By on December 13, 2011 in NEWS, TV Dramas

Niki Chow (周麗淇), Raymond Wong (黃浩然), Tracy Ip (葉翠翠), Elaine Yiu (姚子羚), and Jack Wu (胡諾言) promoted their new series, Bottled Passion <我的如意狼君> yesterday. Niki indicated her joy that Bottled Passion received the top ratings last week and was not a second-tier drama. Asked whether Niki felt happy due to her drama topping the ratings over former love rival, Charmaine Sheh’s (佘詩曼) When Heaven Burns <天與地>, Niki noted that she will be in trouble no matter how she answered the question. Niki pleaded with the press to let her go.

Niki indicated that she was currently single and was very “dry.” Asked to comment on recent rumors that she had broken up with her wealthy boyfriend, Niki said, “Please do not sprinkle salt upon my wounds! I am currently very dry and will focus on work!” Stressing that no matter what happens, she will need to continue to live and the world will continue to spin.

Asked whether she had congratulated ex-boyfriend, Kevin Cheng (鄭嘉穎) upon winning the three Best Actor Awards in Malaysia, Hong Kong, and Singapore respectively, Niki noted that she had already congratulated his recent Best Actor wins at Toby Leung’s (梁靖琪) wedding last week, “It was a happy occasion. Whoever I saw, I congratulated. Coincidentally, Kevin Cheng passed by, thus I congratulated him.”

Source: On.cc

Jayne: I think Bottled Passion received 26 points in its ratings for the first week of broadcast, while When Heaven Burns got 23 points? Why such low ratings for When Heaven Burns?

104 comments to Niki Chow’s “Bottled Passion” Wins Ratings Over Ex-Love Rival, Charmaine Sheh’s “When Heaven Burns”

1. Ric says:

WHB has an interesting plot but I don’t find it captivating. It doesn’t make me want to watch while the end of each episode of BP makes me look forward to the next. Tim gor is always a good guarantee.

It should be recognized that the HK audience is comprised mainly of see lai and without a doubt, genres like BP are more preferred in that demographic than WHB.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ric
  2. gold4canada says:

26 points is still low, not exactly something to boost about. “when heaven burns” is a huge fail considering the star cast.

Login or Register before you can reply to gold4canada
    • Dahlia replied:

i only watched the 1st episode of WHB and I don’t get it. And unfortunately it doesn’t make me want to see the other episode to understand the whole story. I’m glad I didn’t continue watching it since the series is a fail.

Login or Register before you can reply to Dahlia
  3. Kidd says:

WHB’s rating is low because it’s not a series you can watch while multitasking. You have to pay attention to it. It’s a character driven series. So, it’s less exciting than a plot driven series like BP.

It’s like Wong Kar Wai movies. Not everyone can enjoy. But, it received good comments from people within the circle. Even Apple Daily praised it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • moses replied:

Do you mean WHB storyline more suitable for people between age 20-40 while BP for people from 40 and above ,are plot in WHB more complex than BP?

Login or Register before you can reply to moses
      • Kidd replied:

I don’t know if this kind of series is age specific or not. But, I heard from the radio show that the series drove away ‘si lai’ but attracted young male viewers that seldom watch TV series. Maybe because of the music and band element in the series.

I won’t say the plot is complex since some viewers complain that nothing ‘exciting’ is happening. But, episode 1 might confuse people because of the flashback technique it uses.

It’s more a character study. It shows how the 4 surviving people react to the incident and how their life changed because of the incident. It slowly reveals why the people did what they did.

Also, there are some scenes that might make you feel nostalgic like reunion scene between the 4 friends that reminds me of my own reunion with by school friends.

TVB series nowadays tend to tell a lot. Everything series want to convey must be spoken out by the characters. But, this series sometime use only images to tell the story.

There are also some social commentary.

‘This City is Dying!’

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • Disneyfan replied:

I agree that WHB is deeper than most TVB drama which is why I love it. Yes, not every episode is exciting but you get to understand the characters more, that is what this show is aiming at.

In addition, I love the casts, I think they all acted thier hearts out for this series, especially Moses, Bowie and Charmaine.

Login or Register before you can reply to Disneyfan
  4. Veejay says:

I don’t think Niki is even angry at Kevin anymore since she said she congratulated him during Toby’s wedding. There is nothing between Niki and Charmaine too..the reporters are jsut too much sometimes.. putting ppl into tight moment

5. Ruby says:

I agreed with Moses, BP more suitable fr age 40 above, I found it very boring and predictable. Bcoz of Raymond Wong keep me continue. .I will stop soon.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ruby
    • Veejay replied:

Im 30 this year and I prefer BP over WHB..

• ping replied:

i wouldn’t attribute it to age..but it’s a matter of taste and patience.

im 23 and enjoying whb.

Login or Register before you can reply to ping
      • moon16 replied:

Me too

Login or Register before you can reply to moon16
      • moon16 replied:

I meant I prefer BF over WHB

Login or Register before you can reply to moon16
    • Lala replied:

im 22 and love BP over WHB =)

Login or Register before you can reply to Lala
    • Fox replied:

I’m under 40 and I haven’t watched both :P.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • JN replied:

Love your comment Fox. You cracked me up! Almost fell off my chair 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to JN
    • Vivien replied:

BP: Niki is pretty and can cry, Raymond is hot, story is good and not boring, cast are fresh

WHB: Old cast repeated, filmed in a pretty art school way but story is boring, Moses look fake and horrible

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
      • Carole replied:

I prefer Nikki than overused Mollie Wu, Fala and Linda Chung. I don’t find her acting bad.

Login or Register before you can reply to Carole
      • QY replied:

I don’t like Niki. I like WHB. And I’m 20. Guess old people can’t appreciate this show.

Login or Register before you can reply to QY
  6. AC says:

I think there could be a combination of things that contribute to the low ratings for When Heaven Burns. First of all, the cast is not anything refreshing since there have been many series that have had Charmaine/Moses/Bowie/Kenny/Maggie/Queenie in it. The concept of eating a person may turn people away and the story is a little slow and most of the time, nothing happens at the end of the episode to make people want to turn into the next episode.

Though there are some people who praise it, I can also see why people would stop watching the series. I haven’t finished watching the series so I might like the whole thing when I’m finished, but as of now it’s a little dreary (especially for Xmas time!) and not for my taste. Also, I am NOT a see lai.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    • josie replied:

Yeah, WHB is kinda slow and somber but I actually like how the flashbacks are intermixed w/ the present. I’m glad that stuff is finally happening in the last episode.

What’s up w/ ray Wong’s hair in the pic above?
      He’s very handsome and I know he has his plans in the series but I kept thinking of him as a “duck” in the shoes scene w/ Elaine. Like have u no pride?

Login or Register before you can reply to josie
      • Veejay replied:

But that’s how a guy can “lum” a girl..the girl (elaine) never have any guy to wipe her feet and all of a sudden this so called rich businessman RW wipes her feet (so Elaine feels kinda surprised and though RW has feelings for her)

• exoidus replied:

haha, i was thinking the same thing. but don’t girls falls for these things, LOL

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • Veejay replied:

Girls will fall for anything ONLY IF THE GUY is HANDSOME!

and sorry la, if the guy is fat, clumsy and dirtpoor…

• exoidus replied:

hahaha,

likewise the siren song only works coming from plastic enhanced dolls 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
      • Fox replied:

Girls will fall for anything ONLY IF THE GUY is HANDSOME!

Generalization! Girls also fall for talented guys.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Vivien replied:

It’s always better to watch Raymond Wong than Moses 😉

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien

I am watching Bottled Passion which I am enjoying very much. Somehow WHB is too stylistic for me, on the verge of pretentious. I suppose I like something straightforward like Bottled Passion. That being said, Nikki Chow is a terrible actress.

• Vivien replied:

Disagreed. Niki is doing fine and she can cry well too. If put another of the overused TVB new 5 fadans I’ll grow tired of the series fast. Now every episode has good pace and keep people watching.

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
      • Funn Lim replied:

Don’t think so. I can’t feel her sorrow. Very bad crier, but worse actress.

• Funn Lim replied:

I’d rather an overused fadan who can act and is right for the role.

• Carole replied:

I prefer Nikki over Myollie Wu, Tavia and Linda.

Login or Register before you can reply to Carole
    • Pearlie replied:

Truth speaks louder than words lah!
      Look at Jaynestars poll and u will know how wrong u r!
      Niki is enjoying top rating right now for her role and skills.
      Please don’t be so blatantly subjectively and biased.

Login or Register before you can reply to Pearlie
      • Kidd replied:

And you are not overly subjective and bias in your great love of BP and Nikki?

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  8. iciel says:

I was excited about WHB when it first came out but after 3-4 episodes, it starts to get really boring. It’s not something that you would look forward to everyday. On the other hand, I think BP will do great. The plot is really interesting so far and all the actors/actresses are good. I normally don’t like Nikki’s acting very much but she’s doing great. At least her crying doesn’t make me cringe. And Raymond, god, that man is HOT!

Login or Register before you can reply to iciel
    • cl replied:

I really like BP as well. There’s something about it that makes me want to keep on watching.

Login or Register before you can reply to cl
    • Eunice replied:

Ditto to Raymond is hot part. LOL!

Login or Register before you can reply to Eunice
      • Veejay replied:

i think Raymond Wong is hotter than Ron in person.

9. Loekie says:

Love BP. Great story, great casting, great plot! Good job Tim gor!

Raymond Wong is very hot. Love when he talk with his eyes. Niki is not the best actress. But she fix the roll. She crying is much better then tavia. At least I’m not tired of niki’s crying.

I’m looking forward to the next ep of BP.

Login or Register before you can reply to Loekie
    • Veejay replied:

Elaine Yiu is quite pretty too in BP..She did good job in acting there.

• Funn Lim replied:

But her hair, like helmet.

• Veejay replied:

haha, I think her hair looks like a “cow s***” in cantonese. With the curls on top of it.

• Lala replied:

haha so agree about Raymond being hot! These day while other people my age go crazy for Raymond Lam im crushing on Raymond Wong and Ruco =P

Login or Register before you can reply to Lala
    • Funn Lim replied:

Talking about Tavia, she should have been in Nikki’s role. But her nose will distract me, but before the nose-gate, she would have been perfect for this role.

• Veejay replied:

Do you think linda will suit this role besides TY?

• Funn Lim replied:

Linda will look like a little girl next to pale looking raymond. I think Tavia will do well but you know, the Tavia now is not the Tavia I remember.

• Veejay replied:

Funn,

I think Linda can also act tough in this series since she acted ok and tough in ROW

• Funn Lim replied:

Can, can she can no problem but the old Tavia would have been ideal. She looks good in these kind of settings. Linda also, since the new Tavia is distracting.

• Lala replied:

i agree. did you see the sales presentation? her nose was like too distracting espesh for “the prominent family” i was like waaaaaaah :0/ i think the “new” Tavia suits evil role cos well… i dont wanna sound mean but she looks/reminds me of a witch when she has heavy eye make up… I miss the old Tavia.. i liked the fact she didnt come from a beauty pageant… sigh…

Login or Register before you can reply to Lala
      • Veejay replied:

lala,

I lol’ed at your comment about Ty’s nose resembles a witch 🙂

• Vivien replied:

Tavia can’t replace Niki. Niki gives fresher feeling than the 5 new fadans and BP won’t be as good if it’s not Niki and only one of the 5.

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
      • joh replied:

What about Myolie playing Niki role? She never done those roles before except for the happy go lucky character type in GJ, RB,and War in laws.

Login or Register before you can reply to joh
      • Funn Lim replied:

Myolie? No. Not her. Worst casting if her.

• Veejay replied:

I think only TY has that “cotage feel” to play Niki’s role..

and I don’t think Niki brings any “refreshing feel” in BP although I like how the BP story goes so far..Niki has been a while in tvb and she played some role in tvb on and off..maybe to me, she is just another common artist and I agree with some ppl here that Niki’s acting is still pretty stiff..she really need to polish her acting skill.

• Lala replied:

@Funn Lim
        haha i know it sounds harsh but thats honestly what pops in my mind when describing Tavia’s look nowadays – which is sad

hmmm how about Mandy Wong playing Niki’s role?? I know Mandy can play a strong char haven’t seen her vulnerable side yet to

Login or Register before you can reply to Lala
      • Lala replied:

whoops meant @veejay =P

Login or Register before you can reply to Lala
      • Veejay replied:

Dont worry about being harsh on TY since I’m not her fan :P…

maybe mandy wong can act Niki’s role..

• exoidus replied:

Linda playing Nikki’s role and perhaps replacing Ruco with Raymond Wong would be fine.

Either way Raymond is great in BP

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  10. Lala says:

Im only chasing “Bottled Passion” too and not “When Heaven Burns” i watched both series at the same time and usually i can tolerate “okay” dramas but i find “When Heaven Burns” kinda boring while “Bottled Passion” im always wanting to know what happens next.
    And i dunno i find “When Heaven Burns” Kinda “fake” the “cool” vibe they try to give off is kinda cringful to me and not to mention Moses tatts i was like are they serious? they try too hard to be hardcore i just dont but it (ive only watched a few eps and have stopped)

And i think its a pity that “Bottled Passion” is a fillar show for the holidays (people are not likely to be at home) if aired another time during the year i think it would have good ratings also one thing i like about “Bottled Passion” no overpromoted cast!!!!! Its fresh and im not a fan of Elaine or Katy Kung but im still watching but then again they get played in the series haha)

But yeah +1 Bottled Passion =)

Login or Register before you can reply to Lala
    • iciel replied:

I’m actually looking forward to Katy and Elaine’s acting in this series ^^ I’ve always been a fan of Elaine. Her eyes are so expressive. As for Katy, she’s still fresh, but after watching Be Home For Dinner, I can say that Katy has great potential. I was surprised that she was able to snatch an important role so soon. I hope this series’ rating will go up later.

Login or Register before you can reply to iciel
    • Vivien replied:

BP has a fresh cast! Niki is a fresh face and her acting is good so far. Raymond Wong is hot as always!

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
  11. Larry 3 says:

I liked Bottled Passion, it is intersting.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    • Vivien replied:

BP has better storyline than WHB. I think WHB although filmed well but story is boring and put me to sleep

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
  12. Ruby says:

I dont like WHB neither. Any other good series to recommend?
    I agree with Funn Lim, Nikki Chow is terrible actress.
    Raymond Wong very hot n stylist in this movie.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ruby
  13. Minami says:

I guess I may be shallow but I prefer BP and that is saying quite a bit as I don’t like any of the cast in BP.

WHB tries too hard – it is quite pretentious..and I can’t stand the way Charmaine and Moses especially try to give off the cool vibe – kinda laughable and annoying at the same time.

I can’t watch one whole episode of WHB regardless if I am multitasking or not – the flashback technique is not done well and I think the actors portraying their young versions especially the girl for Charmaine’s character cannot act and is extremely annoying.

Login or Register before you can reply to Minami
  14. exoidus says:

BP is great and one of the few series from TVB this year that i like.

Didn’t noticed Raymond Wong’s real acting talent before this one and the supporting cast is also very nice.

TVB should promote RW more he and Ruco are the best TVB got…

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  15. moonriver says:

I agree with some of the comments above that WHB feels pretentious and the flashbacks aren’t well done. As much as I want to see Bowie act, the whole union thing is just boring. I am at episode 4 and I am losing my patience….

Login or Register before you can reply to moonriver
    • Kidd replied:

I do agree that the union part and the politic part is kinda boring. It’s a pretty dry subject.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  16. loungegirl says:

Finally had the chance to watch Bottled Passion… I like it a lot – very refreshing casts and interesting story. Raymond Wong is great here and very well-suited for the role. Niki is terrible though (I don’t remember her acting being this bad or was it always this bad??) but fortunately, her bad acting is not affecting the drama significantly. I think BP is one of the better dramas of 2011 – such a shame it is being aired so late in the year and missed the TVB Anniversary awards. WHB is a bit of a disappointment. It’s tiresome having to wait for something to happen and nothing (exciting) seems to happen.

By the way, the setting of Bottled Passion seem so similar to Rosy Business 2!

Login or Register before you can reply to loungegirl
    • Loekie replied:

Maybe is the Tim gor style 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Loekie
      • loungegirl replied:

Or maybe low budget.. =)
        ie. buildings and rooms very similar to RB2

Login or Register before you can reply to loungegirl
    • Loekie replied:

Also agree the best dramas of 2011. At least one of the most memorable drama of the year!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Loekie
    • Lol replied:

Because it’s from the same era and the same town…that’s why it’s similar to rb2.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lol
      • exoidus replied:

It’s called synergy i.e. using the same resources to reduce costs. TVB is good at these kind of stuff and example is klfs dying over and over, hehe

Login or Register before you can reply to exoidus
  17. purplepaw says:

bottled passion definitely started off a lot better than when heaven burns, but whb is definitely getting more interesting in the latest episodes. definitely started watching bp because of raymond. honestly never really liked niki, so i was surprised niki’s acting is pretty decent.

Login or Register before you can reply to purplepaw
  18. wen wen says:

I’m watching both BP and WHB…and I like BP, regarding WHB I starting to watch and just up to 2 episodes and I will continue to watch and see which parts that make this series interesting, heard some people said WHB boring and others said interesting…hope I will like WHB, anyway love the casts 

Login or Register before you can reply to wen wen
  19. Jack says:

I don’t agree with the comments that BP appeals to people 40 and above. I’m in my 20’s and I really enjoy BP so far.

Login or Register before you can reply to Jack
    • Lol replied:

…and I really enjoy Raymond Wong :-p…loved him ever since Sweetness of the Salt. TVB, please give him more opportunities and better roles.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lol
      • moon16 replied:

I am so in love with him in Sweetness of the Salt too,,,,

Login or Register before you can reply to moon16
      • Vivien replied:

He’s better and cuter than Steven Ma in SOTS

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
  20. o.o says:

Well, I’m 16, and I’m loving BP more than WHB. I’m not a ‘si lai’ right?

Oh, and maybe I’m too young to fully appreciate WHB.

BP ftw! Ray Wong is too hot in here. See, I’m only 16.

Login or Register before you can reply to o.o
  21. Veejay says:

I see many praising RW for his hotness in BP, maybe RW will be the next Ruco soon?

• Fox replied:

Younger version of Ruco. I know RW is older than Ruco but seriously, he looks younger.

Hmm, I’ll say RW is hot if he looks less pale.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Vivien replied:

There are already many tan guys. Pale skin makes RW look cleaner.

Login or Register before you can reply to Vivien
  22. She says:

Nikki pls go back home sleep…dun even think ur acting will be better that Charmanie!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to She
    • joh replied:

Niki’s acting is better then Charmaine’s.

Login or Register before you can reply to joh
      • QY replied:

Charmaine is FAR BETTER than Niki please. my goodness!

Login or Register before you can reply to QY
  23. Kristy says:

i’m 18 years old and i prefer BP over WHB LOL! and yes, i did try watching WHB but it didn’t make me feel conpel to watch the next episode, but BP always have me hanging to watch the episode. & imo, Niki’s acting is less annoying than Charmaine…glad to see her back 🙂 well everyone, enjoy watching whichever series you like best~

Login or Register before you can reply to Kristy
  24. Mimi says:

I love BP and can’t wait for next episode. I have stopped watching WHB altogether now as its boring and I’ve got better things to do..Always love a love story.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mimi
  25. j00ky says:

I haven’t seen either series yet.. but Nikki and Raymond look so cute together! ;D

Login or Register before you can reply to j00ky
    • Dahlia replied:

i thought they’re gonna date in realy life, cos they have such good chemistry in the series, but then i found out that he’s a happily married man.

Login or Register before you can reply to Dahlia
  26. Ava says:

I think Nikki has improved lots. She definately brings in a fresh new vibe in BP.

Login or Register before you can reply to Ava
  27. astaalavistababy88 says:

This drama is really dull. As soon as I had watched the first episode, I didn’t bother carrying on.

Login or Register before you can reply to astaalavistababy88
    • Dahlia replied:

feel sorry for you cos this series is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Dahlia
    • Pearlie replied:

Are you sure u understand the language or did u get the right glasses, lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Pearlie
  28. Lynne says:

Oh BP is definitely worth watching.
    I don’t really like pre-modern but BP is entertaining. The pace is pretty comfortable and each episode has a climax that makes u dying to find out.NIki is fresh face and not overhyped in her acting. I think she has her unique style and charisma.She will certainly shine given more exposure. I like her.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lynne
    • Pearlie replied:

Sure, Niki is suited for this role and I really like Tsui Sum.
      *If CS is Tsui Sum(TS), she will request for prettier image, “acts” with her deliberated moves and smiles, moans like chicken.
      *If TY is TS, she will have to shorten her nose and trim her eyelashes…and her crying will be like waterfall.
      And no Kate, Linda or Fala…NO NO NO
      Only NIKI!

Login or Register before you can reply to Pearlie
  29. Lynne says:

I m into episode 12 and already obsessed with the story. Nobody can replace Niki in her role. She is convincing and does not have ‘to act’ for the sake of acting. some of the fadans really “ACT” with contorted facial expression and hyena-like wailing.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lynne
    • Dahlia replied:

OMG I totally agree with you!! I understand why people likes to condemn Niki so much. Her acting is not that bad. I only started to watch this series because of her!

Login or Register before you can reply to Dahlia
    • Yim replied:

Agreed ladies! I’m crazy obsessed with the show!

Login or Register before you can reply to Yim
  30. Kidd says:

I just watch episode 1. Honestly, I don’t have the urge to watch episode 2. This series just reminds me of other Lee Tim Shing series I watch like Rosy Business, A Fistful of Stances and Safe Guard. It’s same old same old. Very formulaic. Even got one emotional family scene in episode. But, I will continue to watch it since Eric Li is playing a good guy here and it’s not very often Eric Li gets good guy roles. So, I’ll continue watching for Eric Li. I hope the series will show something different later.

Nikki is ok. I think she acted competently in episode 1. She is suitable for this role.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
    • Funn Lim replied:

Niki was horrible but Raymond was better. Watch another episode. If you can watch thru WHB you can certainly get thru this. It takes about 2 more episodes to settle down and it is very addictive after that. However I still wish

SPOILERS!!!

Sugar candy girl to be someone else. THat would have been more dramatic but very cruel to poor Tung Boon Sin. Eric Li in every scene is eating.

31. lve88 says:

likeing “Bottled Passion more then
    “When Heaven Burns” only watch the few min of When heaven burns boring

Login or Register before you can reply to lve88
  32. Tvb_lover9 says:

Well, Nikki improved a lot is what I think. Well, we shouldn’t judge them lots . The creative director does that job. Raymond is definetly the right person for that. Kenneth would maybe suite in better. Um. Steven NO! But Raymond definetly suits the drama style and the script. AWESOME!

Login or Register before you can reply to Tvb_lover9