“Ruse of Engagement” Ends First Week with 27 Points

By on March 25, 2014 in TV Dramas

TVB’s action crime drama Ruse of Engagement <叛逃> picked up Gilded Chopstick’s <食為奴> evening time slot and has finished its first week of broadcast in Hong Kong. According to ratings reports, Ruco Chan’s (陳展鵬) new drama reached an average of 27 viewership points – equating to approximately 1.75 million viewers – last week. A three-point drop from Gilded Chopstick’s final week, Ruse of Engagement lost about 190,000 viewers from Gilded Chopsticks.

Despite the slight drop in viewership, Ruse of Engagement defeated Storm in a Cocoon <守業者> as the number-one drama of the week. Though both dramas achieved an average 27-point rating with a peak rating at 31 points, Ruse of Engagement obtain managed a higher base rating.

Netizens Poke Fun at Over-the-Top Action Scenes

Ruse of Engagement stars Ruco Chan and Ron Ng (吳卓羲) as two brothers working for the fictional anti-terrorist unit, ATF. Many scenes in the series showcase the ATF officers going through excruciating training. Netizens called the series “entertaining”, noting that many of the action scenes in the series were over-the-top.

One particular scene showed ATF leader Eddie Kwan (關禮傑) commanding trainees Ruco and Ron to jump off the roof of a high building and land on the roof of the building across from them. A netizen uploaded the scene online and it quickly became viral. Many pointed out that the distances between the two rooftops were very far, and joked that Ruco must have already broken a record with his high jump.

A netizen commented, “He didn’t jump across. He flew across.” Another said, “TVB has proven that the earth has no gravity.” A sarcastic netizen replied, “TVB dramas are at world class-level. There is already no one on earth who can stop the development of such talented scriptwriters.”

Eddie and Ruco’s Jump Across Building in “Ruse of Engagement”

Source: Ming Pao

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

52 comments to “Ruse of Engagement” Ends First Week with 27 Points

1. Rsy says:

Looking from the pic, Ron looks kinda soft, gotta find time for the gym

Login or Register before you can reply to Rsy
  2. jokes says:

Out of the guys Ron is most bulked these days he looks soft but in ATF he’s bulked

Login or Register before you can reply to jokes

If you think ATF or similar dept trains the way they do in the series, you must be joking. So basically that world’s longest long jump is for TV only, and the least of things that are potentially wrong about this series. For one, Carson would never have graduated from ATF in the first place. Jessica who dresses the way she does would not have been an ATF officer. Etc etc. Whilst I like to nitpick, I find the netizens nitpicking even more than me. Why not go back to the core of the story? The best criticism to me is what is ATF? This series made it look as if it is SDU plus CID.

• Funn Lim replied:

Netizens are the one watching this series. If netizens turn off the TV, the ratings won’t be good. To say I am not any better, etc etc is an insult to the netizens. Use another word.

• Funn Lim replied:

Join them and comment? Which is what I am doing.

4. DramaAddict says:

That “fly” across the rooftops was full of absurdity. I wonder how many more of over-the-top action scenes we’ll be seeing in future episodes. Ep 7 was quite good! For the 1st time, I’m looking forward to the next episode.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    • Funn Lim replied:

So far the action sequence after the rooftop long jump is somewhat realistic. I do think ATF should hire the reporter. She found out everything herself.

• DramaAddict replied:

Haha, you’re right that ATF should hire the reporter! She’s a smart and sly one! At this point, I can’t be sure whether she’s a good person or bad person since it looks as if she and her “Papa” are working under some big organization yet to be revealed. Btw, I thought it was quite funny when you wrote in your blog that the reporter is as smart (or was it competent?) as Jessica and Beauty combined.

Login or Register before you can reply to DramaAddict
    • kolo replied:

i dont mind over the top scenes if it looks prof, but too much will normalize the effect of it.it is the same as you eat oyster everyday or you eat it once a year.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo

You do realise these 2 series are completely different? I am sure there are those not into Gilded Chopsticks as well.

• MW replied:

Agreed, Gilded Chopsticks is not my cup of tea, mostly due to the silly/immature comedic attempts. GC may be riding on the coattails of BBJX? Ben Wong is a good character actor. Elliot Ngok seems to be everywhere nowadays.

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
    • Ricky replied:

BBJX and GC are two diff. dramas despite both being Qing. BBJX was more rmoantic than GC while GC had some feud and resist from peoople

Login or Register before you can reply to Ricky
    • Funn Lim replied:

Idiot, because you compared the 2 so I am just merely pointing out the fact they’re different so it is difficult to compare. I know you don;t like ROE, you made that pretty clear. And since you sign off your post as Idiot, I will assume that is your name and which is how I am going to address you henceforth.

• Poppy replied:

Jayne let her run the show. Is okay for her to talk crap about others, but others can’t do the same. Get a good taste of your own medicine. Deleting negative comments about Funn is WRONG. Get your act together.

Login or Register before you can reply to Poppy
      • heidi replied:

Agree shows preference.

Login or Register before you can reply to heidi
      • sandina replied:

let them do whatever they want.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandina
    • Funn Lim replied:

” GC may be riding on the coattails of BBJX?”

Actually GC is riding on the coattails of another series.

• MW replied:

“Actually GC is riding on the coattails of another series.”

Which one? I can’t think of another recent Qing-era series that was hugely popular ATM.

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
    • Funn Lim replied:

In restrospect, BBJX has very little politics but is essentially a love story. GC has more politics but in a smaller skewered sense. The series I was talking about was an old CCTV series Yong Zheng Wang Chao or The Yong Zheng Dynasty. Very very similar scenes and dialogues (part history, part inspiration) so it was more this series than BBJX. I will say BBJX part is more on Mo Suet and her love for 8th. Or perhaps a bit more Gong if you must put in another comparison.

• Bubblez replied:

I didn’t see the drama as Gong nor Bu Bu Jing Xin (watched both, loved both for different reasons). Gong and Bu bu Jing Xin seems to be more on the romantic side than showing the brothers’ feud in details. I felt there was a bit more action, and more emphasis on the feud in Glided Chopsticks. It also showed some of the international relations it had with the other countries, which was a nice addition.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
  6. Hannah says:

That scene! I remembered watching behind-the-scenes and Eddie landed perfectly in one go. Still fit for his age, lol

Anyway, back to ATF, the action scenes are packed, BUT unrealistic. Like, in episode 1, all that shooting and the granny in the wheelchair didn’t get hurt. Lmao

I do enjoy watching Carson courting Jessica, BUT Aimee is the wrong partner. Ruco is charming and all and Aimee is just lacking that spark. Ron is ok. Hopefully it’ll pick up.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    • Ricky replied:

most of it was unrealistic scenes. good thing it is fictional, too fictional for my liking

Login or Register before you can reply to Ricky
    • Funn Lim replied:

I do like the fact that he looked worried prior to jumping. Anyway insane trainer with an equally insane trainee. And the one who can actually jump so far did not join the SDU-like team. Kinda waste his physical ability.

• Hannah replied:

Carson is portrayed as the one with the brain and Alfred is for his physical. Also, Carson joining Jessica’s team will only bring them closer together. That’s probably the main reason.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
  7. Best says:

Eddie was sexy when jump over the building. Jump or flew, it doesn’t matter, he did an awesome job.

Login or Register before you can reply to Best
    • Bubblez replied:

Haha, I agree. He was amazing… I wonder how they filmed that scene.

If we are supposed to hate his character, he’s doing a very good job. His role kinda reminds me of Michael Tao”s role in On the First Beat and at some parts, the music used reminded of Emergency Unit and the backdrop for that ATU reminds me of Lives of Omission.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • buzz replied:

@Bubblez, this is how they did it:

It’s easy for us to laugh at the absurdity of the jump, but it sure took a lot of guts (not to mention sweat and blood) for the actors to do that scene. One wrong move or malfunction of equipment and the consequence wld be tragic.

Login or Register before you can reply to buzz
      • Funn Lim replied:

Thanks for the video! I didn;t know there were no stunt doubles. I did not see Eddie’s part so if he did it himself, wow, an admirable feat. Ron looks like he was enjoying the view!!

• buzz replied:

You’re welcome,Funn. Many of the stunts were performed by the actors themselves including that bridge jump by Ruco from about 3 storeys high into the waters in ep 2. Really takes my admiration for them to a new level.

Login or Register before you can reply to buzz
  8. MW says:

What’s the name of the actor in the middle? He’s not bad.

Login or Register before you can reply to MW
    • Duthie replied:

was he in 1 of the police series before?

Login or Register before you can reply to Duthie

No, she ended it with “idiot”. And when did it become ok that she can call me idiot and I can’t say she calls herself that? Not so many rant against or about me, in particular one who pretends to be many and probably a few others. I am not satisfied with all the glorious fame. There is no fame, just frustration. Read her post again and you will see why I call her that.

• winnie replied:

Your logic (very flawed) is if some1 calls me that, it gives you a right to call them back that.
      Now, if everyone does that to get back at them because “it’s right for me to do such thing”, o boy. whaat a wonderful world

Login or Register before you can reply to winnie
    • Funn Lim replied:

WOnderful world isn’t it? That one should accept all abuse and yet can’t mete out some? Your logic is flawed too. I never said it is right to do so, to descend to name calling but interestingly you did not chastise Chloe for calling me an idiot first and yet chose to chastise me for calling her exactly what she called me. Be fair. Scold us both.

• Duthie replied:

zero people are immune to nonsense written by idiotic commenters. everyone gets asked on their comments.

Login or Register before you can reply to Duthie
  10. winnie says:

meh nbd

Login or Register before you can reply to winnie
    • Funn Lim replied:

Whatever that means.

• winnie replied:

no big deal. happens all the time.

Login or Register before you can reply to winnie
  11. Teev be2 says:

Who fit this:
    1) old n unmarried
    2) no life other than online life
    3) fat
    4) eat junk food infront of PC

Login or Register before you can reply to Teev be2
  12. AC says:

I’m liking the series so far, and don’t mind the over the top action scenes. I know it’s not realistic but a lot of action scenes are not very realistic in general.

I find Ruco’s character really annoying though.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    • Funn Lim replied:

“I find Ruco’s character really annoying though.”

Agree, in the beginning. Now he has settled down and become rather mysterious.

• Hannah replied:

But, his transformation is a hit forced. All of a sudden it hit him and he changed his view about Ngo Sir. Eh

Then, there’s Alfred who is simple and dumb at times, lol Ruco and Ron don’t give me the same brotherly feel like others. Maybe because Ruco’s Carson is also immature. Ron’s Alfred is similar to Issac in TITS, but Sam and Issac make a better duo, lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannah
    • gz replied:

omg i agree! i find his character annoying too

so far i enjoy the series~ looking forward to see tje enxt episode

Login or Register before you can reply to gz
  13. Sand says:

Is it me or was eddie’s running b4 the leap funny?

Login or Register before you can reply to Sand
    • Canadianboy replied:

Very funny I agreed. Don’t even look athletic. Look sorta like a wimp

Login or Register before you can reply to Canadianboy
  14. Canadianboy says:

Why it is all hk police dramas, the actors and actresses all don’t look fit? If u are going to be in a action police drama, at least hit gym and be a little bit fit

Login or Register before you can reply to Canadianboy
    • Canadianboy replied:

Is true. Look kinda embarrassing. I get a chuckle out of it

Login or Register before you can reply to Canadianboy
  15. Kora Tai says:

The jump from one building to another is as fake as Eddie Kwan (關禮傑). We were laughing throughout that scene. Lol

Login or Register before you can reply to Kora Tai
  16. Noobe says:

Ruco acting so so only seem like in deep to
    Houghts all the time,Ron not a good actors, he is too stiff and like reading his lines. I like Eddy Kwan, he does a good job.

sSilk in the Cocoon , is peaking to the finale this weekends, good story line , overall good acting esp the co stars…. Steven always does wee with Leung Choi Yeun… My fave

Login or Register before you can reply to Noobe
    • omg replied:

Learn to write and spell properly.

Login or Register before you can reply to omg
  17. Selena says:

The show is getting boring. Can’t stand Yoyo Mung. Will stop watching.

Login or Register before you can reply to Selena
  18. Just A thought says:

Looks like it was inspired by a cross of American TV Shows like “24”, “The Wire”, and “persons of interest”.

No real originality or creativity.

Now what would be interesting is if TVB pushes the boundaries and do a TV drama about undercover government agents in terror groups. They could explore the ethnic issues that create terrorism, social divisions within groups, and show us an interesting storyline of divided loyalties. Even Americans aren’t willing to explore terrorism in drama like that, so HK would be original.

Login or Register before you can reply to Just A thought