Chilam Cheung on Anita Yuen’s Past Involvement with a Married Man

By on September 26, 2013 in NEWS

In a 2007 interview with Stephen Chan (陳志雲), award-winning actress Anita Yuen (袁詠儀) revealed that she was once involved in a relationship with a married man before meeting current husband, Chilam Cheung (張智霖).

Anita had stated, “At the time, I didn’t feel like I was being taken care of, that I was being ‘kept.’ We experienced the pursuits, the dating, the cohabiting, the arguing, and the breakup. He pursued me first. Each [dating] event followed one after another. We were a couple. If I was being kept, I wouldn’t even have the right to argue with him, because then, I would just be a service.”

Maria Leitão (黎芷珊), who won Best Host at the TVB Anniversary Awards last year after the broadcast of her popular talk show Telling Maria, invited Anita to appear in an episode of the second series of Telling Maria <最佳女主角>.

On the show, Anita clarified her relationship with the married man once again. In various clips that were released at the premiere party of Telling Maria tonight, Anita was recorded saying, “I really felt like we had a normal dating relationship. I didn’t get the feeling I was being kept, that I was a mistress.” Anita added, “I don’t understand what it means to be kept.” Anita never disclosed the name of her former lover.

Besides Anita, popular film actresses and singers including Carina Lau (劉嘉玲), Veronica Yip (葉玉卿), Charlie Young (楊采妮), Kelly Chen (陳慧琳), Gigi Leung (梁詠琪), Sammi Cheng (鄭秀文), and Carrie Ng (吳家麗) were also invited to appear on the popular talk show.

Chilam’s Response

At an event held at the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong Hotel on September 26, Chilam Cheung was pressed about Anita’s interview on Telling Maria.

In regards to Anita’s confession about being involved with a married man in the past, Chilam said, “I have read reports [of the interview] and her response. She was describing a normal relationship they shared. If something unfortunate did happen, the most regretful thing is that I wasn’t able to meet Anita sooner, that I couldn’t protect her sooner. I am not perfect. I am not a saint. I have no right to request others to be perfect.”

Is Chilam offended by Anita’s past? He immediately said, “Of course not. Everyone has a past. This just makes me want to cherish her more. There shouldn’t be any secrets about it. It’s more important to establish and build our lives. That is something we cannot suppress.”

Sources: Apple Daily; Apple Daily

This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.

47 comments to Chilam Cheung on Anita Yuen’s Past Involvement with a Married Man

1. Lin Lina says:

Chi Lam loves Anita very much. A understanding and loving hubby, always protecting his wife.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lin Lina
    • HeTieShou replied:

Anita is really lucky to have such a sweet husband that loves her so much. He is lucky to have her as well since she loves him as well and is so honest. I think more problems would have occurred if Anita tried to hide it but she did not. It is the past so just let it pass…

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  2. RLF Lover says:

Genuinely touched by Chilam’s response. What a man.

Login or Register before you can reply to RLF Lover
    • Puff replied:

Indeed. They are both really blessed to have found each other. Chi Lam’s word described what true partnership should be, cherish someone irrespective of their past allows the couple to be more open and transparent, then a trust is cemented.

Login or Register before you can reply to Puff
  3. Lucia says:

Chilam is such a sweet, understanding, and
    benevolence husband. Anita must be a good wife so that is why Chilam protects her. Anita has beautiful eyes.

Login or Register before you can reply to Lucia
    • Nigel replied:

Yes I love her eyes very beautiful

Login or Register before you can reply to Nigel
  4. lol says:

Chi lam is always good at responding only complains on his webio which is very kind

Login or Register before you can reply to lol
  5. Hannahh says:

Sweet couple! always so supportive to each other.

Login or Register before you can reply to Hannahh
  6. Yum says:

Who was the married man? I think Anita Yuen’s eyes is what retains the little youth she still has.

Login or Register before you can reply to Yum
  7. bloom says:

I admire Anita Yuen for the courage to admit her past. Yes, most of us have done something wrong or silly in our lives. But, not all of us are daring enough to openly admit the mistakes that we make, as we’re afraid of shame, people talked behind us, the image etc etc. Yes, I admire her courage & glad Anita met Chilam who is not only supportive but admirable.

Login or Register before you can reply to bloom
    • Nigel replied:

Yes indeed her honesty is so rare esp among celebs in HK. I love them beautiful couple

Login or Register before you can reply to Nigel
  8. Shrimpboat says:

the most regretful thing is that I wasn’t able to meet Anita sooner

That just melt my heart. They’re definitely one of my most favorite celebrity couples, along with Nick & Esther.

Login or Register before you can reply to Shrimpboat
    • Yen replied:

“..that I couldn’t protect her sooner. ”
      THE BEST!!!!

Login or Register before you can reply to Yen
    • Nigel replied:

Swoon ….:)

Login or Register before you can reply to Nigel
    • AutumnPiglet replied:

Totally agree!

Login or Register before you can reply to AutumnPiglet
  9. clementine says:

And that ladies and gentlemen, is a real man. They are both made for each other. Very touched by their supportive nature for each other and genuine understanding and respect.

Login or Register before you can reply to clementine
  10. Guest says:

I really adore their relationship, they are both meant for each other, its like a complimentary relationship, Anita is more outgoing and talkative, a little bit tempered while Chilam is soft. Good response from Chilam.
    p/s: Still wondering if they will want a baby girl, she will be extremely gorgeous omg, andI bet I bet Chilam will pamper her daughter with everything

Login or Register before you can reply to Guest
    • Kidd replied:

I remember Chilam said in one radio interview some years ago that he prefers son because no need to worry so much. A daughter, one will about her being taken advantage of.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Funn Lim replied:

Son is as worrying because your son may end up taking advantage of another.

• HeTieShou replied:

I used to think that having a son means that you do not have to worry about him getting pregnant and being taken advantage of. However, you would have to worry about him taking advantage of others and impregnanting others. Basically, whether it be a boy or girl, there will always be worries but just different kinds of of worry.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  11. Racoon says:

Way to burn your own husband by going on a talking show telling the world you used to date someone who already got a wife, maybe a kid.

Western society, i wouldn’t mind but this is Hong Kong. I guess things changed.

Login or Register before you can reply to Racoon
    • tris replied:

I know,exactly my thoughts. what else can they say? i dislike his or her past? I guess every mistress can use her words: We experienced the pursuits, the dating, the cohabiting, the arguing, and the breakup. He pursued me first. Each [dating] event followed one after another. We were a couple. If I was being kept, I wouldn’t even have the right to argue with him, because then, I would just be a service.”
      Those are great excuses to hear but but i am sure the wife of that married man will think differently?

Login or Register before you can reply to tris
      • irene replied:

That’s what I felt too.

Did she really regret being a mistress? Or she is downplaying? I didn’t the other articles regarding on this.

The way she put in above article, doesn’t really sound like she regretted.

Yes, seems like the married’s man wife is forgotten.

Login or Register before you can reply to irene
      • LP replied:

In the interview she did with Stephan Chan, she admitted she was being materialistic and unrealistic. She said it was hard to not fall for someone who was so attentive, sweet, and thoughtful, but in the end, she knew she had wake up from the dream. She was the one who wanted to end the relationship with the married man.

Login or Register before you can reply to LP
      • Kidd replied:

“Well a mistress is a mistress if you accepted a sum of money for sexual service no matter how one put it.”

So, if a boyfriend gives his girlfriend gifts, the girlfriend is considered as “accepted a sum of money for sexual service”?

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • Funn Lim replied:

That is called a prostitute. Different from mistress.

• windy replied:

Yup, my cousin from HK always say HK people are getting more and more OPEN now. Haha LOL…. So these kind of articles proves her point.

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
    • Yum replied:

It was a known secret in the industry. .

Login or Register before you can reply to Yum
    • Kidd replied:

I’m sure she already told her husband before talking about it in the talk show. I don’t think Anita will talk if Chilam was not ok with it.

People made mistake. I’ve heard her ‘Be My Guest’ interview. She admitted she was wrong and she also realised she was wrong. That’s why she finally broke up with the man. She was just telling how she thought and felt at that time.

Why the double standard? The act is the same. Why it’s ok in western society and not in eastern society?

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
      • bizzybody replied:

@Kidd, both of them have been together for so long. Like you, I would agree that Anita has already told Chilam what she will be sharing in the talk show.
        It’s a mistake which she has made and before anyone (public/media) can get the sordid details from a third party to add some twist and turn to damage her reputation, it would be better if she admitted it by telling her own version in as little details as possible.
        It’s showbiz. A secret cannot be kept forever. Besides, no one is perfect and Anita is not claiming to be one.

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
  12. hgxfz says:

omg if i only find someone like chilam…
    it seems like guys like him are now extinct >___> LOL
    anita is sooo lucky…im jealous ;__;

Login or Register before you can reply to hgxfz
    • HeTieShou replied:

Women like Anita are rare too. She loves Chilam, takes care of him and is willing to admit her faults to him as well. She is also low maintenance compared to a majority of actresses who are really demanding and high maintenance. Basically, they are lucky to have each other.

Login or Register before you can reply to HeTieShou
  13. sureeez says:

Oh wow! I am kind of taken back that Anita would disclose it…but I am glad she did. Shows that she’s not afraid and obviously she wouldn’t keep Chi Lam in the dark about it.
    Chi Lam’s response really shows their bond. This is something for not just the Asian media to pay attention to, but seriously, for people all over the place. Awesome.

Login or Register before you can reply to sureeez
  14. timmie says:

ya right. celebrities. the next thing we know … they’ll be calling a divorce. it’s normal. it’s a trend. it’s celebrities’ lives! 🙂

Login or Register before you can reply to timmie
  15. natasha says:

Since she did get involve with a married man before without the consideration of the wife’s feelings, i m sure she will be able to accept and handle if one day her husband were to have an affair with other women.

Login or Register before you can reply to natasha
    • gil replied:

Ya agree with u. In other words,dun do unto other ppl husband if u do not wan others to do unto your husband.

Login or Register before you can reply to gil
    • bizzybody replied:

Yup. Thou shalt not commit adultery.
      While 18 is a young age and gullible girls are easily taken advantage of, those with strong moral principles would know that they are being a third party to another relationship. Unless she was cheated by the man who may have claimed to be single in order to pursue her.
      On another though, maybe that’s why modern people don’t want to get married. Their famous excuse of ‘it’s just a piece of paper and if we love each other it’s not important’ actually means that
      if not married, they can have affairs, sleep around and technically, in their mind it’s not considered as committing adultery.

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
  16. ita says:

From her response, she doesn’t seems to feel regret that she once was the “3rd party”.

She doesn’t feel being kept and it is normal dating relationship. So what’s the different? At the end still the “third party”. Or say it harshly still a hu li jing.

Login or Register before you can reply to ita
    • blurjen replied:

dont be too harsh. ita

Login or Register before you can reply to blurjen
    • bizzybody replied:

I understand what you’re saying and your anger. I also felt if Anita were to disclose this matter, she should also take the opportunity to apologise to the family of the man if she has hurt their feelings in any way due to her actions then. Even though the identity of the man is not disclosed, it doesn’t mean the man’s wife/family is not aware of the affair.
      She may be 18 and taken advantage of then, but she’s in her 40s and has her own husband and child. She should understand how it would feel if her hubby were to keep a mistress.
      I did not watch the actual talkshow, but from the above article, Anita is just admitting to her past sins and trying to defend her actions by saying she doesn’t feel like being kept as it’s just like a normal relationship. However, she did not sound remorseful of her actions and the hurt it may cause to the wife/family of the adulterer man she was with.

Login or Register before you can reply to bizzybody
    • windy replied:

Exactly, at the end of the day, she is still very much the 3rd party who wrecks up a family of the married man’s wife and possibly kids as well. Of course, she can give whatever excuse she wanted now since she still has a bit of popularity but if she is a nobody, no one will even care to listen to any sort of excuses and calling her a cheap woman.

Login or Register before you can reply to windy
  17. Volyana says:

At that time she was still very young, 18 years old, as she matured, she regretted & stopped it, to prevent further damage.
    Anyway…we have no rights to judge others……

Login or Register before you can reply to Volyana
  18. Dude Lee says:

I wonder how many of you idiots would be so non-judgemental and forgiving if you were the spouse or the child of a cheater?

Login or Register before you can reply to Dude Lee
    • Kidd replied:

The fact is we are not the spouse or the child of the cheater.

So, there is nothing for us to forgive.

Login or Register before you can reply to Kidd
  19. Cleo says:

REALLY? I think they have true love but Hong Kong society does not like adultery and definitely mistresses/homewreckers even before the Northern Aunties and the extreme celebrity incidents like Joseph Lau’s wife and her cancer. I highly doubt Miss Hong Kong was with a married man before her husband. Also, those types of married men usually have to pay for dates – I mean they tend to be pretty lame – imagine the most eligible bachelor in the world and he is going to have to pay someone to deal with him if he is already spoken for …

I find this hard to believe and I know Hong Kong people hate nonconservative conduct no matter how the news has “evolved” in the past decades.

TSK.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cleo
  20. Cleo says:

plus I don’t even like if someone touches me without permission – I mean it is a permanent anger – like wanting to snip off their fingers with scissors. I cannot IMAGINE that Chilam wouldn’t want to axe that married man in the skull knowing that he exploited Leng Leng when she was vulnerable.

TSK.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cleo
  21. Cleo says:

THINK ABOUT IT. Not one normal Chinese dad would accept some frog getting their greasy fingers on their daughter and a married man is not a prince on a white horse and her dad is a COP. They would have to take a number to see WHO would get to stab the idiot first like Murder on the Orient Express.

Login or Register before you can reply to Cleo