The past week in Chinese entertainment was tested with several cheating scandals, in which one was already proven to be true. The second scandal, centering on Hong Kong actor Hawick Lau (劉愷威), is still looking quite dubious.
Last week, a Chinese tabloid reported that Hawick and his costar, Angel Wang (王鷗), had spent a copious amount of time together on the set of their television drama, The Legend of Jade Sword <莽荒紀>. The pair were shooting the show in Karamay, Xinjiang. A video, showing Hawick entering Angel’s hotel room, was shared by the tabloid.
After the news broke, Hawick and Angel respectively released statements to denounce the rumor. Hawick expressed his shock, claiming that he went to Angel’s room to only “go over [their] script” together, but added that he has learned his lesson about working with his costars at night. He then threatened to pursue legal action. His wife, actress Yang Mi (楊冪), responded to the rumor by saying that she “completely believes” in Hawick.
Angel’s manager released a long statement apologizing to friends and Angel for failing to protect her. The manager then explained that, due to Karamay’s weather, most of the actors and scriptwriters had to get together in the hotel after filming to discuss the following day’s work.
“The rumor is a tub of dirty water,” the manager added.
In response to Hawick and Angel’s statements, the original tabloid that exclusively revealed the scandal released a long list of observations, detailing Hawick and Angel’s moves during their days together in Karamay between October 12 and October 19. The tabloid, known as Fun Studio, added that their observations can be proven by video recording.
October 12, 2016: “Birthday celebration”
- 8:30 p.m., the cast and crew, including Angel Wang and Hawick Lau, return to their hotel building after a full day of shooting.
- Around midnight, a group of people go to Hawick’s hotel room to celebrate his birthday.
- 1:00 a.m., Angel returns to her hotel room to rest.
October 13, 2016: “Live stream”
- 9:00 a.m., Angel leaves her room to get her makeup done. The commute from the hotel to the film studios is about 15 minutes.
- 11:30 a.m., Angel officially starts filming.
- 12:50 p.m., the crew is off for lunch.
- 1:20 p.m., the cast and crew take a group picture for Hawick’s birthday. Angel is standing next to Hawick.
- 1:30 p.m., Hawick does a live stream at the Karamay film studios.
- Around 8:00 p.m., a very exhausted Hawick returns to his hotel room after a full day of work. He’s holding many birthday flowers.
October 14, 2016: “Drinking party”
- Karamay is having a level 8 storm. The lead actors are resting in their hotel.
- 3:00 p.m., Angel and Hawick’s two assistants leave the hotel to buy snacks, vegetables, and fruit.
- 8:00 p.m., Hawick brings a bottle of alcoholic beverage to Angel’s room. He spends two hours there, along with a few staff from the film set.
October 15, 2016: “First time alone together”
- Filming during the day.
- 9:00 p.m., Angel and Hawick return to their hotel together, and retire to their respective rooms.
- 10:30 p.m., Hawick leaves his room to eat dinner with Angel in her room. They are with other people.
- 12:30 a.m., Hawick leaves Angel’s room with a female staff (later known as the drama’s scriptwriter). After seeing the writer back to her room, Hawick returns to Angel’s room. They spend three hours together.
- 2:45 a.m., Hawick retires to his room. No one goes into Angel’s room for the rest of the night.
October 16, 2016: “KTV gathering”
- They film during the day. Around 5:00 p.m., Angel returns to her room. Hawick returns to the hotel at around 8:30 p.m.
- The cast and crew have a karaoke gathering. They retire to their respective rooms around midnight.
October 17, 2016: “Second time alone together”
- 7:00 p.m., Angel returns to her room and changes into a new set of clothes.
- 8:15 p.m., Angel’s assistant brings food into her room, and then leaves.
- 8:30 p.m., Hawick enters Angel’s room. The two are alone for nearly four hours.
- Around 12:30 am., Hawick returns to his room to rest. No one goes in Angel’s room for the rest of the night.
October 18, 2016: “Third time alone together”
- 9:30 p.m., Angel returns to her room to rest.
- 10:00 p.m., Angel’s assistant returns with food. 5 minutes later, Hawick enters Angel’s room. They are alone.
- 10:20 p.m., Two assistants enter Angel’s room. They leave with plates and utensils.
- 1:30 a.m., Hawick leaves Angel’s room. No one enters Angel’s room again. They just spent nearly 3 hours alone together.
October 19, 2016: “Crew resumes work”
- Assistant enters Angel’s room around 6:00 a.m. to grab something. The assistant shows up in Angel’s room again at around 9:00 a.m. to wake her up. Around 9:40 a.m., the pair leave the hotel. Angel’s assistant is seen going in and out of Angel’s room all day.
Note: This article was updated on November 22, 2016 at 12:38 AM to include additional details about the night of October 15, 2016.
This article is written by Addy for JayneStars.com.