Kevin Cheng Teams Up with Jennifer Tse for New TVB Drama

By on February 9, 2014 in Hot Gossip!, TV Dramas

Jennifer Tse (謝婷婷) has been cast in an upcoming TVB legal drama with Kevin Cheng (鄭嘉穎). Thirty-one-year-old Jennifer, the younger sister of Nicholas Tse (謝霆鋒), made her acting debut in the 2010 film Bruce Lee, My Brother <李小龍>, in which she starred as Cho Tat Wah’s (曹達華) eldest daughter.

Reports of Jennifer’s casting started around early January 2014, when it was reported that she was going to shoot a new TVB drama with either Raymond Lam (林峯) or Kevin Cheng. A recent report confirmed that she was cast as the female lead of an upcoming legal drama, and will be portraying the love interest of Kevin Cheng, who allegedly turned down a mainland Chinese drama in order to shoot the TVB series. This drama will be Jennifer’s television acting debut.

It was said that TVB management executive Virginia Lok (樂易玲) was the one who suggested Jennifer to work for TVB. Ms. Lok is good friends Jennifer’s mother, Deborah Li (狄波拉).  Jennifer was very interested in her lawyer role, and agreed to film the drama after having a few meetings with TVB producers.

Tabloids reasoned that Jennifer, a non-TVB artist, was cast because Ms. Lok was losing her power amongst TVB management. Many of Ms. Lok’s treasured artists had refused to renew their TVB contracts, and popular artists including Michael Tse (謝天華), Fala Chen (陳法拉), and Yoyo Mung (蒙嘉慧) have already left the station. Aside from Jennifer, Ms. Lok also called back Josie Ho (何超儀), who has not filmed a TVB drama in ten years, to shoot new prison drama The Battle of Tomorrow <再戰明天>Alex Fong Lik Sun (方力申) is also rumored to be filming for TVB soon.

Kevin, who has chosen to focus his career in mainland China in recent years, was willing to turn down many lucrative Chinese drama casting offers in order to help Ms. Lok gain her prominence. He reportedly had to postpone his plans in establishing his own production studios for the new TVB drama, which will film in May.

Source: Oriental Sunday via ihktv.com

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?
Kevin Cheng Teams Up with Jennifer Tse for New TVB Drama

• Natalie Tong Hints Kevin Cheng and Grace Chan's Wedding News is True(7)
  • Sean Lau and Nicholas Tse Reunite for New Mystery Film(3)
  • Kevin Cheng and Ruco Chan Team Up in TVB’s “Eye in the Sky”(80)
  • Nicholas Tse Still Keeps in Touch With Cecilia Cheung(4)
  • [Breakup Files] Jennifer Tse and Andy On Break Up(29)
  • Kevin Cheng Works 16 Hours a Day for “Hua Xu Yin”(69)
  • Steven Ma Promises Decision on TVB's Filming Offer by Lunar New Year(60)
  • TVB Tackles Mainland China Market Through Joint Venture(24)
  • Ben Wong Survives 23 Years of Turmoil(15)
  • Ron Ng and Bosco Wong Planning TVB Exit?(58)

• 75 comments to Kevin Cheng Teams Up with Jennifer Tse for New TVB Drama

1. jokes says:

So that the reason reason Kevin and Raymond Ron bosco back at tvb especially Kevin there’s nothing wrong with Kevin popularity dropping his been there for awhile Mrs lol needs her power revived

Login or Register before you can reply to jokes
      • Yuaida replied:

Man, TVB must be really desperate to have to cast someone as untalented as Jennifer Tse……….I have never seen her in any shows in which she has acted well…….In face, I think she can’t act, period.

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!!1

Login or Register before you can reply to Yuaida
        • lol replied:

agree especially 620 ms lok

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • air replied:

miss lok should stay home

Login or Register before you can reply to air
        • lol replied:

620 should stay home but mrs tsang should first

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
        • lol replied:

tommy leung is the best executive tvb has got now his leaving

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
    2. rachel says:

noooo i want to see kevin paired up with tavia or myolie!

Login or Register before you can reply to rachel
      • Mindy replied:

NOOOOOOOOOO :(!

I also wanted it to be Tavia! He’s filming heaven’s eyes. I was hoping for tavia and kevin….not jennifer

DISSAPOINTED. Is this confirmed or just a rumor???

Login or Register before you can reply to Mindy
      • chowmein replied:

yah, what a waste of kevin’s precious time

Login or Register before you can reply to chowmein
      • Xiaomei replied:

Agree

Login or Register before you can reply to Xiaomei
    3. Moca says:

Ruco still needs a female partner! TAVIA!

Login or Register before you can reply to Moca
      • Xiaomei replied:

Yes, Tavia and Ruco or Kevin Cheng

Login or Register before you can reply to Xiaomei
    4. P. Tan says:

This is the first time I’ve heard of Jennifer Tse. Not impressed with her looks but hope she can act. Isn’t Virginia Lok putting Kevin in a risk?

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
      • Funn Lim replied:

I believe she can’t even speak Cantonese and I don’t mean fluently, I mean she can’t speak. How to act in TVB? HOW? Dubbing?

• Mono replied:

Her Chinese sound OK

Login or Register before you can reply to Mono
        • Bubblez replied:

What are you talking about?
          Jennifer Tse’s Cantonese seems pretty good!

links: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_piWnuW1eZI , http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M27QINwoIPk

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
        • Puff replied:

Her Cantonese is better than a lot of beauty pageants people who are acting (supposedly) for TVB.

Having said that I’m not advocating for Jennifer Tse, thought she is only known/ ‘famous’ because of her parents and brother? Like many others I was hoping Kevin will be paired with Tavia.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • Fox replied:

Jennifer Tse is indeed famous in HK (partly due to her father and brother) with some experience in movies. However her acting is not something she is famous for. This one will be her first series. Txb paid a lot to invite her to act, due to her fame.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • Funn Lim replied:

Why not pay more and get her brother, the real famous one?

• Bubblez replied:

Because even with Nicholas Tse or “famous actors”, it doesn’t guarantee high ratings.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
        • Fox replied:

Because Nic Tse is too manly to act a girl? Just kidding.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • Funn Lim replied:

Rubbish. At least it generates enough of interest for anyone to tune in, the rest is the story, acting, directing.

• Fox replied:

Jennifer Tse is doing well with generate noises for the upcoming series, no need Nic Tse.

I’ll turn in to see if Jennifer Tse is really in it. I will.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • Bubblez replied:

^ Maybe for you, it will work if they had a well-known actor starring in it. But a well-known actor alone does not guarantee “high” ratings. Eg. Dayo Wong and his drama. It really depends on when it is shown (peak vs non-peak season), the target audience, the storyline, and the rest of the cast.

In fact, no tvb actors or actresses can guarantee “high” ratings. Not even Dodo Cheng, Liza Wang. I really hate how TVB says they are going to bring so-and-so to boost the ratings. It’s not an one-man show. It’s a multi-people show. Everyone needs to be at their best, do their part r and whatnot to have a finished drama. The success of the drama really depends on the audience, in terms of whether or not they like the storyline, which is very subjective. And just speaking from my own perspective, I grew up watching Linda, Fala, Tavia, etc. and so although I have heard of Chow Yun Fat, Leung Chiu Wai, Sandra Ng,etc. I actually never saw them act…

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
        • Funn Lim replied:

Then they must bring back such great actors to “teach” the younger generations a thing or two about acting, rather than just publicity. Look, viewers are not only younger generations. It is across the board. Someone famous and very well known would probably generate enough interest to have the viewers, young and old to tune in. Frankly I am surprised by Jennifer Tse and half the people will be wondering who she is. Hopefully she does well since Kevin will be the one generating interest. But then we all know how “good” his acting is.

Anyway why suddenly bring up Ruco and Tavia in this article? Am I missing something?

• Bubblez replied:

“Look, viewers are not only younger generations. It is across the board. Someone famous and very well known would probably generate enough interest to have the viewers, young and old to tune in. Frankly I am surprised by Jennifer Tse and half the people will be wondering who she is. Hopefully she does well since Kevin will be the one generating interest. But then we all know how “good” his acting is.

^ When did I ever say that the viewers are ONLY younger generations? I had NEVER said that. I only used MYSELF as an example that although I have heard of the “famous” actors and actresses, I never watched their acting. And a person could be watching the drama due to the plot being interesting, not just the cast. For example, The reason why I am anticipating Gilded Chopsticks isn’t because Nancy, Ben, Joey, Wong Cho Lam is in it. I am anticipating to watch it because I love watching Qing Dynasty dramas and that Qing Dynasty is my favourite dynasties. It’s my cup of tea, my area of interest. So even if the cast was filled with mediocre actors/actresses, I would still watch this drama because I love watching historical dramas.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
        • Funn Lim replied:

This part. If you mean yourself, next time say

• Bubblez replied:

““So even if they bring back these well-known actors/actresses, it doesn’t mean they can generate enough interest for the younger generations to fully enjoy their acting.”

This part. If you mean yourself, next time say

“So even if they bring back these well-known actors/actresses, it doesn’t mean they can generate enough interest for me to fully enjoy their acting.””

^ You misunderstood my post.
          There were two parts to my original post. First of all, not everyone is interested in seeing these well-known actors and actresses in dramas. I based this sentence on seeing how my parents and I are from different generations, which means we share DIFFERENT perspectives on current-day actors and actresses.Not only we share different perspectives, our cultural values are also quite different. Hence, while my parents may be hyped up about Chow Yun Fat and them and not hyped about Linda Chung and them, I may be more hyped to see Raymond Lam and them.

Two, my original post is, “And just speaking from my own perspective, I grew up watching Linda, Fala, Tavia, etc. and so although I have heard of Chow Yun Fat, Leung Chiu Wai, Sandra Ng,etc. I actually never saw them act…

^ meaning that Although I have HEARD of Chow Yun Fat, Leung Chiu Wai, I actually never saw them act. Most of the people who were born after 1990s grew up with the current fadans or people who left TVB, not the ones from the earlier days of TVB. Hence, my second half of post is strictly targeting at the younger generations because the older generations would have more interest, but the younger generations may not have any interest… But nowhere did I ever say the viewer markets only contained younger generations. YOU assumed THAT.. I wasn’t being clear enough. I hope I explained myself more clearly this time.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
        • Bubblez replied:

and when i wrote “enjoy their acting”, i was thinking of appreciating their acting skills and admiring their skills. 欣賞藝人演藝.

Because the younger generations may not 欣賞演藝.

Watching them act and watching them act and admiring are two different things in my opinion. You may watch an artiste act but it doesn’t mean you appreciate their acting. But for some people, they would watch their acting and admire it as well.. Somewhat being indifferent towards the acting versus being appreciative toards the acting.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
        • Bubblez replied:

Like for example, if you made people to choose to listen to Backstreet boys , the Beatles or One Direction,
          The younger generations would prefer to listen to One Direction but the much older generations may go with Backstreet Boys or even the Beatles. This is mainly due to their different interests, who they grew up with. Backstreet boys was what was popular with the older group.

Same thing with TVB. If tvb really bought back the famous actors and actresses, my sentence “it doesn’t mean they can generate enough interest for the younger generations to fully enjoy their acting.” may be valid due to the older generations have different values, different interests, different growing up backgrounds with TVB. But of course, there are those rare cases where younger generations have the same tastes as older generations.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
        • Fox replied:

Ruco is confirmed to be a part of the cast.

I think A Time Of Love is the newest example of how a cast dun work.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • tutu replied:

her mom’s influence

Login or Register before you can reply to tutu
        • MW replied:

Oh-no, not her again. Okay, maybe all the men in the cast should say that they prefer mature/older women too (like Kevin Cheng already did). haha 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
      • Xiaomei replied:

I am not impressed with Tse’s family at all. I just turn off if I see them in TV.

Login or Register before you can reply to Xiaomei

Now I am worried for TVB. In what they claim to be fresh new feelings, they’re asking some very weird actors to come to act for them. Some can’t speak properly, some can’t act, none of them I feel could lift TVB from their ratings conundrum. Fatt Gor said he wants to act with TVB, TVB, why not for once stop being cheap and pay for a great actor? Someone we want to watch?

• MW replied:

“Fatt Gor said he wants to act with TVB, TVB, why not for once stop being cheap and pay for a great actor? Someone we want to watch?”

Agreed, and please don’t pair Fatt Gor with someone we don’t want to watch (like you’re doing to Kevin Cheng here).

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
      • Bubblez replied:

I tend to think that although you can have a potential actor that could lift tvb from their ratings or well-known actor, other factors such as the script, when the drama is shown (ie. non-peak time period vs. peak season where almost every age group can watch the drama), the rest of the cast is also important. Eg: Dayo Wong was thought to bring tvb out of their ratings doom but their average ratings is 28-29 (which is pretty good compared to the other tvb dramas aired last year and the most consistent ratings, but it’s not super impressive or super “over-the-top”).

So this points out that even with a well-known actor, the drama could fail to garner “high” ratings.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • kolo replied:

good idea,i also want to see fatgor in tvb drama again,if he comes back it would definitely a grand grand production and the cost will be immense,not only fat gor but also the story/script/plot have to be very good because he will not come back to play in medicore production or will he?

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
    6. windy says:

Wow, what a age gap, 20+ years at least.
      She looks the exact image of the dad n brother. OMG, at least I feel she looks a bit too manly or it’s just me? haha lol…

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
      • ice machine replied:

she should have her cheek and chin bones shaved

Login or Register before you can reply to ice machine
        • msxie replied:

and look like a cookie cutter beauty who can’t act?

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
      • MW replied:

Agreed, and wonder whether Kevin Cheng say that he prefers mature/older women because of this.

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
        • holiday replied:

haha

Login or Register before you can reply to holiday
      • air replied:

something for the tse family to be humble about

Login or Register before you can reply to air
    7. Krissy says:

Jennifer Tse??!?! Really??? Her and Kevin do not match at all. Even though she’s a model, I don’t think she’s very pretty.. 😡

Login or Register before you can reply to Krissy
    8. Fox says:

So here is the one she’ll act a lawyer. If she acts female lead, I think I start to have some eager with this series. Wanna see how she nails the role in a series.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    9. buzz says:

ummm, she looks kinda horsey

Login or Register before you can reply to buzz
    10. P. Tan says:

Oh dear, what’s going to happen? I thought Ruco Chan and Tavia are also in it as Tavia was at the Sales Presentation. Hope that’s the real thing.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
    11. lol says:

Jennifer Tse is ok nic tse sister

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
    12. jasmine7 says:

Wrong choice Ms Lok……Kevin should pair up with Tavia, Myolie or Eliza Sam. The casting for Ghetto Justice was great, perhaps they should get them together again? Or minus Myolie and put Kev and Bosco together for a blokes’ show ?

Login or Register before you can reply to jasmine7
      • jokes replied:

Agree

Login or Register before you can reply to jokes
    13. BearBear says:

Don’t know bout Jennifer’s acting, maybe she will turn out pretty well in her acting. However, she has always remind me of a transvestite in the past. Then again, acting is more more important than a good looking vase.

Login or Register before you can reply to BearBear
      • Joanna replied:

Totally agree. Jennifer Tse has little acting experience and it is highly risk to put her in a leading role not to say pairing with Kevin or Ruco. The TVB produCer should examine the casting of Jennifer carefully and consider a more suitable actress.

Login or Register before you can reply to Joanna
    14. jess says:

ruco kelvin and jennifer… cannot imagine the combination…. hahah!! the show is Sky Eyes or known as … which is by same producer as outbound love…

Login or Register before you can reply to jess
      • based replied:

Definite skip then. Outbound Love is HORRIBLE.

Login or Register before you can reply to based
    15. Terminator says:

Jennifer’s last movie, “Naked Soldier”, was disappointing not only in the box office but also to those who had paid to watch in that it was all title and no action. LOL!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Terminator
    16. TN1 says:

Coooool something fresh n looking forward to dis 1 though!!!!!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to TN1
    17. sandcherry says:

Personally I don’t like TVB’s idea of casting veteran with new artiste as a couple. It will easily ruin the performance of a veteran. Any good artiste would need the acting of his/her co-artiste to excel in his/her acting. Feel sorry for Kevin Cheng or Ruco Chan if Jennifer turns out to be his partner.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
      • sandcherry replied:

Moreover, Jennifer Tse is not pretty at all, and her acting is fairly green.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
        • Kathy replied:

Login or Register before you can reply to Kathy
      • Xiaomei replied:

Totally agree, hopefully, this is not final confirm

Login or Register before you can reply to Xiaomei
        • Kathy replied:

Kevin acting isn’t even that great to behind with.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kathy
        • sandcherry replied:

Even Wayne Lai, a 3-time TV King, did not perform well with Sire Ma in “Bullet Brain”, and Wayne is considered as a very solid-acting veteran.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
        • Kathy replied:

Sorry, post at the wrong one. Wayne performance in Bullet Brain is pretty bad in general with or without Sire Ma.

I meant to say 1 overrated average actor + 1 bad actress + TVB bad scrip trend = doom to fail

Login or Register before you can reply to Kathy
    18. air says:

why didn’t her dad, mom or brother teach her how to act?

Login or Register before you can reply to air

I just realised this article did not mention which series she has benn cast in. I am confused.

20. P. Tan says:

The article says that Jennifer Tse will be cast with Kevin in a legal drama. In another article, however, it says Kevin and Ruco will be in a police/crime drama with Tavia. No mention of Jennifer whatsoever. You’re right, Funn, it is rather confusing.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
    21. P. Tan says:

I do hope the latter report of the Kevin-Ruco-Tavia casting is the right one. Anyway, looking forward to watching Kevin in a TVB series and speaking Cantonese in his own voice again.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
    22. Mindy says:

This article is misleading and should of never been posted

Yes Kevin is returning to tvb for a drama in may confirmed to film with Ruco.

But no mention of a female lead.

Jennifer IS NOT confirmed for any series yet, there are only rumors of her being in a drama. This article is very inaccurate and misleading.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mindy
      • Fox replied:

According to one article, Jennifer said tat she’ll act in a Txb series, so actually she confirmed with one series.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
        • Xiaomei replied:

2014年6月 香港 時裝律政新劇 黃智賢、蘇玉華、謝婷婷 陳維冠
          I saw above info on the other website,but it has not confirmed yet. As long as tvb do not pair up Jennnifer with Kevin Cheng & Ruco Chan, it should be ok.

Login or Register before you can reply to Xiaomei
    23. eh ok TVB… 40+ guy and 30+ girl… eh ok…. really crappy age chemistry there… oh wait… theres money… so all is ok!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to [email protected]
      • lol replied:

nothing wrong there but jennifer wouldnt film with an anverage tv king and average tvb artist its gotta be the guy with the biggest market etc kevin

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
    24. Lucia says:

I hope the female lead is Tavia either pairing with Kevin or Ruco!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
      • Xiaomei replied:

Yes, I agreed. “Let’s keep our fingers crossed”

Login or Register before you can reply to Xiaomei