Benny Chan Dominates Summer Television with “A Happy Life”

By on July 11, 2013 in TV Dramas

The mythological TV drama, A Happy Life <天天有喜>, which is currently showing on Hunan Satellite TV, has seen its ratings soar since it began airing at the end of June. The series captured the number-one position in ratings nationwide, despite going against heavy hitters like The Patriot Yue Fei <精忠岳飛> and Legend of Goddess Luo <新洛神>, and has led fans to dub this year’s summer vacation as “the month of Benny Chan.”

In A Happy Life, Hong Kong actor/singer Benny Chan (陳浩民) plays Liu Feng, a filial man from a poverty-stricken family, who meets a crafty fox spirit named Bai Meiying. Played by mainland Chinese actress Monica Mu (穆婷婷), Meiying is an immortal princess who does not wish to marry another spirit. As a result, she asks Liu Feng to pretend to be her husband. As she is thrown headfirst into married life, she must resolve issues like getting along with her mother-in-law, carrying on the ancestral line, and educating the future generation.

When asked about working with Monica, Benny replied, “When Monica and I completely understand the personalities of each other’s characters and have extremely brilliant scenes together, the scenes are all very lively performances, no matter if we are fighting or quarreling. Also, they reveal even more interesting details from family life.”

Because Hunan TV previously aired The Legend of Crazy Monk <活佛濟公>, which also stars Benny, many netizens joked that this summer could be called “the month of Benny Chan,” since he appeared on television so often. One netizen even left a message saying, “During summer vacation, I don’t do my homework, because I’m watching Benny Chan’s A Happy Life.” In response, Benny sternly said, “I still hope that students will finish their homework before watching TV, otherwise I won’t welcome them to watch.”

“A Happy Life” Trailer

Sources: Hunantv.com

This article is written by Joanna for JayneStars.com.

How do you feel about this article?
Benny Chan Dominates Summer Television with “A Happy Life”

• Benny Chan Enjoys a Richer Life(17)
  • Benny Chan Cherishes Wife, Lisa Chiang(2)
  • EEG Invests $10 Billion in the Chinese Film Industry(3)
  • Photo of Benny Chan Shaving His Wife Stirs Controversy(31)
  • Benny Chan Welcomes Fourth Baby(10)
  • Benny Chan Enjoys Family Time with Three Kids(2)
  • Benny Chan Confirms Wife's Fourth Pregnancy(4)
  • Benny Chan Shares Family Photos(7)
  • Benny Chan Welcomes Third Child's Arrival(28)
  • Benny Chan And Wife Expecting Third Child(30)

• 18 comments to Benny Chan Dominates Summer Television with “A Happy Life”

1. Michael says:

Molester.

Login or Register before you can reply to Michael
    2. grandpa says:

looks so bad that its good

Login or Register before you can reply to grandpa
    3. Mazeltov says:

My sisters watch this every weeknights but I do not…Sorry, but I still find him disgusting although his wife had forgiven him..

Login or Register before you can reply to Mazeltov
      • HeTieShou replied:

I guess once that dark shadow casts over anyone, it never truly leaves. It is kind of like the Edison scandal. Everyone tries to forget and move on, but that dark shadow still hovers over them…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    4. lol says:

Well Benny lucky his had a few good series to save his career and Benny can totally act especially in comedies

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
      • lol replied:

And its good to hear Benny and anyone else career doing good

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
    5. peo says:

Bigot

Login or Register before you can reply to peo
      • Mt replied:

Are you saying Benny is a bigot? If so, may I ask why? I read some articles about him trying to touch this girl while on location (along with Joe Ma), but I’ve never heard anything about him being intolerant of other people’s beliefs/opinions and being prejudice. Please explain.

Login or Register before you can reply to Mt
        • HeTieShou replied:

You know, I really wonder what the whole story was??? Was Rose Chan truly as innocent as we think?? Did Benny and Joe truly have bad intentions??? Only those involved would truly know or those that were at that event and paid attention. Otherwise, none of us would know the 100% truth since things that we see on the surface may not be what they truly are…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
        • Mt replied:

I agree, we don’t know what really went on with Benny, Joe and Rose. But back to my question for peo, why did you call Benny a bigot??

Login or Register before you can reply to Mt
    6. jenny says:

I only watched this while waiting for Super Boy which broadcast at 10pm.

Login or Register before you can reply to jenny
      • Jun replied:

Me too

Login or Register before you can reply to Jun
    7. Veejay says:

Maybe it is just me, benny seems to be a little too old for that Looks.

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
    8. Canto says:

Looks like ex TVB Hong Kong celebrities are very popular in Mainland. They just lap up anything with an ex Hong Kong celebrity.

Login or Register before you can reply to Canto
    9. Charbydis says:

Patrick Tam is the only attractive feature in this trailer. Nothing else really looks good.

Login or Register before you can reply to Charbydis
    10. coco says:

I couldn’t even finish watching half the trailer. It was that bad. What is this mainland crap doing on this website anyways?

Login or Register before you can reply to coco
      • HeTieShou replied:

This site is not just HK series but also series from China and Korea are discussed as well. Many China series are very good so you should give them a chance instead of say things like that.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    11. ping0 says:

Benny’s crazy Monk seems to be super popular there is like up to part 5 and they are going to make a prequel , and he makes 250 k an ep so I am thinking he is banking and very popular in mainland.

Login or Register before you can reply to ping0