Kenneth Ma Admits to Dating Three Times

By on September 10, 2012 in NEWS, Star Interviews

As one of TVB’s “Diamond Bachelors,” Kenneth Ma’s (馬國明) romantic life has come under the microscope. The 38-year-old revealed that he has only dated three times.  His first romance occurred when he was an engineering student in Vancouver, Canada and his last relationship was with Nancy Wu (胡定欣). Admitting that his second girlfriend also worked in the industry, Kenneth refused to reveal her identity.

“I do not wish to reveal how I met her. Anyhow, it was due to work-related reasons. She is a great woman. At the time, I did not know how to handle it. I have never been involved in negative rumors before and was afraid that once the relationship is revealed, it will affect her. We finally broke up. I can only said that we were unable to resolve certain differences and agreed to break up peacefully. It was not related to a third party nor did it involve the disparity in recognition levels between us.”

Speculating that a different outcome may have resulted if his second romance had occurred now, Kenneth believed that he knows how to handle the challenges of a relationship better now. “She already has a new romance; I will no longer consider reconciling. Is it a loss? I am content as long as I see her happy. I have no regrets as we were once happy together.”

Continues to Praise Margie Tsang

Since Kenneth Ma and Margie Tsang (曾華倩) were photographed together several years ago, it was often speculated that they had once dated. Dodging the question of whether they had dated, Kenneth said, “I did not know how to handle the rumors of our older woman, younger man relationship at the time. Margie told me not to be afraid and not to pay attention to them.”

Praising Margie openly, Kenneth said that he did not mind that she had a son, whom he has never met. “We have unending topics of conversation. I trust her very much!” Asked whether he had romantic feelings for her, Kenneth responded, “She is a great woman! Perhaps due to the media reports, I was afraid and did not know how to handle them.”

Considered Pursuing Sharon Chan

When Kenneth entered TVB 12 years ago, his face was often filled with acne, which caused him to lose confidence in himself. Coupled with his meager salary as a newcomer, Kenneth was afraid to ask women out on dates.

“After returning to Hong Kong for 5 to 6 years, I was afraid to pursue girls. My salary was pathetic then! Should we both cram into a bus together while on a date? My face was filled with pimples, which gave me low self-esteem. Where would my courage to pursue girls come from? It was not until my skin got better and my career improved, boosting my confidence to initiate dates.”

Another reason Kenneth did not have more girlfriends was due to his procrastination.  While working with Sharon Chan (陳敏之) in Dream of Colors <下一站彩虹>, he found her to be very beautiful. “I thought of pursuing her then, but abandoned the thought after deciding that being friends was best. In addition, she already had a boyfriend!”

Although other women have caught his eye, Kenneth often lamented that the good women at TVB were already taken.

Nancy Wu Remains as Only Publicly Acknowledged Girlfriend

Meeting Nancy Wu almost a decade ago on the set of Triumph in the Skies <衝上雲霄> , Kenneth did not get to know her better until Strictly Come Dancing 2 <舞動奇迹2> in 2010. After Nancy moved to Kenneth’s neighborhood, they often shared taxis to return home from work, allowing their eventual friendship and romance to blossom.

Admitting they broke up last year, Kenneth has not considered a reconciliation. Being friends made their relations more relaxed. “Nancy is not the type of woman to control her boyfriend; she would only offer encouragement. Sometimes, she advised me to alter my style sense or become more aggressive, but I would ignore her, ha ha! In fact, she only wanted the best for me.”

Wife Must Live With Kenneth’s Mother

Kenneth’s current dream is to purchase a 1,400 square feet house to live with his parents. Although he did not have strict criteria when looking for a wife, he wished that she will live together with his family.

“I know that Hong Kong women do not like living with in-laws. It is not easy to manage in-law relations, but I believe that I can find a wife who can accept my ideas.   My requirements are not high. I do not require her to be beautiful nor have money. I cannot accept a girl whose body figure is too exaggerated. Marriage is for life; it is enough that our personalities are compatible!”

Source: Oriental Daily via ihktv.com

Jayne: Although Kenneth continues to deny that he had dated Margie Tsang, his responses reveal that he had hoped to have more development with her, but he was scared by the older woman, younger man rumors. It appears that Kenneth was afraid to advance, instead of Margie. Although Kenneth remains mysterious about the identity of his second girlfriend, it may very well be Margie.

At least there is a pattern in which Kenneth speaks very highly of his ex-girlfriends.

Do expect the extended personal ads for Kenneth to continue to run at JayneStars, until he finds a steady girlfriend!

45 comments to Kenneth Ma Admits to Dating Three Times

1. Maria says:

I’m not sure whether Kenneth is serious or not here…

Login or Register before you can reply to Maria
    • Profile photo of jayne jayne replied:

Maria,
      About having only 3 girlfriends? I believe him….

Dating takes some level of dedication to meet, initiate communication, and follow up. Kenneth strikes me as a big procrastinator to delay and delay until “all the good women are taken.”

Maybe he is not patient enough in this aspect.

I admire Wong Cho Lam for putting in a good 4 years to win Leanne Li’s heart.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • Maria replied:

I expect more experience from a man as old as him whom has such a profession.

But I feel the same about Wong Cho Lam and Leanne. They are sweet.

Login or Register before you can reply to Maria
      • Funn Lim replied:

I think he meant serous girlfriend. If it is just 3, I do believe him. And obviously the 2nd one is Margie.

• sandcherry replied:

I think so, too. Though he never mentioned Margie Tsang’s name as his second girlfriend, the way he talked about her showed it very obviously.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  2. Profile photo of jayne jayne says:

If Kenneth only had 3 girlfriends in the past, I can understand why he still appears to be a novice kisser.

Although he portrayed a playboy cop in “The Mysteries of Love,” his kissing skills did seem a bit awkward, which made his portrayal unconvincing.

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
  3. Lee says:

I suspect that he keeps dropping Margie Tsang’s name to keep the rumors alive. I have an incredibly hard time believing that a woman like Margie Tsang with a grown son would have been interested in Kenneth Ma at that point in his career. Either way, he seems to want kids, and she’s put her childbearing years behind her so I wish he’d stop pulling her name out at a moment’s notice!

Login or Register before you can reply to Lee
    • lily replied:

He also won’t blurred her name out out of no where if the media didn’t ask.

Login or Register before you can reply to lily
      • lily replied:

ups, sorry..typo. I meant “blurted”

Login or Register before you can reply to lily
  4. NP says:

I wonder if Margie was his second girlfriend that is also in the industry.

Login or Register before you can reply to NP
  5. AC says:

His skin got so much better after his skincare endorsement deal. I think that really did help give him a push to become a lead actor.

I actually can’t imagine him dating someone outside of TVB since he rarely goes out.

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
    • sky replied:

a stalker eh? rarely goes out? lol..

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
      • AC replied:

Actually, it’s what he and all his friends basically says. If not work, it’s just soccer. 😛

Login or Register before you can reply to AC
  6. happybi says:

Dating in general is hard and for people in the entertainment industry, it must be even harder. Hard to find someone who will go underground and with the filming schedule, must be hard to meet up. Just hope he will find someone he loves and that will love him and his family! Not getting younger Ken so start looking and make a move on it if you find that special someone!

Login or Register before you can reply to happybi
    • HeTieShou replied:

TOtally agree and you really wonder, how do you define “dating”?? I have noticed that some people define it as just going out in a group and eyeballing certain people and then hanging out together… It is twice as hard in the circle, but I think you are more open and honest about it then it would not be as bad. Many have lied through their teeth just to have it come back and haunt them… I have noticed that the ones that have admitted(of course it depends on who and their situation too)generally seem to have an easier time then ones that try to lie and hide…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  7. sky says:

Margie Tsang is very pretty…but she’s 10 years older than Kenneth…

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
    • Gar replied:

I don’t think age is a factor with them since they seem so compatible. He keeps mentioning that they have endless topics to talk about. I think it’s Kenneth’s problem of not knowing how to face the older women/younger men relationship. It’s more than certain that the media will make a big deal out if it and will pound Margie and him with endless questions about their relationship. It is this that he fears the most IMO.

Login or Register before you can reply to Gar
      • sky replied:

i’m sure his parent won’t like it…

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  8. P. Tan says:

Kenneth seems very popular with the girls in the film industry so I think it’s just a matter of the right girl coming along. Just be patient, Kenneth, and I’m sure you will meet someone who will not only love you but your Mum as well.

Login or Register before you can reply to P. Tan
  9. sandcherry says:

By acting different types of roles (good guy, professional, villainous, killer, modern and ancient), Kenneth Ma’s acting has improved so much in the last 3 years. He should now have more self-confidence and money now to date more girls.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
  10. sandcherry says:

Kenneth, I think it is a better idea for you to purchase two condos, one next to another (or even on the same floor of the same building). You can live with your wife in one and let your parents live in the other. I am sure it will turn out to be better for you and your wife. You will still be very close to your parents and, at the same time, your wife will have an easier time to get along with her in-laws.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
    • smile replied:

I so agree….I don’t know what’s he’s thinking if he plans to have his wife living under the same roof as his mother! There can only be one lioness under each roof! Good luck to him if he’s sticking to this all under one roof thing. No wonder he is still single….

Login or Register before you can reply to smile
      • josie replied:

Yes, I feel sorry for his future wife. Marriage is hard enough w/o the added pressure of living w/ your in-laws.

Login or Register before you can reply to josie
      • HeTieShou replied:

I think he is being a bit too ideal which is not really a good thing… He needs to think more realistically.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  11. Hannahh says:

It must b Margie.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
  12. Yuyu says:

It’s not Tavia since she has an “exaggerated” nose

Login or Register before you can reply to Yuyu
    • Oppa replied:

wtf..what’s her nose got to do with kenneth’s potential 2nd date??…

Login or Register before you can reply to Oppa
  13. yatushi says:

hey…i do have a pontential to be a celebreties…
    dont you think so?haha
    can check me out in my mail…

Login or Register before you can reply to yatushi
  14. hotingah says:

omg now i know who margie tsang is. i always knew her chinese name but not English. i have to google her to know. my uncle said i look like her and her family is very close friends with my uncle. i got some of her travleling photos of her and her husband. her husband is fat. (sorry) they traveled to huang shan back in the 90s. i really like her.

Login or Register before you can reply to hotingah
    • sandcherry replied:

You must be quite pretty then as Margie Tsang was one of the 5 most beautiful actresses in TVB at her time. She is still pretty now at the age of 47.

Login or Register before you can reply to sandcherry
    • HeTieShou replied:

You mean ex husband right?? she has been divorced since 2002.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
    • sky replied:

pix or your uncle lied…lol..

Login or Register before you can reply to sky
  15. subtleness says:

something about kenneth that i dont like

Login or Register before you can reply to subtleness
    • subtleness replied:

but omg! margie and kenneth??? i cant imagine

Login or Register before you can reply to subtleness
  16. dsd says:

i think it is margie too

Login or Register before you can reply to dsd
  17. pp says:

question time.
    how do you ask someone out?
    how do you end a relationship?

Login or Register before you can reply to pp
  18. Bridget says:

For some reason the first name to come to mind for Kenneth’s 2nd gf was Kate Tsui.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bridget
    • Crystal replied:

Yeah me too they were really close back then and did a lot dramas together

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal
  19. Crystal says:

But Kate is …. I don’t think she suits him

Login or Register before you can reply to Crystal
  20. Veejay says:

I ‘m not sure if Kenneth is right by draggin nancy’s name into the interview again.. Cuz once Nancy is dragged inside, the media will not leave her alone just like that..

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
  21. iampheng says:

I am disappointed my idol has so little game. lol

Login or Register before you can reply to iampheng
    • Profile photo of jayne jayne replied:

iampheng,
      “I am disappointed my idol has so little game. lol”

Isn’t it part of Kenneth’s charm to the fans that he is a bit awkward with women? Many actors are often perceived to be too flirtatious and dubbed as players, while Kenneth seems down to earth and a bit female shy, where is he more talk than action?

Despite his fame and handsome looks, Kenneth seems very approachable and “dateless,” which can be very relatable to regular folks’ dating experiences?

Login or Register before you can reply to jayne
      • iampheng replied:

HAHAHA!!

In some ways Kenneth is extremely…normal, and I agree that this is part of his appeal for the masses.

But really, if he decided to date one of Viann Zhang’s friends…I’d go fan her on Weibo. lol

Oh I hope I don’t flamed haha

Login or Register before you can reply to iampheng
  22. Theresa says:

Just curious is that why he does not want to reveal the 2nd girlfriend’s name while he is ok to tell people that Nancy is his 3rd ex-girlfriend.

Anyway, I like his acting skill as well as his down-to-earth attitude.

Login or Register before you can reply to Theresa
  23. aptos says:

Kenneth Ma is a honest person who does care about the feelings of others. This is a unselfish act. Whether he likes someone older or not is his business. Don’t we want everyone in life to find their happiness? As for his future wife to live with his parents, it is tough as both in-laws and the wife have expectations and hopefully, they can find a common ground to coexist together. If Margie and Kenneth find each other appealing, go for it despite what the tabloids and public thinks. But to escape the pressure, they will probably need to relocate outside of HK. That may be difficult as they are at their peak of their careers.

Login or Register before you can reply to aptos