Wanting Qu Wants to be Known as a Songwriter, Not a Singer

By on July 4, 2013 in MUSIC

pic

Chinese singer-songwriter Wanting Qu (曲婉婷) propelled to fame after the release of her album, Everything in the World <我的歌声里>. However, she despised to be dubbed as a singer by the press as she claimed that singing only takes up a small part of her work.

Wanting said, “The media and public relations like to use ‘singer’ to describe me. I hate it when this term is used on me because singing only takes up 20 percent of my work. I spent the other 80 percent of my time on playing music and writing songs.”

Born and raised in Harbin, China, Wanting moved to Canada when she was 16 years old. Against her parents’ wishes, she studied music theory instead of international business. Wanting claimed that even if she had not ended up choosing music-making as her career, she would have ended up being an athlete, either specializing in figure skating, swimming, or even table tennis, because her father was a big fan of the sports.

Preparing for New Album

Now that she is in the public eye, Wanting has often been criticized for her ordinary looks. Though Wanting took it in her stride, she felt sad when young children are subjected to online bullying. Wanting said, “Recently, a primary school student made an educational documentary and uploaded it online. In the end, netizens criticized that the film was awful. I felt bad and it inspired me to write a song entitled, ‘We Are Under the Sun’ <阳光下的我们>.”

Wanting completed her concert tour in China in June and is currently working on composing for her upcoming album.

Source: Sohu.com

This article is written by Karen for JayneStars.com.

14 comments to Wanting Qu Wants to be Known as a Songwriter, Not a Singer

  1. ALovesFung says:

    Loved her song “Drenched” sung by Raymond LF during his “A TIME 4 YOU” concerts in January this year! The melody was excellent!

    Login or Register before you can reply to ALovesFung
    • Sam replied:

      Don’t know her, not well know to some.
      A song write or Singer or just someone not so well known whos an entertainer!

      Login or Register before you can reply to Sam
  2. Lily says:

    Her music is very unique and I love her album. She is one of those rare talents in the music industry.

    Login or Register before you can reply to Lily
    • Doris replied:

      If you didn’t say, might of thought she’s in the porn industry.

      Login or Register before you can reply to Doris
      • msxie replied:

        Angelababy sounds the most like a porn star

        Login or Register before you can reply to msxie
  3. Ifyvfiyv says:

    She is very talented and I love her album! (:

    Login or Register before you can reply to Ifyvfiyv
  4. Jadis says:

    Although I love her music and her abilities as a songerwriter I gotta say I don’t have the best impression of her as a person. When I first came to notice her I read a few of her interviews, especially the ones she did outside of the Chinese media and she gave off the feeling and vibe as someone who’s taking it for granted when it comes to her success in the mainland China. It seemed liked she almost disliked the fact her music or in this case, her english songs are achieving more recognition in China than say, America or Canada for example. I remember clearly in one interview she said something among the lines of ‘I feel like many people in maindland China does not know how to appreciate real music but because there’s always a minority out there who likes real music I will make sure to continue with my work for those people’. Right. Ok.

    Login or Register before you can reply to Jadis
    • Lily replied:

      became sassy with fame…

      Login or Register before you can reply to Lily
    • lol replied:

      wants to be a Diva and show that she is superior to everyone because she spent time in Canada, like having a limited edition LV.

      Login or Register before you can reply to lol
  5. TN1 says:

    Yea I enjoyed listening to her song n at first tot shes an european, surprisingly though!

    Login or Register before you can reply to TN1
  6. May says:

    How to be ‘known’ as a songwriter since many people don’t really care who writes a particular song.

    Login or Register before you can reply to May
  7. hotNcold says:

    mmm, her name is weird “Wanting”
    i like her 我的歌声里

    Login or Register before you can reply to hotNcold
    • Kidd replied:

      That’s just her Chinese name put in different order. Her chinese name is pronounced as Qu Wan Ting.

      Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  8. Kidd says:

    ” “The media and public relations like to use ‘singer’ to describe me. I hate it when this term is used on me because singing only takes up 20 percent of my work. I spent the other 80 percent of my time on playing music and writing songs.””

    Uh, if you want to be known only as a songwriter, stop singing and releasing albums. Just focus on writing songs and give them to the singers to sing. Then, no one will call you a singer anymore.

    Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd