Mag Lam Releases New Cantonese Album “District 23”

By on September 25, 2013 in MUSIC

After a discouraging year full of health rumors and gossip about a stalled career, Mag Lam (林欣彤) is back with a brand new Cantonese release.

One of the most successful winners from singing competition franchise The Voice <超級巨聲>, Mag quickly achieved a large fan following for her strong vocals and sweet image. She was immediately picked up by EEG after winning first place on The Voice 2, and released several popular albums that won her many music industry awards. In mid 2012, Mag temporarily lost her voice after suffering injury to her vocal cord. She was forced to go on hiatus, and during this time, allegedly became depressed about her career prospects. She also reportedly suffered from an eating disorder, looking extremely thin when she returned to her activities in public.

Thankfully, Mag carries a fighter’s spirit and made it through the difficult times. Mag will release her third music album, District 23, on September 26. A collection of powerful songs about taking charge in life, District 23 is the product of famed music producers Carl Wong (王雙駿) and Schumann (舒文). Mag also made her debut as a songwriter, contributing music and lyrics to two tracks: “Soap” <番梘> and “Time” <時間>.

“Soap”, her first single off the new album, is an empowering piece with a message against bullying. Backed by addicting beats, Mag urges listeners to not be afraid of baseless criticism, and to transform pain into the strength we need to pick ourselves up against our oppressors.

Another notable track is pop ballad “One Thousand and One Lives” <一千零一次人生>. A perfect match for Mag’s beautiful voice, the song describes the ordinary feelings and experiences people tend to take for granted, and encourages everyone to live without regrets. Its meaningful lyrics even brought Mag to tears in the recording studio, realizing the many things she had missed out on.

To achieve the specific image portrayed by Mag’s new songs, EEG hired an acclaimed team of artists to create the album cover. Dressed in thick winter clothes, Mag endured a ten-hour shoot under Hong Kong’s sweltering August heat, but remained professional and in good spirits. Although it was a difficult photo shoot, the results made everything worthwhile. Mag looked stunning with her light pink hair and naive white dress, resembling nature’s fairy against a backdrop of Tai Po’s lovely greenery.

Tracklist

“Time” MV

“So You Think”- Audio Only

“Independent” – Audio Only

“Aerial Lovers” – MV

“Little Something”- Audio Only

Sources: eegmusic.com, Oriental Daily, moov.hk

This article is written by Katrine for JayneStars.com.

17 comments to Mag Lam Releases New Cantonese Album “District 23”

1. LP says:

the way she talks is annoying. she likes to slur her words

Login or Register before you can reply to LP
  2. jayne says:

There are a few gems in Mag’s new album, such as “Little Something”, “Aerial Lovers”, and “I Am a Singer”. However, she looks too thin and tired from her weight loss.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
  3. LP says:

I like So You Think

Login or Register before you can reply to LP
    • Puff replied:

Me too. Good song, good voice.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
  4. Joanne says:

She still dun have the “star aura”.

Login or Register before you can reply to Joanne
    • bunny replied:

agreed. she looks like a commoner. the company should get a better makeover for her~ kpop is soaring cuz they have great makeover~

Login or Register before you can reply to bunny
  5. AC says:

I’ve been a fan of hers since she was on the voice. I will definitely be getting her album, especially since it’s actually available on U.S.’s Itunes!

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
  6. iawnaek says:

With the way she screech all her high notes I’m not surprised she lost her voice. Overrated singer.

Login or Register before you can reply to iawnaek
    • bubbles replied:

Agree. She can’t sing. If she could she wouldn’t lose her voice

Login or Register before you can reply to bubbles
  7. Bonnie says:

I’ve never heard her previous music (and didn’t follow the Voice). But she has a pretty voice! Funny how everyone favors a different song… the one that made me run for the download is ‘So you think’.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bonnie
  8. missmoon says:

She slurs in her songs and is overated

Login or Register before you can reply to missmoon
  9. Megamiaow says:

Still find her songs boring. Probably the only one OKish is 1001 Lives.

Login or Register before you can reply to Megamiaow

“She also reportedly suffered from an eating disorder, looking extremely thin when she returned to her activities in public.”

And whose fault is it? Recording company, that’s who!

11. CLAM says:

I actually like her voice. Perhaps there are some slurring in some words but its her distinctive signature.

I like One Thousand And One Lives. Think she has overcome quite a lot of obstacles. The industry is tough

Login or Register before you can reply to CLAM
  12. Hippo says:

She has actually the best singing voice, though I agree she talks a bit weird.
    My favorite HK singer.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hippo
  13. Holiday says:

Hi!! Mag lam has a very good voice and great singing as well me to I agree to hippo:)

Login or Register before you can reply to Holiday
  14. Holiday says:

But I think she just had a bit weird voice but she is very good singer and she is also my favorite singer

Login or Register before you can reply to Holiday