Li Bingbing to Star in Hollywood Movie, “Resident Evil: Retribution”

By on October 12, 2011 in NEWS, TV Dramas

Since the highly controversial Hollywood sequel, Resident Evil: Retribution was initially revealed,  each casting announcement made one wide-eyed. For Chinese fans of the Resident Evil installments, the addition of Li Bingbing (李冰冰) to the cast of the fifth film installment based on the popular game title will serve as another exciting reason to look forward to the movie!

A few days ago, Resident Evil: Retribution star, Milla Jovovich, broke the news that Li Bingbing will be joining the film’s cast as “Ada Wong.” Milla wrote on her Twitter account, “Drum roll please! So, Ada Wong in RE5 is being played by Chinese actress Li Bingbing! We’re so excited! check [her] out on IMDB!”

In fact, on September 23rd, it was revealed that original game characters from Resident Evil, Ada Wong,  Leon S. Kennedy, and Barry Burton, will make their first big screen appearances in Resident Evil: Retribution. With the announcement that Ada Wong will be  played by the beautiful Li Bingbing, the news made one pleasantly surpised and look forward to her brilliant performance.

In the Resident Evil game, the character of Ada Wong was born in 1974 and had a mixed lineage of American and Chinese parents. Ada was a secret agent of a powerful, mysterious group known as the “Organization” and made her first appearance in the game Resident Evil 2. Since the characters of Ada Wong and Leon S. Kennedy will make their first big screen appearance in Resident Evil: Retribution, it was speculated that Director Paul Anderson will likely depict the emotional love entanglements between the two characters.

As a popular mainland actress, Li Bingbing’s recent critically acclaimed films included The Knot <云水谣>, The Message <风声>, and Detective Dee and the Mystery of the Phantom Flame <狄仁杰之通天帝国>.  Li Bingbing’s latest film, 1911 <辛亥革命>, was released in North American theaters several days ago. Previously, Li Bingbing starred opposite Hugh Jackman in Snow Flower and the Secret Fan <雪花與秘扇>. Portraying the classic game character of Ada Wong in Resident Evil: Retribution will pose as a new challenge for Bingbing.

Other cast members for Resident Evil: Retribution include Milla Jovovich,  Michelle Rodriguez, Shawn Roberts, and  Colin Salmon. No doubt, Resident Evil: Retribution is bound to start another strong wave of zombie horror. Filming for the movie will start soon; the movie will be released in 3D format on September 14, 2012 in North America.

Source: Sohu.com

Jayne: It’s very exciting to see Li Bingbing cast in Resident Evil: Retribution. Did anyone see Snow Flower and the Secret Fan?

70 comments to Li Bingbing to Star in Hollywood Movie, “Resident Evil: Retribution”

1. Hello World says:

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan was a boring movie but her acting was quite well. Probably, I am not suitable for this type of drama.

For Resident Evil, I do not think she will have a huge part in the movie, probably, similar role like The Forbidden Kingdom.

For current Chinese actresses who participated/will participate in Hollywood productions, I do not see any one has significant impact on American audiences. And for actors, Jackie Chan, Jet Li, and Donald Chow are great actors who did impact on American audiences but their appearance are less and less due to the aging.

Korea starts to ship their actors into Hollywood Market, Jang Dong-gun, Rain, Byung-hun Lee have not done great thing yet but they have potential.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hello World
    • Lily replied:

Who’s Donald Chow? Stephen Chow? Chow Yun Fat?

Anyways, yes I really hope there can be more Chinese (or even Asian) actors represented in Hollywood. Most people only know Jackie Chan and Jet Li, but we have so much more to offer.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lily
      • Masaharu replied:

Yeah Jet Li and Jackie Chan are most well known internationally among Chinese stars, but mostly for their kungfu.

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
      • Addy replied:

Chow Yun-fat is not as well-known as Jackie Chan or Jet Li, but at least he managed to film Hollywood movies NOT for kung fu. (He possibly got more well known after filming Pirates 3).

Login or Register before you can reply to Addy
    • Fox replied:

Lee Byung-hun’s performance in the movie I dun rmb name but he acted Shadow something is kinda cringe worthy. All he needs is pose and I dun find he is cool :P. Jang Dong-gun’s Warrior way is similar but worse than Rango. And he also needs to act cool only. But I like the part he put the flower on his face to make the baby smile. Cutest baby! Rain’s car series he dun need to act much.

So I go to a conclusion that K artists in Hollywood needs act cool and that’s all.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Masaharu replied:

In my POV Lee Byung Hun and Jang Dong Gun are better in K-movies for the time being. Their performance and characters have more depth and nuance in K-movies; than in stylish and glamor Hollywood haha.

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
      • Funn Lim replied:

Yes, very good actors. But I miss the chubby JDG.

• Addy replied:

GI Joe? Well that’s the only Hollywood movie I’ve seen that has Lee Byung-hun in it, lol. He was ok – his wooden demure fit his character.

Login or Register before you can reply to Addy
  2. Starry says:

Haven’t seen “Snow Flower and the Secret Fan”, but I did go see “Detective Dee” in the theaters a couple of weeks ago, and LBB was fantastic in it. She always has this sad expression in her eyes which makes her very suitable for tragic roles. I’m glad that she’s starring in more Hollywood movies nowadays because I much prefer her over Zhang Ziyi.

Login or Register before you can reply to Starry
    • Fox replied:

In my opinion, Zhang Ziyi can’t act.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Funn Lim replied:

Zhang ziyi can act but I don’t like her.

• Canto replied:

Yah, I don’t like her too. I find her too arrogant and “mu zhong wu ren”.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
      • Veejay replied:

Zhang is really arrogant but there is something in her that the western thinks she’s valuable though. weird.

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
      • Masaharu replied:

Veejay, perhaps it’s her continental look that appeals to western filmmakers.

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
      • tom jonson replied:

I agree about Zhang ziyi who can’t act even with 101% effort, excuse me!

Nice to see Li Bingbing, so kool!
        I suppose to play in any holloywood part are a mad career goal

Login or Register before you can reply to tom jonson
  3. SDS says:

The fact they are making another instalment of this franchise is enough to leave one wide eyed and in total awe. It has led me to believe anything is possible even, and has shown me what ppl meant when they whinge about hollywood killing things with their ‘adaptations’. Though it is nice to see Li in a horror movie thing. China doesn’t really produce any thing close to these types. I spouse zombies may be taken to be metaphorical of communists…

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
  4. EkinFan says:

we need more of li bingbing, she is gorgeous

Login or Register before you can reply to EkinFan
  5. Mary says:

Um, this is NOT a “Hollywood” production, it’s a European-Canadian production, therefore they weren’t allowed to hire too many American actors (since some of the leads are already Americans), they’re required to cast EU or Canadian performers only.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mary
  6. Canto says:

@ EkinFan

Agree. She is a classic Chinese beauty. Doe eyed, tall, slim, elegant smile, elegant features, none overwhelming.

She is as pretty as a picture. Of all the Chinese actresses popular nowadays, she ranks on the top of my list as a true blue Chinese beauty.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
    • Canto replied:

I think the potential of Chinese actors and actresses in the future market will be more. China has so many people, sure to be a catchment of beautiful and talented potential to be unearth.

Right now their actresses are more popular outside of China than their actors. Look forward to the day when we can be introduced to more actors from China, other than HuangXiaoMing, who is getting a bit stale lately.

Also, between Li Bing Bing and Fan Bing Bing, Fan always freaks me out a little because her good looks are borderline (on the verge) of an evil Chucky doll. I think there are plastic rumors about Fan.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
      • loungegirl replied:

“.. Fan Bing Bing, Fan always freaks me out a little because her good looks are borderline (on the verge) of an evil Chucky doll.”

LOL! Completely agree with this comment! Fan Bing Bing at times just looks.. yikes!

Login or Register before you can reply to loungegirl
      • Fox replied:

Fan is the one who know how to get the attention, Li is the one who know how to make the attention.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Veejay replied:

Do you know that in China, there is tis blow up doll that resemble Fan Bing Bing purposely made to cater needy guys? hehe

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
      • exoidus replied:

i thought both bingbings were plastic dolls 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • WhoAmI replied:

Yes, they both had beauty treatment. I remember watching them when they just entered the industry. They were almost nobody back then, their look was okay but not beauty as they are now. So photoshop and “special treatments” might be their friends.

Login or Register before you can reply to WhoAmI
      • ajas replied:

Fan Bingbing looks best without heavy makeup. Actually, it’s Li Bingbing who had surgery to reshape her chin and jawline. Her pre-2005 pictures look very different from today.

Login or Register before you can reply to ajas
  7. Veejay says:

it’s so good to heard Bing2 in Resident Evil:retribution. 🙂 I always have been a fan of RE and even passed all the rounds in the game hehe. wonder if she will cut her hair to suit the character in RE: Retribution?

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
    • Masaharu replied:

I have doubts about how much emphasize she will get in this film, but it can be a good start. Haha..I’m also imagining Bing Bing in Ada Wong’s haircut and sexy red dress 😛

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
      • Veejay replied:

Yeah, hollywood has always been bias towards asian artist especially those not born in the US. I hope Bing2 will get a fair amount of onscreen appearance in RE:retribution, it will sux if she only appears just a few mins there in the beginning and end hehe..

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
      • HeTieShou replied:

I wonder how good her English is??

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Masaharu replied:

She can learn, or she can just memorize the script, or she can have little dialogues 😛

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
      • Jayne replied:

Language is not a problem. They will offer Bingbing English tutors if necessary to help her with her lines.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jayne
      • Canto replied:

Hope it’s not like The Myth with Jackie Chan and Han Se Yuel where she could not speak much Chinese at all and could only act like a vase.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
      • Funn Lim replied:

Language problem? Her character can be mute or those silent type. Or she can just memorise her lines.

• WhoAmI replied:

I remembered the madia made a big deal of Edison Chen’s role in Dark Knight then what we had?

Login or Register before you can reply to WhoAmI
      • WhoAmI replied:

After watching the bluray for several times, I once recognized him as an unknown employee with 1/2 line of dialog for less than 10 seconds

Login or Register before you can reply to WhoAmI
      • lol replied:

@WhoAmI: Edison was in there?

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • WhoAmI replied:

Yes, he was. For a few seconds when Batman comes to Hongkong.

Login or Register before you can reply to WhoAmI

She is a beautiful woman but I don’t find her face memorable. As for this movie franchise, shouldn’t it have ended already? Still going on and on and on?

• Masaharu replied:

Funn, if TVB can keep Laughing almost immortal, why can’t western production houses keep their installments going on and on? Hahahaha…

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
    • Veejay replied:

@Funn,

If you’re a fan of the game RE, u will know they have PART I, II and III so if the producer is following the game’s sequence, there might be alot of this RE movies with different characters.

However, the movie that was played years ago dissappoint me as it didn’t follow the game’s storyplot.

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
    • Jayne replied:

Funn,
      Allegedly each subsequent Resident Evil movie made more money than the previous one. As long as the movies continue to make money, then they will make more installments. There are enough game characters to film subsequent films.

I agree that while Li Bingbing is pretty, her face doesn’t truly stand out. Perhaps too evenly proportioned and symmetrical facial features? But her eyes do carry a lot of depth. Her eyes are memorable, but no so much the rest of her face. Her face reminds me of someone I can’t pinpoint whom right now.

Although her role may not have a lot of screen time, it is still good for Bingbing and other Asian artists to work on more international collaborations for the experience and exposure.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jayne
      • Canto replied:

Funn and Jayne, no offense but

Her “qi zhi” and the words I would use to describe her are demure, modest and reserved. So it’s not surprising that she does not stand out. I feel it’s part of her quiet elegance.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
      • Funn Lim replied:

But why every asian or chinese artiste debuting or continuing work in Hollywood must be kung fu film/gun totting film/action film? Why?

RE series is like in perpetual. Even Harry Potter has to end, please make RE stop! I mean Milla Jovovich’s entire career can be just about RE.

• Funn Lim replied:

Canto, no offense taken but if an actress does not stand out, how then can she be truly memorable?

• Canto replied:

Hi Funn

She does not stand out as in “in your face” kind of thing. Like Lady Gaga, who really stands out. I don’t mean in a bad way cos there’s a place for the Lady Gagas in the world. They make this world more crazy and interesting.

But I suspect there will always be quiet admirers who appreciate her kind of beauty. Directors, producers as well as fans. She also helmed beauty ad campaigns by international brands such as L’oreal.

Chinese actresses who break into Hollywood are not that many yet. In the early days, we have cuckoos like Bai Ling, who make Chinese girls look like prostitutes in front of the Westerners. I am just glad that nowadays, more Chinese actresses are breaking into the international scenes, who offer the world more appreciation of higher quality Chinese beauty.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
      • Funn Lim replied:

I have a feeling Bai Ling is a prostitute. I mean how on earth she can sustain herself there?

• josie replied:

@Funn:

When I think of milla jovovich, I always think of “the fifth element” before RE.

Login or Register before you can reply to josie
      • Fox replied:

But Milla is good as Alice.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Kidd replied:

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • jayne replied:

Kidd,
        “Symmetrical face is considered beautify. A symmetrical face is consider more attractive than asymmetrical face.”

Yes symmetry makes a face look more pleasant. But in Li Bingbing’s case, all her facial features are very proportionate and very symmetrical, similiar to Gigi Leung and 2011 Miss Hong Kong, Rebecca Zhu. While the women have very pleasant and pretty features, they don’t possess a “stand-out” kind of unique beauty that makes you take notice immediately.

Sometimes a more ravishing kind of beauty is the unique combination of perhaps features that do not always meet the perfect proportion. I’m thinking of a young Carina Lau, where her nose was slightly big and nostrils flared or even Andy Lau, whose nose had a unique hook which may even look unattractive on another person’s face, yet carried such distinct character and left a lasting impression.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
    • WhoAmI replied:

The way of making product in the U.S is…. Die when no significant profit. It does annoy me when after watch a movie then scrap opened-ending…Okay I will have to wait 1 or 2 years to see the ending(if there is one) like G.I.Joe but it is a pain with drama, 1 season (often 12-20 eps) per year. So in other to finish a good drama, it takes 3-4 years, few over 10 years. At least they are some having good ending (season finale) so I can stop waiting for next season.

Login or Register before you can reply to WhoAmI

“highly controversial Hollywood sequel”

What’s so controversial about this sequel?

• WhoAmI replied:

The only controversy I found was from the video game – RE5 where africans were “zombiefied” and people(not me) excused it was a racist game because white (the main character) shot black

Login or Register before you can reply to WhoAmI
  10. Masaharu says:

Hrmm, on another note our dear Mr Reeves is making his directorial debut and either Zhou Xun or Zhang Zi Yi is considered to be the female lead. Hrmm….

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
    • Funn Lim replied:

Please not Zhouxun. I don’t like her!

• Masaharu replied:

Funn, I thought you don’t like Zhang Zi Yi. Zhou Xun too?

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
      • Funn Lim replied:

Can’t decide who I dislike more between the 2. I don’t like Zhou xun.

• Kidd replied:

Funn,

You are the first person I know that said she dislike Zhou Xun.

Zhou Xun’s reputation as talented thespian with great acting skill is very high now.

2 years ago, there’s a news that a Taiwan production company want to film Taiwan version of Full House pairing Zhou Xun and Wu Chun. Many comments said that idol drama is beneath her, she is better off doing more quality movies and that she’s sort after by many great directors.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Funn Lim replied:

I don’t like her voice, I don’t like her looks, I don’t like her acting. I am not the only one who thinks so.

• Fox replied:

I’ll be the second?

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Canto replied:

I like Zhou Xun when she first broke out into the international scene.

She has a whimsical quality, that is very suitable for a creative field like media.

So I can see why she is a muse for some directors who are inspired by her.

But later I didn’t like her already. Her looks and voice was too self-absorbed. I was also bored by her artistic movies.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
    • Masaharu replied:

On another note, a Taiwanese director casted Kevin Spacey as a co-lead with Daniel Wu in his China-based film “Inseparable”. Hrmm..way to go with the westernChinese collaboration huh..haha.

Login or Register before you can reply to Masaharu
  11. ajas says:

It’s ironic that many Chinese and Asian actresses (check out the peek-a-boobs of Korean actresses at the Busan Film Festival opening) are wearing extremely low-cut dresses, while Bai Ling is now dressing more conservatively, relatively speaking.

Login or Register before you can reply to ajas
    • Canto replied:

Yes, although I am a fan of Korean celebrities, their girl pop groups and songs, etc, are all very sexified right now in the trend.

I was taken aback by how sexy they girl groups were, in their dances, when I first started watching the pop music scene. But now am more or less used to it.

Too much use of plastic and most of the girls’ pop groups are high on using sex appeal to sell albums. In your face sexy dance moves, like Madonna in her Like a Virgin days and her conical bras. Pop fluff… but kinda of cute if you can get the right songs.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
  12. ahk says:

Yay yay yay! Great news! Lol! I love Resident Evil! Watched all of the movie installments cause I’m a huge fan of zombie movies! 😛

Login or Register before you can reply to ahk
    • SDS replied:

Have you seen 2004’s Dawn of the Dead? I don’t think anything since that has been any better. 28 Days Later is still good though. Can’t put my mind to before 2004 for some reason…

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
  13. Summer says:

Few months ago I watched all four installments of Resident Evil. I can’t wait for Retribution to come out next year. I am looking forward to Bingbing’s performance.

Login or Register before you can reply to Summer
  14. Moonriver says:

Finally, a chinese zombie who’s not from the Qing dynasty!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Moonriver