Obituary: “Growing Through Life” Actress, Vionn Song, Died of Cancer

By on March 5, 2013 in NEWS, Obituaries

Twenty-seven-year-old mainland Chinese actress, Vionn Song (宋汶霏), who starred alongside Bosco Wong (黃宗澤) and Raymond Lam (林峰) from Growing Through Life <摘星之旅>,  passed away due to uterine cancer. She died in her Guangzhou residence on March 3 at 12:30 AM. Zhang Lingzhi (章齡之) broke the news of Vionn’s passing on her blog.

Vionn Song was born on May 30, 1985. She rose to stardom in 2008’s Dancer <舞者> and was well liked for her role in 2010 TVB series, Growing Through Life, where her character was involved in a complex love triangle with Bosco and Raymond.

It was revealed to the media that Vionn has been sick for a while and underwent chemotherapy treatment twice. However, due to her filming schedule, Vionn also delayed her treatment for 4 months.

Lingzhi Zhang and Vionn became close friends after filming Dancer <舞者> together. “When she first found out about illness, she had the time and opportunity to treat it. But she insisted on completing the shoot first and delayed treatment for 4 months. When she was ready to start the treatment, it was already too late. Vionn is an extremely strong girl. The last time I saw her was at my wedding. She was in good spirits at that time, chatting and laughing with the other guests.”

Lingzhi Zhang also shared that Vionn was adamant on completing the shoot because of her family’s financial situation. She was in need of money and could not take off from filming to treat her cancer. The last film that Vionn starred in was Looking for North <找北> in 2012.

Source: Sina.com, Sohu.com

This article is written by Natalie for JayneStars.com.

32 comments to Obituary: “Growing Through Life” Actress, Vionn Song, Died of Cancer

1. Lee says:

RIP

Login or Register before you can reply to Lee
    • looooooooooooooo replied:

she is pretty , talented and fluent in cantonese.RIP

Login or Register before you can reply to looooooooooooooo
  2. Karen says:

Sad that it’s money that indirectly delayed her treatment.

Login or Register before you can reply to Karen
    • HeTieShou replied:

It is and there are many in the circle and in this world who are in a tough financial situation,so in many cases have to sacrifice their health and well being just for money to survive. Many that have never been through it will not understand…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  3. Eunice says:

I definitely remember her from Growing Through Life. Quite shocking piece of news for me, she’s so young. R.I.P.

Login or Register before you can reply to Eunice
  4. HeTieShou says:

I just rewatched Growing Through Life recently and still remember her. Gosh, it is so sad but so sweet of her to sacrifice for her family, but she should have thought of her own health first. All of the money in the world cannot buy back your health.

I lost a close friend due to colon cancer and it was because he did not have health insurance so he did not even know that he had cancer. When he finally found out about it, it was too late… It is so sad when you delay treatment for anything serious like cancer. May she rest in peace and be away from all of the pains and pressures of life. She was so young.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  5. Lucia says:

Rest in Peace! She is a pretty actress but she passed away very young!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    • CHo replied:

definetely!

Login or Register before you can reply to CHo
  6. kk68 says:

Beautiful girl, R.I.P..

Login or Register before you can reply to kk68
  7. Lyle says:

It’s unfortunate I just rewarched GTL not too long ago, she’s a pretty good actress judging by that series.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lyle
  8. Cara says:

Oh gosh, that is so sad. RIP.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cara
  9. kiki says:

Ohh, i do remember her face. I didn’t finish that series but i do remember that face, she was kinda cute. Thats’s sad and to know she was so young. Sigh..sigh…

Login or Register before you can reply to kiki
  10. ita says:

Don’t know her, never saw her on any drama before.

Rest In Peace. So sad to hear that actually this could be avoided if She had the treatment earlier. Remind me of Anita Mui situation.

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
  11. Gar says:

Very saddened to hear about her passing as she was such a young and pretty girl with endless opportunities. It really scares me that cancer can strike at any age and at any moment, even sometimes going undetected until it is too late.

Rest in peace Vionn.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
  12. Bubblez says:

She died so young. :/
    I remember her in Growing through Life. I’m currently rewatching that drama.
    rest in peacee.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  13. RLF Lover says:

I remember disliking her very much in Growing Through Life, but it was her character that I detested and that means she’s a good actress. Saddened to hear of her passing. Rest in Peace, Vionn.

Login or Register before you can reply to RLF Lover

So young! But surely she should have been advised to start treatment immediately and not waste time.

15. Karbunda says:

She chose to delay treatment for her career but had she known this may cost her her life would she have chosen to be treated immediately? No matter what this is a very lovely person who died way, way too soon. I do enjoy watching her in GTL. I am most saddened by this news.

Login or Register before you can reply to Karbunda
  16. Larry 3 says:

Sad to she her that she did not survive this disease. Her acting is great. Growing Through Life, she did well even though I dont like it.

R.I.P.

Condolences to her family and her close friends.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  17. My Pham says:

RIP

Login or Register before you can reply to My Pham
  18. Fox says:

Her death is so sudden. And she is still very young.

But now I hope her little child will be taken care by a person who really love kid. She had to delay the treatment because of her child, but now when she passed away, the child…

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  19. sad says:

she was so young…rest in peace

Login or Register before you can reply to sad
  20. Mav says:

I’m saddened to hear this news. That was not worth it.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mav
  21. happybi says:

This is so sad.. she was so young. May she rest in peace.

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
  22. SY says:

A pity….she thought she had time, but at the end her time was up. If one has to choose money vs health especially like such terminal disease cancer, health should be the obvious choice because if you have health you’ll have the opportunity to earn the $$$$ back later. Should be a lesson to everyone to choose wisely.

Login or Register before you can reply to SY
  23. sky says:

RIP…it’s very sad to see someone so young to die.

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  24. Meiyi says:

Have not seen or hear her before, until now. She is pretty. Must watch the drama. R.I.P.

Login or Register before you can reply to Meiyi
  25. KBarrus says:

RIP, young lady. Very sad news! ( She being Ignorant on her part had delayed treatment! Had she known how fast cancer can spread she would have definitely reacted differently….Poor thing!)

Login or Register before you can reply to KBarrus
  26. Star says:

This is a shocking piece of news for me. I remember watching her in that show and I thought she was quite pretty and had good cantonese. Was definitely looking forward to seeing her in more TVB dramas, but this is very unfortunate and sudden. Life is so fragile…

Login or Register before you can reply to Star
  27. H says:

RIP. I hope her family is feeling better.

Login or Register before you can reply to H
  28. anoninhk says:

How sad! She was so pretty and young and had a promising career. May she RIP.

Login or Register before you can reply to anoninhk
  29. mosailan says:

awww. i don’t think i have seen her before but still, hope she rests in peace.

Login or Register before you can reply to mosailan