Eliza Sam Struggles with Difficult Dialogue in Period Dramas

By on November 25, 2013 in TV Dramas

Above: Eliza Sam and Him Law star in “The Vinegar Lady”.

Eliza Sam (岑麗香) is taking up as many job offers as possible so she can have a breather on Christmas day. Asked if she would be spending the Christmas holidays with one of her many rumored boyfriends, Eliza revealed that her mother will be visiting Hong Kong from Canada to spend the holidays with her. Eliza also stressed, “I don’t have a rumored boyfriend!”

Currently shooting her first period comedy drama The Vinegar Lady <醋娘子> with Myolie Wu (胡杏兒), Ron Ng (吳卓羲), and Him Law (羅仲謙), the Canadian born and raised Eliza expressed her difficulty in adapting to the dialogue and filming style of the period drama.

“I have to deal with a lot of new [Chinese] characters, vocabulary, and four-word idioms. I am always worried about speaking out random English words by accident.” Eliza added that she almost uttered profanity once, laughing, “It was very embarrassing of me. There was one scene where I almost spoke profanity, but good thing someone stopped me right before I said the second word. I’ve recited the dialogue over 50 times, but I still had outtakes.”

The Vinegar Lady chronicles the lives of three families who live on the same street. Due to an arranged marriage at birth, the Cho family marries their daughter Cho Ching (Myolie Wu 胡杏兒) to the young Chin Tung (Him Law 羅仲謙), the bastard son of vinegar factory owner, Chin Chong (Koo Ming Wah 古明華). Ching is best friends with Kai Jun (Ron Ng 吳卓羲), the heir of a public bath house that is stationed on the same street as Chin’s vinegar factory.

Meanwhile, Chin Tung’s maid and assistant, San Zah (Eliza Sam), falls in love with Tung. She becomes his concubine and competes with Ching for Tung’s affections.

Source: Oriental Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

22 comments to Eliza Sam Struggles with Difficult Dialogue in Period Dramas

1. jayne says:

Eliza is quite lovable. Her charisma and likability in romantic comedies remind me of Myolie Wu’s early career.

Period dramas may not be the best fit for Eliza though.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
    • amonymus replied:

@jayne,where is funn lim? its rare but i havent seen her comment on this site for a week now,and there are others too that want to read here detailed reviews.

Login or Register before you can reply to amonymus
      • jayne replied:

amonymus,
        Funn is on vacation, but she’ll be happy to hear that readers have missed her.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • amonymus replied:

ah ha,its fine to hear this,thank you jayne.

Login or Register before you can reply to amonymus
    • HeTieShou replied:

Jayne,
      I think she is just new to acting in ancient drama’s so she needs time to get used to them, this is Him’s first ancient role too right? I wonder how he is fairing?

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • Bad boy replied:

Eliza can never be Myolie. Don’t even compare tem together, it does not do an actress of Myolie’s calibre any justice.

Eliza just can’t act, and can’t speak well, even in everyday canto, and now old Chinese, hahaha, she will blunder and become more like a complete mechanical robot, which she is, in every drama she was in.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bad boy
      • christina replied:

I totally agree. Its so annoying seeing her in so many dramas. I cannot believe that eliza is nominated for supporting actress and most improved….She sucks

Login or Register before you can reply to christina
  2. Terminator says:

It sounds like her problem is spontaneous cursing and the tendency uttering random English idioms. Lol!

Well, Elisa, one way to prevent that from happening would be to stop thinking about TVB while filming.

Login or Register before you can reply to Terminator
  3. Crystal says:

Eliza is very bubbly and cute. I wonder how she will present herself in this upcoming ancient series.

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal
  4. Ribb says:

Him Law is handsome in both modern and period dramas.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ribb
    • ebbie replied:

Oh yes….lol….

Login or Register before you can reply to ebbie
  5. Shrimpboat says:

Does this mean Eliza’s character will be scheming and evil? That’s going to be hard to pull off since Eliza is so bubbly and cute.

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
    • Bad boy replied:

Hard to pull off? If its is so hard for her, it only means she is bad in acting. PERIOD!

Login or Register before you can reply to Bad boy
  6. AC says:

I don’t know why they don’t just limit her (and others who can barely speak cantonese properly) to modern series, until they get a better handle on cantonese.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
  7. Bubblez says:

I’m looking forward to this drama.
    I don’t mind Eliza’s Cantonese. I feel that with each drama she’s filming, she’s getting used to it and picking up tips from here and there. 🙂
    I feel like she’s a second Linda Chung.. too innocent and cute!

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    • Bad boy replied:

Oh please, a 2nd Linda Chung! LOL, rolling on the floor..

Linda is now competing for best TV queen, Eliza won’t have that chance for another 30 years, I say

Login or Register before you can reply to Bad boy
  8. lemongrass says:

Should have created a role for Eliza like a girl transported in time; a mute girl; a Japanese/Korean girl slave sold to China, etc. No matter what she will still shine with her bubbly personality.

Login or Register before you can reply to lemongrass
  9. Rey says:

Him law looks good all the time

Login or Register before you can reply to Rey
  10. Little fishy says:

She has this annoying voice, this annoying way to deliver dialog. She tries to act cute, but that is not good as not all roles meant to be cute. I’m sorry she didn’t look good, sure she has huge packages, but I’m a girl so that don’t attract me. And I don’t like myolie, but myolie is a lot better than Eliza, Eliza is just annoying from the get go. -.- and her acting is really really weak. The first drama I saw of Linda (with Benny chan), she was so much better than this chick.

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
    • christina replied:

Omg yes eliza is so bad. I can’t stand her

Login or Register before you can reply to christina
  11. hannahh says:

cant wait!

Login or Register before you can reply to hannahh
  12. Kora says:

Eliza Sam is very likeable and positive in image but please spare ABCs in period dramas eg Christine Lin. They are unbearable in period dramas and make them very painful to watch. Instead of concentrating on the story line, most of the time, we are laughing at them, finding fault with the mixed culture. It becomes silly.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kora