Andy Lau’s “Firestorm” Maintains Flavor of Original Hong Kong Cop Films

Co-produced by Andy Lau (劉德華), William Kong (江志強), and directed by first-time director Alan Yuen (袁錦麟), new Hong Kong 3D action-thriller film Firestorm <風暴> will be storming its way to cinemas on December 12, 2013. With nearly 100 minutes of non-stop action, Firestorm is said to be one of the most authentic local Hong Kong police films in recent years.

Firestorm stars Andy Lau as Senior Inspector Lui Ming Chit, a hard-boiled detective who dedicates most of his time to hunt down the infamous Cho Nam (Hu Jun 胡軍), the leader of a band of seasoned criminals. Hong Kong’s police force is once again proved futile after Nam smoothly pulls off yet another armored and violent car heist in broad daylight, killing hundreds of innocent people. Chit is forced to cross moral lines in order to put the dangerous man and his crew behind bars.

Out of the 100 minutes of thrilling sequences, 70 percent are explosion scenes, while the remaining 30 percent are fast-paced chasing sequences on the busy streets of Central and Hong Kong highways. Andy Lau himself performed nearly 60 minutes-worth of action.

Firestorm is one of the first films in history to shoot long-standing action scenes on the streets of Central. Director Alan Yuen stressed that the film is made for Hong Kong and for the fans of Hong Kong cinema, stating, “Firestorm maintains the original flavor of the Hong Kong cop films that everybody used to love so much. For our action scenes, we filmed in real Hong Kong streets. Keeping the scenery authentic is a core part of our film. Locating scouting was one of the first things we did in our initial preparations for the film, and we’ve decided to film the major scenes in the film at key areas that represent Hong Kong, such as Central. We want Firestorm to feel realistic and familiar for our Hong Kong audiences.”

The film also stars Gordon Lam (林家棟), Yao Chen (姚晨), Ray Lui (呂良偉), and Michael Wong (王敏德). TVB actors Kenny Wong (黃德斌), Oscar Leung (梁烈唯), and Cheung Kwok Keung (張國強) also make an appearance.

“Firestorm” Trailer

[vsw id=”103dX96TtN8″ source=”youtube” width=”500″ height=”375″ autoplay=”no”]


This article is written by Addy for

Related Articles


  1. the trailer was so boring .. i don’t even have a clue what the movie is about.

    it’s been over 10 years since infernal affairs, when are we going to get away from these cop movies?!

  2. “Hong Kong’s police force is once again proved futile”

    Yes, that’s definitely a feature in every police movie or series

  3. Director Alan Yuen stressed that the film is made for Hong Kong and for the fans of Hong Kong cinema.

    – and yet its in Mandarin…
    Was he joking?

    I hope its just a mainland trailer with mandarin dub, I didnt actually see anyone speaking well enough to see if it was a dub or lip synched.

    Still want to watch it cause it looks good. ;P
    I’ll just wait for the Canto version.

    1. The movie is Canto, it is also cater to audience outside Hong Kong for Mando speakers.

  4. Hello there, will you please view my relationship poem, go to Google, type in my name, Derek Newell Poet, then view my poem, ”EXPRESS IT”. Please turn your family and friends on to my poem, I know it will inspire them, and please, be excellent to one another. Thank You.

Comments are closed.