Donnie Yen to Film “Ip Man 3″ in 3D, Featuring Bruce Lee’s Story!

By on April 6, 2012 in Movies, NEWS

Due to the two extremely successful Ip Man <葉問 > movies, a third installment was frequently rumored to be in the works. It was announced yesterday that Donnie Yen (甄子丹) will return for Ip 3, which will focus on the story between Ip Man and his disciple, Bruce Lee. Ip 3 will be filmed in 3D format at the end of the year!

Feel the Power of Wing Chun in 3D!

In the beginning of 2012, producer Raymond Wong (黃百鳴) consulted with the original cast and crew of the Ip Man franchise on how to make the third movie more compelling. The production crew decided the answer would be 3D. This will give audiences a more thrilling experience and magnify the power of the Wing Chun martial arts style. Mr. Wong stated, “3D will add more dimension to the action scenes. Since the movie will be filmed in 3D format, the production costs will be higher than the first two Ip Man movies.”

Featuring Bruce Lee’s Story

Ip Man 3 will focus on the relationship between Ip Man and his most famous disciple, Bruce Lee. The scriptwriter for Ip Man 3 was Raymond Wong’s son, Edmond Wong (黄子桓). The story for Ip Man 3 was still being conceptualized, but Edmond revealed that it will follow a young Bruce Lee training under the grandmaster.

The actor to play Bruce Lee has not been determined yet. Edmond Wong said, “Perhaps, we may cast an overseas actor. Actors who have played Bruce Lee in past films were Aarif Lee (李治廷) and Danny Chan (陈国坤). However, they may be too old to play a 16-year-old Bruce Lee. We will have to wait for director Wilson Yip (叶伟信) to decide.” Edmond added that Ip Man will remain as the central character in the Ip Man 3.

Donnie Yen has already expressed interest in filming Ip Man 3. Donnie’s public relations representative, Ms. Cheung, stated, “Donnie anticipates working on the movie. He had preliminary discussions with Raymond Wong already. Since Donnie did not see the script yet, he is not clear on the details of the story.”

Since the script was currently under development, Raymond Wong indicated that it was not clear as to whether the movie will feature Ip Man in his old age. Ip Man 3 will start filming at the end of 2012.

Source: Sohu.com

Jayne: Really looking forward to Ip Man 3 in 3D! I will pay the extra $5 to see it in 3D. Feel the power of Wing Chun! I hope they find a good actor to play Bruce Lee! Ip 3 may be the most promising among the trilogy!

27 comments to Donnie Yen to Film “Ip Man 3″ in 3D, Featuring Bruce Lee’s Story!

3D good meh? I mean wouldn’t it disrupt watching the kung fu with legs, hands, sweat all flying out towards you?

• Canto replied:

Hee hee hee.. the sweat part sounds gross. Maybe they should spray some smelly perfume into the air to create the mood.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
  2. KK says:

BOYCOTT ALL HIS COMING FILMS!!! THIS IDIOTS SHOULD TEACH HIM A LESSON UNLESS HE KNOWS HOW TO TREAT PEOPLE’S WELL. BRAINLESS ACTOR WHEN BEING FAMOUS!!! SHAME TO YOU DONKEY YEN…. EVEN I AM YOUR FANS I FEEL SHAME!!! ON WHAT YOU HAVE DONE..

Login or Register before you can reply to KK
    • Tony replied:

Go get some medication dude lol.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tony
      • fez replied:

hahaa some ppl just need to calm down.

Login or Register before you can reply to fez
    • fez replied:

what’s it to you? lol

Login or Register before you can reply to fez
    • HeTieShou replied:

I guess after the Vincent and Donnie incident, people have viewed Donnie differently….

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Tony replied:

I don’t buy it though. If Donnie is such a selfish person, it should have been known long time ago and he wouldn’t have been in the position he is today. Vincent Zhao managers – who recently spoke about the feud – said it best.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tony
  3. TVBFanatic says:

3D? Sheesh… 3D is such a gimic. Ruins movies when they purposely set up shots to make items “come out of the screen” at you. We need this whole 3D thing to die.. AGAIN.

What’s next? Are they going to bring back “scratch n sniff” movies?

Login or Register before you can reply to TVBFanatic
    • Ita replied:

Haha scratch and sniff, remind me of my dd baby book. Where kids learn to smell.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ita
  4. Jayne says:

In 2012 to 2013, the market will be saturated with 3 different film versions of Ip Man, with varying artistic visions and star line-up:

1. Wong Kar Wai’s “The Grandmasters”
    Did you like Tony Leung’s martial arts fight in the dark rain? It felt very gloomy and serious to me. Tony is a great actor, but those head shots in the trailer have me wondering whether in the rest of the film, we will see more of him “acting” than “fighting” in the action scenes.

2. Raymond Wong’s “Ip Man 3″ in 3D
    Commercially, this will be the biggest success. Donnie Yen as Ip Man, 3D effects, and adding a Bruce Lee story will make everyone salivate for this one. We watch martial arts movies for the pounding fists and nonstop action and no doubt, Donnie will be able to deliver.

3. Herman Yau’s “Ip Man: The Final Chapter”
    I guess the prequel was successful enough to warrant another sequel. Rose Chan is a rising martial arts star and I see a big future for her ahead.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jayne
    • fez replied:

Donnie Yen is the more famous portrayal of Ip Man so I think his one will do very well. Plus he actually utilises real Wing Chun styles in his choreography.

I didn’t like the trailer for The Grandmasters! Too MATRIX-looking, too many wires and ‘flying’….. i didn’t even see one Wing Chun move there. Tony Leung is a good actor but he can’t just play any damn role given to him if he doesn’t suit it.

I remember reading a piece from Ip Man’s son, Ip Chun. He said Donnie Yen actually trained with him before and during filming just to learn proper Wing Chun in order to play the role of Ip Man. That’s dedication. Whereas The Grandmasters, Tony didn’t actually properly attend Wing Chun lessons, but instead relied on the choreography by Yuen Woo Ping and the hard stuff by stuntmen. Donnie Yen does most of the action scenes himself.

Login or Register before you can reply to fez
      • Canto replied:

Donnie Yen is a hardcore martial arts expert so I would expect some realistic, hardcore, dirty, sweaty fighting from his movie.

Agree with you, The Grandmaster’s trailer looked matrix. It was more artistically stylish than raw fight scenes.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
    • HeTieShou replied:

From some odd reason, I can never bring myself to like any Chinese movie regardless of who is in it and how big the budget is. I guess I have loved series so much that I can’t bring myself to love any movies or something…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
      • Nelly replied:

I’m with you there HeTieShou! I haven’t watched a Mainland nor Hong Kong movie in years. When it comes to Asian movies it always Korean or Japanese movies for me.

As for Ip Man 3, If the trailer looks interesting then I’ll give it a try.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nelly
    • jasmine7 replied:

Thank you Jayne, you share the same view as I ref that trailer with Tony in the rain (all hands and feet….is that really him?). They really need to kill off this 3D gimic, it’s not working.

Login or Register before you can reply to jasmine7
  5. Allen says:

Finally they bring out Bruce Lee.

Login or Register before you can reply to Allen
    • fez replied:

the little kid at the end of Ip Man 2 who played Bruce Lee – I just wanted to slap him in the face…. so cocky!

Login or Register before you can reply to fez
  6. SDS says:

I prefer to see the monkey king than another Ip man movie unless theres some scripting breakthrough or a stroke of martial arts genius. The fact that they are taking it to 3d seems to indicate they are running low on ideas.

Login or Register before you can reply to SDS
    • Canto replied:

Surprised. Thought that guys like fighting movies more than girls. And I like Ip Man movies…

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
  7. darren says:

great more milking on bruce lee. let the man rest in peace!

Login or Register before you can reply to darren
  8. Ita says:

3D? Not sure, the only 3D that I ever watch is polar express Disney, don’t know what to expect. Will it feel like someone throw punch and kick you all through the movie?. I don’t know, not really keen on 3 D, it makes me dizzy. Like the good old regular type.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ita
    • Canto replied:

Haha… someone to throw punahc and kick you throughout the movie? That sounds more like abusive than entertaining…

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
  9. Grace says:

I hope to see more of Bruce Lee in the new show.It’ll be fun.

Login or Register before you can reply to Grace
  10. duuur says:

if u appreciate wing chun, know who the real Ip Man was, and admire how effectively Donnie portrayed him in the movie, along with the authentic wing chun techniques. then you should watch the 3 previous Ip Man movies so you will not want to live without seeing Ip Man 3

Login or Register before you can reply to duuur
  11. Canto replied:

Hee hee hee. Never mind lah, I like martial arts shows. I will still watch both Donnie and Vincent’s shows.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
  12. Yen replied:

I agree with Funny!! Hahahas!

Login or Register before you can reply to Yen