Koo Ming Wah Experiences Celebrity Treatment for First Time

By on December 28, 2012 in NEWS, Star Interviews

It is a running joke that many only know Koo Ming Wah’s (古明華) name as his popular onscreen alter-ego – the feminine and flamboyant “So Gei” from Divas in Distress <巴不得媽媽>. It is also this role that shot Koo Ming Wah to fame, leading to TVB’s Best Supporting Actor award in addition to more money making opportunities including promotional appearances and product endorsements. For this actor, who has been acting for over 18 years, this journey is certainly one that he could never have imagined.

“Looking back upon 2012, I would use the phrase [Unimaginable] to describe it. Even if the world ended tomorrow, I have no regrets,” Koo said.

Koo Ming Wah certainly has not slowed down ever since Divas in Distress aired earlier this year. Whether it is conducting interviews, filming a commercial or making special appearances, Koo has never experienced such a hectic schedule. “I’m 48 years old – I’ve never done more interviews in my life! When I went to Malaysia for a special appearance, I even received flowers from fans, like a true celebrity. All of this fame in an instant was a bit overwhelming for me. It feels like I’m a grown man in a baby’s body; everyday is a new challenge because I don’t know what to expect.”

Following graduation from The Hong Kong Academy of Performing Arts, Koo Ming Wah’s acting career consisted mainly of playing the supportive villainous roles such as a drug addict or a convict, roles that were never memorable, nor very well-liked or consistent. His daughter even asked if he can stop accepting those types of roles because her friends were teasing her at school.

Two years ago, Koo approached TVB and asked if he can transition to doing voice-overs and stay behind the scenes. “I felt a bit disappointed but that’s how life works! Just when I thought transitioning to being behind the scenes was going to bring my family some stability, ‘So Gei’ changed everything in a flash. I’m extremely grateful for everything so far and adopted a ‘work as much as I can’ mentality. I just want to be able to provide a comfortable, healthy and happy environment for my family.”

As for Koo Ming Wah’s next steps, fans will be able to see him in the Tiger Cubs <飛虎> sequel, again as a villain. “I hope that next year I can leave behind the ‘So Gei’ style”, he said.

Source: Sudden Weekly #909 via kuangaitvb.com

This article is written by Natalie for JayneStars.com.

18 comments to Koo Ming Wah Experiences Celebrity Treatment for First Time

1. aptos says:

Don’t get stardom get to your head…stay grounded!

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
    • jayne replied:

Aptos,
      Koo Ming Wah has been around for 18 years and knows that his moment of fame may be fleeting if he doesn’t grasp on properly.

His career has been bitter for almost 2 decades and finally found some sweetness this year.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • aptos replied:

I know that KMW has been around the block for a number of years as bit actor and playing the part of waiter in a teahouse or something. Just wish him all the best for 2013.

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos
  2. LUCY says:

I love it when artists that have been working for so long finally get recognized

Login or Register before you can reply to LUCY
    • momo replied:

I agree. Really happy that hes finally getting recognition.

OMG, can’t wait for Tiger Cubs II 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to momo
  3. skinnymocha says:

Ah, I hope this isn’t some flash in the pan or for him to be pulled back to nameless roles again. Good luck, KMW~

Login or Register before you can reply to skinnymocha
  4. Ric says:

I think KMW is facing a lot of pressure. If his next role fails, he will likely fall back to obscurity. We will just have to see.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
  5. Woot says:

I’m very happy for you, KMW! Whatever Roy is, everyone remembers your name now and I wish you all the success!

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
    • Woot replied:

Typo error: Whatever it is*

Login or Register before you can reply to Woot
  6. ks says:

I find that after the exodus of stars out of tvb, many artists like kmw, Oscar Leone, are given the opportunity to showcase their talent. so, ppl like charmaine sheh and bowie lam leaving isn’t that bad after all

Login or Register before you can reply to ks
    • Godon replied:

Bowie Lam and Charmaine Sheh’s departure won’t affect TVB as much in the coming years since their stardom has already faded. In the coming years, all these new people and newly found talent will rise. then, in another decade, people like Charmaine and Bowie will come back again and shine like crazy, just like Michael Miu, etc. It’s all a system and a cycle.

Login or Register before you can reply to Godon
    • sandcherry replied:

Koo Ming Wah or Oscar Leung can NEVER replace Charmaine Sheh or Bowie Lam. KMW and OL are only support artistes, not lead artistes.

Very happy for Koo Ming Wah that he eventually got some recognition from TVB for his acting. However, I also feel sorry for Power Chan because he deserved the Best Supporting Actor Award in 2012.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  7. Godon says:

This is so long deserved for him. So glad he won, in fact the only thing I cared about during the awards was his victory in BSA. I hope he has good and better roles in the future.

Login or Register before you can reply to Godon
  8. CocoPanda says:

OMG! IS there gonna be Tiger Clubs 2?? If so I’m sooooo excited~~

Login or Register before you can reply to CocoPanda
    • CocoPanda replied:

*Tiger Cubs 2

Login or Register before you can reply to CocoPanda
      • Ben replied:

Wow Tiger Cup sequel, Mr Koo sure can be drug lord or bad ass, his look and gesture sure fit the villian role 100%

Login or Register before you can reply to Ben
      • Ben replied:

Mr Koo will be Kingpin of year 2013

Login or Register before you can reply to Ben
  9. Uni says:

well deserved! His character was so hilarious and queer sometimes. Loved it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Uni