to display which I think is a stupid stupid part of the show.

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
      • Vivien replied:

Someone did a hulla hoop performance during the talent section but I think it was in MCI

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
    • Fox replied:

Most of them sing or dance or act. Rarely have girls play instruments.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • cinsin replied:

when they play an instrument usually it’s the piano which their parents would’ve forced them to learn from the age of 3 and every other girl probably would showcase the same thing.

I remember one year one of the girls did a part from the musical Chicago. Omg I wanted to shoot her. She couldn’t dance nor sing. Why try both at the same time???

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin
      • Fox replied:

If I rmb rite, Leanne Li played flute

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  6. Kidd says:

The girl in blue blouse looks like Siu Yee.
    The most beautiful is the girl in pink.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • cinsin replied:

Haha Siu Yee without the mushroom hair! I didn’t notice that.

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin
    • Chriselle replied:

She does look like Siu Yee. Siu Yee is cute even though she’s super short, but how this girl even made it into the first-round of interviews is beyond me. Must have an amazing personality let me guess…

• iampheng replied:

Do you know Siu Yee’s height? I’ve always been curious because she looks so tiny compared to other actors on screen. I suspect she’s closer to my height [155 cm] it’s just that everyone else is so tall.

Login or Register before you can reply to iampheng
      • Chriselle replied:

@iampheng, One source points out that she’s 148 cm, which is equivalent to 4’9 ft. Therefore, you’re even taller than her. 😀

• iampheng replied:

@Chriselle, thanks ROFL!!!! I can’t believe she’s that short haha!

Login or Register before you can reply to iampheng
      • Garry Ward replied:

Probably plays a flute, or a mouth organ, or a up-right organ well. Dont know the girl myself personally.

Login or Register before you can reply to Garry Ward
  7. Aly says:

Hmm, I agree the media always likes to present the contestants in such a negative light! Every year they do this to generate attention. However, I do think that the overall quality of the girls these past few years have gone down. It’s become less interesting to me in recent years and I’ve always been a fan of the pageant. Last year’s batch was ok, but the 3 winners were not my faves at all. I think the last time I somewhat agreed with the results was in 2006 when Aimee Chan won! I liked her, Janet, and Koni although I think Koni should have placed 2nd instead. Suki was pretty too but she came across as a bit snobbish and did not have a great performance.
    From the above pics, I think the girl in hot pink looks decent, along with the girl in the middle in the second row. Too me, they look the best in this batch. The rest are, well no comment for now. The first girl in black with the huge boobs kind of reminds me of Erica Yuen’s face back in 2005 for some reason. I think it’s the big eyes and she purposely pops it out so it looks bigger, lol!

Login or Register before you can reply to Aly
  8. Chriselle says:

Lol, these girls are very scary in various ways… Eek.

9. SDS says:

Most the time, the Miss HK look better in other attire after the pageant. I think Selena Li is the best example in my memory although she didn’t rank.

There are exceptions. Kayi Cheung of 07 looks the same lol whereas the first runner up Grace Wong looks much better now than then.

All of this is subjective I admit. Personally I think the best decider of the ‘talent’ part of the pageant night is how well each lady can converse with Eric Tsang and not be bullied into submission!

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
    • cinsin replied:

I have to agree. I used to think Charmaine was not very pretty when she first won second runner up. But now she looks better with age. Same with Linda, Myolie and all the bigger actresses. Shows that make-up and the ageing process can help lol

Also when they’re made to wear the ridiculous matching outfits and have their hair set a certain way it isn’t very flattering. Hence when you look at their profile photos and you look at them now, they look completely different.

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin
      • Chriselle replied:

@cinsin, Lol, actually I think the opposite. Charmaine was prettier and more youthful during her MHK days, but her style has evolved. Although she doesn’t age well, she has the confidence and charm which is showcased by her success and that’s beauty… 😀

However, I agree that Myolie and many others looks better now as they’ve founded their own style. Myolie had too much baby fat back then. Also, short hair suits her so well. I really wish she would cut it shorter again. Loved her hair in The Rippling Blossom. 😀

If today’s winners stays in the entertainment industry for long enough to develop their careers, in time, they will discover their looks and which style suits them best.

Haha, but Aimee goes against the norm and despite being a rising actress in TVB, she doesn’t care much about the way she looks. She still doesn’t have her own distinct style and still shows up at functions wearing jeans.

• SDS replied:

I think her style is the bob cut. lol

Not many Miss HKs’ do the short hair look. By doing that she’s limiting herself in a few girl-next-door type roles. Perhaps it was her motive.

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
  10. ita says:

used to love watch beauty pageant when i was a kid. As i get older i feel it is degrading for woman. Walk around in bikini and get judged, by the way what is that got to do w/ personality or talent. Now to make it even worst, some crazy mom put their toddlers to compete in Child Beauty Pageant. Back to the topic, A bit curious how some of these girls can pass to 1st round interview.

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
    • Pvt. Joker replied:

the last real beauty when i was watching it back in the day was Anita Yuen – boy did I have a huge crush on her. Now these days it’s pretty meh…

Login or Register before you can reply to Pvt. Joker
  11. Chriselle says:

@ita, Those were exactly my wonders as well. 😉

Since it’s a beauty pageant, it makes sense that they would judge on appearance and body. That’s fair game.

But in the recent years, I heard that it’s about educational background as well. I feel like as long as they have had graduated from high school and maybe have some college, they should be considered as opposed to needing some sort of degree. I don’t understand why they need their college degree either since they’re going to act for TVB anyway. The only reason I can come up with is that it’s more prestigious for overseas people to know that these winners are educated. Education is important in today’s society.

I’m not sure about other pageants, but MHK focuses on both personality (intelligence) and beauty. In recent years, the winners have been average looking at the most. Most of the time there are prettier contestants. For example, Elle Lee was a hotshot last year and many deemed her one of the prettiest, yet Toby won. Eric mentioned that she was well-rounded.

At the end of the day, I still feel like beauty should precede over personality/intelligence for a beauty pageant since everyone is going to judge by beauty anyway. Of course, personality is very important as well. As long as the winner isn’t dumb, I would prefer to have someone more beautiful, but doesn’t have to be the smartest of the contestants. The smartest can be the runner-ups.

I haven’t watched the older pageant shows, but I was wondering if Michele Reis, who is deemed the most beautiful, had a wonderful personality during the show and shined during her interviews??

• SDS replied:

Ughhh. She was pleasant. Nothing special. But her looks definitely eclipsed everyone else there. However I think her beauty has been a bit exaggerated over time. I’ve always found her beauty to be kinda stiff. She looks more elegant than vibrant if you get what I mean.

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
      • exoidus replied:

LOL she might even win today considering the lousy competition 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  12. cinsin says:

Also just wanted to add, hasn’t the recent winners/runner ups are all from overseas? I hate that they “recruit” overseas. Kinda defeats the point. So most of the girls we see in the upcoming interviews probably wouldn’t matter as they have a low chance of winning the title.

I always cringe when some girls don’t even speak the language. I used to remember when all Eric Tsang ever did was make fun of them and ogle at them in their swimsuits.

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin

@cinsin, Let’s see.

2001, Shirley – HK
      2002, Tiffany – overseas, she studied at UC Davis
      2003, Mandy – although she studied temporarily in the U.S., she lived in HK, but I believe she was recruited overseas
      2004, Kate – HK, but she studied in UC Davis
      2005, Tracy – HK
      2006, Aimee – overseas, Canada
      2007, Kayi – overseas, Canada
      2008, Edelweiss – HK
      2009, Sandy – she studied in London, but her parents lived in HK. I’m not sure whether she returned from London to join HK recruitment
      2010, Toby – HK

We can’t really differentiate between overseas and HK because many HK people studies overseas anyway. However, I believe Tiffany, Aimme, and Kayi truly grown-up overseas. The rest stayed overseas only temporarily.

I don’t like their lack of fluency in Cantonese either, yet my favorite segment is Eric questioning them because he always makes me laugh. 😀

• star replied:

Aimee Chan was definitely overseas. Aimee competed in the Miss Chinese Toronto Pageant before she competed in the HK one. I believe because she lost in the Miss Chinese Toronto one she decided to try it in hong kong, and she actually won. That kind of shows that HK pageant has lower standards? If anyone ever watched chinese pageant contest in other places like Vancouver or Toronto, it is quite competitive, the standards are high, and most of the girls are very pretty.

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • Selena replied:

Mandy was born in the US.

Login or Register before you can reply to Selena
      • HeTieShou replied:

Well a lot of them have to come from overseas since HK is lacking in beauties as we can see. Also, even with overseas coming over, it doesn’t seem to help muchch since the really beautiful ones don’t want to join the pageant…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • cinsin replied:

@Star, totally agree with you about standards of other pageants being higher. If anyone has seen the US pageants. The girls are GORGEOUS! As in every single one!

Wheras the HK pageant, they always look so average and most can’t even answer the interview questions. Now I know why we haven’t sent anymore contestants to Miss Universe since Sonja Kwok.

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin
  13. FanWen says:

Miss HK contestants and the pageant in overall just gets worse as the years go by., These girls look like they work in behind the scenes for TVB rather than being a contestant for the pageant.

Login or Register before you can reply to FanWen
    • exoidus replied:

LOL i kinda agree with you. Don’t feel attracted to any of these girls. Is this miss hk or hk got talent 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  14. Pineapple says:

I find that the last few years the contestants for Miss HK has got worse and worse. I just don’t understand why prettier girls don’t go in for it and yet the ugly ones do!

It is very rare to find a real Miss HK beauty like Sonija Kwok nowadays! Maybe I am being biased as I am also a fan of hers.

Login or Register before you can reply to Pineapple
    • SDS replied:

If I recall correctly there was a lot of hate floating around when Sonija Kwok won in her year.

And there’s still a lot of people that don’t find her attractive in any way.

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
    • Jayne replied:

Pineapple,
      Sonija Kwok was indeed very beautiful when she won Miss Hong Kong. More beautiful women tend to go into modeling nowadays and some willing to show more skin, go the lengmo route. There are more channels to enter the entertainment industry for HK women nowadays than 10 years ago.

If the women are beautiful enough to become models, they can start earning money quickly, rather than have to compete in the Miss HK pageant and have to win to get more attention.

Miss HK is a great way for overseas candidates to enter the TVB circle though. Imagine if you have the looks and wanted to be an artist, this would be the quickest route to put your face and name out there. Joining the TVB contest also requires interest to act at the studio, which may not be as appealing for someone who may make more money modelling initially. It really depends on the goal of the contestant and what she wants.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jayne
      • star replied:

I think it is the easiest route to become an artist by joining the HK pageant. There are many artist in TVB now that didn’t even win the runnerups but is already working for TVB!

That is probably the reason why Aimee Chan decided to compete in the Hong Kong Pageant. I remember she competed in the Miss Chinese Toronto one but lost.

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • exoidus replied:

for many women the goal for joining the entertainment industry is to find herself a rich husband so winning the pageant or not is secondary.

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • cinsin replied:

@Star, Aimee Chan wasn’t the only one that lost a pageant in their own home city. Kayi Cheung competed in a pageant 3 years before she competed in Miss HK and won.

@Jayne, it’s very true some girls from overseas compete to get their foot in the door. Since TVB seems to really like ABCs. One Miss HK Cerina De Gracia comes to mind. She left TVB and is now in LA promoting herself. Most of her work on her profile are the series she did with TVB but has been successful in finding theatre jobs with just that. So it really shows that as long as you have experience and are willing to try and break into the US market you can.

Login or Register before you can reply to cinsin
    • star replied:

I like Kate Tsui the most, she has become more beautiful than then.

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • star replied:

Tbh, I think Kate Tsui has the total package, no matter how much some people dislike her. I’m not talking about acting/singing wise. Kate Tsui is like the total package for a pageant, and I am sure she will win again considering the standards now.

Kate Tsui:
        – she’s pretty
        – her IQ is pretty high (she responds to questions pretty well if you watch most of her interviews throughout the yrs)
        – She has talent (can dance)
        – love and caring
        – I personally like her personality.

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • exoidus replied:

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • Vivien replied:

Kate always has the look of a scary woman who will seduce men. I dont know why.

That’s why she’s most suitable to be the scheming and seductive older sister Qin Sam in ROE.

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
      • Kidd replied:

“answering her question well does not mean that she has high IQ! Could mean she is a cold and calculating person that thinks alot before answering. Not that it’s a bad thing.

One need to have a certain amount of intelligent to be able to answer questions well. So, answering questions well does show one is intelligent and high EQ.

You are pretty calculating in your comment too. Bash first, then, end with some good words to make you seem like you are not bashing.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • exoidus replied:

kidd: LOL seriously i just think you don’t need to be very intelligent to answer your Q well. There are some very smart people that can’t actually communicate properly. Maybe she has high EQ, but there is no indication that she is high IQ. Ofcourse it depends how you view high IQ in the first place.

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • star replied:

@exoidus: lol… she doesn’t think that long to answer her questions =P. Depending on how a person responds to questions does show how intelligent they are, why do you think there are the “questioning” part in pageants? It tests how well you speak, and how fast their thinking is. I think Charmaine has high IQ/EQ as well, other people have stated that as well :3

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • star replied:

There are people who are like socially awkward, shy, or hates speaking.. but if you diss or ask them something, they’ll respond with a comeback that will make you speechless. If that ain’t smart I don’t know what is. IQ is something someone is born with, not necessarily how well they do in school.

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • exoidus replied:

star: oki so she’s witty however not intelligent. although she seems pleasant in her interviews i personally get a “bad” vibe” from her that scares me LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • Kidd replied:

@ exoidus

Why is she witty but not intelligent?

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • star replied:

@exoidus: haha, well not surprising. Many people find Kate uhmm.. like, they just don’t really like her for their own reasons. But you know who isn’t very smart in their interviews? Mavis Pan. LOL. Her answers are just so stupid.. maybe just trying to get attention.

Login or Register before you can reply to star
      • exoidus replied:

star: maybe she is just pretending to be stupid. she is not that stupid since she got attention i.e. reachd her goal. But yes i personally think she’s not that smart 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • Funn Lim replied:

You mean during the pageant? Ok maybe something to do with IQ, as in ability to memorise. Answers are given anyway. All they need is to answer it credibly, as if they just thought of the answer is 5 seconds.

Kate Tsui has total package? Not as an actress though. She is still scary looking.

• Aly replied:

@Funn,
        Do you know how the Q&A section works? Are all the questions given in advance, and the contestants just be prepared to be asked any of them? I know some contestants have canned answers like 2nd runner up Chong Si Ming last year ( I blanked out on her English name suddenly) but couldn’t answer the rebuttals well. I always wonder how that worked. I’ve always thought the contestants that had “hau toi” were able to somehow get some “tips” in advance, but I wonder if all questions are revealed in advance? Then that’s easy to prep for. It’s knowing how to respond to Eric’s and Nat’s challenging questions that would truly show their intelligence and EQ.

Login or Register before you can reply to Aly
      • Funn Lim replied:

Officially, it is supposed to be surprise questions to test the verbal intelligence and opinion of the contestants. In reality, I believe some of the contestants are coached. I mean all are coached as to how to behave, to stand, to approach a question but I believe some are coached as is well prepared with questions and answers. Some are undeniably intelligent, some aren’t, but the ability to answer is not just about IQs but rather your ability to carry yourself well. I won’t dispute that, but since I have no proof, I can only say some are coached.

• HeTieShou replied:

I don’t think Kate is that great, but compared to these girls she is definately a lot better…

I don’t think answering a question well depends on your IQ. It also depends on which question is being asked. Sometimes a contestant is being asked a hard question while there are other contestants that are being asked easier questions. I think it is a matter of whether you are able to think on your feet or not rather than how high your IQ is…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Chriselle replied:

Although I don’t think the questions are given to them in advance, they are certainly more prepared to tackle the interview questions Eric pose to them. During their two month training period, TVB arrange for professors and experts from various fields to come in and teach them various kills to prepare them for the final night. However, that has been failing in recent years as contestants doesn’t seem as quick-witted and elegant when they’re answering their questions.

Since there are usually only one real interview segment during the show (there use to be at least 2 in the past), it’s not a good way to access whether it determines IQ or not. But the way they carry themselves can give us a general idea of how witty they are in their replies.

Also, I wish they would come up with more intelligent questions. I remember in 2005, they’re questions were very sexual. Erica Yuen, who became a finalist that year, also criticized TVB for their stupid questions.

• Kidd replied:

I don’t think the questions are given in advance. Even if they are, they are not given to everyone. I just rewatch Kate Tsui’s Q & A session. From the way she responded, it didn’t seem like a pre-prepared answer.

I think if it’s pre-prepared, her answer would have been much smoother and more well thought out. It really seems like she thought of the answer on the spot.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • Chriselle replied:

Sonija is indeed very pretty even though she doesn’t age too well these days. I feel that the prettest MHKs are mixed and from overseas, e.g., Michele Reis, Sonija Kwok, Cerina Da Garcia, Victoria Jolly. Are there anymore?

Although it’s a HK pageant, I like how they have had some western influence to balance out that conservativeness and I feel that they have a certain level of intelligence.

• Kidd replied:

You just like the Caucasian/Eurasian look. 😀

Besides Sonija and Cerina, I also find the following beautiful

Elizabeth Lee
        Olivia Cheng
        Anita Yuen
        Amy Kwok
        Maggie Cheung Ho Yi
        Tse Ling
        Cherrie Chung
        Angie Chiu
        Lee San San

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • HeTieShou replied:

I don’t think that they need to be mixed in order to look pretty unless you like the Eurasian look.

The other ones that I find pretty are:
        -Angie Chiu
        -Pauline Yeung
        -Tse Ning
        -Anita Yuen Wing Yee
        -Halina Tam
        -Emily Lo
        -Amy Kwok
        -Wing Lam

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Chriselle replied:

@Kidd, HTS, Haha, I admit I like the Eurasian look. It’s much more unique to me. 😀

Angie Chiu does have a beautiful look. Anita Yuen and Halina Tam are pretty as well.

I love Amy Kwok, but she’s never been pretty. I find her mouth and smile too big.

• Funn Lim replied:

Elizabeth Lee. Beautiful. With a name to match her beauty. Isn’t she considered the prettiest of Miss HKs? Or someone else?

• Vivien replied:

I don’t think Amy Kwok is pretty too.

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
      • Kidd replied:

@ Funn

“Amy Kwok may not be the prettiest but she is the smartest with her MBA if I remember correctly.”

Not MBA. Master’s Degree in Engineering.

And I heard that she has double master degree.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • P replied:

Amy looked prettier right after she won cuz she had more meat on her face. Now she’s too bony like Kenix Kwok

Login or Register before you can reply to P
      • Chriselle replied:

@P, You’re right, she’s way too bony nowadays. But even back in A Trust of a Lifetime, she was already very skinny. Amy can be cute with her smiles and twinkle in her eyes at times; however, in general, she’s not beautiful. I haven’t seen her in recent pics and I would assume she’s aged. Kenix could gain a little bit more weight and still look pretty.

15. star says:

lol at the picture of the girl with the big bra…. she’s only embarrassing herself =.=

Login or Register before you can reply to star
    • HeTieShou replied:

Oh gosh the big bra is such a joke. I can’t believe that she doesn’t mind embarrassing herself like that. Does she even have any face left??

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  16. JN says:

OMG! Where are all the true beauties for the Pageant? These ladies are ugly!!! I cannot control my laugh at the picture of the girl with the BIG BRA! LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to JN
    • Garry Ward replied:

Thats not nice JN !! Yes the girls are not all that attractive, but the actual Miss HK show is an absolute shambles any way. TVB should be kicked really hard, as this type of garbage is also sent over seas for HK expats to see and cringe. These low level programs should be destroyed the even after the idiot, low life presenters finish belittling these girls. WELCOME TO HONG KONG ENTERTAINMENT. YUK YUK.

Login or Register before you can reply to Garry Ward
  17. HeTieShou says:

Oh my goodness!!! YOu must be kidding me… These ladies are pretty ugly. But then again, the pageant is not all about looks right? I think the MS. HK pageant is now a big joke and there are no more pretty ladies that want to in this pageant or join the circle. THe ones that are pretty don’t want to join the pageant or become an actress. I guess the circle is not for everyone.

Many of the contestants have to come from overseas since HK already lacks beauties. I guess ones from overseas also lack beauty and other things but just want attention and maybe a chance to join TVB.

I really lament the old days where the contestants were not only pretty and elegant but also had some class as well… What has become of TVB and the MS. HK pageant???

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  18. Larry 3 says:

Is this is an early Halloween Party press conference?

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  19. alexchen says:

all look like porkchops

Login or Register before you can reply to alexchen
  20. rachaelxue says:

i agree all porkchops

Login or Register before you can reply to rachaelxue
  21. EkinFan says:

wheres the li bingbing look alike? she should be hot

Login or Register before you can reply to EkinFan
  22. Funn says:

Still can’t get over that bra. She certainly got the attention she wanted.

Login or Register before you can reply to Funn
  23. Kidd says:

I’ll support the Siu Yee lookalike because I like Siu Yee. 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  24. EkinFan says:

man, I bet some of you girls look better… jesus although that’s not saying much

Login or Register before you can reply to EkinFan
  25. Kidd says:

Update on Marianne Chan. It’s seems she’s doing very well in her business. She won the World Outstanding Chinese Award in 2005.

Don’t know how she is now. That news already 5 years old. Don’t know if she’s married now.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • Chriselle replied:

Thanks for the update. The title of the awards sound prestigious. What type of business is she invested in?

• Funn Lim replied:

I believe beauty products?

Wasn’t she involved with some slimming products?

• Garry Ward replied:

I heard she was a fashion designer of clothes for animals and TV presenters. She may also be into beauty products for animals and TV presenters as well. It works OK on the animals but not all that well on the animal presenters, of Ms HK.
        HK needs to have a look at how Macau does these things so well !!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Garry Ward
  26. Garry Ward says:

WEL WELL WELL, #5 pulled it off !! Why wasnt the idiot, dogs vomit dwarf not the one to put her crown on ??

Login or Register before you can reply to Garry Ward
  27. Vivien says:

Is the full results available yet?

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien