Louisa Mak Has Reduced Income Working as a Business Consultant

By on March 12, 2020 in NEWS

Louisa Mak Has Reduced Income Working as a Business Consultant

Known as the most highly educated Miss Hong Kong winner, Louisa Mak (麥明詩) downgraded her contract with TVB from a full-time artiste to a per-series contract. Capitalizing on her law degree, she now works as a business consultant with McKinsey & Company. Louisa’s everyday work schedule is now drastically different, and her income has been reduced significantly.

In the 500th episode of Young and Restless <#後生仔傾吓偈>, Louisa made an appearance through a video chat session. Although her work base is in Hong Kong, she often has to fly to different locations for her consulting work. Currently working on a consulting project in Taiwan, Louisa said that her new job allows her to have weekends off and time to socialize with friends. While she has a pursuer, their relationship hasn’t advanced because she is working in Taiwan.

Asked when she will be returning to treat the Young and Restless cast for dinner, Louisa said, “I need to be honest, my income has really dropped. I now realize what it means to work based on your interests and passions. I finally understand the hardships that workers go through, as I have to wake up at 7 a.m. every day to go to work. Although we had to wake up early sometimes for filming, but now I have to work from morning until night.” Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Louisa has been working remotely inside her hotel.

Good friend, Crystal Fung (馮盈盈), teased Louisa and asked when she will come back to work at TVB, perhaps in a management position at the station. Louisa laughed good-naturedly, “Maybe there will be a possibility.”

Source: HK01

This article is written by Hailey for JayneStars.com.

Louisa Mak Downgrades Her TVB Contract

17 comments to Louisa Mak Has Reduced Income Working as a Business Consultant

1. m0m0 says:

quite surprised that she was paid better at tvb. did she have sponsors or just her salary at tvb? she wasn’t even that popular. consultants are pretty high paid b/c they are required to travel and dynamics of the job.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
    • anon replied:

@m0m0

What is high paid? You make under 100k usd per year as a business consultant when you’re starting with no prior experience. I don’t consider that high pay.

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
      • m0m0 replied:

@anon
        i consider anything more than 60k usd per year for new entry not low pay. i recall 20 years ago entry level consultants were paid 50k+ usd per year for IT.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
    • jimmyszeto replied:

@m0m0
      Do you know the money you get from being a celebrity? A few adverts is more than the salary as a business consultant and that is even when she isn’t even popular. What TVB provides are all these unlimited opportunities to earn millions externally. Even small time celebs like Katy Kung and Koni Lui earn huge and they are nobodies in HK….

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • m0m0 replied:

@jimmyszeto
        of course celebs make more but i wouldn’t consider consultants a low paid job. i know a few consultants friends, they make good $$ not even mid-career.

Login or Register before you can reply to m0m0
      • jimmyszeto replied:

@m0m0
        Consultant is a specialist job so won’t be low paid in comparison to the average person but compared to what Louisa was making as a celebrity and what she can potentially make if staying in the entertainment industry then it’s barely pennies. This is just a flash in the pan and Louisa is just taking on this position to show that she is intelligent. She will head back into the entertainment industry very soon believing she has proved herself. She is definitely no Kate Tsui or Tracy Chu yet…..

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • luye replied:

@jimmyszeto You compare Louisa to Kate & Tracy. First, Kate is a lot older & was in TVB a lot longer than Louisa. As for Tracy, she said she studies law as a back up plan because fame in entertainment industry is not guaranteed. Louisa is diff because she is a lot younger & she is on a per series contract. But who knows if she will return

Login or Register before you can reply to luye
  2. anon says:

How she can consult large corporations when she does not have a strong business background is quite puzzling.

As far as I know, she’s worked for TVB full time straight out of university.

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
  3. anon says:

@m0m0

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
  4. coralie says:

That’s pretty impressive – McKinsey & Company is renowned for its consultation services. But I guess that’s not too surprising considering Louisa’s diverse educational background in law and media. I don’t think a business degree is all that’s needed to manage corporate portfolios either. People in the company need legal advice for clients, too.

I like her in Young & Restless. She brings up actual facts and intellectual discussions regarding day-to-day life and I appreciate that. Hope we will still see her there.

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
  5. anon says:

@coralie

McKinsey & Company doesn’t even offer legal consultation services.

She probably works with a team of consultants on a project because I wouldn’t want to hire an unqualified solo consultant to advise my Fortune 500 company without a strong business background with zero case studies that shows results.

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
    • jimmyszeto replied:

@anon
      I agree that advice should come people with a successful business background. However, I doubt Louisa’s role is fully individual responsibility for the fortune of a business client. More likely she offers advice in her specialist area as part of a professional consulting team…

Login or Register before you can reply to jimmyszeto
      • anon replied:

@jimmyszeto

That’s the only way I see it working. The article makes it appear like she’s tackling on Fortune 500 companies alone in her hotel room. Lol

Login or Register before you can reply to anon
      • coralie replied:

@anon I didn’t read this as her tackling industries head on by herself. That wouldn’t make sense. Unless she’s senior in her role as a consultant, I don’t see solo assignments like these ever landing into her lap. Not now, at least.

Login or Register before you can reply to coralie
  6. pocky says:

Waking up at 7AM is considered early?!? My wife and I get up at 6:30AM. But that’s still considered late, as I have friends who get up at 5:30AM to commute to work.

Login or Register before you can reply to pocky
  7. jingxi2943 says:

she probably makes $500k a year as actress and owns rental properties…likely $200k for Mckinsey..not too shabby hey..hee

Login or Register before you can reply to jingxi2943
    • anon replied:

@jingxi2943

I’d be shocked if she made 200K USD per year with McKinsey in Hong Kong, as that is the salary for experienced business consultants with over 10 years of experience in that market.

Payscale indicates that Business Consultants in HK average between 50K USD/year for an entry-level position topping out at 100K/year USD with bonuses.

My estimate of 100K/year from my post above is already generous.

If she worked in the US, 100K/year starting, with her credentials, should be the minimum expectation in the legal field. Don’t forget that she graduated with a law degree from Cambridge and already has an attorney licence that she claimed she completed.

Login or Register before you can reply to anon