Kenneth Ma, Tavia Yeung, at “The Paintings of Bureaucracy” Costume Fitting

By on January 24, 2014 in Hot Gossip!, TV Dramas

The cast for Lee Tim Sing’s (李添勝) upcoming TVB drama The Paintings of Bureaucracy <官場浮世繪> came together for a costume fitting press conference at Tseung Kwan O’s TV City. The Qing Dynasty drama stars The Hippocratic Crush <On Call 36小時> couple Kenneth Ma (馬國明) and Tavia Yeung (楊怡) as a pair of unlikely lovers.

This will be Kenneth and Tavia’s third time portraying lovers. Kenneth does not believe that their pairing is outdated, and said, “I’ve never seen Tavia in pigtails before! That’s something new.”

Kenneth will be portraying Chan Fun, the youngest son of a powerful businessman, portrayed by veteran actor Lau Dan (劉丹). Tavia Yeung will be portraying Wai Lam, the household servant.

Tavia recently lost her voice due to an inflammed throat. Asked if it was her boyfriend Him Law (羅仲謙), who has been slightly ill with a cough, that made her sick, Tavia said, “I don’t know about that. If it’s possible I want to make him sick.” Tavia said she welcomes Him to visit her on set. “He should come visit the sick,” she said with a laugh.

The Paintings of Bureaucracy also marks the first official comeback drama for Joel Chan (陳山聰), who had taken a two-year hiatus from the entertainment industry. Joel will be portraying Kenneth’s protective oldest brother, who ultimately walks down a dark path while trying to save the family’s business.

Portraying a villain character once again for TVB, Joel said he is very thankful to TVB for giving him more opportunities. He said it was TVB management executive Virginia Lok (樂易玲) who helped him with his comeback. “We had a meal together, and she felt like I was prepared for it. I also felt ready, and Tim Gor was also preparing for a new drama. I will try my best in the role.”

Joel brushed off the rumors claiming that he had money problems and revealed that he had just signed a three-year contract with TVB with a decent raise. “I will work hard to repay my debt to TVB. If I really did owe anybody money, I think my face would be plastered all over the streets by now!”

In regards to his publicized breakup with socialite Florinda Ho (何超雲) two years ago – a breakup that pushed Joel to a career hiatus – Joel said, “The past is the past. I have reflected.” Asked if they still kept in contact, Joel said, “Let’s not talk about this. I don’t want my comments to affect her. I am now starting a new path.”

The Paintings of Bureaucracy also star Susan Tse (謝雪心), Lily Poon (潘芳芳), and Celine Ma(馬蹄露), portraying the three wives of Lau Dan. Dolby Kwan (關浩揚) will portray Lau Dan’s second son. Benjamin Yuen (袁偉豪), Li Shing Cheong (李成昌), Ram Chiang (蔣志光), andYoyo Chen (陳自瑤) also star.

Kenneth Ma Tavia Yeung series

Sources: On.cc; On.cc

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

112 comments to Kenneth Ma, Tavia Yeung, at “The Paintings of Bureaucracy” Costume Fitting

1. LyNN says:

Yay, I do love KenTa pairing!!

But why is Tavia always casted in maid/servant’s role? =.=

Login or Register before you can reply to LyNN
    • Funn Lim replied:

But I love MaTa more!! At least one where they have a happy ending. and I don’t think that exist!

She is always maid and servant because more dramatic role.

• Funn Lim replied:

TVB needs new costumes. Those in the picture looks familiar and old and colourless.

• Mindy replied:

Is MaTa Steven and tavia?? If so I love them also!!!! I’m really looking forward to property protector! I love country side series 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Mindy
      • HeTieShou replied:

They do need new and more colorful and nicer costumes just like in the 70s and 80s. Have these costumes been used before? Reusing costumes is not a big deal since it would be a waste to wear an outfit only once. But of course they should reuse them when appropriate.

• Little fishy replied:

I love both pairing, hahaha xD but yes, Why does MaTa almost always have sad ending >__>

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
      • Jenny replied:

I’m guessing MaTa= Steven and Tavia? or Stevia?

Login or Register before you can reply to Jenny
    • LyNN replied:

Yaya I also love SteVia the most! Hehe

Login or Register before you can reply to LyNN
  2. sandcherry says:

Glad to see Joel Chan is back in a new drama series. Look forward to watching his good acting again.

3. Bubblez says:

I really like the cast that was selected for this!

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yes,the cast is ok,but let’s hope the plot and script as well as other factors are good.

• Puff replied:

Yeah, totally. Let’s hope they have a decent plot and script.

Can’t believe it, one week travelling in South Africa and I can’t keep up with the news

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • HeTieShou replied:

Nice to see you back Puff. Did you go to South Africa for vacation or work? Hope you had fun regardless.

• Puff replied:

Thanks HTS. It was for work, nice to have warm weather 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • HeTieShou replied:

Even though it was for work, still hope he had the chance to have fun.

Meant to say you.

• Puff replied:

Thanks HTS

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff

See! Joel comes back and immediately got work!

• sandcherry replied:

Producer Lee Tim Sin always thought highly of Joel Chan. He cast Joel in many of his drama series. I think Joel upset Lee by not showing up in one of Lee’s recent drama series. However, Producer Lee is a nice guy and forgives Joel for his misbehaviour.

• HeTieShou replied:

Producer Lee seems like such a nice guy. Joel is truly lucky that he likes him and appreciates his talent. The break up with Florinda can be a blessing in disguise.

• sandcherry replied:

Very true. I hope Joel Chan will treasure this good opportunity and act very well in his character to show Producer Lee his appreciation. There are not many nice Producer Lees in TVB.

• HeTieShou replied:

Exactly and many producers would not be that nice, so really hope Joel will work hard to show Producer Lee how grateful he is for giving him another chance.

• Funn Lim replied:

Actually I welcome him back too.

5. JCLL says:

Kenneth and Tavia AGAIN!!!!!! No one else to pair with???? They are getting boring together. 3 years in a row. Might have to skip it!

Login or Register before you can reply to JCLL
    • Clementine replied:

I don’t find their chemistry boring at all despite their numerous collaborations because they always give off a different feel each time imo. Looking forward to this series 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Clementine
    • kolo replied:

agree,same boring pairing again,and the theme is boring too,so i think i have to skip this again,i skipped many lately after watched 3 or 4 episode.i still havent seen a good drama from tvb this year.the last good drama of tvb is brother keeper.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
      • HeTieShou replied:

Who is left? Everyone has gone onto better things.

6. Guest108 says:

is not boring watching kenneth and tavia as a couple again!! they have so much chemistry on/off screen!! still hope for MORE KenTa series in near future!

Login or Register before you can reply to Guest108
  7. sandcherry says:

Does anyone know who is the actress standing next to Celine Ma (馬蹄露) – 1st one (left hand side), back row? Don’t seem to recognize her face.

• Guest108 replied:

at first glance, i thought it was Niki Chow lol!

Login or Register before you can reply to Guest108
      • sandcherry replied:

Can’t be. Her name is not included in the cast, and she very rarely acts in a supporting role.

• Guest108 replied:

i think her name is Janey Yan, Miss HK contestant

Login or Register before you can reply to Guest108
      • sandcherry replied:

Thanks! I don’t know who is Janey Yan anyway.

• Bubblez replied:

I don’t think we know her since the dramas she was in wasn’t broadcasted.

Her name is 甄敏婷. She participated in MCVP 2010 and MHK 2010. After her MHK, she participated in 25th Artistes Training Class.

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • Bubblez replied:

Actually, she was given cameo roles :3

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • sandcherry replied:

Good. We can expect some decent acting from a newbies/pageant contestant eventually!

• Bubblez replied:

Hopefully. Actually, Gloria Tang, Grace Chan also participated in the artistes training class as well. So I hope they succeed in their 1st drama 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • sandcherry replied:

By the way, haven’t heard that Gloria Tang had been given any roles in drama series after being crowned MCI for almost a whole year. She speaks beautiful Cantonese and is also pretty.

Therefore, luck is super important to any artistes. Eliza Sam was pretty bad in speaking Cantonese and she got cast almost right away.

• Bubblez replied:

I saw her at MCVP backstage in the washroom (:

She was very pretty. (:
        and she is casted in Midas (the one with nancy, kate and sharon, i believe ; 點金勝手)

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • sandcherry replied:

Thanks! I will look forward to watching her debut in “Midas”.

• Bubblez replied:

“Just because an artist participates in training class does not mean they will be good, but it may give them a good foundation to build on.”

True but most artistes who started from artistes training class starts from cameo/supporting roles and then slowly to leading roles, which gives them a solid foundation as well as having a wide range of acting experience (:

Login or Register before you can reply to Bubblez
      • sandcherry replied:

Artistes usually have more exposures to acting different characters if they attend Artistes’ Training Course. Personally I believe in proper training in any professions including artistes. Of course, if a person has good talents, he/she will pick it up faster than someone who has no talents.

• HeTieShou replied:

I agree with you guys that usually when anyone gets trained in any profession/area, they would more likely develop those skills/talents better. Of course, they naturally have the innate talent to excel in any particular field, they will do so versus someone who does not have that natural ability.

8. Agnes Tan says:

My GOD, Kenneth and Tavia again???
    So very boring.

Login or Register before you can reply to Agnes Tan
    • HeTieShou replied:

Everyone has left so there is not many people left. I think that can be one of the reasons Joel got a second chance to come back since he is a talented actor.

9. Agnes Tan says:

Looking forward to watch Joel Chan.

Login or Register before you can reply to Agnes Tan
  10. Mindy says:

Looking forward to this!!!!! A comedy with Kenta! Ahhh 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Mindy
  11. Mindy says:

Also excited Joel is back 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Mindy
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yes,glad to see Joel back. Finally a TVB is doing an ancient series so let’s hope it is good.

• kolo replied:

ancient yes, but not wuxia. im waiting for cold mountain hidden dragon which they have announced it two years ago but still no airing date.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
      • HeTieShou replied:

Yea, I wonder if TVB will ever put out the money and efforts to make a good wuxia series again??? Or are those only the olden days?

• sandcherry replied:

I doubt it as TVB does not have any artistes, who are good in martial arts or “wuxia” arts, or martial arts directors. They did not even film “3 Kingdoms RPG” with real horses!!

• sandcherry replied:

I love those old classics, such as “Chor Lau-Heung 楚留香”; “The Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber 倚天屠龍記”; “The Legend of the Condor Heroes 射雕英雄傳 “; “The Return of the Condor Heroes 神鵰俠侶”; “Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils I & II 天龍八部 之 六貾神劍 – 虛竹傳奇”; “The Battlefield 楚河漢界”, etc.

• kolo replied:

me too,im grown up with this kind of drama’s.so its too sad now that they have put this genre aside just because there are few appropriated actors or directors who can do this,or is it just a money question due to the high budget for making it? i hope tvb will reconsider this genre again, because martial arts is a important part of our culture.

Login or Register before you can reply to kolo
      • Puff replied:

Yes totally agree with sandcherry. Love love love those wuxia series, I’m watching the Chinese version of Demi gods… It’s ok, but I still like the good old TVB version…

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
      • HeTieShou replied:

Me too and I just get so nostalgic about the olden days. I wonder if TVB will ever make such great series like that again?

• sandcherry replied:

I surely hope so as I love those good stories.

• HeTieShou replied:

I do too but I highly doubt they will ever come back to the good old days. Times have truly changed.

• Little fishy replied:

Me, three 🙁 I would rather rewatch those tvb series than the new Chinese one :/ it was just soooo good, the acting, the pace, the plots. And the actresses are all beautiful in different ways, not all looking the same like the Chinese one >_< either all plastic or all plain :/

Login or Register before you can reply to Little fishy
  12. kiwi says:

Virginia Lok is not bad at all for a boss. Joe will have many opportunities working under her. Good going Buddy.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
    • sandcherry replied:

I think Virgina Lok is not that bad, but she gives preferences to some artistes and not all.

• kiwi replied:

No one wants bad investments. high expectation and sharp-eyed good for business. Joe is lucky to have her for a boss. Friend or foe you decide buddy.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • sandcherry replied:

It is very true and rather too “practical”.

• HeTieShou replied:

Virginia can be ok sometimes, but of course she plays favorites just like anyone.

• kiwi replied:

Investing in Joe is much better than investing in someone she doesn’t like Felix Wong and Adrian Wong. LOL.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
      • Fox replied:

Interestingly, when 620 promotes someone some here don’t like, she is bashed. When she promotes those ppl’s favourite, she is still bashed to play favourism. It’s a fact that she has her own favourite ppl and loyal artists to her like anyone else, but she is the only one who is bashed for it. Why not others? A bit unfair?

I dun find 620 is any more or less annoying than other executives in Txb, honestly. I think she has good eyes in commercial as her ppl often do better in the markets than the rest.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • sandcherry replied:

You are right. All TVB executives have their own favourites. Can’t blame Virginia alone.

• HeTieShou replied:

True, but I think people are basing it on how she handled some of the cases and situations in the past and seriously, she did not handle them that well. She used to be high profile about it too and it is now engrained in people’s minds, while the other executives seem to be more low profile I guess.

• Fox replied:

She nails the work with HR/Artist Department, of course she has to be more high profile than other executives because she has to speak whenever an artist is involved.

I rmb some of her stupid comments but there are many artists still praises her even after leaving Txb, for example Bernice. I think there are two ppl who has the most troubles with her: Wong He and Steven Ma, rite?

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Yolo replied:

HAHAHA Bernice praised ms.lok????? So funny. Whoever believes that needs some brain checkup. Soooooooo funny. Get over yourself and stop blindly supporting anyone that’s slightly connected to your beloved chok guy. Just as fake as lok.

Login or Register before you can reply to Yolo
      • Fox replied:

Lolz, such a pathetic basher, Yolo. Try again next time.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
      • Yolo replied:

Hahahahaha I am not the one that makes it a daily mission to promote anything remotely related to the chok guy or bash tavia/kenneth whenever you can. You hate them so much but you reply in every sjngle article about them. You know what troll means? Look in the mirror. Pathetic. Hahahaha

Login or Register before you can reply to Yolo
      • Fox replied:

I can see a pathetic and over-sensitive die-hard fan. Moreover, you dun dare to use real username. Poor you. All I can tell you is: grow up and get a life.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
  13. msxie says:

ugh! typically ugly Qing costumes.

Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
  14. Lucia says:

Good casts but the costumes don’t look attractive.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    • HeTieShou replied:

Yes,the costumes are so ugly. After seeing so many Mainland Qing dramas with nice costumes,these are really bad in comparison. In the past, TVB were the ones with the nice and colorful costumes while the few series from China were the ones that has dull costumes. But now it seems to be the other way around.

• sandcherry replied:

…….. because of the low budgets by TVB in their ancient drama series, also because of the small markets of TVB drama series.

• HeTieShou replied:

I wonder how the budgets were for the productions back then? As some of us know, the costumes were really nice and colorful back in the 70s and 80s. But of course TVB is really cheap now,especially with ancient series that they hardly want to make any. Therefore, for them crank out the dough for nice costumes and other details? I do not think so.

• sandcherry replied:

Mainland China was very behind in filming drama series some 20 years ago. Therefore, TVB drama series were considered “gems” for them at that time in terms of filming techniques, script writing, acting, music, costumes, scenes, etc. For example, TVB invested a lot of money in filming “War & Beauty” by sending the whole cast and production crew to Beijing to do filming in the real Forbidden City. Since TVB was able to sell it in China for good money, they could afford to invest more in their ancient drama series. However, Chinese filming has been very successful in the last 10 years, and, as a result, TVB drama series are not marketable in China any more. Moreover, I believe that the Government of China has set many rules and regulations now for people to film in China, such as by paying big sums of money to get permits, etc. If TVB drama series are not in demand in China and they have to spend tons of more money to film their ancient drama series, why should they be bothered to do so? If ancient drama series are not filmed in China, the “realness” will be less real and impressive. TVB does not have good local facilities to film ancient series. In that case, they might as well give up the idea of filming ancient drama series.

• KK replied:

“TVB invested a lot of money in filming “War & Beauty” ”

There were a few tvb series that were filmed in China. The studio settings in TVB’s Jin Yong series is not going to fool anyone.

“If ancient drama series are not filmed in China, the “realness” will be less real and impressive.”

China ancient series have derelict and rundown structures in buildings that were so distracting. will like to see them edited or photoshopped so they will look better on screen.

“Mainland China was very behind in filming drama series some 20 years ago.”

Should be 40-50 years.

Btw, Hippocratic Crush looks like it is filmed in studio. The place looks empty other than the few actors walking here and there. The equipment looks artificial and outdated.

Login or Register before you can reply to KK
      • sandcherry replied:

To be more exact, I would say:

“Mainland China was very behind in filming drama series some 30+ years ago.”, but not 40-50 years. They picked it up slowly in late 90s.

TVB drama series were only getting popular since mid 70s. They don’t have a history of 50 years anyway.

• KK replied:

You are right. But I was referring to Shaw…

Login or Register before you can reply to KK
      • KK replied:

Shaw Brothers… (edit)

Login or Register before you can reply to KK
      • KK replied:

“Shaw leased most of Shaw Brothers’ filmmaking facilities to TVB in 1983.” (wiki)

Login or Register before you can reply to KK
      • KK replied:

I think the majority of the stuntsmen we saw in tvb shows were from shaw brothers too. Thus having reached the year 2014, they would have retired. Therefore no more ancient wuxia series.

Login or Register before you can reply to KK
      • KK replied:

No, I should say no more decent watchable ancient wuxia series.

Login or Register before you can reply to KK
      • HeTieShou replied:

Some of them if they are still working went to China too. Like the highly renowned martial arts director, Cheng Siu Tong, went to China and works on movies now.

15. momo says:

Yes!! Can see the fav couples – KENTA…love their on/off screen together. Hope they can get the most fav couples again…

Login or Register before you can reply to momo
  16. Magic says:

Another Qing dyansty series?

Looking forward to it though. 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to Magic
  17. kiwi says:

I hope the series is at least 30-40 chapters.

Login or Register before you can reply to kiwi
    • Guest108 replied:

Is only 20 ep

Login or Register before you can reply to Guest108
      • HeTieShou replied:

It is goo that it us to too long or else it may get draggy.

• HeTieShou replied:

Meant to say good and is.

18. LINVIN8 says:

Looking forward to seeing Joel Chan on screen again! As for Kenneth and Tavia together…eh. Not so much.

Login or Register before you can reply to LINVIN8
  19. Chriselle says:

Really don’t think that the double braids suits Tavia’s face shape. I think I’ll rather they give her a short and simple cut if she’s going to play a maid.

Login or Register before you can reply to Chriselle
  20. tvbauntie says:

Yay!Tavia/Kenneth in a New Series! Love this pairing!

Login or Register before you can reply to tvbauntie
  21. Lori says:

OMG Tavia looks so cuteee 😀

Login or Register before you can reply to Lori
  22. E says:

Whoa, Tavia looks a lot like Maggie Cheung Ho Yee in the picture! Agree that Tavia&MM combo is getting a bit boring now…
    I thought producer Lee Tim Sing was going to retire, not so anymore?

Login or Register before you can reply to E
    • Shrimpboat replied:

Agree. I thought that was Maggie at first glance.

TVB can’t afford to lose Lee Tim Sing.

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
      • HeTieShou replied:

I always thought Tavia looked like Maggie Cheung Ho eye.

• Fox replied:

Every year he says he’ll retire, so it isn’t a big deal now.

Login or Register before you can reply to Fox
    • nikki maxwell^_^ replied:

Oh yeah it looks a bit like Maggie cheung ho yee
      And I thought that was her in the pic as well

Login or Register before you can reply to nikki maxwell^_^
  23. Tavia yeung looks cute in those pigtails
    And that article was quite funny
    Kenneth ma looks ok in those outfit and
    Every one else looks ok

Login or Register before you can reply to nikki maxwell^_^
  24. her says:

No more Tavia and Kenneth, please. Never liked it in the first place.

Login or Register before you can reply to her
  25. lin says:

tavia looks old, wished she could have cut down on those plastic surgeries. i remember how beautiful she was in twin brothers

Login or Register before you can reply to lin
  26. Jojo says:

Yawn!!..Boring pairing! Tavia looks so old and tired in the picture. Awful dull costumes…seriously, TVB is really going down!

Login or Register before you can reply to Jojo
  27. Veejay says:

I think Tavia is Tim’s favourite actress..

Login or Register before you can reply to Veejay
  28. Mindy says:

Pictures does not do tavia justice. She looks better onscreen and in person. she looks worn out in her pictures but in person she’s very lively and pretty!

Login or Register before you can reply to Mindy
  29. Lotus says:

I thought Joel gave very good replies to all the ‘difficult questions’. Good luck!!!
    Always glad to see Tavia !!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Lotus
  30. Larry 3 says:

I hope Joel has a breakthrough role. TVB needs another rising star. Put Joel on the fast track.

Login or Register before you can reply to Larry 3
  31. says me says:

Tavia is very professional. She is ever willing to put up different images that befits each respective roles she plays in all her different dramas, unlike some actresses who often maintain their same style/image for their dramas which is so boring. In real life, Tavia is young, bubbly, full of humor and fun. In many events, she’s so gorgeous and sexy, yet down to earth, humble and witty. Thats why fans in so many different countries love her. Yeah Ma Ming and Ah Yi rocks, so cute & humourous together. Best couple pairing onscreen and off screen 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to says me