Eddie Kwan Jumps to the Moon in “Ruse of Engagement” Parody

By on April 3, 2014 in TV Dramas

The third week of broadcast for the TVB action-crime drama Ruse of Engagement <叛逃> is almost coming to an end, but netizens still have not forgotten about Eddie Kwan’s (關禮傑) superhuman leap across the Hong Kong skies.

In episode 5, which aired on March 21, 2014, Eddie Kwan’s character, the ATF leader Ngo Sir, demonstrated his strength to his trainees by jumping across two high buildings. As the two buildings were at least 6 to 7 meters apart, netizens joked that Eddie had already broken a world record with his high jump. The scene of his “world class-level” jump immediately went viral after it was uploaded online. Many people shared edited videos of Eddie jumping into random scenarios, and it became a popular Internet meme in Hong Kong.

Ruco Chan: “Eddie Kwan is Really Popular”

Yesterday Eddie Kwan, Ruco Chan and Shirley Yeung (楊思琦) attended a promotional event for their upcoming drama ICAC Investigators 2014 <廉政行動2014>. They talked about Eddie’s Internet meme, to which Eddie said that he was initially at a loss. Revealing that he was working in Thailand at the time, he had no idea that his scene became the talk of the town until his wife sent a fan-edit video of him jumping to the moon. “My friends couldn’t stop laughing at me,” said Eddie.

Ruco stated that he is glad to see so many spoofs of the scene, pointing out that it must mean that the public is paying attention to the series. “It’s better than no one watching it,” he said. Ruco then added with a laugh, “I told Eddie that he’s been really popular recently. He’s amazing!”

Shirley Yeung Denies Salary Cuts

It was earlier reported that Shirley Yeung was facing cuts in her TVB salary due to her declining public image and her status as a single mother. Additional rumors claimed that Shirley had to go through auditions in order to earn a contract renewal. Shirley denied, “I never had to do that before. I’ve been around for over a decade. I’m old. There’s no need to audition.”

She admitted that she is currently negotiating for a contract renewal, and stressed, “In the years I’ve been with TVB, my pay was never considered high.” As for whether or not she would be willing to accept a cut in salary, she said, “I don’t know! It’s negotiable. But the company is developing well now. Why would they cut our salaries?”

“Ruse of Engagement” Parody: Eddie Kwan Jumps to the Moon

Source: Ming Pao

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

25 comments to Eddie Kwan Jumps to the Moon in “Ruse of Engagement” Parody

1. her says:

its sanji’s sky walk

Login or Register before you can reply to her
    • sc replied:

Ah, a One Piece fan here i gather ^_^

Login or Register before you can reply to sc
  2. mun hon says:

laugh die me.

btw, eddie kwan is one good performer.

Login or Register before you can reply to mun hon
  3. sc says:

People watching and laughing at the ridiculousness is vastly different from people watching and really liking the show, imo. But in these rating-starved days, anything will do for TVB I guess.

Login or Register before you can reply to sc
  4. Best says:

Finally, Eddie is getting the attention. Is your time to shine again.

What does Shirley has to do with Eddie?

Login or Register before you can reply to Best
    • AC replied:

They were at a promotional event for the ICAC series together.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
  5. AC says:

I thought the parody was hilarious.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC

I forgot about the jump. Right now this series is doing great. Amazing suspense.

7. Charbydis says:

Eddie is a fit and handsome man with great acting skills! I love watching him!

Login or Register before you can reply to Charbydis
  8. Pete says:

Eddie Kwan should be nominate & win for Best Supporting Actor in TVB Anniversary Award.

Login or Register before you can reply to Pete
  9. buzz says:

Those netizens are just too mean. It’s easy to laugh and make fun but it’s no walk in the park for the actors to risk their lives filming this scene. Though it lasted only seconds on our TVs, it took a lot of blood, sweat, determination and courage to shoot this as no stand-ins were used. Anyone who has watched the “making of” clip will know what I’m talking about. I wonder if those netizens making fun of this scene will be willing to try out something so risky for themselves.

Login or Register before you can reply to buzz
    • Funn Lim replied:

It is to roe advantage that there is a meme that went viral. Or a parody. That scene itself is setting itself up for jokes. Interesting that Eddie got the laughs. No parody on Ruco’s jump?

• buzz replied:

That’s cos Ruco’s jump is more convincing as I’d mentioned before; he really looked like he made that giant leap betw the 2 buildings. Eddie’s jump looked like he was running in the air, thus it provided more room for the netizens’ creativity.

Login or Register before you can reply to buzz
  10. Pete says:

As for Shirley Yeung. When her contract is expired, don’t know if she could stay or leave TVB. It’s up to her.

Login or Register before you can reply to Pete
  11. Tammy says:

LOL hahaha.. That was pretty funny LOL. I like Eddie since the 80s. He’s a good actor.
    But that jump is pretty unrealistic LOL.

Login or Register before you can reply to Tammy
  12. Larry 3 says:

Well now, he is now famous on this clip then the everybody forgot the 80s series roles.

TVB special effects…. lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
    • HeTieShou replied:

That is not true since I still remember many of his roles in the 80s and 90s. I enjoyed many of his performances in a variety of roles. He is really a versatile actor.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  13. anoninhk says:

i stopped watching ruse after 5 episodes as i like none of the leads, but eddie really popped out in it. i wish he was given a bigger role with a romantic plot.

Login or Register before you can reply to anoninhk
  14. Nimrod says:

ROFL!! Cool vids!!

Eddie Kwan is a good and versatile actor same league as Benny Wong.

Login or Register before you can reply to Nimrod
  15. jp says:

Eddie u r great! Looking forward to seeing u in the up coming dramas

Login or Register before you can reply to jp

I finally saw the embedded video and I had a great time laughing!! It was very very very well done! And very very funny!

17. HeTieShou says:

So happy that many are noticing Eddie. I have always enjoyed his acting and still remember him from back in the days. Great that he has matured so much as an actor.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  18. Hannahh says:

Go Eddie! I like him and he is just amazing actor! Currently am enjoying the series

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh