Edwin Siu’s Career Spikes After Exodus of TVB Stars

By on August 10, 2014 in NEWS

Edwin Siu (蕭正楠), Ruco Chan (陳展鵬), Benjamin Yuen (袁偉豪), and Matthew Ko (高鈞賢) recently attended a charity ball, where they modeled clothes by Hong Kong designer Dorian Ho (何國鉦). With TVB’s exodus of stars, it has been reported that TVB is interested in promoting Edwin Siu’s stardom to newer heights.

Edwin said he is very happy to hear that TVB is giving him more opportunities. “In the past few years, I’ve also realized that my roles have become heavier. Last year, there was Brother’s Keeper <巨輪>, and this year, I got to star in [Madam Cutie On Duty <師奶Madam>] as its male lead. I am very thankful to the company and I will continue to do my best and work hard.”

Edwin said he tries not to become too stressed about his increasing workload, and approaches it with a relaxed mindset. Edwin currently has four dramas that are awaiting for release.

Mentioning that Kevin Cheng (鄭嘉穎) has voiced out his support for Edwin to be TVB’s next top siu sang, Edwin smiled and said, “I am truly, very happy. Kevin and I grew close after working on Gloves Come Off <拳王> together and I’m very thankful for his support. I’ll work hard.”

Reporters suggested that his girlfriend, Priscilla Wong (黃翠如), may have brought good luck to his career. Edwin appeared embarrassed at the mention of Priscilla and said, “We are all working hard. She is also doing well with her work and received many endorsement offers. You can say that I brought good luck to her career too!”

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

48 comments to Edwin Siu’s Career Spikes After Exodus of TVB Stars

1. Tess says:

Well, I can see Edwin and Ruco to be the next big thing after Raymond’s departure. Honestly, he can sing and act! All the best to him!

Login or Register before you can reply to Tess
    • m0m0 replied:

i agree. he’s got the looks and he acts well too. i like his villain roles, he’s got charisma in those roles the most.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
    • Andrew replied:

Very nice to read another praise towards him lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Andrew
  2. Andrew says:

Ruco will perform well and shine in the future! I have high hopes for him. The other tvb actors can’t really act nowadays….. Maybe Michael Miu is a little better.

Login or Register before you can reply to Andrew
    • Rita Ng replied:

I agree. Ruco acts well, sings well, and handsome. He’s really a rare gem. Edwin sings well but his acting is just so so, he’s also good looking but not as manly and hot as Ruco.

Login or Register before you can reply to Rita Ng
      • Funn Lim replied:

Edwin is more of a joker, that sort of crazy friend or goofy boyfriend. Totally different personality but that being said, Edwin is not as good as actor his fans may think but he is not Jason Chan so thank god for that. I think China made him into an OTT actor, he needs to control himself if not he should belong in theatre where so far away he needs to be more expressive.

Ruco is not so hot these days; too thin, almost like how he was in ROE. I worry for him. He needs to “muscle” up a bit if not he will look more fragile than Edwin.

• Andrew replied:

Yes Rita!!

As for Ruco not looking muscular, I don’t think so(?). He goes to the gym from time to time. I guess it’s because he needs to film a new drama recently and shrunken significantly.

Login or Register before you can reply to Andrew
      • choco-bunny replied:

Ruco has lost some weight lately but still looks hot! His acting is miles above Edwin who has a tendency to overact. But Edwin is miles better than guys like Jason, Him, Oscar, Benjamin, Sammy and all those other wannabes.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
      • Andrew replied:

You are so right Choco!

Login or Register before you can reply to Andrew
      • Toby replied:

TVB now start giving lead roles to Him, Jason and Sammy. Highly promoting them.

Login or Register before you can reply to Toby
      • choco-bunny replied:

Yeah, I’m going to skip all of those!

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
      • Funn Lim replied:

“But Edwin is miles better than guys like Jason, Him, Oscar, Benjamin, Sammy and all those other wannabes.”

Sorry but Him however he is not well liked or pretentious is actually a good actor. Sammy Shum is on his way to be a great actor. He already has this chameleon-like ability. Oscar is dependable when he is required to do so. I will add Louise Cheung as one of the best new talent (for me) and don’t forget Vincent (finally!!), Jonathan Cheung (on his way). These people are miles away from Edwin in terms of ability, and I especially like Louise Cheung but admittedly Sammy has one advanatage; he is better looking. However these actors (not including Oscar who is more of a work horse) has natural charisma. There are some others who are perpetually 3rd liners, young enough to grow and have enough gravitas to play important characters but not much chance given for whatever reason.

Jason… is the worst. But if he can learn and grow and whatever, he has the potential. I mean for god’s sake, why can’t the man who speaks with an English accent act?!??!

• choco-bunny replied:

Funn, thx for yr input to my comment but I’d appreciate it more if you didn’t come off sounding all knowing and pompous and practically telling me I’m wrong (maybe unintentional). Out of those you mentioned i only like Louis Cheung and that’s becos he did a good job in BK. All i can say is to each his own. In fact i like none of the others you mentioned (besides Louis) but I’m not going to shoot down yr comments.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
      • Funn Lim replied:

Wow choco-bunny, the pot calling the kettle black. Just wow. I am not “practically telling me I’m wrong” but rather it is an opinion, as much as your sweeping statement “But Edwin is miles better than guys like Jason, Him, Oscar, Benjamin, Sammy and all those other wannabes” which I am sure some of their fans won’t appreciate but none would come out and say “but I’d appreciate it more if you didn’t come off sounding all knowing and pompous and practically telling me I’m wrong”.

• choco-bunny replied:

Funn i can see that you’ve forgotten yr brushes with a certain teeveebee fan who took issue with yr pompousness. Ok to those people whose fans i may hv offended, pl let me clarify that the opinion stated is my own and in no way am i the all knowing talent scout that someone thinks herself to be. You don’t need to comment as a reply to me. Just state what you want to say without shooting down other people. Learn to be more humble and not act like the absolute authority and Ms Know All.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
      • Funn Lim replied:

teeveebee fan took issues with everything I said not for the contents but me as a person and I see no pompousness. Which is why I said in another post comments about artistes’ work, who is better etc etc is a matter of opinion. If people deem my opinion pompous, frankly I can do nothing about that. It remains an opinion.

• Funn Lim replied:

choco-bunny, I mean no offense to you but if you feel offended with how I said it, then the person with issue is you, not me.

• Kidd replied:

@choco-bunny

Someone wil most probably call me Funn’s lackey or Funn’s fan, but, I still want to say this.

Funn is just disagreeing with you. She’s not shooting you down or making you feel stupid or something like that. No need to get all hurt and angry about it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • choco-bunny replied:

Funn, i don’t mind you having a different opinion of cos. Just don’t like the way you put yr points across like your opinion is superior to others. I’m not the one with issue, there’re many others before me who made the same comments about you. The person with issue is you if you see nothing wrong with the way you voice yr opinions.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
      • choco-bunny replied:

Kidd, i don’t mind Funn disagreeing with me. It’s the way she puts it across that’s offending. I’m not the first and only person to say this about her.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
      • Late replied:

I feel Funn is pompous and condescending too. But that’s her.

Login or Register before you can reply to Late
      • Late replied:

Although I don’t think her comment this time was rude. She has ruder moments. But then again, that’s her.

Login or Register before you can reply to Late
    • Toby replied:

I agree Ruco is the only one in TVB now that can act. Everyone else are bad. I don’t get why TVB still not promoting him but are promoting useless Jason Chan and Oscar Leung.

Login or Register before you can reply to Toby
      • Andrew replied:

They are promoting Ruco but on a slow basis. But yes, tvb lacks talent to promote. Promoting Oscar and Jason are not bright moves……

Login or Register before you can reply to Andrew
      • Rita Ng replied:

I think TVB and Ruco are discussing about his renewal. Once he signs the contract, TVB will promote him. Also, please correct me if I am wrong that Kevin Cheng did not mention Edwin in the previous news that he supported RL for leaving TVB ” He said he looks forward to see the likes of Ruco Chan (陳展鵬), Kenneth Ma (馬國明), and Raymond Cho (曹永廉) rising in the ranks.

Login or Register before you can reply to Rita Ng
      • Lol replied:

Agree Ruco the one that can truly act.. Don’t get why tvb promoting ma Ming over ruco

Login or Register before you can reply to Lol
      • Lol replied:

Ruco the best better then Wayne and moses

Login or Register before you can reply to Lol
      • Andrew replied:

Maybe because tvb is lacking talent. Ma ming received many resources and has been in the field for over 10 yrs. Suddenly not promoting him may not be a smart move and will cost TVB a lot of money. And it’s risky to promote a newcomer within a short amount of time so TVB is playing it safe.

Ma ming also has that good boy image which gets into households nowadays.

As for Rita’s question, I think it’s because kevin didn’t work with Edwin before. This is also a reason why Moses complimented Jason when public opinion suggests Jason is a bad actor. He’s handsome but his acting needs major improvement. I would suggest Jason to go for some acting lessons and stick to hosting for now.

Login or Register before you can reply to Andrew
      • Funn Lim replied:

I always got the impression Ruco is more famous out of HK than in HK.

• Jacintha replied:

I think TVB using strategic move. If Ruco gets too famous he may request for higher pay and might not renew his contract if the agreement is not favor to his terms.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jacintha
      • lysupruco replied:

I just want to say that Ruco is the only one that attracts my attention in TVB. I have been addicted to him as an actor and yesterday as a racer??? He can act, sing and is sporty and very attractive. I lost interests in other actors, but don’t know why?

Login or Register before you can reply to lysupruco
      • Jaylee replied:

I don’t think Oscar is “useless”. I think he’s a great actor, he’s just not lead role material. I think he’s great at supporting roles (except The Ultimate Addiction, that was terrible). But yes, we can all agree Jason Chan is one of TVB’s worse ATM

Login or Register before you can reply to Jaylee
    • Cheung Wing Hong replied:

Get a room, loverboys

Login or Register before you can reply to Cheung Wing Hong
  3. Toby says:

So it’s clear that TVB will push Edwin and Ruco to the top. Ruco is much better than Edwin. Edwin acting not that good always OTT like trying to outshadow others and also not much of a looker. Ruco is acting powerhead and more hotter.

Login or Register before you can reply to Toby
    • Andrew replied:

Agree!

Login or Register before you can reply to Andrew
    • kiwi replied:

Agreed! Edwin Sui is just yum yum sup sup. 😀 🙁 LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
  4. Anna says:

To be honest I really think that Edwin and Ruco has potential to be the next TVB kings. Their acting is pretty good and not annoying. Ruco is also handsome and sings well

Login or Register before you can reply to Anna
    • Baggy replied:

Actually, I think tv king should have been given to Kenneth ma

Login or Register before you can reply to Baggy
      • choco-bunny replied:

Ir you’re talking about seniority in TVB, perhaps. But if based solely on acting skills, it’ll be Ruco before these 2 IMO.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
  5. well….i think that edwin siu is quite good at acting since like last year he filmed the “brother’s keeper” eveyone loved watching it!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to afterschool17
    • Baggy replied:

Totally agree with u

Login or Register before you can reply to Baggy
    • choco-bunny replied:

I think it was Ruco who carried the BK drama not Edwin. He got shortlisted in the Top 5 for TVB TV King for his role as Sam not Edwin.

Login or Register before you can reply to choco-bunny
  6. Moncheri says:

Woowhee! Nice. Heated competition between male leads and we’re not even close yet to the award ceremony? Nice! We usually see passionate contests between fadans but not so much with siusungs. Great to see rivalry already.

Now, as to the debate going on with Edwin – he was a good actor even before he returned to TVB. He’d probably be #1 in the station next to Moses and Wayne by now if not due to his behavior previously. But all in all, a good, can-be-great actor with lots of potential.

Same with Ruco though you cant really compare the two. Ruco has a lot more experience under his belt. Him and Edwin will be placed side by side on the siusung board though I dont think that’s fair to either one.

I’m actually looking forward more towards Louis Cheung. He’s so natural as a lead. And same for Jonathan Cheung – though i think Jonathan still need to grow. I honestly think his babyface hinders his progress. But he does have potential.

Login or Register before you can reply to Moncheri
  7. Alluka says:

I rmb the first time I saw Edwin in Aqua heroes, I wondered how can a bad actor like that can be a lead. I later found out he was a singer.

After a while I saw him in TVB. He improved a lot. And I start to notice him. His face is pleasure and his expressions are very ok. Then the impression I had with Aqua heroes fades away.

But to put him as rookies, well, I still find it is funny of TVB to have old siu sang, fadans. They really cant wait until they are all old to promote them? But it seems to be the style of HK showbiz, old is always better.

Login or Register before you can reply to Alluka
    • sandcherry replied:

TVB do not want to promote the very young artistes. They worry that once the artistes become popular, they will leave TVB to film movies.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • kiwi replied:

TVB knows the batch coming up is not very good so why invest in stupidity. They have to earn it. 😀 🙁 LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
  8. KW says:

TVB suck, all drama movie line dun have head and tail.. they will fail someday..

Login or Register before you can reply to KW
  9. Jamieyap says:

Ohhhh wait whaatttttt. Moving over to korean dramas and variety shows full time now!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Jamieyap